Ongoing Alaska Chat for March! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What type of wood is the bedframe? I might be interested.
#62 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Do any of you wonderful ladies happen to have a good website or two with info about vaccines? I had earlier this year figured out what I was going to have Natalie get and what I wasn't going to bother with, and now I can't remember what I was going to do. A few I remember. I am looking most specifically on info about the MMR.
I like the National Vaccine Information Center. It looks like they have redone the website since I was there last though. http://www.nvic.org/
#63 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:

Also, does anyone want a cat? We are undecided about whether or not to take her with us, as I have heard so many times that cats don't move well and she'd be in the back of the truck with the dog from here to Vegas, then in a kennel, and we don't know what's happening after we get to Vegas -- whether we're staying there or moving on quickly. So, I am thinking that if I can find her a good home, she would do better to stay here.
Not I. But I wanted to say I drove here from Wisconsin with my two cats, two dogs and four birds. It took almost two weeks due to family visits along the way and a little border trouble in Canada. Avian flu epidemic and me bringing with me CITES listed pet parrots. I had to take a ferry and it was 5 days just for that with my van below deck housing my pets. I moved here in '04 and my pets were born between '94 and '97, so they weren't young. This was the largest move I made with my pets, but not the only one. I'm just saying, where there's a will, there's a way. and having been there done that, I may even be able to give you some tips about moving cross country with your pets.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#64 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 12:07 PM

I am not sure what kind of wood it is. We got the bed from my great-aunt when we got married and then it became Autumn's bed, but now that Natalie is needing to move out of the playpen we are going to get bunk beds for the girls, so have no need of it. If you're going to be in Wasilla at some point soon, you are welcome to swing by and have a look at it.
#65 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Also, does anyone want a cat? We are undecided about whether or not to take her with us, as I have heard so many times that cats don't move well and she'd be in the back of the truck with the dog from here to Vegas, then in a kennel, and we don't know what's happening after we get to Vegas -- whether we're staying there or moving on quickly. So, I am thinking that if I can find her a good home, she would do better to stay here.
Oh, poor baby! I would LOVE to take her, but alas I already have two and if I got another my dp might cut my head off.

He already is at the bottom of the totem pole compared to my felines, (I remind him on a regular basis that I had cats before I EVER had him, and I had to find room in the bed for HIM because the cats had already staked out their territory..).. most of the time I think he is quietly reminding himself that cats have a shorter lifespan than he does and he is quietly biding his time..

If you don't find her a home, have you considered keeping the cat in the cab with you? I have a friend that has her cat in the car with her all the time.. the cat is quite used to it.. I am not sure how safe it is, however.. mainly she lies down near the back window..

You're right, though, cats do NOT move well.. my mother's cat would fly in and out of town with her all the time.. and she would always hide out under the bed for DAYS when she got somewhere new.. and when me moved JUST ACROSS town, my cat got so mad at me she peed on my bed..

Just do NOT do this..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29672116?GT1=43001

Quote:
SPOKANE, Washington - The mysterious mewing in Vickie Mendenhall's home started about the time she bought a used couch for $27.

After days of searching for the source of the noise, she found a very hungry calico cat living in her sofa.
#66 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Do any of you wonderful ladies happen to have a good website or two with info about vaccines? I had earlier this year figured out what I was going to have Natalie get and what I wasn't going to bother with, and now I can't remember what I was going to do. A few I remember. I am looking most specifically on info about the MMR.
We do delayed selective vaxing, and I got most of my info from the CDCs pink book and from the package insert (in terms of learning what the efficacy rates were, side effects, etc). I know those are both pro-vax sources, but honestly I found them to have better documentation than a lot of other websites that just have anecdotal evidence with stories and suspicions, kwim?
anyway, I have written about my findings (and some of my thoughts about which ones to do/not do) on my blog. It's UAV for me to post the link here (cuz I have my etsy shop linked from there) but if you request it, I'm allowed to PM you the link to the applicable posts.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#67 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 04:39 PM

