Alaska chat for June. - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
congratulations Spruce!:

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks, everyone.

As for the earthquake preparedness stuff, the big thing I'd look out for is Epi-pens...they really, really DO go bad after their expiration, or if they freeze. You also don't want to leave them in 100F cars all day and then hope they work.

It was the hardest thing for me when my food allergies started getting bad-before I figured out what it was I was reacting to-to keep my epi pen with me. So easy to leave it in a bag in the car (I don't usually carry a purse) and let it freeze while I"m in Fred's.

E (the 8yo) and I are going to work on our earthquake survival kits as a science project. He's very into everything outdoorsy now (I gave him my Gerber tool for his birthday...he looks like such a little man with a belt and a multi-tool!)

I'm loving the rain! It's doing my garden a world of good.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 06-23-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post

:

love, penelope
: YAY! : congrats!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 06-23-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
At any rate, be very careful when storing meds. Especially with kids, especially when you're pulling from one stash to make another. Everything would have to be very carefully marked and labeled and sealed. I'm sure the internet has plenty of ideas on how to do it safely, if any of those ideas can be trusted.
My emergency meds are stored in little vacuum sealed packages. I actually did that so that they were stored in a waterproof & tamperproof package. But in hindsight its also childproof - unless you kids gets the scissors and opens them. Each package has a outside & inside label and the instructions inside. I also try and turn them over every 1 or 2 years. Although my antibiotics are probably too old.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Congrats P!!! I'm so happy for you!

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
One thing to think about when stashing meds is that the pills can change as they sit over time.
Yep. I go through our medicines regularly and toss expired stuff, but when we moved I couldn't believe the stuff I uncovered.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 PM

great news P~~ !!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks, everyone.

E (the 8yo) and I are going to work on our earthquake survival kits as a science project. He's very into everything outdoorsy now (I gave him my Gerber tool for his birthday...he looks like such a little man with a belt and a multi-tool!)

love, p
That is such a great idea! I'll have to remember that one when this bean gets older.

I hope I didn't come across as pretentious or preachy, if I did, I apologize. I just wanted to remind everyone to double check that stuff before it implodes or something.

Right before we drove up here I went through all my old meds and was AMAZED at how much I'd accumulated in such a short period of time since I'd last cleaned out my cupboard. Since I was getting pretty pregnant, I sat on the floor and dumped all the meds I wasn't saving into the toilet. Once I got up and saw all the pills dissolving and bubbling in the bottom I was a little nervous what I might be doing to our sewer system or the city water supply!

(But we had regular divers in our dumpster and I couldn't just throw away muscle relaxers and pain killers.)

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
That is such a great idea! I'll have to remember that one when this bean gets older.

I hope I didn't come across as pretentious or preachy, if I did, I apologize. I just wanted to remind everyone to double check that stuff before it implodes or something.

Right before we drove up here I went through all my old meds and was AMAZED at how much I'd accumulated in such a short period of time since I'd last cleaned out my cupboard. Since I was getting pretty pregnant, I sat on the floor and dumped all the meds I wasn't saving into the toilet. Once I got up and saw all the pills dissolving and bubbling in the bottom I was a little nervous what I might be doing to our sewer system or the city water supply!

(But we had regular divers in our dumpster and I couldn't just throw away muscle relaxers and pain killers.)
You didn't sound preachy to me. I have serious asthma, and when we were getting rocked daily by those earthquakes, I was really wondering what I'd do if there was no access to med refills for a few weeks at a time. I see my PA tomorrow so I'll ask him about emergency meds.

