Alaskans chat in April! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last
Alaska and Hawaii > Alaskans chat in April!
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 12:06 AM 04-13-2009
Happy Spring!
Happy Easter!

Spent the afternoon doing much of nothing!
We colored eggs and then hid them in the yard.
Slowing cooking dinner and making a cheesecake. Sent DH to get some soda to cure his headache..........

How was your day!

BusyMommy's Avatar BusyMommy 12:12 AM 04-13-2009
Boy, that's really tough about the baby shower. I wouldn't have felt comfortable at all, either. Not sure what to do in that position. Would be nice to have a positive impact on a baby's life but not sure that's the right venue. Although...I did throw out an Ezzo book the other day.

Happy Easter !!!!!!!! Dinner's almost on the table--kids are outside in shorts playing football.
isras1's Avatar isras1 12:56 AM 04-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Well there are situations which call for bottle feeding babies - and I would certainly say if mom is possibly using drugs - thank god for formula.

A good friend of mine found out in her early 20s (from her mom's best friend) that mom did LSD while pregnant and during the 2 years she was "booby-fed." It suddenly explained the intense daydreams (flashbacks/hallunications) she had as a child. Needless to say, mom feels horrible now - but was very proud at the time to breast feed.

thanks for sharing, I hadn't thought of bottle feeding from that perspective. "Booby feeding" wouldn't be appropriate for moms that party, so yep- thank god for formula.

I too am sorry to hear about the baby shower. I adore the crunchy baby showers/blessingways. My favorite is when we do bellycasting and henna. Big crunchy fun.
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 01:23 AM 04-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Well there are situations which call for bottle feeding babies - and I would certainly say if mom is possibly using drugs - thank god for formula.
Good point. Drug using moms probably SHOULD bottle feed. However, I still feel bad for that baby considering its last 9 months- I can only imagine what that was like...

And also, cereal feeding a 6 week old? I don't think that would be good at all, drugs or no. I believe that is the earliest I have ever heard of someone feeding cereal..
tallanvor's Avatar tallanvor 02:18 AM 04-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Good point. Drug using moms probably SHOULD bottle feed. However, I still feel bad for that baby considering its last 9 months- I can only imagine what that was like...

And also, cereal feeding a 6 week old? I don't think that would be good at all, drugs or no. I believe that is the earliest I have ever heard of someone feeding cereal..

I've heard of people putting a little bit of cereal in the night time bottle as early as 6 weeks. I will even confess to having done that with my oldest. I didn't know any better. Had a much better idea of things when Aiden came along, and Natalie certainly didn't get any cereal in her bottle. In fact, as Autumn has a wheat sensitivity (possibly due to cereal too early??), I held off on giving Natalie any cereals at all until she was, I think, 7 months.
treetop's Avatar treetop 11:53 AM 04-13-2009
I just checked ADN and Redoubt's status is at orange. If she blows before I make to Anchorage tomorrow, I will scream, kick, and throw myself on the runway!
dislocator3972's Avatar dislocator3972 12:41 PM 04-13-2009
Hi guys!

I'm not officially an Alaskan yet, but I'm getting there as quick as I can, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

Some of you have seen my posts asking for advice about the move and about living in Fairbanks, and I really appreciate all your help. For those of you that haven't heard from me yet:

I'm Sarah. Married, expecting DD#1 at the end of August, graduating from undergrad this semester, working as a writer (so I can work from home with the kiddo coming), moving to Fairbanks within the next month, trying to make a decision about where to birth (I want=homebirth, DH=birth center, insurance=hospital), debating about CDing (this will probably be influenced heavily by whether or not we find an apt. with a W/D in the unit), and in general being super excited about all this great change!

So that's me! I'm rambling a bit because I'm just not as coherent as I was before the preggo hormones, but what are you gonna do?

I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you!
1stimestar's Avatar 1stimestar 12:45 PM 04-13-2009
Welcome Sarah. Let me know if I can be of help.

