Forum Jump: 

#121 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
My theory on this is that it's because [almost] every Alaskan owns a gun
lol I'm beginning to think we'll need to pick some up just to fit in! The Discovery Channel just did "Alaska Week" (which is how I know that God is really behind this trip) and after watching an entire week of bears attacking hikers, we may need to get a gun just so that I'll leave the house!

I'm so excited to get up there. I think maybe I've always been an Alaskan deep down. . . I guess we'll see!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#122 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
If this is chix pox (too early to be sure) I'll be seeking out folks who don't mind there kiddos playing with a sicko. DS was home sick from daycare on Thurs & Fri due to a sore throat & general crumminess. He didn't want to come home last night. I have a social little monkey. Sorry you aren't up here yet.
I would appreciate being in on a pox party. My guys are 6 and 5 already. Hmmm I have an 8mo, I guess that is a problem!?!
#123 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Hello! I'm new to Alaska and new to the boards...we live in Eagle River...do working mothers congregate anywhere around Anchorage? I'm pretty active with my son...but always looking for more ideas for activities. I headed up a couple of groups in TN and was a children's library aide (i.e. storytime lady) ... but now am in a more traditional type job (erggggg) and am having *sniff* trouble finding friends (like-minded) locally. I know y'all are out there!

This thread seems to move in several different waves...interesting to watch!
#124 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 AM

My dp watches our kids while I am at work.. he does playgroups..
#125 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanojohnson View Post
Hello! I'm new to Alaska and new to the boards...we live in Eagle River...do working mothers congregate anywhere around Anchorage? I'm pretty active with my son...
How old are your kids? We have a lot of outdoor activities but probl in the age 5-9 range.

I would guess this board is split 50/50 working & SAHM. Maybe a bit more at home. Do you work summers, too?

Cara--I don't know. I *think* my youngest was under a year when he got Chx Pox.
#126 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
after watching an entire week of bears attacking hikers, we may need to get a gun just so that I'll leave the house!
Seriously, do a class in firearm safety. I did one once w/some girlfriends & it was worth it.

And, too bad, Anchorage just had a great presentation at the public library by Sean Farley about Bear Awareness;i e. dispelling myths and common sense, etc. Maybe you could catch something similar in Fbks?
#127 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 01:22 PM

He's four...and I don't care what 'kind' of mum I hang out with...I've been both in my days of parenting, stay at home and working, and work at home, and work part time...
#128 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrozncavegrl View Post
I would appreciate being in on a pox party.
I took DS to the doc yesterday. (He was there last week for a very sore throat & I was told to bring him back if he develops a rash) Turns out it is not chicken pox but fifths disease. So no pox party

I know chicken pox would be harder than fifths on DS, but at 1 year he's at the perfect age for a mild case. But I really wish it was chicken pox b/c I am 2 months preggo. I think there is a very high likelihood that I've had Fifths before & am therefore immune - but knowing I might get sick with something that could harm the baby is distressing. I'm debating getting the blood work to check for immunity just to feel better. But if it shows I am not immune than I just feel worse.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#129 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdanojohnson View Post
Hello! I'm new to Alaska and new to the boards...we live in Eagle River...do working mothers congregate anywhere around Anchorage? I'm pretty active with my son...but always looking for more ideas for activities. I headed up a couple of groups in TN and was a children's library aide (i.e. storytime lady) ... but now am in a more traditional type job (erggggg) and am having *sniff* trouble finding friends (like-minded) locally. I know y'all are out there!

This thread seems to move in several different waves...interesting to watch!
I am in Anchorage & work 3 days a week (Mon, Thurs & Fri). One option for activities is the Eagle River Nature Center - if you haven't found it yet. I've been a volunteer there for about 10 years. Right now I am leading monthly family friendly hikes. They are typically 2-3 miles and paced so that young walkers (3 years & up) can walk all or most of it. Big wheeled trail or jogging strollers are also useable on most of the trails, although it can vary depending on the season. My next one is May 17. They also have programs every Saturday for 5-12 year olds (Jr. Naturalist) and weekday programs every other week for 3-5 year olds (Knee-High Naturalist).

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#130 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I am in Anchorage & work 3 days a week (Mon, Thurs & Fri). One option for activities is the Eagle River Nature Center - if you haven't found it yet. I've been a volunteer there for about 10 years. Right now I am leading monthly family friendly hikes. They are typically 2-3 miles and paced so that young walkers (3 years & up) can walk all or most of it. Big wheeled trail or jogging strollers are also useable on most of the trails, although it can vary depending on the season. My next one is May 17. They also have programs every Saturday for 5-12 year olds (Jr. Naturalist) and weekday programs every other week for 3-5 year olds (Knee-High Naturalist).
Hey, I know you! We actually have done a couple of those! You're totally the best!

