Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy May Day!!!!

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#2 of 132 Old 05-01-2009, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone still do May Baskets or dance around a May Pole? Once I get my own place, I will be organizing a May Pole dance and bonfire.
#3 of 132 Old 05-01-2009, 04:02 PM

I wish that I did those things!

Katie
#4 of 132 Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 PM

I have no idea what either of those things are, but they sound like fun!

Two weeks from today I'll start driving to Alaska, by the end of the month, I'll have an address in the 49th state!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#5 of 132 Old 05-01-2009, 08:55 PM

It was originally celebrated as Beltane and can be a terrific opportunity for a celebration. You can easily find out more online. Here is a cute video showing some May Pole dancing. You can do simple or elaborate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ctK4tswNEs
#6 of 132 Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM

I want to! but alas i did nothing may day ish today next year i hope to as little kid will be old enough to get into it!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#7 of 132 Old 05-02-2009, 01:49 AM

We didn't do anything May Day ish, though we don't normally. I've always thought the may pole idea was interesting, though I've not really learned its origins and the point of it. I just like the idea of dancing and weaving at the same time. Our biggest achievement of the day was the survive the hotel for another day without anyone being maimed. We looked at 4 houses to rent and have found a couple we like, so hopefully the hotel days will be short and we can get our poor dog out of the kennel.
#8 of 132 Old 05-02-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
It was originally celebrated as Beltane and can be a terrific opportunity for a celebration. You can easily find out more online. Here is a cute video showing some May Pole dancing. You can do simple or elaborate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ctK4tswNEs
Someone left carnations on our door step! Awe.......
#9 of 132 Old 05-02-2009, 03:37 AM

Today was my birthday! I turned 40!:
#10 of 132 Old 05-02-2009, 04:13 AM

Happy Birthday. A friend of mine had a baby girl today and named her Molly. I think it's a good day for birthdays.

Is anyone going to the Baby and Toddler Fair at the Egan Center tomorrow? Baby and I are going. I'm hoping we like it because hubby is taking off in the car and leaving us there for a few hours. I think we are going to need a stroller soon, but the Mei Tai is doing great for the time being!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#11 of 132 Old 05-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieAK View Post
Happy Birthday. A friend of mine had a baby girl today and named her Molly. I think it's a good day for birthdays.

Is anyone going to the Baby and Toddler Fair at the Egan Center tomorrow? Baby and I are going. I'm hoping we like it because hubby is taking off in the car and leaving us there for a few hours. I think we are going to need a stroller soon, but the Mei Tai is doing great for the time being!
I'll be there at the Birth Network Booth.

#12 of 132 Old 05-02-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Does anyone still do May Baskets or dance around a May Pole? Once I get my own place, I will be organizing a May Pole dance and bonfire.
I was hoping to put up a may pole. But my backyard still needs winter clean-up and I'm never on time with holidays. I'm hoping to have a pole up this summer as part of a garden project (bean/pea teepee) that will serve as our maypole next year. We might have a "may day" fertility/garden planting party later in the month.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#13 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 AM

Anyone interested in joining a flash mob? I am thinking of organizing a group. I'd like to have kids in it as well though they may not be able to do all of the missions, certainly some of them.
#14 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Anyone interested in joining a flash mob? I am thinking of organizing a group. I'd like to have kids in it as well though they may not be able to do all of the missions, certainly some of them.

What?
#15 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 AM

Sooooo ready to go back "home". DH is CG and we found out in December we're heading to Cordova.
Orginally from Sitka (him:Texas). I miss the water. I miss the people. I miss the animals.
Just wanted to pop in and say hello
#16 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
What?
Quote:
A flash mob (or flashmob[1]) is a large group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual action for a brief time, then quickly disperse. The term flash mob is generally applied only to gatherings organized via social media or viral emails, rather than those organized by public relations firms or for a publicity stunt.
Here's my favorite one. It's pretty huge, and elaborate. They can be as simple as "freezing" for a couple of minutes though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UE3CNu_rtY
#17 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
a few years ago a few of us did a mobile disco on campus. along the same ideas as the flash mob. I'm totally in.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#18 of 132 Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Just to clarify the milk info......Dh and I drove down to fish off the spit (we did awsome, brought back a large amount of yellow tail sole) and stopped in the natural foods store to check it out.
The real milk co-op is only in the planning stages.
The trip to get milk down there is 600 miles round trip, so its going to be interesting

#19 of 132 Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 AM

subbing. I can't believe I didn't come look for this..
#20 of 132 Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrozncavegrl View Post
Today was my birthday! I turned 40!:
happy birthday!:
#21 of 132 Old 05-05-2009, 10:05 PM

YEA Happy Birthday Beautiful weather to celebrate a new decade!
#22 of 132 Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 PM

#23 of 132 Old 05-06-2009, 12:38 AM

Hello Alaska!

