Alaska chat for June. - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 247 Old 06-20-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
I don't think its the assisting in the birth that he wants to avoid. Its the "side of the Seward Hwy" part that he wants to avoid.

His first "highway birth" was on the Glenn Hwy up by Tok. He was just 19 and had only been an EMT for about 2 months. Let's say he was a little nervous. The woman patted him on the head and said "don't worry sweeting, this is my fourth. She's just coming a little to fast to get to town. I'll do the work and tell you what I need." -- That's what I call a REAL ALASKAN woman. DH told me all he really did was make sure their was a blanket ready for the baby. (Talk about effective birth control incentive for a teenaged guy...)
Heehee awesome. I find when there is a birth in an unplanned location, it normally means that things were just going so well that mom didn't feel like leaving on time. Normally those are the easy births. Except it would suck in the winter to have it in the car.
#122 of 247 Old 06-20-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Today is DS1's bday (he's 8). It's been an exhausting week w/ the big kids at camp and DH at work. I've had anywhere from 2 to 6 extra kids over all week, including 4 overnights. I'm ready to lie in bed and read all day tomorrow!

I bought a bunch of awesome witch/wizard hats, and we found all our various cloaks, robes, etc.

I also got little silver wands with stars on top (ostensibly to go in their drinks, but really just to play with).

We're covering the tables outside with paper and letting the kids decorate them with markers and crayons, rather than use a throwaway tablecloth.

E whittled wands for all his friends. They're gorgeous!

I made foam Hogwarts badges, glued pins and the letter "H" on them, and bought sticky letters so the kids can put on their names, or "Prefect" or whatever they want.

I made a golden snitch pinata...it looks wonderful!! I'm so excited about how well it turned out!

We have pop rocks to go in the drinks as a "potion," and tiny colored ice cubes to put in their Sprite to make their potion change colors.

Harry Potter cake, check.

Jelly beans marked as Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, check.

"Dragon eggs" (tin foil wrapped around a gift) to be hidden in the woods for the kids to find. Each kid is getting an awesome set of playing cards.

Three overnighters last night. Two tonight.

Somebody make me some coffee!

love, penelope

That is going to be one awesome birthday party. But I'm exhausted just reading about it!!!
#123 of 247 Old 06-20-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
The woman patted him on the head and said "don't worry sweeting, this is my fourth. She's just coming a little to fast to get to town. I'll do the work and tell you what I need." -- That's what I call a REAL ALASKAN woman.
AWEsome!:
#124 of 247 Old 06-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Karen, I'm wishing we could have made it to your yard sale...(I'm posting while the kids finish lunch so we can beat up the pinata)...

:

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#125 of 247 Old 06-20-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Karen, I'm wishing we could have made it to your yard sale...(I'm posting while the kids finish lunch so we can beat up the pinata)...

:

love, penelope

Oooooooo!!!! Congrats Penelope!!!!!! :::::

Hope that party goes well, it sounds like a great time. I hope when my kids get that age I have half your creativity!

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#126 of 247 Old 06-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:

:

love, penelope
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!

:::::::::: :::

I'm sooooooooooooooo over the moon happy for you!!!!!!!!

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#127 of 247 Old 06-20-2009, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

:

love, penelope
Heehee, congratulations!
#128 of 247 Old 06-20-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
a creekside birth), those don't seem very appealing to me.
hmmm...sounds appealing to me!

the harry potter bday party also sounds amazing!

Katie
#129 of 247 Old 06-20-2009, 10:35 PM

The rain was made to order! It started raining after our fifteenth game of "Salute the Captain," right at 5pm when I was ready to fall over.

The party rocked. My yard is tidy again, but my kitchen...oy vey.

B is still trying to catch his breath. I couldn't wait to tell him tomorrow...I stink at being quiet about stuff like that!

I am so frigging excited!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#130 of 247 Old 06-20-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post
hmmm...sounds appealing to me!
I was thinking the mosquitoes might be a bit thick for my taste

Congrats, Spruce! :

CPST & mom

#131 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
hmmm... anyone else REALLY sleepy? I am wondering if its the weather or my as is condition..
I was wondering the same thing. We just came up here so I can't tell if it's the giant swollen belly, the weather, the crazy light, or the excitement of being somewhere new, but I miss waking up feeling less sleepy and tired than when I went to bed!

Quote:

:

love, penelope
That's incredible! Congratulations!!

So I'm planning on trying to do this whole Solstice thing right since it's our first year and our last without kids to get to bed. I think that means we're supposed to go to the game tonight, and the festival tomorrow. Am I missing anything? Anybody else going?

