Alaskans chat in April! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 166 Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
You know, that sounds like just about every family vacation we ever took when I was a kid. We were usually lucky if the pool even *had* water, though.

Good luck with the Lego set!

As for what we're doing...it's officially Spring! We put the bike rack on the van, the girls did their chores, and I drove them into town to the gently-used store. They're riding their bikes to karate, then all the way home...I hate this first ride of the year, always worries me! Soooo glad for the beautiful weather, but I saw our first mosquito today....ugh.

love, p
Spruce, so nice to hear you posting again.
#152 of 166 Old 04-28-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Soooo glad for the beautiful weather, but I saw our first mosquito today....ugh.

YES!!! Mixed blessings :

And, yep, I hear ya on the 1st ride of the season. We're taking ours out bike camping & I'm a little nervous.
#153 of 166 Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM

:What would you ladies say, if I told you that we are in the very beginning stages of preparing for a Weston A Price Foundation Conference in Alaska, with the the main speaker being Sally Fallon?
It will be sometime in 2010, and hopefully it will be in the Valley, depending of course on what we can figure out for facilities.
:

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#154 of 166 Old 04-30-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
:What would you ladies say, if I told you that we are in the very beginning stages of preparing for a Weston A Price Foundation Conference in Alaska, with the the main speaker being Sally Fallon?
It will be sometime in 2010, and hopefully it will be in the Valley, depending of course on what we can figure out for facilities.
:
I would say I would need some links to find out some more info before I could say anything.
#155 of 166 Old 04-30-2009, 06:36 PM

www.westonaprice.org
www.realmilk.com

#156 of 166 Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I would say I would need some links to find out some more info before I could say anything.
I agree!

Thanks for the links! I am so out of touch..... that is some really fascinating stuff. I would love to attend and check it all out.

#157 of 166 Old 04-30-2009, 10:41 PM

I just checked out Nourishing Traditions from the library yesterday. Interesting. I am going through some kind of food intolerances right now, so am reading a ton about nutrition, and am very confused by it all. I pretty much eat the Nourishing Traditions way, (except for the raw milk products, which at this point I'm not eating any milk products at all and know that has definitely helped). But I'm still struggling for answers. There are so many different beliefs-acid/alkaline imbalances, the paleo diet, the candida diet....

Anyway, that would be an awesome conference and I would attend. Who's putting it together?
#158 of 166 Old 05-01-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post
I just checked out Nourishing Traditions from the library yesterday. Interesting. I am going through some kind of food intolerances right now, so am reading a ton about nutrition, and am very confused by it all. I pretty much eat the Nourishing Traditions way, (except for the raw milk products, which at this point I'm not eating any milk products at all and know that has definitely helped). But I'm still struggling for answers. There are so many different beliefs-acid/alkaline imbalances, the paleo diet, the candida diet....

Anyway, that would be an awesome conference and I would attend. Who's putting it together?
I am the chapter leader in Alaska for WAPF, so I am heading up the plans along with the lady who runs www.wolflakewellness.com

PM me and pick my brain on your diet.
I can likely help you out. Especially when it comes to working through intolerences and healing from them.
And, for what its worth, I am one of the raw milk co-ops leaders as well, though my group is in the valley.

#159 of 166 Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post

I should have mentioned to you, that Homer now has a raw milk co-op. The lady at the health food store is coordinating it.
And its milk from the farm in the valley.

Also, there is a lady from Washington that is moving to Homer soon, and she is planning on starting a Chapter for Homer.:

I would not worry about things like a candida diet, as a good TF diet ( did you know there is a forum on here just for that?) that includes lacto fermented drinks and foods, eliminates toxins from the body.

#160 of 166 Old 05-01-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
I am the chapter leader in Alaska for WAPF, so I am heading up the plans along with the lady who runs www.wolflakewellness.com

PM me and pick my brain on your diet.
I can likely help you out. Especially when it comes to working through intolerences and healing from them.
And, for what its worth, I am one of the raw milk co-ops leaders as well, though my group is in the valley.

ANy advice for helping get a really really picky boy that is incredibly stubborn to eat stuff besides Tomatoes and Ramen noodles?

He is also Hypothyroid. He was tested for Celiac but it came back negative.
Still I worry. I am currently researching Nutrition and Hypothyroidism but it is slow going. He was seeing the Ped. Endo but she sucks. Not happy at all with her care (if you can call a 3 minute appointment "care")
#161 of 166 Old 05-01-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
I should have mentioned to you, that Homer now has a raw milk co-op. The lady at the health food store is coordinating it.
And its milk from the farm in the valley.

Also, there is a lady from Washington that is moving to Homer soon, and she is planning on starting a Chapter for Homer.:

I would not worry about things like a candida diet, as a good TF diet ( did you know there is a forum on here just for that?) that includes lacto fermented drinks and foods, eliminates toxins from the body.

