Anchorage/ Mat-Su VBAC Advice - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 48 Old 08-21-2009, 02:02 AM
 
Millicent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Way to go Treetop!!! Your body rocks!
Millicent is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 of 48 Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 AM
 
Millicent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just thought I would share about what is happening in VBAC scene right now:

Providence is clamping down on its VBAC policies. Continuous Fetal monitoring is now required. Supposedly only Bell and the Geneva Woods Midwives are doing VBAC, and in limited numbers.

Elrod is still rockin' the house. I was just told by Peggy Downing, MD in the valley that she has two CNMs working for her that do VBAC. I don't know what her practice's rates are but it sounds like the Mat-Su Region is the place to go.

VBAC group? The Alaska Birth Network is starting monthly public info & support meetings in October. Maybe our first topic will be VBAC since there is so much interest. We plan to have it at the One Family Birth Center, time and date TBA. I'll post it here. There was talk at our last meeting about making VBAC a major focus for us this year.

Good news is that the State Midwifery Board is now working towards changing the regulations so that potentially, VBAC out of hospital could be a legal option. They have to make some legislative manuvers and face the fury of the AMA. They cannot do it without our help. Seriously, those of you who want to see this happen will have to step up to the plate and work for it. Alaska Birth Network can help coordinate the effort. We'll need people to rally support, collect signatures, donate funds, organize letter writing & phone call campaigns, host a fundraiser, etc. So who is game? If you think you can help or just want to stay in the loop, join our yahoo group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...abirthnetwork/ or visit our website www.alaskabirthnetwork.org and enter your email on the homepage or pm me here. We'll get you plugged in!
Millicent is offline  
#33 of 48 Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 AM
 
Ak Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBACtivist View Post
I just thought I would share about what is happening in VBAC scene right now:

Providence is clamping down on its VBAC policies. Continuous Fetal monitoring is now required. Supposedly only Bell and the Geneva Woods Midwives are doing VBAC, and in limited numbers.

Elrod is still rockin' the house. I was just told by Peggy Downing, MD in the valley that she has two CNMs working for her that do VBAC. I don't know what her practice's rates are but it sounds like the Mat-Su Region is the place to go.

VBAC group? The Alaska Birth Network is starting monthly public info & support meetings in October. Maybe our first topic will be VBAC since there is so much interest. We plan to have it at the One Family Birth Center, time and date TBA. I'll post it here. There was talk at our last meeting about making VBAC a major focus for us this year.

Good news is that the State Midwifery Board is now working towards changing the regulations so that potentially, VBAC out of hospital could be a legal option. They have to make some legislative manuvers and face the fury of the AMA. They cannot do it without our help. Seriously, those of you who want to see this happen will have to step up to the plate and work for it. Alaska Birth Network can help coordinate the effort. We'll need people to rally support, collect signatures, donate funds, organize letter writing & phone call campaigns, host a fundraiser, etc. So who is game? If you think you can help or just want to stay in the loop, join our yahoo group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...abirthnetwork/ or visit our website www.alaskabirthnetwork.org and enter your email on the homepage or pm me here. We'll get you plugged in!
Wow I had no idea that Prov was clamping down. What about Regional? What spurred their decisions?

But that is AWESOME news about the potential to have out of hospital VBACs. You made my day! (Besides having a nice conversation with Kirsten today)
Ak Mom is offline  
#34 of 48 Old 08-22-2009, 02:04 AM
 
MTAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am from Helena. I met a gal just before I left that was part of the local ICAN group. She said the head OB from St. Pete's came to a meeting and said that he would rather women show up and refuse the c-section than risk the drive to Great Falls or attempt a HVBAC.
MTAK is offline  
#35 of 48 Old 08-22-2009, 03:19 AM
 
roadfamily6now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anchorage, ALASKA
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBACtivist View Post
I just thought I would share about what is happening in VBAC scene right now:

Providence is clamping down on its VBAC policies. Continuous Fetal monitoring is now required. Supposedly only Bell and the Geneva Woods Midwives are doing VBAC, and in limited numbers.

Elrod is still rockin' the house. I was just told by Peggy Downing, MD in the valley that she has two CNMs working for her that do VBAC. I don't know what her practice's rates are but it sounds like the Mat-Su Region is the place to go.

VBAC group? The Alaska Birth Network is starting monthly public info & support meetings in October. Maybe our first topic will be VBAC since there is so much interest. We plan to have it at the One Family Birth Center, time and date TBA. I'll post it here. There was talk at our last meeting about making VBAC a major focus for us this year.

