Ongoing Alaska Chat new February - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 02-25-2009, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
So has your dp checked in with you? Any possibilities yet?
He visited a couple of district offices, and I think plans to visit another one or two. Unfortunately pretty much everyone right now is just saying that they plan to be at the big job fair in april--that's awkward for us cuz it's so expensive to get up there. He may come up for it if he has to, but we're hoping he wont' have to. Nobody is making any commitments yet though--which we expected, but still it's a little frustrating

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#62 of 71 Old 02-25-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
He visited a couple of district offices, and I think plans to visit another one or two. Unfortunately pretty much everyone right now is just saying that they plan to be at the big job fair in april--that's awkward for us cuz it's so expensive to get up there. He may come up for it if he has to, but we're hoping he wont' have to. Nobody is making any commitments yet though--which we expected, but still it's a little frustrating
Ick. That DOES sound frustrating.. has he submitted his online applications? I know that ASD does it that way, and then they request an interview if they have an opening in that correct area/age group..

I have gone to the job fairs, but I never applied for jobs there (my dad was teaching a seminar there once and I went to help)..
#63 of 71 Old 02-26-2009, 04:48 AM

Jenni,

You should try for Ketchikan. Nothing like Anchorage, but nothing like Pelican either! We could always use some more crunchies here...though I don't really know what that means!?

Hey, are you the one that has met discojoy?
#64 of 71 Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 PM

I'm home! Wayne made it in at 2:33 this morning with 10 dogs. 15th place which is the last position to be in the money. The dogs looked great, Wayne looked tired, all as should be lol. I slept this morning with only one layer of clothing on, horizontal, with my super duper pillow of the gods! It's great to be home. Now I'm just resting around the house until I need to start getting ready for the finish banquet tonight. That should be great fun! I'll be writing up my trip report and stories with pictures sometime this weekend hopefully.
#65 of 71 Old 02-28-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I'm home! Wayne made it in at 2:33 this morning with 10 dogs. 15th place which is the last position to be in the money. The dogs looked great, Wayne looked tired, all as should be lol. I slept this morning with only one layer of clothing on, horizontal, with my super duper pillow of the gods! It's great to be home. Now I'm just resting around the house until I need to start getting ready for the finish banquet tonight. That should be great fun! I'll be writing up my trip report and stories with pictures sometime this weekend hopefully.
sounds like great fun! nice placement too! Whooo Hooo!
#66 of 71 Old 03-01-2009, 06:24 PM

Very impressive placing!! Congrats

Any Anch folks out enjoying Fur Rondy yet? Looks like a gorgeous day outside. We're headed downtown to see the sights. I got talked into doing the Run w/the Reindeer which I've heard is a hoot. And, no, I have heard from people involved that the reindeer are not abused. Thought we'd try the snow sculptures, too.

What else have people done? I heard the Frostbite Footrace was a blast & included many costumes. Also heard snowshoe Softball was way too much fun.

Think we'll skip the pricey short rides.
#67 of 71 Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 PM

My kids were in the Fur Rondy Parade yesterday. They were the baby panthers on the Rilke Shule float.
#68 of 71 Old 03-02-2009, 02:59 PM

No plans to do anything with Fur Rondy this year. Andrew took the older two and his dad to the Running of the Reindeer last year and they did a few other things, I think, but I didn't go, as we decided it was too cold to bother bundling Natalie up. I think we're going to head out and try to see some of the Iditarod, though. This is our last chance for who knows how long, so want to make sure we see it.
#69 of 71 Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akemt View Post
Jenni,

You should try for Ketchikan. Nothing like Anchorage, but nothing like Pelican either! We could always use some more crunchies here...though I don't really know what that means!?

Hey, are you the one that has met discojoy?
yep, i know discojoy.
we've looked at some of the other towns in SEA (sitka, juneau, ketchikan, even petersburg) but they have a lot of the same downsides as pelican does. I know they are much bigger, but in terms of the things we really want (some land, animals, garden, the job stability of a big district) pretty much all of SEA is out of the running. We're probably going to apply in juneau, but nowhere smaller. and the problem with juneau even is that it's built out--there are no cheaper suburbs to live in. and unless we can get cheap suburbs, we cant' afford to live in Alaska on a single income teachers salary.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#70 of 71 Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
yep, i know discojoy.
we've looked at some of the other towns in SEA (sitka, juneau, ketchikan, even petersburg) but they have a lot of the same downsides as pelican does. I know they are much bigger, but in terms of the things we really want (some land, animals, garden, the job stability of a big district) pretty much all of SEA is out of the running. We're probably going to apply in juneau, but nowhere smaller. and the problem with juneau even is that it's built out--there are no cheaper suburbs to live in. and unless we can get cheap suburbs, we cant' afford to live in Alaska on a single income teachers salary.

So Fairbanks is out? It seems like it has what you listed as looking for. Animals and garden is a bit more of a challenge due to our temps but they are doable.
#71 of 71 Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM

I agree. I hold a special place in my heart for Fairbanks. It is an awesome town with lots of stuff to do and great people. Plus you get all the advantages of being IN ALASKA!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page