Alaska chat for June. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 247 Old 06-04-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't forget to check out the last few posts in the May thread.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...1078671&page=7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 247 Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 PM

1stimestar, was that you at Clucking Blossom? I went to the orgasmic birth stuff and as we left it occurred to me that you might be the very first person I've ever met online first, then IRL!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#3 of 247 Old 06-04-2009, 05:52 PM

Lalala... need more coffee.

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#4 of 247 Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Happy June!
#5 of 247 Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

No I didn't get to go to Clucking Blossom this year. Too busy working on a "secret project" (cue Mission Impossible music) lol. But hey, if you want to get together for coffee sometime, let me know.
#6 of 247 Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 PM

oooh...secret projects! we should probably know more!

Katie
#7 of 247 Old 06-06-2009, 01:17 AM

nak. I have a double chariot that i want to trade for a single chariot. if you know anyone lmk! thanks!
#8 of 247 Old 06-06-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
you might be the very first person I've ever met online first, then IRL!
it's so surreal!

Katie
#9 of 247 Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 PM

checking in! Had a computer melt down but I am back.

BTW, I am thinking of doing a homebirth this go around.. when do most patients start seeing their midwife? One of my neighbors said she started when she was 5 months already, but that seemed kind of late to me? Also, I am already on progesterone supplements, so not sure if that is a deal breaker or not..
#10 of 247 Old 06-06-2009, 11:22 PM

i don't know about your supplements...but if i were going to start seeing a mw i would likely start around 5 months. if you wanted to sooner though, you could!!

Katie
#11 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 12:23 AM

Unfrozen--how are you? Where are you?
#12 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 AM

I saw my mw at 6 weeks, but I needed a referral for an ultrasound otherwise I might have started later.

CPST & mom

#13 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Most MWs want to see you around 12 weeks. If you want stuff like 7 week ultrasounds, you can probably find a MW group that will work with you that early.

I started seeing a MW at something like 28 weeks during one of my pregnancies. We were going to to unassisted, but DH decided he'd just rather have a MW. They were very cool with that.

Anyway, it's up to you. If the progesterone is to protect the pregnancy, I would ask them how *they* feel about that. If this baby is sticky, then it doesn't present a hazard to a natural MW-assisted birth, right? The progesterone, IIRC, is just to keep the ... sticky... going? So I wouldn't think it would be a deal-breaker.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#14 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 AM

Got my garden in and done yesterday! Our rabbit situation is hilarious. I don't foresee getting much produce from the gardens actually into the house, but I'm okay with rabbits eating a .99c package of lettuce seeds grown into actual lettuces. (Well, of course I'd rather eat them myself...)

We've never had *any* of our raised beds (or the other gardening spots we've tried) eaten by anything, and we get a LOT of moose and rabbits on our land. I'll be interested to see if I'm right about this year.

So...my garden inventory: Nasturtiums, phlox, sweat pea, creeping jenny, petunias, double petunias, pansies, one purple and yellow iris which Iris chose, yellow begonias, snapdragons, lobelia, dwarf sunflowers, peppermint, yellow daisies (they have a special name I can't remember), scizanthus (sp??), basil, cucumber, broccoli, lettuce, salvia, and a few I've forgotten.

:

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#15 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Got my garden in and done yesterday! Our rabbit situation is hilarious. I don't foresee getting much produce from the gardens actually into the house, but I'm okay with rabbits eating a .99c package of lettuce seeds grown into actual lettuces. (Well, of course I'd rather eat them myself...)

We've never had *any* of our raised beds (or the other gardening spots we've tried) eaten by anything, and we get a LOT of moose and rabbits on our land. I'll be interested to see if I'm right about this year.

So...my garden inventory: Nasturtiums, phlox, sweat pea, creeping jenny, petunias, double petunias, pansies, one purple and yellow iris which Iris chose, yellow begonias, snapdragons, lobelia, dwarf sunflowers, peppermint, yellow daisies (they have a special name I can't remember), scizanthus (sp??), basil, cucumber, broccoli, lettuce, salvia, and a few I've forgotten.

