Ongoing Alaska Chat for March! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 166 Old 03-25-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend that has both her daughters in winterberry. She really liked it last year but this year one of her daughters has a teacher that has given a lot of homework, which seems contrary to the philosophy. I am not sure if that teacher is just new there or what, though.

This was a family that had homeschooled with this philosophy prior and wouldn't do any other as far as I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 166 Old 03-25-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairy_gamp View Post
Thanks. We've done the visiting but thought asking around for parent opinions would be helpful as well.

Aquarian's principal said they had a waiting list of over 300 before the lottery even started; we are now #120. In their annual report they claim having a waiting list longer than actual enrollment is a good thing; instead I think it indicates a large unmet need...

Well, i can see both sides of this one. If they have such a long waiting list, that implies that it is a good school that does a good job of teaching. But I can see your annoyance, as well. But maybe they don't have the resources to have more students. More students means more teachers and more room and whatnot and maybe that's just not possible right now.
#123 of 166 Old 03-25-2009, 04:30 PM

I have 4 kids in schools here and my favorite one is Rilke Schule

There is a thread here about it as well.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1001713

It might not be what you are looking for but ..........

Quote:

Kindergarten Practice Class - Final Class, April 18th
We know that a lot of families are curious to find out how an immersion class works. Thus, we are holding a practice German class for interested students and their parents/guardians on a Saturday morning. We are offering this class once a month from December through April to make it possible for all interested families to attend a simulation and see if our program is the right fit for their child. Parents will also be able to get answers to any questions they might have.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 from 10am to Noon at Rilke Schule.

Please register your child by calling 742-7455 or sending an e-mail to info@rilkeschule.org with your child's name, current age, your name, and a contact phone number.
#124 of 166 Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Well, i can see both sides of this one. If they have such a long waiting list, that implies that it is a good school that does a good job of teaching. But I can see your annoyance, as well. But maybe they don't have the resources to have more students. More students means more teachers and more room and whatnot and maybe that's just not possible right now.
Right. It's an indication that the school is doing something good AND an indication that more facilities need to be doing what they're doing.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#125 of 166 Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM

I have no water! Argh this sucks. And it's warm! I fear the pump has crapped out. I had a guy in my basement looking at it a few minutes ago, but he seems to have disappeared without a word, and I still have no water.

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#126 of 166 Old 03-25-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
I have no water! Argh this sucks. And it's warm! I fear the pump has crapped out. I had a guy in my basement looking at it a few minutes ago, but he seems to have disappeared without a word, and I still have no water.
oh that is lame! our pipes froze last month, and I was so excited to have my 'emergency water' available to use- I felt so prepared! (yeah, I"m a dork). I think the novelty would wear out pretty quick though- good luck!
#127 of 166 Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
Great, that sucks. I'm sorry.
#128 of 166 Old 03-26-2009, 02:12 AM

Oliviaism:

But mainly it was Jordan (10) that provided the belly laugh tonight, it was just Olivia (7) that let me know about it.

Olivia is a money saver. If she even finds a penny, she will stash it away in her "safe". Tonight she decided she wanted an ice cream cone so talked her brother into riding his bike to the little convenience store about 5 blocks away with her. She can't go by herself. So he told her if she would buy him an ice cream he would. They dig out all her change and only had enough for two small push ups. I told them that. Jordan KNOWS that. Yet apparently when he got there, the big ice cream cones that he loves was just too tempting and he put them up on the counter.

When they got home with their two push ups, Olivia was a bit upset. She said "But Jordan, wasn't you EMBARRASSED?" I asked what he would be embarrassed about, thinking "oh no" and knowing my son, he probably offered to sweep their floors for more ice cream. Lol Jordan said that it was kind of noisy there so when he put his money on the counter, the guy (they all know my son) told him he only had enough for two push ups. He thought the guy told him to DO two push ups. So he got down on the floor and started doing push ups. I can only imagine what the other customers thought. My eyes where tearing up I was laughing so hard. Yep, that's my son, will do push ups for ice cream!
#129 of 166 Old 03-26-2009, 03:13 AM

:

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#130 of 166 Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Way to burn off those calories!
#131 of 166 Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 PM

Yay for water!!! I have running water again! :

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#132 of 166 Old 03-26-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

What is UP with Redoubt? Guess its not over yet..
#133 of 166 Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 PM

I got my box of produce today, so it can erupt a few times between now and next Tuesday, when my next box is scheduled to arrive.

