Traveling to Oahu in June - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We will have a 21 month old with us (and the whole extended side of DH's family). I was wondering if you could give me some ideas of things to do. We will be staying in Kailua.

We will have a rental car as well.

DH wants to island hop to the volcanoes (something about going to the Big Island), which sounds really interesting, so that may be an option (not sure if that would be too much for my son tough).

Anyway, we have about 8-9 days to do things, so I want to have scoped out a whole list prior to getting there

Thanks ladies!

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 02:37 AM

We love the Children's Discovery Center in Honolulu.

mama tocoolshine.gif  andbikenew.gif3rdtri.gifdue in November

Old 04-29-2009, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Discovery Center is lovely. We have membership to it.

I like the Aquarium. Go early so you can find parking on the street because street parking goes fast.

Kailua beach is great for families. We go there a lot.

If you like museums check out the Bishop Museum. It's one of the best museums of its kind. They have really fascinating stuff about polynesian culture.

Check out Chinatown. Lots of neat mom-n-pop stores and hole in the wall restaurants that are very good. Make sure you go there during the day not at night.

Drive around Oahu. You can do it in one day.

Don't spend too much of your time in Waikiki. It's a tourist trap. Whatever you buy there is guaranteed to be overpriced, not authentic, and most likely tacky. But if you've not been to Waikiki it's good to go there for the day to get a sense of the place.

Don't spend all your time on Oahu. Go to the Neighbor Islands. Each neighbor island has a different feel. Maui feels a lot like Oahu. Molokai is pretty undeveloped. Kauai is lush and green. The Big Island has the volcanoes.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbergirl View Post

DH wants to island hop to the volcanoes (something about going to the Big Island), which sounds really interesting, so that may be an option (not sure if that would be too much for my son tough).
I just wanted to say that my 13 month old and I just made a trip from the BI to TX and back and the island hops are really easy with a baby. It's like a half hour car ride, except the baby is in your lap (or on a seat if you get him a separate seat). My LO took it very well and you shouldn't have much trouble. Our airport is super tiny and never busy. The car rental place is right there when you walk out the door, so you can make it a day trip if you want to.

Give yourself plenty of time at the volcanoes, though. It's a huge place and, like Disneyland, you want to make it at least an all-day kind of thing. There is a ton of awesome stuff to do there.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

User Tag List