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#24 of 132 Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#25 of 132 Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Just to clarify the milk info......Dh and I drove down to fish off the spit (we did awsome, brought back a large amount of yellow tail sole) and stopped in the natural foods store to check it out.
The real milk co-op is only in the planning stages.
The trip to get milk down there is 600 miles round trip, so its going to be interesting

Thanks for the update.
#26 of 132 Old 05-07-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Ooo, I would love that!

Quote:
Every time I see one of thsoe you-tube movies I wish I'd been able to do it. I am TOTALLY in (if I'm there and can do it, )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
subbing. I can't believe I didn't come look for this..
Yeah, me too...I keep forgetting to look for the new threads

SO, DH had an interview yesterday with a school in Nakiski and it seems to have gone pretty well. They won't be making a decision until the end of the week or early next week, so we're just sitting here on pins and needles waiting... it looks like a nice place though. (Anybody here live down Kenai way?!)
The job in Fairbanks still sounds promising too--apparently he wasn't quite qualified for the job as posted, so the computer system wouldnt' let them access his application, so they pulled the listing, re-wrote it (so that he qualifies) and then emailed him and asked him to re-apply...so obviously that sounds very promising too!
Frankly, if they both offer, I don't know which we'd pick. both places seem to have some real advantages... I am definitely starting to feel better though--more settled that yes, we will have *someplace* to move to in 18 days,
And of course there are more than a dozen other jobs that he's applied for that haven't called about interviews, but they still could, so who knows.

So, in unrelated topics, I'm weaning my toddler, and he's not pleased about it. He's 27m, so over 2y and I feel like that's old enough that it's ok to wean... I had originally planned to tandem, but when I actually started thinking about the idea of weaning I realized that I was starting to resent a lot of aspects of nursing at this point, and so we've decided to just make a clean break. So we've been cutting back incrementally, and currently just nurse for about 2min at naptime and bedtime, plus some waking-up 'nanus' in the morning...the plan is to cut back to just a few sips at nap/bedtime, and then I'll spend a couple of nights in my other son's room so that I'm not there for the morning nursing and hopefully that will help break that habit. we decided that the day we take the ferry out of here will be our last day...once we leave here we'll have a couple of long busy days of driving and whatnot, and there will be lots of distractions plus he'll fall asleep in the car and it just seemed like a logical time.
Most nights have gone pretty well, but yesterday I started trying to prepare him for the end by explaining that he was very big, and after we go in the car on the boat then we will be all done with nanu...and last night when he woke up and I said no, we don't nurse in the night (which i've been doing for over a month) he started bawling and said "no, nanu not all gone, nooo!" poor kiddo! I let him have more than the usual morning nanus this morning. Hopefully the next 18 days will be enough. I know this is going to be a little bit of a rough road, but it feels like the right thing to do right now, so I'm pushing ahead. I think he's one of those kids who would have a hard time letting go of nursing no matter how old he was, and I also suspect that (at nearly 3--when I've got a newborn) he'd want to nurse all the time, even if we'd done some hefty cutting back, and I just don't think I'd be able to handle that. So we're weaning now, while I can still give him lots of one-on-one mommy attention for a while.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#27 of 132 Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Frankly, if they both offer, I don't know which we'd pick. both places seem to have some real advantages... I am definitely starting to feel better though--more settled that yes, we will have *someplace* to move to in 18 days,

Oh, the Penninsula is the best:::
No offense to anyone in Fairbanks, but if I had to choose, the Kenia would win hands down.
Dh and I have a kernel of a dream starting in regards to Homer.
Land is incredibly cheap, and if we can get a huge chunk of our mortgage paid off, we could sell with out losing any money, buy lots of land, have a house and barn built, fencing put up, and move down bringing several Jersey cows with us, as well as lots of chickens.
Then, we could run a real milk dairy with pastured chickens and eggs::

I think I have finally come up with a home business plan that will do very well, so hopefully, we can get this house paid off and fullfill this dream.