Hopefully some mail came in today. We're waiting on Netflix... Some more episodes of Star Trek: Voyager. Yes, we are geeks. Deal.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#134 of 166 Old 03-26-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Hopefully some mail came in today. We're waiting on Netflix... Some more episodes of Star Trek: Voyager. Yes, we are geeks. Deal.
Who am I to judge?.. I watch Star Trek episodes in order by season with my 10yo. We are on Next Gen Season 3. :

Oh yeah, and I FOUGHT to get to teach a scifi class.. :
#135 of 166 Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Oliviaism:

But mainly it was Jordan (10) that provided the belly laugh tonight, it was just Olivia (7) that let me know about it.

Olivia is a money saver. If she even finds a penny, she will stash it away in her "safe". Tonight she decided she wanted an ice cream cone so talked her brother into riding his bike to the little convenience store about 5 blocks away with her. She can't go by herself. So he told her if she would buy him an ice cream he would. They dig out all her change and only had enough for two small push ups. I told them that. Jordan KNOWS that. Yet apparently when he got there, the big ice cream cones that he loves was just too tempting and he put them up on the counter.

When they got home with their two push ups, Olivia was a bit upset. She said "But Jordan, wasn't you EMBARRASSED?" I asked what he would be embarrassed about, thinking "oh no" and knowing my son, he probably offered to sweep their floors for more ice cream. Lol Jordan said that it was kind of noisy there so when he put his money on the counter, the guy (they all know my son) told him he only had enough for two push ups. He thought the guy told him to DO two push ups. So he got down on the floor and started doing push ups. I can only imagine what the other customers thought. My eyes where tearing up I was laughing so hard. Yep, that's my son, will do push ups for ice cream!
LOL that is too cute!
#136 of 166 Old 03-27-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
I got my box of produce today, so it can erupt a few times between now and next Tuesday, when my next box is scheduled to arrive.

Are you kidding? I love Star Trek! My DH and I are big fans. We currently own all the Voyager shows and have watched them an embarassing amount of times.
#137 of 166 Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM

We're on season 5 of Voyager right now. I have to admit I'm going to be sad when we're done. I may have to buy a few seasons as I can see wanting to watch these again. Also, we're not getting TV hook-up next year in Bethel, so I'll want something to pop in after DS is in bed.

#138 of 166 Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
What is UP with Redoubt? Guess its not over yet..
I am soooooo over Redoubt! My BFF was coming up from Denver yesterday. She barely got out of Denver because of the snow storm there, only to spend the night in Seattle... and then get diverted back to Denver today I haven't seen her since Em was a wee babe!

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#139 of 166 Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 PM

Oh, I forgot.. I know there are some homeschooling mama's on this thread from the Valley. Just wanted to let you guys know we are running our after school program that is open enrollment (any school/homeschool can participate) at Scoops (the ice cream place on Nelson), upstairs in the party room from 4-5.

It's the second section of Secret Agent Lab (don't have to attend the first session) that deals with forensic science, spy science, etc. for K-6 kiddos.

It's starting Monday, but we still have a few spaces left so I thought I'd get the word out. You can check out our website (link in my siggy) if you are interested.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#140 of 166 Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Oh, I forgot.. I know there are some homeschooling mama's on this thread from the Valley. Just wanted to let you guys know we are running our after school program that is open enrollment (any school/homeschool can participate) at Scoops (the ice cream place on Nelson), upstairs in the party room from 4-5.

It's the second section of Secret Agent Lab (don't have to attend the first session) that deals with forensic science, spy science, etc. for K-6 kiddos.

