Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lol good job!
#62 of 247 Old 06-14-2009, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Financing. So Monday we are writing an offer on a house. I only have about $2000 down so we are offering a balloon payment in 8 years in hopes of inticing them to sell to a dedicated buyer. In 8 years we will have made enough improvements on the place (that really NEEDS improvements) that hopefully we can then get bank financing.

Can you tell me a bit about what financing options you all are using? How much down did you have? What are your terms? And if you care to tell, how much was your house?
#63 of 247 Old 06-14-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Is she the one kind of behind WalMart? We LOVED her. :

We had an awful experience at the one in Anchorage near UAA (lake otis & 36th) the first time.
I went to that one just this last pregnancy. I liked it. The lady that did the U/S was very nice and thorough.

I did not do the 3d/4d ultrasound though. Just the normal 20weeks scan which actually happened around 27 weeks.
#64 of 247 Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Financing. So Monday we are writing an offer on a house. I only have about $2000 down so we are offering a balloon payment in 8 years in hopes of inticing them to sell to a dedicated buyer. In 8 years we will have made enough improvements on the place (that really NEEDS improvements) that hopefully we can then get bank financing.

Can you tell me a bit about what financing options you all are using? How much down did you have? What are your terms? And if you care to tell, how much was your house?

We ended up using our VA home loan to help get our house.
We did straight up "conventional" financing through a bank. We used a combination of VA home loan plus my DH's disability through the military and the Alaskan First Time Home buyers incentives to pay no money down. We got 6.25% Fixed Rate and our house was $249,900. We made an offer for the exact amount they were asking (as we knew the house was worth about $20,000 more) and we also asked that the seller pay all closing costs.
The seller accepted our offer in 48 hours and we closed it in 3 weeks.

If you can get a bank loan now, they have fantastic rates! We thought we had a low rate back in Sept, never dreaming they would continue to plummet down to in the 4%'s. But I also know that most banks don't like to carry 'creative loans".

We were in a really good place (in our lives and in our job) to buy a home and we got lucky. We had an awesome realtor who hooked us up with a great lender at Alaska USA FCU.

We have tried to buy doing "owner financing" in Fairbanks and Delta Junction before. Our worst expericne was in Fairbanks. We found a great piece of property, it has a 2 bedroom log house, a 2 bedroom stick built house, a couple of 1/2 done cabins and dry efficiency homes as well as 2 smaller unattached garages, all on 2 acres about 5 miles down Chena Pump road. Really great location. We were friends with the owner and we thought he was a nice guy.
We got suckered into paying $2000 a month lease to own/ with owner financing at 8% for 12 years. Total of 20 years. The total asking price was $250,000. There was a TON of work needing to be done on the whole place to make things livable for a family with kids. However, the log house was a rental and rented out at $750 a month. That money was ours since we were buying the property. We also managed to fix up one other 1 bedroom place to rent out at $400 a month. Our money to keep as well.
Our down payment of $20,000 was structured to be paid out at $5000 at 6 months and $15,000 at 12 months. Then we would sign official papers to buy the place, still owner financed. We also had to get insurance on the property and pay the taxes each year, not included in the monthly payment. We never did get insurance on the property since it was uninsurable and it took that full year to make it "insurable"

Anyway, the owner kinda had a freak out, we seriously think he was bipolar. After paying all the down payment and making monthly payments for 14 months, and fixing up the place. (probably pouring over $60,000 into the it over the year) he never did get the selling papers to us. Instead he started complaining about the improvements we were making and how it was not the way "he would have done it" etc etc.....

Ugh, it was not pretty. Lots of back and forth fighting.. Blah.

Anyway, we walked. Had to. DH got a job offer for CA the next week and we left. We lost a lot of money but we learned our lesson. Besides, money is not everything. We have our sanity!

Be very careful with owner financing. Make sure the buyers side of the contract protects you just as well as it does the buyer.
#65 of 247 Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 AM

Penelope--I think I love you. :
#66 of 247 Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post

I went straight from there to my MWs and they were trying hard not to giggle...they said they told him that I was just a very private person.

Well, maybe he should have introduced himself before offering to fondle my cervix.

:

love, p
LOL! I love that comment!
Yeah, strange man putting his hands down there....not happening...

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#67 of 247 Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 PM

For all you mamas out there that home school... which vendor do you use? I've looked into CSS and IDEA thus far. I've not really done much investigation on Twindly Bridge.

So far I'm leaning towards CSS because they seem to have the busiest social calendar, and Emma really needs the social interaction as much as possible.

We really had our hopes set on her getting into the charter school, but they informed me a couple of days ago that there was only 1 opening and she was #14 on the list... so it doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.

Additionally, have you done the MAP assessment? Em is really advanced in math and reading, but I don't know to what level. CSS said that they would do a MAP assessment at registration to see what level she is at. I'm curious if it's an accurate assessment? I'm so scared I'm going to do some huge disservice to my kiddo. Just trying to make sure I'm on top of things right out of the gates.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#68 of 247 Old 06-14-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Be very careful with owner financing. Make sure the buyers side of the contract protects you just as well as it does the buyer.
I completely agree with using enormous amounts of caution with owner finance and have an attorney look over the contracts.