I've been thinking about pulling DS out of school and starting homeschooling. It's been a back and forth thing from the beginning, but at 5 he was an only child and all his friends were in school and we let him go because he was lonely. We found a nice charter school and I was ok with it (in spite of having always planned on homeschooling). Here in Pelican we have to send him for political reasons (his teacher is DH's boss, yes it's a huge conflict of interest for the superintendent to also be one of the teachers but that's how it is here). Anyway, his teacher is pretty inept, so we're workign with him on a lot of things at home anyway, and I would just pull him except 1--the politics and 2--he'd be lonely beyond all reason. there aer only two kids in town who are anywhere near his age, and they are at school.
ANYWAY, once we move up there I know that the school situation will be all new again...it may be that the school there will be good and we'll send him, but I'm also thinking that he would really benefit from being home too... the one thing that I KNOW is that if I have him at home we/he will NEED to have regular interaction with other kids. So I'm wondering if there are homeschool groups in the area that meet for playgroups or go on frequent field trips together or even do some co-op meetings or things like that. We'll be getting him into cub scouts and hopefully doing swimming lessons or some sports, but I really think he'll need some less-structured/unstructured time with other kids, since he doesn't have any siblings within 6 years of his own age and especially since come Nov I'll have a toddler and a newborn.

#68 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I've been thinking about pulling DS out of school and starting homeschooling. It's been a back and forth thing from the beginning, but at 5 he was an only child and all his friends were in school and we let him go because he was lonely. We found a nice charter school and I was ok with it (in spite of having always planned on homeschooling). Here in Pelican we have to send him for political reasons (his teacher is DH's boss, yes it's a huge conflict of interest for the superintendent to also be one of the teachers but that's how it is here). Anyway, his teacher is pretty inept, so we're workign with him on a lot of things at home anyway, and I would just pull him except 1--the politics and 2--he'd be lonely beyond all reason. there aer only two kids in town who are anywhere near his age, and they are at school.
ANYWAY, once we move up there I know that the school situation will be all new again...it may be that the school there will be good and we'll send him, but I'm also thinking that he would really benefit from being home too... the one thing that I KNOW is that if I have him at home we/he will NEED to have regular interaction with other kids. So I'm wondering if there are homeschool groups in the area that meet for playgroups or go on frequent field trips together or even do some co-op meetings or things like that. We'll be getting him into cub scouts and hopefully doing swimming lessons or some sports, but I really think he'll need some less-structured/unstructured time with other kids, since he doesn't have any siblings within 6 years of his own age and especially since come Nov I'll have a toddler and a newborn.
nak. wow there is plenty to do here with hsing! : It is very popular and the various businesses take advantage of that. gymnastics, hsing PE, swim lessons at a time of day specifically for hsers, art lessons, karate...... you get the idea!

My 5yo goes to Farm School here
http://www.springcreekfarmak.org/app...otoid=26974172
and loves it. It is a science-based outdoor ed program.

You can hook up with a correspondence school and get an allotment of apx $2000.00 per child to pay for activities, supplies etc. We use Twindly and are happy with them.

we had a thread going for a while. try a search for it.

i could say more but nak!
#69 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
We school through Twindly Bridge and love it. We are really going to miss the homeschooling opportunities that are available up here. As far as I know, all the different "schools" (charter or correspondence) offer classes on site and they will pay for other various classes. We've done tap and tumbling through a place here in town and the kids have loved doing it. They have classes during the day for homeschoolers, but also have classes at night. I know there are several places like that.

You do not HAVE to go through one of the programs, though. However, that is the only way to get the money from the state, which comes in mighty handy (especially in this house of book freaks). But different programs have different requirements, so you have to figure out what you want, what you are willing to deal with, and go from there.
#70 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have heard lots of good things about Frontier home school, which is through ASD, so your son could play sports etc with the public school kids.. I think you could find an active home school group with kids your sons' age- just about anywhere EXCEPT Pelican.
#71 of 166 Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 PM

I know dozens of people that use IDEA www.ideafamilies.org , including my sil.
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#72 of 166 Old 03-14-2009, 12:27 AM

Just figured this out

I think NMY stands for "Not (a) Mother Yet"

#73 of 166 Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just figured this out

I think NMY stands for "Not (a) Mother Yet"
Thank you! I think that is right!
#74 of 166 Old 03-14-2009, 12:16 PM

We are having a garage sale all day!!: Lots of good stuff, and I made a bunch of loaves of Challah to sell as well.
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/gms/1074550916.html
Come on by if you are in the area!!!!

#75 of 166 Old 03-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
We are having a garage sale all day!!: Lots of good stuff, and I made a bunch of loaves of Challah to sell as well.
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/gms/1074550916.html
Come on by if you are in the area!!!!

Oooh, I wish I could! I'm going to Anchorage with the church youth, though. I am chaperoning. Really interesting conversations are available with teenagers.
#76 of 166 Old 03-14-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

What kind of dooney and bourke do you have? We are doing a baptism today, so I can't make it, but still...
#77 of 166 Old 03-14-2009, 03:54 PM

I have two of them.
PM me with your email addy, and I will send you pics of them.
Paula

#78 of 166 Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 PM

to everybody on the homeschooling info. I am very relieved to see that there are so many options. I keep forgetting tha tAnchorage is actually part of the civilized world (unlike these little boony towns)
(no offense to the little booney towns or those who love them...but Im not meant to be a booney girl!)