It's starting Monday, but we still have a few spaces left so I thought I'd get the word out. You can check out our website (link in my siggy) if you are interested.
That sounds like fun!
#141 of 166 Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
I am soooooo over Redoubt! My BFF was coming up from Denver yesterday. She barely got out of Denver because of the snow storm there, only to spend the night in Seattle... and then get diverted back to Denver today I haven't seen her since Em was a wee babe!
My dp thinks we should blow it up.. unfortunately I think that would cause immense flooding..

how long can a volcano just keep going off for?

Eventually I would think a state of emergency would have to be called for villages that aren't recieving supplies due to too many canceled flights.
#142 of 166 Old 03-28-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
My dp thinks we should blow it up.. unfortunately I think that would cause immense flooding..

how long can a volcano just keep going off for?

Eventually I would think a state of emergency would have to be called for villages that aren't recieving supplies due to too many canceled flights.
DH just told me today that they said (they as in the powers that be)
it could stop tomorrow or go for a year. No One Knows! Ugh...... So off to buy some nylons to add as filters for our car and house air intakes.
#143 of 166 Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
DH just told me today that they said (they as in the powers that be)
it could stop tomorrow or go for a year. No One Knows! Ugh...... So off to buy some nylons to add as filters for our car and house air intakes.
yeah, dp demanded money this morning so that "I" could go buy him some pantihose.. um no..

There are plenty in my drawer that no longer fit, I threw them at him.. he said, "you sure I can have these?"

it would have been funny if he hadn't wanted them for something "manly"..
#144 of 166 Old 03-28-2009, 01:43 AM

oh dear, are we supposed to be using filters now? Is ash falling now? :

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
#145 of 166 Old 03-28-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle13 View Post
oh dear, are we supposed to be using filters now? Is ash falling now? :
there was some light ash here in Anchorage today but not really enough to tell. Still, it would be a good idea to get some filter protection Just In Case! With bursts nearly every day and only a few hours to reach us if the wind changes....it would be nice to be prepared.

I dont think we have to freak out or anything but just keep an extra gallon of milk in the fridge and keep the car full of gas.

Speaking of emergency.....I heard there was an avalanche today on the Seward Highway?
#146 of 166 Old 03-28-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Speaking of emergency.....I heard there was an avalanche today on the Seward Highway?
yep, radio said it was just south of Girdwood..
#147 of 166 Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 PM

So who knew, Redoubt has affected me down here after all...
DH has been abroad for 12 days and was supposed to get home today, but his return flight to Juneau was routed via Anchorage (I don't know why), and since the Anch airport is closed, well, he's stuck in Salt Lake.
Until the 2nd. There are so many people re-booking for Juneau that thursday is the first day they can get in.
So morning sick little me gets to do 16/17 days solo (instead of just 12).

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#148 of 166 Old 03-29-2009, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
So who knew, Redoubt has affected me down here after all...
DH has been abroad for 12 days and was supposed to get home today, but his return flight to Juneau was routed via Anchorage (I don't know why), and since the Anch airport is closed, well, he's stuck in Salt Lake.
Until the 2nd. There are so many people re-booking for Juneau that thursday is the first day they can get in.
So morning sick little me gets to do 16/17 days solo (instead of just 12).
Goodness. It might be faster for him to fly to Seattle and catch the ferry.
#149 of 166 Old 03-29-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
there was some light ash here in Anchorage today but not really enough to tell.
There is a layer on our van window shield, on our outdoor trash bin lids (they sit on our covered porch) and all the snow here looks so dirty. blech. Just in time to add to the foul stench that is break up in Alaska.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#150 of 166 Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
There is a layer on our van window shield, on our outdoor trash bin lids (they sit on our covered porch) and all the snow here looks so dirty. blech. Just in time to add to the foul stench that is break up in Alaska.
We got some last night too.
I was able to brush enough off the BBQ grill to keep in a jar. And our car is filthy! Ash and break up do NOT mix!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page