:

love, p
oh that sounds wonderful! So much variety! I cannot wait until we finally have a wonderful full garden like that!

We have invested in a Greenhouse and currently have tomatoes, green peppers, anaheim peppers, and 2 broccoli. We tried our hand at hydroponics but without investing in $3000 worth of lighting, we just are wasting our time and electricity. So we let our beans and peas go and just transplanted the toms and peppers into soil and placed them in the greenhouse.

Our topsoil is PITIFUL and getting a load of dirt into the backyard will take many man hours. Yes, I am full of complaints today!

Anywhooooooo........... I love my greenhouse and cannot wait to see it full of fresh foods here soon! Our toms are already growing baby cherry tomatoes, just waiting for them to turn red!
#16 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
checking in! Had a computer melt down but I am back.

BTW, I am thinking of doing a homebirth this go around.. when do most patients start seeing their midwife? One of my neighbors said she started when she was 5 months already, but that seemed kind of late to me? Also, I am already on progesterone supplements, so not sure if that is a deal breaker or not..
Oh that is so awesome! Need a Doula? LOL

I love going to midwives and feel so spoiled by the pregnancy attention. I would probably start about 12 weeks.
#17 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Unfrozen--how are you? Where are you?
At the same house still. I emailed landlord yesterday to get a definitive move out date. Nothing has panned out for me yet. I am ok, but pretty wigged out about my future. My biggest fear is that we will wind up in a shelter. Trying to sell a lot of stuff on Craig's List for groceries and bills.

Thanks for asking.
#18 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Oh that is so awesome! Need a Doula? LOL
Are you a doula? I have considered getting one.. I think I have to take a wait and see approach, though. My progesterone is good now (38!) but it was dangerously low for a while, and I had planned on being as low intervention as possible this time, so that kind of didn't pan out.

I had been charting for three months and wasn't seeing clear O patterns. I demanded some blood work to check if I was ovulating, and the results came back the day I got a positive pregnancy test. The PA was pretty shocked, she said my numbers indicated I shouldn't be "able" to get pregnant (PCOS). So anyway, I had to start meds pretty much right away.

I feel strange that I am already on meds and barely pregnant, but I want the baby to stick, so I will do what I have to. I still want a low intervention birth, and would prefer to birth at home, but the way I am headed?
#19 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrozncavegrl View Post
I am ok, but pretty wigged out about my future.
Are you getting financial support from xh? If not, pursue that even if he's broke as it'll set up a record. I don't really know the resources but I know there ARE supports avail to help out b4 it gets to shelter point. I just emailed a social worker friend & will get back to you w/her suggestions.
#20 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Are you getting financial support from xh? If not, pursue that even if he's broke as it'll set up a record. I don't really know the resources but I know there ARE supports avail to help out b4 it gets to shelter point. I just emailed a social worker friend & will get back to you w/her suggestions.
Thanks so much! (what happened to that smilie that was smiling, but shedding a tear!?)

Child support is provided, but it is minimal. I have an appt with state assistance this Wed to set up food stamps.

I have filled out several rental applications, but the fact is I do not have a job. Single mom. Three kids. Two dogs. No job.
#21 of 247 Old 06-07-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks so much! (what happened to that smilie that was smiling, but shedding a tear!?)

Child support is provided, but it is minimal. I have an appt with state assistance this Wed to set up food stamps.

I have filled out several rental applications, but the fact is I do not have a job. Single mom. Three kids. Two dogs. No job.
There are lots of rent subsidized apartments up here. I assume there are down there as well. I doubt many take pets though. Make ex take the dogs so you can find a place to live.
#22 of 247 Old 06-08-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Our topsoil is PITIFUL and getting a load of dirt into the backyard will take many man hours. Yes, I am full of complaints today!
You might consider getting chickens. I don't know what dirt/soil costs in Anchorage (it is an absolute fortune here!) but the chickens will make manure which after letting sit a few months, you can mix in to make a nice soil full of nutrients. They cost some money and take some effort, but they give you nice eggs and manure in return. We're going with banties for the pet factor as well...
#23 of 247 Old 06-08-2009, 02:54 AM

as far as fertilizer goes, we give our ash (from our woodstove) to a friend who doesn't burn wood but does compost, and we used to also save corn cobs, rinds, etc for her worm and compost and chicken feed piles. (Now we're such big families with so much going on, it isn't practical to save anything that will rot...so we just share our woodstove ash with her). You could look around for other gardening/farming/woodstove burning folks who have ash/rinds/cobs, etc to share.