I still can't believe we're really in Alaska! FINALLY!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#132 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 12:39 AM

Midnight Sun Run is fun, but we're not registered and we're beat already.

The game is awesome!

Downtown stuff tomorrow is fun, just be prepared for crowds and to walk.

Have fun!

(I think I'll tell B we should name this one Septimus...number 7 and all).

love, p

#133 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
So I'm planning on trying to do this whole Solstice thing right since it's our first year and our last without kids to get to bed. I think that means we're supposed to go to the game tonight, and the festival tomorrow. Am I missing anything? Anybody else going?

I still can't believe we're really in Alaska! FINALLY!
The Midnight Sun Run is always fun! It's tonight at 10pm don't know if it overlaps with the game or not...the costumes are fun and tons of people show up to run or walk. Enjoy your first Solstice in Alaska!!

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#134 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Midnight Sun Run is fun, but we're not registered and we're beat already.

The game is awesome!

Downtown stuff tomorrow is fun, just be prepared for crowds and to walk.

Have fun!

(I think I'll tell B we should name this one Septimus...number 7 and all).

love, p
My youngest was almost Octavius. We needed an O name, and my dad came up with it, but I was like, 8? It wasn't until later I realized he meant 8 as in 8 grandkids (3 are my sister's).

I think Septimus is a cool name. It reminds me of that movie with the magical world beyond Wall.. and there were all the brothers fighting for the throne, Primus, Secundus, Tertius, etc etc.. What was the name of that? There was a Star?

Ah, yes, StarDust.
#135 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 01:40 AM

Pinoikoi...I could just see B's face if I asked to name the baby StarDust. I did want to name Iris "Sunny" but got vetoed.

This will be my sixth, and our 7th total, so I thought Septimus would be an awesome name for a boy. We could have twins and name them Septimus and Octavius! : (B would fall over in a faint if we had twins!)

It will be SO nice to have a little lima bean baby again. I wish I wasn't starting out so overweight, but I know nursing will help me take it all off again.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Solstice!

love, p

#136 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Okay, Mamas, I'm confused.

Two mornings in a row I've had BFP tests. This morning I got a neg. ?????

I went potty at 2am, and woke again (I have insomnia issues) and took the test at 6am.

Shouldn't it have been a +?

Am I fooling myself?

(FWIW, I would have conceived on the 9th, or a day or two after, so this is cutting it pretty close to the "expect your period" time). Yes, I see my DP that infrequently!
I can't stand this!

love, p

#137 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Okay, Mamas, I'm confused.

Two mornings in a row I've had BFP tests. This morning I got a neg. ?????

I went potty at 2am, and woke again (I have insomnia issues) and took the test at 6am.

Shouldn't it have been a +?

Am I fooling myself?

(FWIW, I would have conceived on the 9th, or a day or two after, so this is cutting it pretty close to the "expect your period" time). Yes, I see my DP that infrequently!
I can't stand this!

love, p

It could have just been a bad test P. I'd wait and test maybe a couple of days later... when you know your HCGs will be much higher. Your levels may just be on that borderline where you get conflicted results on the HPTs... y/k?

#138 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
It could have just been a bad test P. I'd wait and test maybe a couple of days later... when you know your HCGs will be much higher. Your levels may just be on that borderline where you get conflicted results on the HPTs... y/k?
Yep, I agree.

Were all the tests from the same batch/box?
#139 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
The Midnight Sun Run is always fun! It's tonight at 10pm don't know if it overlaps with the game or not...the costumes are fun and tons of people show up to run or walk. Enjoy your first Solstice in Alaska!!
The Midnight Sun Baseball Game is tonight, Sunday. First pitch is at 10:30! Last night was the race.
#140 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 PM

i think that if you got two positives and then a negative - it was just a fluke on the negative.

i took a test one day and got a positive and then a week later took another test and it was negative - but i was definitely pregnant.

and congratulations, hopefully!!!

Katie
#141 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
The Midnight Sun Baseball Game is tonight, Sunday. First pitch is at 10:30! Last night was the race.
Ooooh, thank you for that! Maybe DH will get to take the olders with him to the game! He really wanted to go (thinking it was last night) but had been up on call after call after call Friday night and Sat morning. (Fire Department, for those who aren't familiar with our situation).

Anyway, that's a happy thought!

