TB Exemption Letter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-01-2009, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I see that TB exemptions are not allowed at all in Alaska yet I turned in a TB exemption letter last summer for PreK for my daughter. She'll be going to Barnette and I had planned to hand in the same letter but now see it's not acceptable for K....?

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 05-02-2009, 04:31 AM

hmmmmmmmmm. not sure.
I know they do the TB test skin prick in schools, which I am not opposed to. But as fas as I know, you can still refuse any and all vaccinations.

Then again, maybe I am completely lost! LOL
#3 of 19 Old 05-02-2009, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

I had the vaccine exemption notarized today. Last year, I did a TB test exemption also (DD was in PreK). I was going to do one for K also but I see TB exemptions are not allowed. I'm wondering how to get around it.

Jenn
#4 of 19 Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 AM

I couldn't ever find one against it. I let them do it without too much fuss as it is not a vaccination and I'm not that opposed to it. But I did look...
#5 of 19 Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 AM

Usually a TB test will be preempted by a lung scan.

There are many people in AK that will always test positive for tb, so they have to provide a lung scan instead.

Would that be a better choice for you OP if the exemption doesn't work out?

I know in Europe people get TB vaccines so they always test positive, some military personnel in the US (but sent abroad obviously) get them, and anyone that has had TB and gone through the treatments will also always test positive..
#6 of 19 Old 05-05-2009, 11:45 AM

It's not a vaccine, but it does inject crap.

Quote:
The standard recommended tuberculin test, is administered by injecting a 0.1 mL volume containing 5 TU (tuberculin units) PPD (purified protein deriviative) into the top layers of skin (intradermally, immediately under the surface of the skin) of the forearm.

TUBERSOL® is prepared by Aventis Pasteur Limited from a large Master Batch, Connaught Tuberculin (CT68) and is a cell-free purified protein fraction obtained from a human strain of Mycobacterium tuberculosis grown on a protein-free synthetic medium, and inactivated. TUBERSOL® is a sterile isotonic solution of Tuberculin in phosphate buffered saline containing Tween 80 (0.0005%) as a stabilizer. Phenol 0.28% is added as a preservative.
This is a great site with all the risks of these ingredients and info on how to get around the requirement. http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20050717.htm

hh2.gif

#7 of 19 Old 05-05-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
It's not a vaccine, but it does inject crap.

This is a great site with all the risks of these ingredients and info on how to get around the requirement. http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20050717.htm
I was talking about the test, the vaccine, and the lung scan. But yes, there IS a vaccine.

http://www.who.int/vaccine_research/...opment/bcg/en/

I realize that the tb TEST is required in AK, but for those people that have had TB treatments OR the vaccine (more than a billion people have had it), there is an alternative option which includes a lung scan- which I know some people prefer anyway. Perhaps I was unclear, I was offering the lung scan as an option from the test, not the vaccine- but the vaccine has caused the scan to become an option.

Thanks for the link though.
#8 of 19 Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I was talking about the test, the vaccine, and the lung scan. But yes, there IS a vaccine.

http://www.who.int/vaccine_research/...opment/bcg/en/

I realize that the tb TEST is required in AK, but for those people that have had TB treatments OR the vaccine (more than a billion people have had it), there is an alternative option which includes a lung scan- which I know some people prefer anyway. Perhaps I was unclear, I was offering the lung scan as an option from the test, not the vaccine- but the vaccine has caused the scan to become an option.

Thanks for the link though.
OH, I got ya! I wasn't replying to you. I was just saying that the TEST isn't a vaccine, but still has risks.

hh2.gif

#9 of 19 Old 05-24-2009, 06:50 PM

They offer the TB vax in AK?
Last time I talked to the public health nurse, she told me that they did not offer it because the effectivity of the TB vax is still in question.
That said, I volunteered for schools a few years back and was required to undergo a TB test. I tested positive and they recommended for me to go on antibiotics. I decided to get an x-ray and when it showed it was clear, I declined the antibiotics. I just presented that and was ok'd to volunteer for schools again.
#10 of 19 Old 05-24-2009, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Not the vax, the test. It's putting something onto/into my child to see if she reacts to it. I won't have it done. There's no form for exemptions but I've found a way around it.

Jenn
#11 of 19 Old 05-24-2009, 07:37 PM

oh. sorry for the confusion.
#12 of 19 Old 05-24-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post
Not the vax, the test. It's putting something onto/into my child to see if she reacts to it. I won't have it done. There's no form for exemptions but I've found a way around it.

Jenn
Well come on girl, spit it out lol. I want to get around it too!
#13 of 19 Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Please tell me how you're getting around it!  I don't agree with anything forceably injected! [email protected]

#14 of 19 Old 06-05-2011, 03:58 PM

So I assume this means that the poster found that in fact, there is not an exemption for the TB Test except for a lung x-ray.  TB is still very prevelant in Alaska.  I would rather get the test then expose them to all those x rays. 

#15 of 19 Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 PM

So did you choose to do the Xray or did you find another way around it???  I'd love to know if you did!  You can message me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post

Jenn
Well come on girl, spit it out lol. I want to get around it too!

#16 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM

BTW this thread is two years old. 

Kristen
#17 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 01:32 PM

ETA: I see why this post is being brought back from the dead. 

Please keep in mind that TB is in Anchorage too.  Active TB.  Just saying...

Kristen
#18 of 19 Old 06-07-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

There's no way I'd allow an x-ray for this, either.  smile.gif  I'll be glad to tell how I got around it if you PM me but I don't want it out on a public thread.

Jenn

#19 of 19 Old 06-09-2011, 04:57 PM

there is a blood test that is accurate (without the high rate of false positives and negatives of the skin test) it is called quanti ferron gold or something similar - it is done in anchorage but i forget where, and you really have to be insistent about asking for it, because even the facility that performs the test is not entirely aware that they do... (public health did not even know what it was...) if i had to get a tb test for my dd, i would only do the blood test. my dp had tb and was treated so this is something we recently investigated...

Katie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page