Generally they owner finance because the property can't pass inspection for conventional financing. You need to be aware of what is keeping the place from passing inspection, so you are prepared to deal with it, should you ever want to sell it.

#69 of 247 Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 AM

Georgeanne, Good luck with your house! :

Karen, we just moved all the kids to IDEA. W did her sophomore year with them this school year, and A will be a freshman in the fall. E is going into 3rd grade and M into Kindergarten. We moved them to IDEA because they seemed so much more put together as far as things like Close Up, Academic Decathalon, spelling and geography bees, math contests, chess club, lego robotics club, and Battle of the Books.

Good luck choosing a partner in Emma's education!

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#70 of 247 Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Georgeanne, Good luck with your house! :

Karen, we just moved all the kids to IDEA. W did her sophomore year with them this school year, and A will be a freshman in the fall. E is going into 3rd grade and M into Kindergarten. We moved them to IDEA because they seemed so much more put together as far as things like Close Up, Academic Decathalon, spelling and geography bees, math contests, chess club, lego robotics club, and Battle of the Books.

Good luck choosing a partner in Emma's education!

love, penelope
Who were you with before P? I initially wanted to go with IDEA just because of our dealings with them. They seemed very organized and I liked that they had kits to check out that cover certain topics, etc., but DH really pushed for CSS because of their calendar events. They have an on campus music class weekly, workshops and they have also started the kit check out (plus I think they give an additional 600 per year in allotment).

I won't even begin to lie... I'm terrified.

#71 of 247 Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 AM

Karen, is she going into Kindy like M? If so, E did that assesment when he began with Raven. It was (according to Brad, who took him to it) frighteningly simple. It could be a different assesment, though.

It's so misleading to say he's going into K, though. He's reading the 3rd HP book and finished a first grade math book already. I'm glad I'll get to chill with him this year and enjoy whatever he wants to explore. He studied E's 2nd grade history with him all year long, so I might keep them together on that, as well.

The extra funding is going to be so helpful this year, too! IDEA throws all the kids in a family into one big pot and the money isn't counted as far as child goes, only as far as the family goes. I really like that, because high school curriculum really is far more pricey than elementary! Last year we spent $800 for W on curriculum (books and workbooks) alone. That doesn't count her language courses, her art course, or her swim team fees!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#72 of 247 Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 AM

I don't know who CSS is?

Don't be terrified! You're already a terrific teacher, and she's growing up in a learning and educationally aware household, and she's got such a great start under her belt!

Remember when I pulled W out of school? You've heard that story...one week into FIRST GRADE and they were working on the letter C! I think Emma will be just fine.

We were with Raven before this, and with Cyberlynx before that. Raven up here is really not put together at all well. We left because IDEA has many more opportunities for E (chess is a favorite of both the boys) and the girls will be better able to navigate through the high school years without the confusion that Raven had going on.

love, p

#73 of 247 Old 06-15-2009, 12:26 AM

Yes P, she's going into kindergarten.

I don't know what to do as far as curriculum. She's doing algebra, 3 digit addition/subtraction in her head, etc., and I'm not sure what level she's reading at. Someone said something about site words being a good indication... so we went through them grade by grade. She started struggling with the words at 6th grade, but was still able to sound them out. I don't know what that means. Her spelling seems pretty advanced too. She's spelling out larger words, like building, communicate, philosophy, etc. BUT... her writing and her motor skills are very kindergarten.

So, with that combination, I really don't know where to even start. I mean, she could literally sit back and do nothing for a few years besides practice writing and probably stay on track, but she's too knowledge hungry to let that happen.

She googles anything and everything that she is interested in, and reads page after page that she finds until she's convinced that she's found enough. She learned algebra courtesy of google... which subsequently is her latest "favorite game". LOL

We keep cross posting CSS is Correspondence Study School through the Mat-su Borough. I forgot about cyberlynx and Raven. I feel like IDEA and CSS are the best options for us. I just need to get her in as many group activities that I can. She was really looking forward to the interaction with children at school, and since that's not going to happen... I want to try and get her out there with as many of them as I can.

#74 of 247 Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 AM

Georgeanne: we did a regular loan with GMAC for $97K with $1K down. Our rate is somewhere in the 5%s range. Loan rates are going back up fast. Friends of ours are finishing building a home in Sherwood Forest and they were looking to lock in their mortgage. In a span of two weeks it went from low 4% to 5%+ before they locked in.

Karen: IDEA is the best HS group up here from what I've heard. I won't HS because DD is so social and I don't drive so it wouldn't be fair to her to not have her in a classroom setting. I know the school district "assessment" is basically BS. I plan to have DD take a book in to read to her teacher since she's reading between a 3rd and 5th grade level and at about a 3rd grade comprehension level. If they don't move her up for reading, some fur is going to fly.