Good news is that the State Midwifery Board is now working towards changing the regulations so that potentially, VBAC out of hospital could be a legal option. They have to make some legislative manuvers and face the fury of the AMA. They cannot do it without our help. Seriously, those of you who want to see this happen will have to step up to the plate and work for it. Alaska Birth Network can help coordinate the effort. We'll need people to rally support, collect signatures, donate funds, organize letter writing & phone call campaigns, host a fundraiser, etc. So who is game? If you think you can help or just want to stay in the loop, join our yahoo group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...abirthnetwork/ or visit our website www.alaskabirthnetwork.org and enter your email on the homepage or pm me here. We'll get you plugged in!

Oh! I :heart: you!!!
I wish I could have stayed longer today. I missed some good stuff apparently.
I will do my best to step up and help out! As you know, VBACs are my passion. I will do my best for you all!
roadfamily6now is offline  
#36 of 48 Old 08-22-2009, 11:59 AM
 
Millicent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our next Alaska Birth Network meeting will be on September 13th at 3pm at One Family Birth Center in Anchorage. Come if you want to get involved. If you are an expecting mama in need of support or info, pm me and i'll get you connected.
Elke
Millicent is offline  
#37 of 48 Old 08-25-2009, 03:41 AM
 
an_aurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes Providence is awful regarding VBACs....Dr Richey will also do them but as a whole Prov has a very high c/s rate. Dr Bell does VBACs but he has many more repeat c/s and I know he encourages repeat c/s over VBACs.

CPST & mom

an_aurora is offline  
#38 of 48 Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 PM
 
roadfamily6now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anchorage, ALASKA
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Yes Providence is awful regarding VBACs....Dr Richey will also do them but as a whole Prov has a very high c/s rate. Dr Bell does VBACs but he has many more repeat c/s and I know he encourages repeat c/s over VBACs.
Please dont tell me that. I have a momma coming in from the Island to VBAC there.
roadfamily6now is offline  
#39 of 48 Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM
 
2andcounting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Ladies!!!

I havent been around in almost a year now, but I am now training to become a birth doula and I thought I would swing by and see what was hoppin'!

First of all, I wanted to share my FABULOUS VBAC birth story for baby Grace, who was born 7/11/09.

I had began my pregnancy seeing Dr.Creary at Anchorage Women's Clinic. Well, 'seeing' is probably the wrong term, since I only saw her about 3 times. I saw just about every midwife and provider in their clinic, and everybody responded with shock when I told them I wanted to VBAC. At 34 weeks, I switched to Dr.Bell at the recommendation of my SIL. I just have to say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Dr.Bell!! He was 1000% supportive of my VBAC and told me the only conditions for me delivering at Regional (my hospital of choice) were that I had to have continuous fetal monitoring. I hired a doula and she was fab, Bell was supportive of that as well.

I had a 6 hour labor and delivered a healthy and beautiful 10lb 10oz baby girl!! I always knew there was a good use for my wide hips The nurses at Regional were great and the post partum rooms are HUGE!

Love it!!

*ERICA* mom to Emma (3), Addison (2), and Grace (1mo)
~Nurse~ ~Doula~ Anchorage, AK
2andcounting is offline  
#40 of 48 Old 08-31-2009, 02:31 AM
 
roadfamily6now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anchorage, ALASKA
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2andcounting View Post
Hello Ladies!!!

I havent been around in almost a year now, but I am now training to become a birth doula and I thought I would swing by and see what was hoppin'!

First of all, I wanted to share my FABULOUS VBAC birth story for baby Grace, who was born 7/11/09.

I had began my pregnancy seeing Dr.Creary at Anchorage Women's Clinic. Well, 'seeing' is probably the wrong term, since I only saw her about 3 times. I saw just about every midwife and provider in their clinic, and everybody responded with shock when I told them I wanted to VBAC. At 34 weeks, I switched to Dr.Bell at the recommendation of my SIL. I just have to say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Dr.Bell!! He was 1000% supportive of my VBAC and told me the only conditions for me delivering at Regional (my hospital of choice) were that I had to have continuous fetal monitoring. I hired a doula and she was fab, Bell was supportive of that as well.

I had a 6 hour labor and delivered a healthy and beautiful 10lb 10oz baby girl!! I always knew there was a good use for my wide hips The nurses at Regional were great and the post partum rooms are HUGE!

Love it!!


ROCK ON! that is a nice big baby!

So, do you all think Dr. Bell would be okay with a VBA2C if the women has had a few VBACs in between her 2 c-sections?
roadfamily6now is offline  
#41 of 48 Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM
 
2andcounting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think he would probably be okay with it, especially since she has had vaginal births and a proven pelvis. Doesnt hurt to ask, right?