Tallanvor, good luck!
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 08:15 PM 04-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetop View Post
I just checked ADN and Redoubt's status is at orange. If she blows before I make to Anchorage tomorrow, I will scream, kick, and throw myself on the runway!
Um Yeah! I want to meet you.
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 08:16 PM 04-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Hi guys!

I'm not officially an Alaskan yet, but I'm getting there as quick as I can, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

Some of you have seen my posts asking for advice about the move and about living in Fairbanks, and I really appreciate all your help. For those of you that haven't heard from me yet:

I'm Sarah. Married, expecting DD#1 at the end of August, graduating from undergrad this semester, working as a writer (so I can work from home with the kiddo coming), moving to Fairbanks within the next month, trying to make a decision about where to birth (I want=homebirth, DH=birth center, insurance=hospital), debating about CDing (this will probably be influenced heavily by whether or not we find an apt. with a W/D in the unit), and in general being super excited about all this great change!

So that's me! I'm rambling a bit because I'm just not as coherent as I was before the preggo hormones, but what are you gonna do?

welcome! the more the merrier!
onyxravnos's Avatar onyxravnos 11:23 PM 04-13-2009
hi Sarah.

there are plenty of crunchy people here in fairbanks. The midwives in town run the birthcenter as well as do home births so I would hook up with them ASAP and you can go from there on the birth you want. They take most insurance and look into Denali Kid Care which will cover the pregnancy / birth and DOES cover the midwives.

I would be happy to do a cloth diapering 101 with you if you feel you need it. and Blueberry baby here in town sells them and they have much much information.
tallanvor's Avatar tallanvor 10:12 PM 04-14-2009
I'm getting sad! We are leaving for Las Vegas on Monday. As in, moving there and none of us are happy about it. But it's not time for us to get out of the service, so we're rather stuck with it. But I have decided that Alaska is home, this is now where I'm from. I never really knew how to answer that before because I've moved so much, even as a kid, but I think I am claiming Alaska now. I DON'T WANNA GO!!!!!!
1stimestar's Avatar 1stimestar 11:47 PM 04-14-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I'm getting sad! We are leaving for Las Vegas on Monday. As in, moving there and none of us are happy about it. But it's not time for us to get out of the service, so we're rather stuck with it. But I have decided that Alaska is home, this is now where I'm from. I never really knew how to answer that before because I've moved so much, even as a kid, but I think I am claiming Alaska now. I DON'T WANNA GO!!!!!!
Oh you poor girl. I know how you feel. I never had a home until I got here 5 years ago. I had a state where I was born, but never lived there over 6 months a couple of different times. Well, do what you have to do, enjoy the positives of where you are at the moment, and plan for the day you can move back HOME! Good luck and please keep us updated.
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 12:32 AM 04-15-2009
Quote:

Yes, I totally know how you feel.
Dont worry, you'll be back!
PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 12:46 AM 04-15-2009
Quote:
We will keep your spot in the milk co-op!
Paula
brightonwoman's Avatar brightonwoman 01:10 AM 04-15-2009
Redoubt is threatening again?!
NOOOOOO!!!! DH is supposed to fly up to anchorage this weekend for the teachers job fair. I swear, say your prayers, cast your spells, throw around whatever mojo you've got to make that silly volcano just wait until monday when he's safely back here!!!!! I don't need him stuck there (or unable to get there). We NEED for him to get a job up there!
brightonwoman's Avatar brightonwoman 01:15 AM 04-15-2009
Quote:
Hi Sarah,
I'm currently living in rural southeast (vaguely near Glacier Bay) but we're hopefully moving to the anchorage area this summer. (as in, we'd better move or I may get homicidal, I am NOT staying here I'm losing my mind!) We love Alaska but this town is a little too small and too rural.
Anyway, I'm not in Fbx, but have been making/selling cloth diapers for a couple of years, and could get you info and whatnot on getting going with making your own if you were interested. I know a couple of people who more or less learned to sew by making cloth diapers. Sure, the first few won't be too pretty, but hey, it's to catch poop, right?! and they'll get prettier with time.
fourgrtkidos's Avatar fourgrtkidos 03:35 PM 04-15-2009
Well Searhc has been less than helpful and the people in Tenekee aren't really moving fast on reopening their clinic..... so, Juneau it may be. Tenekee lifestyle is more of what I want though...........

