Anyone have experience with Denali Kids Care? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be moving to Fairbanks in Mid-May, and delivering at the end of August. We just today found out that I will lose my insurance through work as soon as we move. I am 80% sure that I qualify for Denali Kids Care, though I'm nervous that maybe the income my DH and I have made year to date will work against us.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or with Denali Kids Care in general? I'm going to apply as soon as we get up there and get an address, can anyone tell me how much I could expect to be responsible for if I qualify? Co-pays, etc? I suppose I could also call the birth center since they probably have a lot of experience with this, but I'll have to wait until Monday to do that.

Thanks in advance!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 PM

I have used that before. If i recall right, it is totally free. But I also had Tricare as secondary inurance.

I do know that the birthing center can take DKC.

Get your kids on it too! They cover dental, eyes and medical. Whoo Hoo!
#3 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 10:52 PM

I've been covered by DKC for two of my three pregnancies, and my three kids are still covered by the program. I don't have any co-pays, and even my prescriptions are covered. I'm really grateful for this, since my births have all been c-sections, and also since my 2yo got her femur broken in February and had to stay two nights in the hospital. If you have more specific questions, you can feel free to pm me, and I'll be happy to track down answers.
#4 of 17 Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

This is so exciting! I can't believe that losing our insurance, a job and having one job scaled back would turn out to be such a good thing, but we knew we wanted a homebirth before we got pregnant, so we had saved up some $$ to pay for that. So now that the birth will likely be taken care of, that chunk of change becomes a nice little safety net for us!

I wish there was some way I could apply before we leave here, but I doubt I can get covered until I at least have an Alaskan address.

Thanks for your input!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#5 of 17 Old 04-25-2009, 03:19 AM

I would certainly get your paperwork in order as much as possible. You can download the application here. That way you can get it in as soon as you get established here. The DKC office used to be completely on top of things (got responses from them within a week of submitting my app, lovely to work with, etc.), but lately they've been a bit shorthanded, and turnaround time for applications has been...well, a bit slow. (When we had to renew in August, it took over a month to get a response. Hub had to go light a fire under them when we were renewing at the end of February, because our 2yo was actually in the hospital at the time, but they were really good about it.) If you haven't heard from them within a month of applying, call the office to check on your status.
#6 of 17 Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know if DKC uses last year's taxes or current income to determine eligibility?

I'm sure there's info about this somewhere on their website, but I'm not feeling up to digging through it right now (and anyway I should be working, not checking stuff out on MDC!).

TIA

#7 of 17 Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Does anyone know if DKC uses last year's taxes or current income to determine eligibility?

I'm sure there's info about this somewhere on their website, but I'm not feeling up to digging through it right now (and anyway I should be working, not checking stuff out on MDC!).

TIA
I just got my renewal form and it asks for income from the last 30 days.
#8 of 17 Old 04-27-2009, 07:35 PM

yep they ask for current info not last years. current statements all that.
and they cover everything no co-pays. including the midwives for low-risk. and any complications (you or babies) are also 100% covered

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#9 of 17 Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 PM

But they DON'T cover braces lol. My poor son...
#10 of 17 Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM

Double post!
#11 of 17 Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
But they DON'T cover braces lol. My poor son...
Even regular dental insurance is reluctant to cover those!
We have good dental insurance but they only cover orthodontics after 12 months and they only cover $1000 worth.

Not fair at all. THAT is the most $$ part of dentistry and most kids need Ortho these days.

It took us over 3 years to pay for my DD's braces. $5400 worth in the end and they did allow us to make payments and gave discounts when possible.

Get what you can done at the dentist office. They can do retainers and other "lite" ortho work and DKC will cover it. We had a special retainer covered by DKC a while back that cost over $800! We paid nothing.
#12 of 17 Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM

Oh thanks. I'll ask about it. We are going to the one you recommended. My poor guy, his baby eye teeth, as well as some of the back ones have not come out yet so his adult teeth are growing in, in the roof of his mouth. So it is a bit more necessary then just a bit of straightening.
#13 of 17 Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Oh thanks. I'll ask about it. We are going to the one you recommended. My poor guy, his baby eye teeth, as well as some of the back ones have not come out yet so his adult teeth are growing in, in the roof of his mouth. So it is a bit more necessary then just a bit of straightening.
That dentist was great. Really good with kids. My youngest first went at like age 2 and 4. He was the one that ordered up that special retainer for my DD. Her teeth were MESSED up! She ended up loosing that retainer like 3 weeks later! ugh!

I hope he treats you well.

here are some pics of my DD's teeth when we first got braces....I dont have any "after" pics yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Braces1-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Braces2-1.jpg
#14 of 17 Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyknits View Post
The DKC office used to be completely on top of things (got responses from them within a week of submitting my app, lovely to work with, etc.), but lately they've been a bit shorthanded, and turnaround time for applications has been...well, a bit slow. (When we had to renew in August, it took over a month to get a response. Hub had to go light a fire under them when we were renewing at the end of February, because our 2yo was actually in the hospital at the time, but they were really good about it.) If you haven't heard from them within a month of applying, call the office to check on your status.
They are shorthanded because they are in a hiring freeze.
#15 of 17 Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 PM

Oh, I didn't mean to say that they were deliberately being slow. Just as a heads-up.

Then again, it's difficult to believe they've been in a hiring freeze for almost three years, which was when my SIL started having trouble with them. (They took six months to review her application, and it was only sorted out a month before she delivered, and didn't end up covering some of her visits because they only pay 3 months retroactive.) You might want to get a copy of your application signed and dated if you take it in, or send it certified mail if you can't take it to the office. Just as a precaution so you can prove when they received your application.
#16 of 17 Old 05-03-2009, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
It took me a while to get the paperwork sorted out (self employed, all kinds of odd income sources), but KidCare has been great since then. Don't have to think twice about most things once you have it. And they cover lodging and travel if necessary.
#17 of 17 Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 AM

Yes, they DO cover braces. So don't let anyone tell you they don't. I made the call MYSELF and asked them personally. They accept KidCare, then they can do braces. They (orthodontist) just have to send in a plan and authorization form is all.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page