Karen, how is the homeschool planning going? I just got E and M's ILP reports finished. I'm going for less is more this year...uber-simple paperwork, super-simple work samples. I don't want my focus on turning in their grades, I want it to be on what they're learning!!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 06-24-2009, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't feel it was preachy or pretentious either. Yes, we all know we are not supposed to keep/use expired medicines but it never hurts to be reminded. I recently had a cold with a nasty cough. I used all the cough medicine in the house so went digging in "that basket of old crap under the sink". Ugh, I did find some codine cough syrup but it was from 2005. And I can honestly say, I was sorely tempted to take it. Middle of the night, sick, miserable, bleh. Yea, I finally got that all cleaned out.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Karen, how is the homeschool planning going? I just got E and M's ILP reports finished. I'm going for less is more this year...uber-simple paperwork, super-simple work samples. I don't want my focus on turning in their grades, I want it to be on what they're learning!!

love, p
It's going okay. I did all the registration paper work and now I'm just waiting for the new family orientation in July.

I'm going to need some help in selecting curriculum for her to use, since I know she's not an out of the box kinda girl. I have no idea where she is on math. I read through the different grade levels of math, and what they are covering when I find one that has what she's currently doing, seems too hard. For example, she does simple algebra... but when I find one that is covering simple algebra, they are also covering geometry, etc. which just seems way too heavy for a kindergarten brain.. y/k? I have the same problem with reading and spelling. IDEA said they had an assessment they could do with her to give me a better idea of where she stands, so I'm hoping that will help, because right now, I'm lost.

I'm hoping after my orientation, I'll feel much more comfortable. I'm just such a flaming type A, virgo, perfectionist... so I have to have everything well defined and plans in place before I reach any level of comfort LOL!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 PM

is the sun coming back??

I miss it.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
is the sun coming back??

I miss it.
I agree... this continued gloom is really dampening my mood

Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
is the sun coming back??

I miss it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
I agree... this continued gloom is really dampening my mood

Ask, and ye shall receive!

It's a beautiful day out there!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Ask, and ye shall receive!

It's a beautiful day out there!

Where is there??? Because there isn't here. It's cold, and over cast and COLD and gloomy here.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 PM

Willow has been Warm and mostly sunny:
I think it should rain every other night, then I will not need to water the garden the rest of the summer

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Willow has been Warm and mostly sunny:
I think it should rain every other night, then I will not need to water the garden the rest of the summer
I'm not picky.... I'd even take rain every evening (after bed of course)

The sun just poked out here about an hour ago, so went out and rapidly mowed the lawn!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Where is there??? Because there isn't here. It's cold, and over cast and COLD and gloomy here.
Fairbanks. Don't worry, the sunshine will come again!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 PM

Ah, there was some sun today! Yippee!!!

My vegies are growing well (greenhouse) and I will have lots of tomatoes. I saw some pepper plants flowering today as well.

When is blueberry season here? I see the raspberries in our yard have some flowers and some baby berries starting.

I know that cranberries are just as school starts but I forget when the blueberries are ready. Help a fellow Alaskan out here please?

Oh and speaking of favors.......what about mushrooms? It has been 4 years since I went mushroom hunting but is there a "season" for them? And where might be a good place to look?

Remember I did all my "subsistence" stuff back in Delta Junction where town and woods are intertwined. So now that I am urbanized, I don't know where to go!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

My facebook has been hacked. So if you get a link from me, don't follow it, delete it, and for Heaven's sake, don't send me any nekkid pictures!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
don't send me any nekkid pictures!
are you sure?

Katie
Old 06-26-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
My facebook has been hacked. So if you get a link from me, don't follow it, delete it, and for Heaven's sake, don't send me any nekkid pictures!
Ah, no nekkid pics???
Old 06-26-2009, 06:48 AM

how does one's facebook get hacked anyway? and why would anyone do that?! I've gotten a couple of weird links from friends of mine through my messages, and I've just deleted them since they seemed kinda fishy, no note or anything personal. what happens if you follow the link?

don't worry though, Georgeann, I'm sure you'll be able to get your nekkid pics back soon, lol.

anyway, I'm going crosseyed from pricing yard sale things for this weekend. I haven't even gotten started on the clothes, and my DH is *supposed* to be going through more of his stuff tomorrow, so we'll have even more to do.
I haven't been yard saling much this summer so far... what are clothes going for these days anyway? Anyone in Anchorage want to come by, it'll be this weekend. Let's hope for some sun! (or at least no rain)

Tammie, I think blueberries are end of july, depending on sun. We usually go to arctic valley. Flattop/blueberry hill are popular, but get picked quick. Never been out for cranberries before and no idea about mushrooms.