#79 of 166 Old 03-15-2009, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have two of them.
PM me with your email addy, and I will send you pics of them.
Paula
I hope you found a good home for your birdies! I got two of mine from a lovely MDC mama! But we have 4 now, and that is PLENTY.. sometimes they don't know how to be quiet.
#80 of 166 Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I hope you found a good home for your birdies! I got two of mine from a lovely MDC mama! But we have 4 now, and that is PLENTY.. sometimes they don't know how to be quiet.
They are still here. I have them listed over on www.alaskaslist.com
I have had birds for many years, and I have finally had enough with the mess.
They waste so much food, spreading it far and wide, and the feathers?!!!??

#81 of 166 Old 03-15-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, redoubt sent up a 3 mile high plume! Maybe she hasn't sung yet!
#82 of 166 Old 03-15-2009, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They are still here. I have them listed over on www.alaskaslist.com
I have had birds for many years, and I have finally had enough with the mess.
They waste so much food, spreading it far and wide, and the feathers?!!!??
Yes, they DO leave a mess, but I wouldn't mind that so much if they would learn to be quiet once in awhile..

actually this summer I am going to sew a VERY dark cover for them.. (right now I just throw a spare sheet over them, and it isn't dark enough I think..)

Let me know if you think this would work.. Long piece of fabric sewn end to end to make a giant tube.. Sew an overlap on one end with a cord in it.. Slip tube over cage (ours is an oval with a round top) and cinch the cord at the top closed..

I want something fairly fitted for the cage since the sheet keeps getting trampled on, run over, pulled down by the VERY interested kids and kitties, etc..

I think the cord would eliminate me having to sew any puckers?
#83 of 166 Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, they DO leave a mess, but I wouldn't mind that so much if they would learn to be quiet once in awhile..

actually this summer I am going to sew a VERY dark cover for them.. (right now I just throw a spare sheet over them, and it isn't dark enough I think..)

Let me know if you think this would work.. Long piece of fabric sewn end to end to make a giant tube.. Sew an overlap on one end with a cord in it.. Slip tube over cage (ours is an oval with a round top) and cinch the cord at the top closed..

I want something fairly fitted for the cage since the sheet keeps getting trampled on, run over, pulled down by the VERY interested kids and kitties, etc..

That sounds like it would work. I don't have birds, so haven't made anything for bird cages, but I do sew and that sounds as good an idea as any.
#84 of 166 Old 03-16-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:

I think drawstrings are a great way to avoid sewing puckers (said as a professional seamstress )

#85 of 166 Old 03-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Your idea should work just fine!
Hey, we trained our birds to be quiet when asked them to LOL!
We used a tiny squirt gun, and when they were being extremly noisy, would give them a little sprinkle, along with a "quiet" command. They learned after only one squirt! The second time we tried it, all we had to do was show the squirt gun! It was so funny! THey jumped into the other corenr as quiet as mice
Now, Steve just has to go over their and tell them goodnight in a deep voice, and they tend to settle down quite well.

#86 of 166 Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 PM

Hey Ladies, I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to throw this out there. There a website that is pretty useful if you order-out all the time (Especially when your pregnant), savetable.com. They seem to have mainly Anchorage listings right now but I've seen a few Fairbanks, Valley, and Eagle River listings aswell. I found this site through another great one called alaska.womf.com. You should all check both of them out!
#87 of 166 Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Katak!
#88 of 166 Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 PM

Subscribing... once again, a million pages behind!

Hope everyone is doing well! I'm LOVING this sunshine. I'm hoping it will cure all that ails me

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#89 of 166 Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 PM

happy happy equinox (in just a couple days) I am SO happy to have the light back! I love that part of Alaskan living--that we get so much light half the year (it totally makes up for the dark half, )

#90 of 166 Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
happy happy equinox (in just a couple days) I am SO happy to have the light back! I love that part of Alaskan living--that we get so much light half the year (it totally makes up for the dark half, )
I'm a bit worried about bedtimes to come. Abigail notices when it gets dark outside and will put on her pullups, grab a blanket and go lie down while saying, it's dark 'inside' (she confuses in with out... inside down is a funny one she says, too. 'Look, Mommy, I'm inside down!'). I have a feeling that when it's light out and past bedtime, she'll say, but it's not dark 'inside'

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page