Cool, just in time for me to move (up your way)! I actually tried raw milk cheese, since that is all I really miss, and can't do it. However, I would like to get some and make yogurt for my kids, they go through a ton. I am happy to hear that Homer is getting a raw milk coop going though, I will pass the word on.

As far as the diet-I think I first need a diagnosis, which I don't have. When I go to Anchorage in June, I am planning on seeing someone. So right now I am trying to figure things out on my own, and it's daunting. I'll pm you though and pick your brain.
#162 of 166 Old 05-01-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
ANy advice for helping get a really really picky boy that is incredibly stubborn to eat stuff besides Tomatoes and Ramen noodles?

He is also Hypothyroid. He was tested for Celiac but it came back negative.
Still I worry. I am currently researching Nutrition and Hypothyroidism but it is slow going. He was seeing the Ped. Endo but she sucks. Not happy at all with her care (if you can call a 3 minute appointment "care")
First things first.
I am not a dr. and am writing form first hand experience only.
Second, its 1 in the morning and I am up, because I could not sleep
Hopefully everything wil make sense LOL!

Testing negative for Celiacs/Gluten intolerance is common, even if there actually is a problem.
For example, my dad has severe Celiacs, but all tests were/are negative.

The big indicator to me that your son likely has it, is that he is hypothyroid.
Did you know that Gluten allergies is one of the causes low thyroid?
I craved bread products all my life, and only recently found out by the process of elimination that it was having toxic effects on me.
Getting off of gluten causes the thyroid to heal!

I do not know how old your son is, so how you go about home testing will be subjective to his age.
Being very picky about foods is also an indicator to me that he has allergies.
The fact that Ramen is about all he wants/craves, on top of the hypothyroid shows he is likely very intolerent of wheat/gluten.
And to top it all off, Ramen has extremely high levels of MSG in it, which is a nuerotoxin, mood changer, etc.

If he is a bit older, say over 8, maybe you could start a "science" food project together.
have him write down, or tell you, how he is feeling at certain times of the day.
Does his head feel "fuzzy"? Does he want to sleep during the middle of the day, etc.
How does he feel before he eats the Ramen? What about after he eats it?
Talk about how you can make those things better.
And then go to the store and shop for gluten free noodles, butter and good cheese, and then go home and make a menu that includes trying one new vege on a certain day of the week, and includes no gluten for one week.
After one week, let him have something with gluten, again writing down the before and after feelings.
For me, the after feeling was horrible. Every muscle in my body hurt for 2 days.
But as soon as it cleared, I felt so very alive and like a brand new person.
I can honestly say, I have never felt this way, my entire life.

You stand a good chance of the pickiness getting better if he has gluten out of his diet, and is feeling better/different.
Paula

#163 of 166 Old 05-01-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Eewww. tomatoes. Yuck yuck yuck.

Sorry, but I cannot eat a raw tomato to save my life. The seedy party next to the firm part, next to the juice grosses me out.

I am a pretty picky eater too.
#164 of 166 Old 05-01-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but I cannot eat a raw tomato to save my life. The seedy party next to the firm part, next to the juice grosses me out.

Haha, and I love love love love fresh tomatoes. We grew them in our garden when I was a child/teenager, along with corn, potatoes, zucchini, green beans, cucumbers, rhubarb, and a variety of berries and fruit trees. The tomatoes were so yummy on a hot summer day.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#165 of 166 Old 05-01-2009, 05:11 PM

Hey, Tammy. If you go with Paula's suggestion of gluten free and are willing and ready to do some or all of your baking and cooking yourself, I know a lady in the Valley that does gluten free classes and also sells a lot of the gluten free ingredients (various flours, mostly). Let me see if I can find her website for you as I know she has some classes coming up.

http://www.gluten-freecentral.com/

She has had people from all over come to her classes. She knows mostly how gluten affects those with Celiac, but has been doing research on how gluten affects other issues. Anyway, though I'd throw that out there.
#166 of 166 Old 05-01-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I hated tomatoes as a kid--I've never been fond to tomato-based sauces either (spaghetti, on pizza, etc).
As I got into my teens I started liking chopped/sliced tomatoes in salads or pastas (or on pizza), but I still don't eat them plain. And I still don't like them in cooked forms. I do cook with them a lot, but I don't really like them in cooked forms...

DS, on the other hand...loves tomato soup, spaghetti, pizza, etc...he just won't touch them if he can see the shape of a tomato (fresh, or chopped in pastas, on shish-kabobs, etc) I figure everybody has something they don't like, so I don't usually sweat it. I don't eat mushrooms, he doesn't eat tomatoes. Oh well, more tomatoes for me.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page