Things to do & see in Homer NOW! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2009, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies ~

So here I am 41 wks prg. my midwife is here with me and has been stuck at my home for the past 2 weeks as there really hasn't been ANYTHING to do because the 'touristy' type stuff isn't happening until Memorial Day weekend and by that time we hope to have a new baby and she hopes to be home! I would drive to Anchorage but that's almost 3 hours from Kenai/Nikiski. So we opted to go to Homer as I went when I was a child and just haven't been since and am dying to go! I picked up so many traveling mags and they have a bunch of cool things to do and see down there but none of them seem to open up until the time I mentioned.

So we figured what the hay we will just enjoy the road trip if anything just to get out of the house besides doing yard work/gardening/hiking to get into labor. So my question is to all you Homer people that live over there or others whom have visited your input is welcome also - where should I go and what should I see. More importantly where are the good places OPEN CURRENTLY to eat good food :- preferably local : and not extremely expensive type places?

YOUR HELP is greatly appreciated! We are thinking of leaving tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday. I know my timing sucks - but I've been cramping with constant contractions and today I saw mucus plug so one can only hope if we do miss the Homer trip its due to much better reasons!:

Thank you in advance ~ hope your enjoying the sun as we have been over here in Nikiski.

~Niki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 AM

No Homer advice but good luck!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:43 AM

Your right about businesses not opening until Memorial Day weekend, normally. But there was a cruise ship that rolled in last weekend and some businesses opened up out on the Spit. I think that just walking on the beach is the best feature in Homer (go to Bishops Beach). It is fun to walk around downtown, touring the gallery's & shops.

Places to eat (note, affordable places to eat is hard to find, now that we are in summer mode):
Nearby to Bishops beach is Panarelli's on Bunnell St, good food (organic & all made from scratch). There is also a bakery, Two Sisters.

On the spit, a few places are open: Spitfire Grill is great. They are the first boardwalk on your left (just past the fishing hole). A coffee shop on the left, just before the best public bathroom (right before Salty Dawg) is the place to get good coffee or loose leaf tea.

HTH and enjoy, if you make it.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
Old 05-18-2009, 01:35 PM

the sourdough express is a fun place to eat, on the left just before you reach the spit. pioneer ave does have lots of fun shops to look in.

good luck!

Katie
Old 05-18-2009, 06:59 PM

Nik! You're almost there! glad to hear the traveling midwife is working out. Keep me posted!
Lisa

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 AM

If you're childless, the art galleries are always fun.

I second the Sourdough Express but my favorite place of all is Fat Olives. They aren't too spendy for lunch.

I think Fritz Creek Gardens is open now, but probably not much to see this early in the spring. Bear Creek Winery? Birdwatching?

Hope you make it down, it's been so beautiful lately...happy birthing vibes your way!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:06 AM

oh you are so close!!
Just walking around and relaxing and windo shopping will be great fun!

User Tag List