What did all of you do for your male partners today? He said he didn't want anything but a day home w/ the kids...so I just bought apples for apple pie (which is not a cheap or easy thing), but won't make it until mid-week because we have so much bday cake and DD made him a simple gold cake today, too...he doesn't care for fancy chocolate, which is what E requested in his cake.

I feel sort of bad not to have a huge FAther's DAy thing going on...OTOH, I made bread at 6am, he has 5 healthy kids here at home, one hopefully on the way, a clean house, and a happy family...is that enough? I sort of feel I ought to have seen some sort of "buying" need in him....yk, "Brad needs new socks, Brad needs a new Leatherman," etc...but he's a big boy. I was counting on him to give us some simple ideas!

love, p

#142 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Thank you, thank you thank you Karen!!

I was crying this morning and pulling the old test out over and over....the line is definitely there, very pink, very thick, not an evap line for sure!! And I wouldn't have lost my HCG that fast, would I? Even if I'd lost the blastocyst?

*sigh* It's so hard the first weeks.

/who am I kidding...it's hard all around!

love, penelope

#143 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post
i think that if you got two positives and then a negative - it was just a fluke on the negative.

i took a test one day and got a positive and then a week later took another test and it was negative - but i was definitely pregnant.

and congratulations, hopefully!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Stories like that are just what I need!

love, p

#144 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 PM

Congratulations

YES Happy Father's Day to all those significant males in our lives. :
#145 of 247 Old 06-21-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
What did all of you do for your male partners today?

love, p
I bought him a bottle of gin! The way I'm starting to swell, it's gonna be a long third trimester. Tonight we'll pick up some tonic water and maybe limes (limes are 10 for $1 in Colorado we're hoping they're not 1 for $10 here!) and my poor unsuspecting hubby can start putting me to bed early and having a drink!

lol am I encouraging the beginnings of alcoholism here?

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#146 of 247 Old 06-22-2009, 02:22 AM

Hubby got his FD present a month ago. It was a BBQ set (spatula, tongs, and a s&p shaker set) that was all hockey. The spatula was carved out like a goalie helmet, the tons were hockey sticks and the s&p shaker are pucks LOL And then Em made him a card

We went to some friends for a BBQ this afternoon. Rib Eyes and king crab.. YUMMMM! Tons of food and then tons of dessert and then we all went out back and played combat badminton! LOL It started innocent enough with the kids, then the dad's played the kids, then the moms played the kids.. then the moms played the dads and it got ugly LOL! I was laughing so hard I almost pee'd my pants. I don't think I ever remember laughing that hard with other adults when alcohol *wasn't* involved. We had such a great time. I don't think I'll be able to walk tomorrow, but it was totally worth it. Em is in a coma in her bed right now... lots and lots of fresh air!

#147 of 247 Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:

:

love, penelope
OMG!!! Whoo Freaken Hooo!

keeping fingers crossed this one sticks around!!!
#148 of 247 Old 06-22-2009, 03:12 AM

we just got back from Fairbanks. It rained a lot but man did I have a blast!
We set up in the rain on Friday night and woke up to a glorious sunny day Saturday.
Visited some of the old haunts and struck the Farmer's Market from some of Ms. Galena's super yummy vanilla rolls! Anyone have those? My Dh went early at 10am and they were nearly gone. !! We scored 11, just enough for 2 per kid and one for mom and dad to share. We also got an Almond Cake from her. My yearly treat.

So the oldest and her friend ran in the Midnight sun race. I only got video this year but I'll post it to You Tube this week.

Fairbanks and the Interior was just awesomely awesome!
#149 of 247 Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 AM

Hope all had a Happy Fathers Day and Solstice.
DH worked around the house most of the day, but he did get to take the dog out for a run and we took him to dinner, so that's good, right? I just hate buying stuff for all these occasions. makes me feel guilty though cause he tends to be the opposite, re: the buying, oh well.

Penelope : : Sending sticky vibes your way!!

Pinoikoi- we just watched Stardust recently, liked the novel better- I love Neil Gaiman, but too chicken for Coraline- that just creeps me out.

And thanks everyone for your replies on the house selling... I'm still not sure what we'll do. We're just over the 250k mark (that's what we want to walk away with), so not sure how it'll go. I think as we get closer to putting it on the market we're going to have to evaluate if we'll have the time and energy to do the selling ourselves (my guess is probably not )

anyway! if you know anyone in the market in anchorage...
#150 of 247 Old 06-22-2009, 03:57 AM

Karen, did your yard sale do well for you? I'm planning one for sometime when the weathers a bit nicer here in town. Currently just stacking stuff in the garage- sorting and pricing is next!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page