love, p

#24 of 247 Old 06-08-2009, 03:10 AM

Unfrozen----not as helpful as I'd hoped but she recommends you call/visit these folks & ask for help/resources:

Clare House. It is part of Catholic Social Services and is off of Arctic near Tudor. It is a good place for women with children to get back on their feet.
#25 of 247 Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Are you a doula? I have considered getting one.. I think I have to take a wait and see approach, though. My progesterone is good now (38!) but it was dangerously low for a while, and I had planned on being as low intervention as possible this time, so that kind of didn't pan out.

I had been charting for three months and wasn't seeing clear O patterns. I demanded some blood work to check if I was ovulating, and the results came back the day I got a positive pregnancy test. The PA was pretty shocked, she said my numbers indicated I shouldn't be "able" to get pregnant (PCOS). So anyway, I had to start meds pretty much right away.

I feel strange that I am already on meds and barely pregnant, but I want the baby to stick, so I will do what I have to. I still want a low intervention birth, and would prefer to birth at home, but the way I am headed?
well, I am! but there are also lots more in the state. Are you in the Anchorage area? Send me an email and I can send you a list of the Doulas.

I dont see why you cannot have a low-intervention pregnancy and birth. Just because you need a little help now does not mean the rest of the pregnancy will be hard.

I would definitely start calling midwives and interviewing some.

I had complete placenta previa with my 6th pregnancy, which lead to lots of OB visits and Ultrasounds....talks of c-sections and bedrest....turns out that baby was my first homebirth!!
#26 of 247 Old 06-08-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
At the same house still. I emailed landlord yesterday to get a definitive move out date. Nothing has panned out for me yet. I am ok, but pretty wigged out about my future. My biggest fear is that we will wind up in a shelter. Trying to sell a lot of stuff on Craig's List for groceries and bills.

Thanks for asking.

What about Safe Harbor Inn? I dont really know much about it but I know a lady that is staying there with her 2 year old.
#27 of 247 Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akemt View Post
You might consider getting chickens. I don't know what dirt/soil costs in Anchorage (it is an absolute fortune here!) but the chickens will make manure which after letting sit a few months, you can mix in to make a nice soil full of nutrients. They cost some money and take some effort, but they give you nice eggs and manure in return. We're going with banties for the pet factor as well...
I would LOVE to get chickens but I am under the impression that chickens are frowned upon here in Anchorage.
From what I have found and heard, it is not really the chicken that is the problem but there is an ordinance that states all coops/housing must be 100 feet from any edge of your property. Well, most lots in Anchorage dont have that kind of space.

If anyone knows of anything different please let me know!
#28 of 247 Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
as far as fertilizer goes, we give our ash (from our woodstove) to a friend who doesn't burn wood but does compost, and we used to also save corn cobs, rinds, etc for her worm and compost and chicken feed piles. (Now we're such big families with so much going on, it isn't practical to save anything that will rot...so we just share our woodstove ash with her). You could look around for other gardening/farming/woodstove burning folks who have ash/rinds/cobs, etc to share.

love, p
Great idea! A compost pile is on the "project list"!
#29 of 247 Old 06-08-2009, 04:20 PM

i have sort of always wanted to be a doula...how do you start that? not that i really will start it, but i'm curious and maybe will be motivated at some point.

Katie
#30 of 247 Old 06-08-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:

First Baptist in Wasilla has a food pantry and Good Shepherd Lutheran has assistance available as well. I know that both churches sometimes have funds that they are able to use to help as well. And I don't believe either requires counseling, either, though I'm not positive on that one.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page