You just reminded me I need to sign up for the May one....

We have REALLY enjoyed the Nature Center so far. It has been such a gift to our family, and seriously, if any one on here is interested...sign up for Liza's hikes!

(P.S. I'm Chrissy, Xander is my son, the little blonde who was muddy mudderson during the April hike....)
#131 of 166 Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I took DS to the doc yesterday. (He was there last week for a very sore throat & I was told to bring him back if he develops a rash) Turns out it is not chicken pox but fifths disease. So no pox party

I know chicken pox would be harder than fifths on DS, but at 1 year he's at the perfect age for a mild case. But I really wish it was chicken pox b/c I am 2 months preggo. I think there is a very high likelihood that I've had Fifths before & am therefore immune - but knowing I might get sick with something that could harm the baby is distressing. I'm debating getting the blood work to check for immunity just to feel better. But if it shows I am not immune than I just feel worse.

This winter we had Hand, Foot, and Mouth go through our house. It was horrible. One of the kids got it so bad in her mouth she couldn't eat anything for days. (Luckily, I had home-made frozen turkey broth in the freezer...she slurped a bit of that down each day).

One got spots, but no illness, some got spots and got sick, etc.

I feel for you. Good luck!

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#132 of 166 Old 04-24-2009, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Any Alaskan chart experts want to analyze?
Based on what I'm seeing there today...it looks like AF is imminent. Of course, I don't have any expertise with any charts except my own, but I always get a big drop the day of (or the day before) AF comes. I also tend to have somewhat erratic temps though, and can appreciate the difficulty of pinpointing which bump was actually ovulation.

SO, one of the jobs DH is looking at (really interested in) is not a regular teaching job, it's actually working with the university in curriculum development...in Fairbanks. We were not really interested in going that far north, but the job has opportunities that regular teaching would not, and the pay is higher, so there's some real appeal there... so now all of a sudden we're considering Fbx (if they offer the job we will probably take it, regardless of other offers)... I had never considered Fbx before and am not quite sure what to think. I don't even know what is there! I know we've got a couple folks here from there though...so I may need to pick your brain soon here!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#133 of 166 Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 PM

fairbanks ROCKS!
#134 of 166 Old 04-24-2009, 04:24 PM

My husband is at Providence.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#135 of 166 Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Based on what I'm seeing there today...it looks like AF is imminent. Of course, I don't have any expertise with any charts except my own, but I always get a big drop the day of (or the day before) AF comes. I also tend to have somewhat erratic temps though, and can appreciate the difficulty of pinpointing which bump was actually ovulation.
Yeah, I was pretty confused until this morning.. I will say this chart seems a bit longer than most of my previous cycles, which was adding to my frustration.
#136 of 166 Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:

SO, one of the jobs DH is looking at (really interested in) is not a regular teaching job, it's actually working with the university in curriculum development...in Fairbanks. We were not really interested in going that far north, but the job has opportunities that regular teaching would not, and the pay is higher, so there's some real appeal there... so now all of a sudden we're considering Fbx (if they offer the job we will probably take it, regardless of other offers)... I had never considered Fbx before and am not quite sure what to think. I don't even know what is there! I know we've got a couple folks here from there though...so I may need to pick your brain soon here!
Cool! I love Fairbanks and wouldn't consider leaving here. Check out that other thread that has the info about moving to Fairbanks.
#137 of 166 Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Good luck to everyone doing the Heart Run today!! : Looks like a beautiful day in the making.
#138 of 166 Old 04-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Sorry I missed that he was IN the hospital. How is he now? Did they come up with a diagnosis?
#139 of 166 Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Sorry I missed that he was IN the hospital. How is he now? Did they come up with a diagnosis?
I updated the link about it. He was released the following evening, after staying the night for observation and oxygen. They never really gave him a diagnosis. But he wanted out because he was getting restless. He actually turned off the oxygen machine but left the hoses on and the doctor checked on him and said his oxygen levels were okay, but that he'd like to see them that level without the oxygen on. My husband laughed and said, I turned that thing off an hour ago. Yeah, he really wanted out. The only thing the docs thought could have caused it was from his smoking. They told him to quit. They gave him a prescription for the nicotine patches which cost about the same as his cigarettes, but he'll eventually quit the patches. He's still coughing and not breathing normally yet, but he's much, much better.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#140 of 166 Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 PM

Thank goodness!
#141 of 166 Old 04-26-2009, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Katreena, wow, I hope your DH is on the upswing. It sounds like he's got the willpower and that's great that he's got the patches to help. I have no personal experience with quitting smoking but they say it's hard but so worth it. My great grandpa died in his 50s from smoking-related causes, and my mom always wished she'd gotten to know her grandfather...her telling me about that was one thing that helped me never want to even try it.