#28 of 132 Old 05-07-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Ooo, I would love that!

Every time I see one of thsoe you-tube movies I wish I'd been able to do it. I am TOTALLY in (if I'm there and can do it, )

Yeah, me too...I keep forgetting to look for the new threads

SO, DH had an interview yesterday with a school in Nakiski and it seems to have gone pretty well. They won't be making a decision until the end of the week or early next week, so we're just sitting here on pins and needles waiting... it looks like a nice place though. (Anybody here live down Kenai way?!)
The job in Fairbanks still sounds promising too--apparently he wasn't quite qualified for the job as posted, so the computer system wouldnt' let them access his application, so they pulled the listing, re-wrote it (so that he qualifies) and then emailed him and asked him to re-apply...so obviously that sounds very promising too!
And of course there are more than a dozen other jobs that he's applied for that haven't called about interviews, but they still could, so who knows.

So, in unrelated topics, I'm weaning my toddler, and he's not pleased about it. He's 27m, so over 2y and I feel like that's old enough that it's ok to wean... I had originally planned to tandem, but when I actually started thinking about the idea of weaning I realized that I was starting to resent a lot of aspects of nursing at this point, and so we've decided to just make a clean break. So we've been cutting back incrementally, and currently just nurse for about 2min at naptime and bedtime, plus some waking-up 'nanus' in the morning...the plan is to cut back to just a few sips at nap/bedtime, and then I'll spend a couple of nights in my other son's room so that I'm not there for the morning nursing and hopefully that will help break that habit. we decided that the day we take the ferry out of here will be our last day...once we leave here we'll have a couple of long busy days of driving and whatnot, and there will be lots of distractions plus he'll fall asleep in the car and it just seemed like a logical time.
Most nights have gone pretty well, but yesterday I started trying to prepare him for the end by explaining that he was very big, and after we go in the car on the boat then we will be all done with nanu...and last night when he woke up and I said no, we don't nurse in the night (which i've been doing for over a month) he started bawling and said "no, nanu not all gone, nooo!" poor kiddo! I let him have more than the usual morning nanus this morning. Hopefully the next 18 days will be enough. I know this is going to be a little bit of a rough road, but it feels like the right thing to do right now, so I'm pushing ahead. I think he's one of those kids who would have a hard time letting go of nursing no matter how old he was, and I also suspect that (at nearly 3--when I've got a newborn) he'd want to nurse all the time, even if we'd done some hefty cutting back, and I just don't think I'd be able to handle that. So we're weaning now, while I can still give him lots of one-on-one mommy attention for a while.

Oh girl I feel for you. I had a DEDICATED, DETERMINED nurser. And I was tandem nursing but finally couldn't do it any more. The ONLY thing that worked, and believe me, I tried them all, was one I came up with myself. He was used to me laying down with him till he fell asleep. And nursing to sleep. So I couldn't just lay down and snuggle with him to sleep as that would make him want to nurse. I would sit towards the end of the bed with his legs on my lap and rub lotion on his legs and feet until he fell asleep. This gave him the physical comfort of mommy with out putting making my boobs available. Make sure to warm the lotion in your hands first. Even now, at 10 years old, he still likes for me to rub his feet till he falls asleep. I don't have to rub rub them, just the skin to skin contact is comforting to him. Good luck.
#29 of 132 Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Oh, the Penninsula is the best:::

Dh and I have a kernel of a dream starting in regards to Homer.
Land is incredibly cheap
In Homer? The only "cheap" land here is in Anchor Point, which is ok. I am in Anchor Point. But you have to be very careful where you go around here.

We are leaving Homer, for a multitude of reasons. But one is that I feel like Homer is...well, a rip off. Sure it's pretty, but you pay for it. I guess it depends on what you are looking for, but I am burned out on it. Some really cool people live here though.
#30 of 132 Old 05-08-2009, 12:38 AM

Someone brought in about 20 baby chickens to the FNSB shelter for adoption.
It would be good to find homes for them sooner rather than later as the Shelter does not have a chicken coop.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page