Happy Spring.
1stimestar's Avatar 1stimestar 04:35 AM 04-17-2009
Try out Juneau. If you end up wanting more ruralness, Tanakee Springs will still be there.
TEAK's Mom's Avatar TEAK's Mom 04:49 AM 04-17-2009
We live in Juneau and have honestly been very happy here for the last decade. It isn't perfect, but there is much to love.
brightonwoman's Avatar brightonwoman 12:56 AM 04-18-2009
Day one of the job fair is down...Hubby interviewed with people from all over the place (we know where we hope to end up, but we've decided to not close any doors until we know which ones are actually open...) he definitely seems to have a foot up since he's already Alaskan, already has the AK cert etc (he said there were a LOT of people up from the lower 48, don't know how common that is, but I know everybody down there has budget crunches right now so I'm sure that's contributing). Anyway, he's also endorsed in both math and English...so that gives him another leg up... : and : and everybody send your good karma our way cuz we need for him to get a job out of this, preferrably sooner rather than later.

OT, but I just discovered this smilie. Oh I love it!!
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 12:59 AM 04-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
(he said there were a LOT of people up from the lower 48, don't know how common that is,
pretty common, for that conference, actually..

the math AND English endorsement will help him a TON..
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 01:17 PM 04-18-2009
There were gunshots behind my house last night. How horrible. We were woken up about 2 am or so.. and the police officer just came over this morning to talk to us about it.
brightonwoman's Avatar brightonwoman 03:46 PM 04-18-2009
Quote:
There were gunshots behind my house last night. How horrible. We were woken up about 2 am or so.. and the police officer just came over this morning to talk to us about it.

Maybe I don't want to be your neighbor after all
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 04:15 PM 04-18-2009
Quote:
Yikes!

we had that happen when we lived in CA. (SCARY!)

When we lived in AK (Fairbanks and Delta) it was quite common but for totally different reasons! LOL

Here, in Anchorage, they do have people shootings rather too frequently for my taste. And I certainly DONT want to hear any gun shots near my home!
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 04:15 PM 04-18-2009
Quote:
Day one of the job fair is down...Hubby interviewed with people from all over the place (we know where we hope to end up, but we've decided to not close any doors until we know which ones are actually open...) he definitely seems to have a foot up since he's already Alaskan, already has the AK cert etc (he said there were a LOT of people up from the lower 48, don't know how common that is, but I know everybody down there has budget crunches right now so I'm sure that's contributing). Anyway, he's also endorsed in both math and English...so that gives him another leg up... : and : and everybody send your good karma our way cuz we need for him to get a job out of this, preferrably sooner rather than later.

that is so awesome! Good Luck to your DH!
BusyMommy's Avatar BusyMommy 04:51 PM 04-18-2009
Quote:

Don't worry, it's uncommon. Although now that it's Break-up Season, all of our neighborhoods are icky esp w/that nice coating of ash on top.
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 07:00 PM 04-18-2009
Quote:

It's uncommon.. in fact, the people that did this are not my neighbors. The people that did it were out late, got in a confrontation of some kind, and... honestly I bet 10 to 1 the people that are responsible for this don't live anywhere near me.. so this could really have happened ANYWHERE.
PaulaJoAnne's Avatar PaulaJoAnne 06:36 PM 04-20-2009
Happy Birthday To You, Pinoikoi
:::
isras1's Avatar isras1 07:38 PM 04-20-2009
Quote:
Hi guys!

WELCOME! When are you planning on driving up? I've done the ALCAN a few times, I'm sure that I'm not the only one. I know of a Doula network in Fairbanks, send me a message if you are interested. :

Quote:

: good vibes to DH and you! I just figured out how to multi-quote, cool.

AFM: I'm loving that everything is MELTING! I can now smell green in the air, which inspired me to go and buy some herbs and flowers at the greenhouse. This weekend, I'll get my veggie seeds started. Woot!
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last

Up