*ERICA* mom to Emma (3), Addison (2), and Grace (1mo)
~Nurse~ ~Doula~ Anchorage, AK
2andcounting is offline  
#42 of 48 Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM
 
roadfamily6now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anchorage, ALASKA
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
right!
roadfamily6now is offline  
#43 of 48 Old 09-04-2009, 07:01 PM
 
Millicent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go ask Dr. Bell. Tell him you are a doula/with the Birth Network and want to start referring clients but you need to know his parameters. I think it would be a good thing for all of us advocate/doula types to build solid professional relationships with as many O.B.s as possible. Especially the friendly ones.
Millicent is offline  
#44 of 48 Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 PM
 
Samanthavv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I attempted a VBAC, and I went through Dr. Lindemann, with Denali OB-GYN. I was incredibly impressed with him.

He was NOT on call the day I went into labor, and some other doctor was supposed to be in charge, but when Dr. Lindemann was informed I was in labor, he came in anyways. I was kind of suprised and asked him why, and he said that this particular doctor on call, he wasn't sure if they'd give me a fair shot at a VBAC. We went a good 11-12 hours, and I did AMAZING for those 11 or 12 hours. And I am VERY proud of that. I didn't use any drugs until hour 11 when I had a small dose of stadol.

I ended up with a repeat cesarean, but I did my very best, and I couldn't be happier with how my birth with my son went.

I think the important part, was that I went into the birth with absolutely no expectations except to have a healthy baby and do the absolute very best I can.

[B]Due on Valentine's Day.
I refuse to be sliced again and I'm documenting my efforts not to be.
Samanthavv is offline  
#45 of 48 Old 09-06-2009, 04:33 AM
 
naserian907's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had a successful (drug free) VBAC with my 8 lb. 10 oz. daughter at Providence 9 days past my EDD. I used the midwives from Geneva Woods, and had an incredibly positive experience.

I had planned to have a home birth with my son. However, my water broke and despite trying numerous natural labor inducers, I just did not go into labor. 24 hours later we had to go to the hospital to be induced, and one intervention led to another, and ultimately I ended up with a cesarean.

This time around, I was determined to have a VBAC. I had many concerns about having to do it at the hospital and wanted to avoid all interventions, if possible. I was told by the midwives at every single appointment that Providence had changed their policies and that I was going to have to be continuously monitored. I had a very negative attitude about the continuous monitoring and kept telling myself that I would insist on taking it off from time to time as long as the baby was looking good. It ended up not being too much of a hinderance and I ended wearing the fetal monitor the whole time (except a few trips to the bathroom). There are several nurses that are supportive of VBACs and I fortunately had a fantastic nurse. Dr. Bell was the on call back up, though we had no reason to call him.

It is possible to have a positive VBAC experience at Providence, even with the continuous monitoring policy. The Geneva Woods midwives were supportive and I fortunately had a fantastic nurse.

AK Mom to DS (05/07) and DD (07/09) :
naserian907 is offline  
#46 of 48 Old 09-07-2009, 12:45 AM
 
Millicent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is so great to hear! Hoorah and congratulations.
Millicent is offline  
#47 of 48 Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 AM
 
Anchorage Doula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry I'm not on here more often but I do have to mention that one of our doula gals attended a birth at Mat-Su Regional and her client had a vbac frank breech vaginal delivery there last week. They found out baby was breech after labor had begun and the staff called around until they found a Dr. who would deliver for her . . . Dr. Fitzgerald (should see if we can get him connected with ABN, Elke!). His stipulations were that the baby needed to be born in the OR and the mom needed an epidural just in case but the doula was able to go in with her client and have Dad (who was deployed) on Skype on her computer the whole time! Truely a postive encouraging story!
Anchorage Doula is offline  
#48 of 48 Old 09-07-2009, 02:15 PM
 
roadfamily6now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anchorage, ALASKA
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorage Doula View Post
Sorry I'm not on here more often but I do have to mention that one of our doula gals attended a birth at Mat-Su Regional and her client had a vbac frank breech vaginal delivery there last week. They found out baby was breech after labor had begun and the staff called around until they found a Dr. who would deliver for her . . . Dr. Fitzgerald (should see if we can get him connected with ABN, Elke!). His stipulations were that the baby needed to be born in the OR and the mom needed an epidural just in case but the doula was able to go in with her client and have Dad (who was deployed) on Skype on her computer the whole time! Truely a postive encouraging story!
omg!!!! that is awe inspiring!!
roadfamily6now is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off