Jenn
#75 of 247 Old 06-15-2009, 05:04 PM

Karen, I big part of it depends on how much structure you want and how much you want to be left alone. We were with Twindley while we we up there (and miss it) and we loved it because there were always classes for the kids to take, we loved our advisor, but for the most part they left us alone to do our work. That worked out great for us because we only went with a program to get the money to help with things the kids wanted. I have heard that things are more structured and monitored at CSS and IDEA.

I have known more people to go through IDEA than CSS, but have heard good things about CSS. The only problem that I have heard of really with them is that they won't pay for services outside of them that they provide. I know a girl in high school who has been with CSS and she plays the violin. Jewel plays better and knows more than the instructor that CSS has, but because CSS has an instructor, they won't pay for Jewel to go elsewhere. That might not be an issue for you, though. At least, not at this point.
#76 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 01:21 AM

Karen,

Just another thought...having gone through two other programs, IDEA's reporting forms are *cake.* You won't have any problem with curriculum , because you can pick and choose according to her abilities in different subjects. We've always piecemealed and done parent-designed courses (PDCs) and the paperwork at IDEA is absolutely MINIMAL. I don't know about CSS, but the FNSB has a program like it called BEST, and it's much more reporting, from what I've heard. I'm not sure how they view piecemeal curricula, either.

Jenn, when we had W in her one week at a public school, she was reading much, much higher than they were teaching. The teacher told us that, although obviously W needed to be in advanced classes, she could not be tested until January. That infuriated me. Good luck with the pre-class assesments!

And I agree w/ tallanvor...some lessons you'll want her to take should be covered by your homeschool allotment, but won't be if you don't want her in the normal PS classes. That would irk me for things like swim team, dance, music, and languages, among others. (If she wants to study Spanish, she'll have to go to the public school and take spanish there...if she wants to learn piano, she'll have to attend a PS piano class, etc).

love, p

#77 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, nothing like a hit and run attempt by a troll to really piss me off.
#78 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Huh? :
#79 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 02:05 AM

Is that aimed at me, Georganne? I hope not!

love, p

#80 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hahah oh my goodness no. Check out the henna thread in the other part of the forum, not in this thread.
#81 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
I must say, people that take the time to be that UAV, need help! And lots of it too!

#82 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 AM

Since we're on the topic of school I could use some input. I'm lost as to what to do for DD1. She turns 4 shortly and she is dying for some social activities. Anyone have any ideas? We want to HS but we have a weird schedule for the next 1.5-2 years or so (DH is in school full time Aug-May, off for summers, I'll ((hopefully)) start nursing school in January, plus we both work). My nephew goes to Twindly Bridge and I want her to start next year there, but that's a whole year away!

CPST & mom

#83 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Since we're on the topic of school I could use some input. I'm lost as to what to do for DD1. She turns 4 shortly and she is dying for some social activities. Anyone have any ideas? We want to HS but we have a weird schedule for the next 1.5-2 years or so (DH is in school full time Aug-May, off for summers, I'll ((hopefully)) start nursing school in January, plus we both work). My nephew goes to Twindly Bridge and I want her to start next year there, but that's a whole year away!
What about your summer library programs? I don't know about Palmer but Fairbanks has a great summer program with lots of activities for kids.
#84 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
I must say, people that take the time to be that UAV, need help! And lots of it too!
Lol I don't know what UAV means. Guess either of these fit quite nicely though.

Urban Assult Vehicle? Unmanned Aerial Vehicle?

I vote for the UNMANNED one bwahahahhaa.
#85 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 05:39 AM

I've looked into the library storytime but it's when I'm sleeping (I work nights). Luckily I will be on maternity leave here shortly! :

UAV= user agreement violation

CPST & mom

#86 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 AM

Ok, let me just remind everyone that there is a little red triangle in the bottom corner of a post. If someone is not following MDC rules of behavior (UAV) click on that and the post is sent to a mod for review. It is a very handy little feature.
#87 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post

Could you put her in a class somewhere? Tumbling, dance, martial arts, an art class? Also, talk to them at Twindly. There are a few classes offered for preschoolers and it is possible they will let her in. See if you can talk to Carol Austin about it. She's is one of the most awesome educators I have ever known (and I've known about a kazillion).
#88 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Ok, let me just remind everyone that there is a little red triangle in the bottom corner of a post. If someone is not following MDC rules of behavior (UAV) click on that and the post is sent to a mod for review. It is a very handy little feature.
Did it as soon as I read the crazy post

#89 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Me too. I know we aren't supposed to reply to trolls but I really felt the need to defend myself and to comment on the blatent, DANGEROUS, mis information.
#90 of 247 Old 06-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Thank you all for all of your input! I'm going to sign her up with IDEA. The more investigating I did, and the input provided here, steered me their direction. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with them this morning, and I'm completely comfortable with them.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page