Jury duty - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got summoned for jury duty.
I am a SAHM and I have a 3 year old who has never been under the care of anybody else but me and my husband.
I don't see any exemptions pertaining to SAHMs in the questionnaire that I was given.
Will I then have to be forced to take my son to a sitter who he's never been with?
I tried calling the clerk but apparently all state employees are on a holiday today.

Also, if one is homeschooling their children, will they have to have tutors for the days that their mom is gone?

TIA!
#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2009, 02:16 AM

Sorry, I have never been called for Jury duty here in Alaska. Pretty good for living here 13 years!
When I turned 18 and became a registered voter in Montana, I was called up 3 times in 2 years!
#3 of 6 Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 AM

When you return the questionaire, attach a note that says you are the primary caregiver of children under the age of 10 years, that there is no way for you to obtain childcare and that your children have never been with anyone other than you. This will get you waived. And actually you should then get something in the mail (another questionaire) that is sent to Anchorage where you can state that same fact and they take you off the list.

Jenn
#4 of 6 Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM

Hmm...I've lived in Homer for 5 years and I've been called to Jury Duty 3 times. The first time I asked about it I was nursing an infant and I am a stay at home mom too so my baby had never been cared for by anyone else. The clerk said "You have to find a babysitter." I was shocked. But when I got called in, the judge excused myself and another mother of a young child. I just brought my baby with me.

The second time I had two children, both under three, and one an infant and nursing, I just assumed I couldn't be excused so I brought them with me when I got called in, but all I had to do was fill out a questionnaire and I never got called in.

The third time I called again to ask if I could be excused, and the clerk told me to write a letter stating the reason I couldn't attend at that time and then I could be excused. I was not told about any sort of list that I could be taken off permanently and I never received anything. Does it vary by city/borough? That would be nice to get myself on, since Homer seems to be a place you get called a lot (my dh has also been called 3 times, and is on it right now in fact).
#5 of 6 Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses.
Well, I sent the questionnaire back and have yet to get a reply.
I do eventually want to serve in the jury. I think it might be educational. But not when my kids are young.
#6 of 6 Old 04-07-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post
Hmm...I've lived in Homer for 5 years and I've been called to Jury Duty 3 times. The first time I asked about it I was nursing an infant and I am a stay at home mom too so my baby had never been cared for by anyone else. The clerk said "You have to find a babysitter." I was shocked. But when I got called in, the judge excused myself and another mother of a young child. I just brought my baby with me.

The second time I had two children, both under three, and one an infant and nursing, I just assumed I couldn't be excused so I brought them with me when I got called in, but all I had to do was fill out a questionnaire and I never got called in.

The third time I called again to ask if I could be excused, and the clerk told me to write a letter stating the reason I couldn't attend at that time and then I could be excused. I was not told about any sort of list that I could be taken off permanently and I never received anything. Does it vary by city/borough? That would be nice to get myself on, since Homer seems to be a place you get called a lot (my dh has also been called 3 times, and is on it right now in fact).
I don't think anyone can be taken off permanently.. each case set before the judge gets individually culled.. I think the only way to get taken off permanently is committing a federal felony? Maybe?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page