Alaskan's Chat in May - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 132 Old 05-11-2009, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everybody has different preferences on cloth diapers...
personally, I did my research and was sure about what I wanted...and now that I've been down the road with one kid, I have different opinions.
I currently think that the ideal is AIOs for newborns/smalls (my kids were both born between 7-8lbs, so I dont' use NB size, just start with smalls). They pee/poo really often but don't put much out...so lower absorbency is fine, but super convenience is nice because you go through so many.
In larger sizes I like pockets. You don't go through as many dipes in a day, so the extra work of stuffing/unstuffing isn't as big a deal. Also as the kiddos start peeing more, it's easy to increase how much you put inside the diaper.

If you're not planning more kids, OR if you've got two in dipes, I'd do a one-size pocket...but if you plan to have a few kids I do like sized diapers (med and lg) because imo the fit is better and trimmer.
As DS got into starting to potty learn, I did make a few fitteds and let him run around coverless in those (so that I could always tell when he had just gone)...if you do EC you might prefer that...but i guess I just love the convenience of one-piece for diapers, thus preferring pockets and aios.

I prefer snaps over velcro, at least in larger sizes...velcro works for tinies, although I did find that if I used it at night the sound of it would wake the baby DH felt more comfortable with velcro--it looked like the disposables he was familiar with. So imo it's nice to have a few of that sort around for daddies/grandmas/babysitters...but personally I like snaps a lot better.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#62 of 132 Old 05-11-2009, 05:15 PM

I'm having a hard time finding maternity insurance here in Alaska! I need one that has a short or no waiting period.

I have a new thread too

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1082577
#63 of 132 Old 05-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Oh jeez! I was hoping all the mommies would have one answer! I am going to start my research this week. I am hoping to figure it out in the next week or two so that I can add it to my registry or start a new one. I bought a pair of wool longies for my daughter when she was a babe because they were so darn cute! What about using disposables during the newborn stage and then switching to cloth after the poops slow down? Does that seem redundant? Good point about using one size diapers, since this is going to be our last and I am not sure if Serena will be fully potty trained by then. I should check that out. Thanks for all your help!

Lovin my Hubby , Serena (10/07)::, and Cedar( 07/09)
#64 of 132 Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I'm having a hard time finding maternity insurance here in Alaska! I need one that has a short or no waiting period.

I have a new thread too

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1082577
What, what??? Are you pregnant?? ::::

Tell us, tell us!

/we have BC/BS, but w/ 7 kids, we are also eligible for DKC, so maternity ins. is not something I know much about

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#65 of 132 Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
What, what??? Are you pregnant?? ::::

Tell us, tell us!

/we have BC/BS, but w/ 7 kids, we are also eligible for DKC, so maternity ins. is not something I know much about

love, penelope

Oh I wish!

But right now I am just doing research for the agency.
I had BCBS too and it was with DH's old job. Man that was awesome! Now they have a 12 month wait for pregnancy and not many people doing a surrogacy want to have to pay for an extra 12 months and wait that long before getting pregnant.

I looked at State Farm and they only have a 3 month wait but totally exclude surrogacy.
#66 of 132 Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 PM

I just got some flats, which are the cheapest option: like a buck a diaper! I use wool or a bummi's on top.

In the past I have tried everything from fitteds to pockets to prefolds. Personally, I do not like fleece in the diaper, I find that it stinks over time.
#67 of 132 Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 PM

Here is a link to my NB lot fs on Craig's list. I can knock it down to $50.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bab/1140544832.html
#68 of 132 Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 AM

i'm a big fan on prefolds. some infants then premiums will do for most kids and def cheapist option. then just some good bummi covers and a couple of snappies.

and once it's all over they are still good for rags

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#69 of 132 Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM

We did prefolds for the first 6 months, but even the higher end Chinese prefolds, DD would pee through them so fast. So since she was due for something larger at that point, I bought several various hemp fitteds (mostly used) and loved them. Almost everything I got was used and for great prices. Some of them are so incredibly worn now, but she's been in the same diapers for 2 years. She's starting to potty train now and some of her diapers aren't worth passing on. My SIL used only prefolds and a few bummis covers or wool for her 1st 3 kids, but started getting some fitteds when he youngest came along. I love the fitteds because I can either throw wool over them or she can go without a cover. My favorites are the Crickett's hemp and the one Goodmama I have, but the Goodmama's are very expensive. I just got lucky on a used one.
#70 of 132 Old 05-12-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetop View Post
Oh jeez! I was hoping all the mommies would have one answer! I am going to start my research this week. I am hoping to figure it out in the next week or two so that I can add it to my registry or start a new one. I bought a pair of wool longies for my daughter when she was a babe because they were so darn cute! What about using disposables during the newborn stage and then switching to cloth after the poops slow down? Does that seem redundant? Good point about using one size diapers, since this is going to be our last and I am not sure if Serena will be fully potty trained by then. I should check that out. Thanks for all your help!

I used sposies for about 1 month at the beginning...got through the meconium and got me feeling more recovered... I found that my kiddo fit the smalls until he was about 3ish m old (13 lbs) and then I could put him in mediums. One-size diapers are supposed to fit down to 8lbs, but imo they are terribly bulky on the small sizes, so that's why I prefer them just for M/L

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#71 of 132 Old 05-13-2009, 12:38 AM

Can any of you recommend somebody in the Anchorage area or Valley who does t-shirt quilts. I want to do 2 quilts. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#72 of 132 Old 05-13-2009, 04:43 AM

Summer sure is here, the fire season has officially begun down here in Homer and I recall hearing there were a few small brush fires in the Mat-Su & Anchorage area. This brush fire grew to 60 acres from 5:30 pm to about 8:30 pm and was only 5 miles from our house. Fortunately, it appears that is it pretty much out and I hear that we didn't lose any homes. Thank goddess! Summer before last was the Caribou Lake fires, again in our back yard. So, building a pond is on the top of our list this summer for fire protection and of course- summer fun-ness!