Hey you Fbx-ers...there's not any kind of birth center up there is there? It's hospital or home? I don't think DH is on board with home yet...are there good midwives or OBs up there? My general experience with Alaska is that the providers/facilities are more naturally-minded than what I had available in Utah (the county where my last child was born had a 90% epidural rate ) My friend in ketchikan told me that at that hospital you could only get an epidural for a c/s, so I'm hopeful for other Alaskan hospitals!!

Still no word on jobs...we didn't expect to start hearing anything until this week anyway, and DH is going to make some calls and be all proactive about it. The waiting is making me crazy though!!! We move in 30 days and I would like to know where we're moving TO!

#142 of 166 Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Jenni,

Yes, we have a birth center (Alaska Family Health and Birth), with whom I've had a few of my kids. Two born in the birth center, one with the midwives at home. Dana and Cheryl are the head midwives here. You can always call and talk to someone at their front office. My almost-14yo was born with both Dana and Cheryl in attendance at their BC.

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#143 of 166 Old 04-26-2009, 11:15 PM

And, Jenni, if you choose not to go with the midwives, many of us have had great experiences with MaryBeth Gardner. She works with Interior Womens' Health as a Nurse-Midwife, and is the only NMW allowed to attend births (as primary caregiver) at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital.

One of my children was born before she went the hospital route, and was one of her last homebirth babies. She's fabulously well-informed, and really comfortable letting mothers who *think* make their own decisions.

There are a LOT of options up here.

love, p

#144 of 166 Old 04-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
I updated the link about it. He was released the following evening, after staying the night for observation and oxygen. They never really gave him a diagnosis. But he wanted out because he was getting restless. He actually turned off the oxygen machine but left the hoses on and the doctor checked on him and said his oxygen levels were okay, but that he'd like to see them that level without the oxygen on. My husband laughed and said, I turned that thing off an hour ago. Yeah, he really wanted out. The only thing the docs thought could have caused it was from his smoking. They told him to quit. They gave him a prescription for the nicotine patches which cost about the same as his cigarettes, but he'll eventually quit the patches. He's still coughing and not breathing normally yet, but he's much, much better.
Get them to prescribe him Chantix!!!! Seriously. It works so much better then the patches.
#145 of 166 Old 04-27-2009, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Jenni,

Yes, we have a birth center (Alaska Family Health and Birth), with whom I've had a few of my kids.
Quote:
And, Jenni, if you choose not to go with the midwives, many of us have had great experiences with MaryBeth Gardner. ... She's fabulously well-informed, and really comfortable letting mothers who *think* make their own decisions.

There are a LOT of options up here.
you have no idea how happy this makes me : A birth center birth was one thing that I was going to have a hard time giving up if we took the Fbx job.

DH starts calling people back today, so maybe hopefully we'll know something this week.

AND, in other fantastic news, we've had an offer on our house in UT! We were afraid we wouldn't be able to sell it because of the market, but renting long distance is so hard (BIL and FIL do live near there and have helped with being local management, but still...) Anyway, it's not your average offer, as the guy was not able to get financing, but he's made us an inventive offer (he wants to pay a lump sum now to have the option to buy at the current price in 2-3yrs, and meanwhile he wants to rent at a rate equal to our mortgage pmt). It's certainly different from anything I've ever seen, but it willgive us cash in hand now, plus a committed renter for at least a couple of years at which time he'll either buy or not...BUT even if he doesn't we have the potential for a better selling market at that time, and meanwhile a renter who actually cares about the place (ie, won't trash it) so THAT is really exciting! He's writing up an official formal offer for us today. BIL is a real estate lawyer, so he's going to help us write up a contract to make sure everybody is protected since this is a very non-traditional sort of arrangement. Anyway, I'm pretty : about it. Having some cash in hand will help us pay off some debt we've been trying to work on, which will have us in a happier financial situation as we're moving etc...and not having to worry about the house sitting empty will be nice...it's just a big weight off my shoulders (or, rather, it will be as soon as we get stuff signed--hopefully this week sometime!)

#146 of 166 Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
you have no idea how happy this makes me : A birth center birth was one thing that I was going to have a hard time giving up if we took the Fbx job.