And Congrats!!! to Penelope! That is so exciting! :
Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 PM

Was that another earthquake?

ETA: 4.1
Old 06-26-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinAK View Post
And Congrats!!! to Penelope! That is so exciting! :

My period started this morning. I"m only 17dpo, so I guess if I hadn't tested so early, I would have just missed the two + tests.

Thanks, though.

love, p

Old 06-26-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:

My period started this morning. I"m only 17dpo, so I guess if I hadn't tested so early, I would have just missed the two + tests.

Thanks, though.

love, p
Oh P..... I'm so sorry honey.

You have my number if you need to talk.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Some people have nothing better to do so they hack facebook/myspace accounts or they want to try to get more personal information. I'm pretty sure you have to click on something to get hacked. It can be something from a friend though (although not really from them IYKWIM).

I haven't felt a single earthquake. I think I've slept through most of them though.

Is anyone growing beans, peas, or broccoli this year? How big should they be at this point? This is my first year growing them so I'm a little clueless. My broccoli (well some of it) is just starting to get the editable broccoli parts, and my peas and beans are only a couple inches tall. They're supposed to be the ones that mature in 60 days or something and it's been about half that. No greenhouse, they're all outdoors.

Becky
Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry.

Becky
Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 PM

heartmommy,

Did you start your peas or beans indoors, or did you cover them before they sprouted? That makes a huge difference.

If you covered your broccoli, it might actually have been burnt by the heat of the few hot weeks we had.

(Wait...you're in the Palmer-ish area, aren't you? So my advice probably stinks.)

My broccoli is about 7 inches from soil up, and has nice huge leaves. Right now, though, the rain is taking time off our growing hours, so be patient.

We're all hoping not to have a season like last year, where nothing (even my ever-blooming-all-covering nasturtiums) grew. OTOH, a season like the year BEFORE last, where we had heat and sun all day, and rain many nights, was WONDERFUL!!

Good luck, gardening up here can be very hit and miss.
love, p

Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 PM

I'm in Wasilla.

My broccoli... well I have some that I bought at a nursery and they are probably a foot tall or nearly and some have the actually broccoli part that you eat just started (hope that makes sense). The others I started from seed but didn't transplant earlier enough but they're about 6 inches, huge leaves. I didn't cover them.

Peas... I bought a few plants at a nursery and they're produce pods already. Not a ton yet but tasty. The rest I started from seed in the ground. I didn't cover them. For future reference, what would I cover them with? I planted June 1st and soaked them in water for 24 hours before planting. The peas sprouted within a week and the beans just over a week barely.

Last year was my first year (veggie) gardening. I got lots of lettuce and some smallish carrots (didn't thin enough and soil needed more work), but not much of anything else. This year is my first year with my flower gardens. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Did you start your peas or beans indoors, or did you cover them before they sprouted? That makes a huge difference.

If you covered your broccoli, it might actually have been burnt by the heat of the few hot weeks we had.

(Wait...you're in the Palmer-ish area, aren't you? So my advice probably stinks.)

My broccoli is about 7 inches from soil up, and has nice huge leaves. Right now, though, the rain is taking time off our growing hours, so be patient.

We're all hoping not to have a season like last year, where nothing (even my ever-blooming-all-covering nasturtiums) grew. OTOH, a season like the year BEFORE last, where we had heat and sun all day, and rain many nights, was WONDERFUL!!

Good luck, gardening up here can be very hit and miss.
love, p

Becky

User Tag List