Moving to Oahu - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies! I need advice on moving- I am about to marry my soldier, who is stationed in Honolulu (he's in Iraq right now though). He wants me to go ahead and move over to be there when he gets home... a terrifying prospect!

I live in a studio apt, so I don't own a lot, but that also means everything I own is used frequently and not to be parted with unless mandatory.

I have a dog.

Though we aren't rolling in dough, we can spend money if necessary to do this right.

Is there any advice you can give on moving safely and as easily as possible?

I need info on which shipping co is the best (moving from FL).

Any advice on this would help so much!!!
Valarie

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok wow...I think I need to take a deep breath for you LOL.

Is there a way to wait until you get married and get command sponsored to come out here? There are some major costs associated with moving from Florida to Hawaii. I can't help you with shipping, maybe get quotes from Matson or Pods. There is a strict quarentine for your dog, 180 days, unless you do some very specific testing,etc beforehand. I'd look into that. The plane ticket will be expensive. Do you have a car? I'd budget at least $1500 to ship it from FL plus you'll be without it for about 4-6 weeks, depending on how fast it gets to the west coast and on the ship. Same goes for your stuff, we shipped our stuff in Jan and got it in March.

I'd personally try to come with what will fit in suitcases or can be mailed to you.

Try Craigslist for price ranges for apts, housing is expensive here. Near Schofield are the towns of Mililani, the North Shore and Wahiawa. Does he know where he wants to live?

Good luck!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

User Tag List