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#73 of 132 Old 05-13-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Can any of you recommend somebody in the Anchorage area or Valley who does t-shirt quilts. I want to do 2 quilts. Feel free to PM me if you like.
someone who can make a quilt from old t-shirts? Like for sentimental reasons? A memory quilt is what she calls them.
I know someone who can do that.
My MIL is awesome is sewing and making quilts! She made my DD a quilted coat. that was cool enough for a 15 year old to wear.
#74 of 132 Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 AM

If anyone knows of any rentals in the valley, preferably a small house and equally preferable in Palmer, please let me know! Thanks!
#75 of 132 Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrozncavegrl View Post
If anyone knows of any rentals in the valley, preferably a small house and equally preferable in Palmer, please let me know! Thanks!
I saw two places today while driving into town. One was on Palmer Fishhook near Farm Loop. The other is on Bogard between Trunk and Anderson Lake. Both have For Rent signs on the street.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#76 of 132 Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
I saw two places today while driving into town. One was on Palmer Fishhook near Farm Loop. The other is on Bogard between Trunk and Anderson Lake. Both have For Rent signs on the street.
The one on PF, while exposed, is a cute house. I called Prudential on it. I would prefer much more privacy, but I need to be out of this house no later then July!
#77 of 132 Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I need to be out of this house no later then July!
What happened? Are you ok?
#78 of 132 Old 05-20-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Have you checked with any of the property managers in the area? I don't know much about the various ones, but I have heard Charlene Moss is good. She's in Wasilla, but she does houses around the Valley.
#79 of 132 Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
What happened? Are you ok?
I am ok, but my dh left us.
#80 of 132 Old 05-20-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Shame on him!
I am so sorry.
How many little ones do you have?
And, are you going to need anything, other then a house?

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#81 of 132 Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 PM

Is there anyone in the Palmer-ish area who would be interested in part time child care for my two little ones? It would be very part time. We had them going to a "center" day care and it was too much for them--they much prefer a smaller group of children.

CPST & mom

#82 of 132 Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
C, I am so so sorry to hear this. Drop me a line if you want help moving.
Lisa

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#83 of 132 Old 05-21-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I feel for you.
#84 of 132 Old 05-21-2009, 02:04 AM

nak.

Thanks everyone. It completely sucks, to put it bluntly. I am terrified. I have to be out of this house by July 15. Me, three children, two dogs. No employment, and somehow I think I can be a sahm. WTH? I spend a good portion of my time in a pity-party, and another portion taking steps towards a new life, all the while homeschooling and caring for my 6, 5 and 10 mth old.

Oh not to mention I turned 40 when this all went down. Horrible bday.

I am positive to a fault....meaning my head is in the clouds half the time thinking all is just going to be fine somehow.

I had no idea and now I do.
#85 of 132 Old 05-21-2009, 03:11 AM

Oh no I am so sorry

CPST & mom

#86 of 132 Old 05-21-2009, 03:47 PM

Wait, he left as in...he moved ahead of you to a new location? Weren't you guys planning a big move? OR, moved as in you're now singly responsible for your family?

Either way, I am sorry. That just stinks. If you find a place in Anch, please give a shout. I have summers off!

And, hey, there's a fabulous camp here in Anch that I know has given scholarships before. You could sign up your 2 olders & give yourself some breathing space. Or, at the very least, do some VBS half day programs.
#87 of 132 Old 05-21-2009, 04:49 PM

I am sorry that you are going through this!
HTH: Recently, a friend of mine's dh left her (she has 3 kids) and she was able to find financial support through the state to help her through the transition. In addition, she is looking into job replacement programs (funded through grants from the state or feds) and/or paid apprenticeship programs (construction, office, medical, etc). Info found at local job center or http://alexsys.labor.state.ak.us/

big hug

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#88 of 132 Old 05-22-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I am terrified. I have to be out of this house by July 15. Me, three children, two dogs. No employment
thats too much to deal with by yourself. i hope you have some close amazing support...

do you?

Katie
#89 of 132 Old 05-22-2009, 08:23 PM

nak. sorry for delay in response.....extremely cranky teething baby.

busymommy....he left as in moved out and wants a divorce. it does stink, but honestly, think he was right in his decision. If it were up to me, we'd try again, but in the end this probably would have happened anyway.

isras thanks for the info. I did check it out and it looks promising.

mtn mama thanks for the offer.

katiesk I feel like I know a lot of people, but have very few truly *good* friends. No family here. I do have a lot of people keeping an eye out for a place for me.

I'm truly distraught. Like allergies, I would not wish this experience on anyone. To have my world pulled out from under me is just so stressful and heartbreaking.
#90 of 132 Old 05-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
nak. sorry for delay in response.....extremely cranky teething baby.

busymommy....he left as in moved out and wants a divorce. it does stink, but honestly, think he was right in his decision. If it were up to me, we'd try again, but in the end this probably would have happened anyway.

isras thanks for the info. I did check it out and it looks promising.

mtn mama thanks for the offer.

katiesk I feel like I know a lot of people, but have very few truly *good* friends. No family here. I do have a lot of people keeping an eye out for a place for me.

I'm truly distraught. Like allergies, I would not wish this experience on anyone. To have my world pulled out from under me is just so stressful and heartbreaking.
oh, my heartbreaks for you! Is there anything we can do?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page