DH starts calling people back today, so maybe hopefully we'll know something this week.

AND, in other fantastic news, we've had an offer on our house in UT! We were afraid we wouldn't be able to sell it because of the market, but renting long distance is so hard (BIL and FIL do live near there and have helped with being local management, but still...) Anyway, it's not your average offer, as the guy was not able to get financing, but he's made us an inventive offer (he wants to pay a lump sum now to have the option to buy at the current price in 2-3yrs, and meanwhile he wants to rent at a rate equal to our mortgage pmt). It's certainly different from anything I've ever seen, but it willgive us cash in hand now, plus a committed renter for at least a couple of years at which time he'll either buy or not...BUT even if he doesn't we have the potential for a better selling market at that time, and meanwhile a renter who actually cares about the place (ie, won't trash it) so THAT is really exciting! He's writing up an official formal offer for us today. BIL is a real estate lawyer, so he's going to help us write up a contract to make sure everybody is protected since this is a very non-traditional sort of arrangement. Anyway, I'm pretty : about it. Having some cash in hand will help us pay off some debt we've been trying to work on, which will have us in a happier financial situation as we're moving etc...and not having to worry about the house sitting empty will be nice...it's just a big weight off my shoulders (or, rather, it will be as soon as we get stuff signed--hopefully this week sometime!)
I think in these times we will start seeing more non traditional types of arrangements. I'm planning on making a similar one IF I get my taxes back.
#147 of 166 Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I think in these times we will start seeing more non traditional types of arrangements. I'm planning on making a similar one IF I get my taxes back.
It really helps me remember how much this state has changed (in many ways for the better..)since I had my first child.

It's hard to believe sometimes how *old* I am, compared to so many of the birthing mamas at the BC. It's a good thing, though. More slingin' mamas, more cloth, more nursing! :

love, penelope

#148 of 166 Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
It really helps me remember how much this state has changed (in many ways for the better..)since I had my first child.

It's hard to believe sometimes how *old* I am, compared to so many of the birthing mamas at the BC. It's a good thing, though. More slingin' mamas, more cloth, more nursing! :

love, penelope
{sigh..........} I miss Fairbanks sometimes.
#149 of 166 Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Wow! So I saw on the Weather Channel that it's supposed to be as warm in Fairbanks the next few days as it is here in Utah. We have made it to about an hour and a half south of Utah and blew the turbo on the truck. So we are now in a hotel that has a pool with a broken heater (and I can't swim in 60 degree water) in the middle of nowhere. There is a town, but it is at least 3 miles to get to anything, which means we're not going to town. I would walk, but Natalie can't walk that far and she won't let me carry her. We did go play on the playground and took the dog for a walk, and now Natalie is walking around the room being cranky. She really needs a good nap, but won't settle down yet. Autumn is resting and playing on the DS, and Aiden is upstairs at a table in the hall way putting together a Lego set that DH bought while we were at the Edmonton Mall. It's one of those huge technic kits that costs about $140 or so. Anyway, the sun is shining and there is grass here -- green grass even -- which is cool. Unfortunately, tomorrow we'll be leaving it all behind as we make it to Vegas.

So, what are all of y'all doing?
#150 of 166 Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Wow! So I saw on the Weather Channel that it's supposed to be as warm in Fairbanks the next few days as it is here in Utah. We have made it to about an hour and a half south of Utah and blew the turbo on the truck. So we are now in a hotel that has a pool with a broken heater (and I can't swim in 60 degree water) in the middle of nowhere. There is a town, but it is at least 3 miles to get to anything, which means we're not going to town. I would walk, but Natalie can't walk that far and she won't let me carry her. We did go play on the playground and took the dog for a walk, and now Natalie is walking around the room being cranky. She really needs a good nap, but won't settle down yet. Autumn is resting and playing on the DS, and Aiden is upstairs at a table in the hall way putting together a Lego set that DH bought while we were at the Edmonton Mall. It's one of those huge technic kits that costs about $140 or so. Anyway, the sun is shining and there is grass here -- green grass even -- which is cool. Unfortunately, tomorrow we'll be leaving it all behind as we make it to Vegas.

So, what are all of y'all doing?

You know, that sounds like just about every family vacation we ever took when I was a kid. We were usually lucky if the pool even *had* water, though.

Good luck with the Lego set!

As for what we're doing...it's officially Spring! We put the bike rack on the van, the girls did their chores, and I drove them into town to the gently-used store. They're riding their bikes to karate, then all the way home...I hate this first ride of the year, always worries me! Soooo glad for the beautiful weather, but I saw our first mosquito today....ugh.

love, p

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page