Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
http://www.epi.alaska.gov/pubs/Immun...Manual_v03.pdf

page 37 for a medical exemption
page 38 for a religious exemption
:

Now here's a question...we're actually delayed/selective, so I very much doubt I could get a medical exemption...and my religion doens't officially say anything one way or the other about medical choices. But can I pull the religion card anyway? I mean, if I prayed about whether or not to vax then it's a religious reason, right?! (If they bug me about it then it's religious harrassment isn't it? They kinda have no foot to stand on if I use that reason?)
Geeze, this was easier in WA which had the philosophical exemption. I have to admit I'm a little surprised that easy-going old AK doesn't have that one!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#302 of 372 Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post

Now here's a question...we're actually delayed/selective, so I very much doubt I could get a medical exemption...and my religion doens't officially say anything one way or the other about medical choices. But can I pull the religion card anyway? I mean, if I prayed about whether or not to vax then it's a religious reason, right?! (If they bug me about it then it's religious harrassment isn't it? They kinda have no foot to stand on if I use that reason?)
Geeze, this was easier in WA which had the philosophical exemption. I have to admit I'm a little surprised that easy-going old AK doesn't have that one!
I'm also surprised at the lack of philosophical exemption here.

Jenni, I use the religious exemption even thought my non-denom Christian faith doesn't proclaim a formal stance on vaccinations. We've made our decision with prayer and research, so our exemption is "religious" enough to fall in line, imho.
#303 of 372 Old 07-26-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
:

You should be able to file a religious exemption even if you are doing delayed. They can't question your reasons or religion.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#304 of 372 Old 07-26-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
You should be able to file a religious exemption even if you are doing delayed. They can't question your reasons or religion.
Yep. AND they can't question if you have done some of the vax's as they can't legally look into your childs medical history without your permission. The moment you pull the 'religion care' out of that hat they have to just say ok or it puts them at risk for harassment/discrimination issues.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#305 of 372 Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
:

I think there are only a couple of states that actually grill you, and try and make you "prove" your religeous sincerity.
You should be just fine here.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#306 of 372 Old 07-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Ladies,
I am making some changes around here, and reprioritizing where I am spending my time.

My final push came this morning at church.
One of the men that preached, mentioned something that really struck home. Its something I have been pondering recently, but was not ready to do.
It was along the lines of spending my time in other peoples business, rather then focusing on Christ, my family, my home and those around me in real life, in that order.
I have let things get out of order, and I have allowed the first one to be more important of late. ie., this board.
I could try and "cut back" on here, but in reality, going cold turkey would be far better.

If anyone would like to keep in contact, just PM me for my email addy, sometime in the next couple of days.

I have learned much on this board, and I may come back in the future.
Especially if we are able to have a little one, and I need soem AP advise and support
Meanwhile, I am going to focus on getting my Keeper of the Home status back under control.
I have much to do around here, and I want everything in its place before snow flies.
Blessings to you all,
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#307 of 372 Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 PM

I just found out that my best friend is pregnant :::: I'm so excited!

She's going to cloth diaper, so I get to help her shop. I'm so excited!! (did I mention I'm excited?) Now I need to get a refresher on what is out there for diapers. I've not touched a cloth diaper in 3 years.

Do you know if anyone locally sells them?

#308 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I just found out that my best friend is pregnant :::: I'm so excited!

She's going to cloth diaper, so I get to help her shop. I'm so excited!! (did I mention I'm excited?) Now I need to get a refresher on what is out there for diapers. I've not touched a cloth diaper in 3 years.

Do you know if anyone locally sells them?
Take her to Sugar and Spice! I LOVE that shop! They are in the old University Center- the side opposite of Natural Pantry.. they have organic baby clothes, bamboo feeding spoons and cloth diapers..

http://sugarandspiceak.com/ourfriends.html

They don't have TONS of cloth diaper options- but there is a consignment section and she sells kangas, fuzzibunz, and a few others..

I checked out the fuzzibunz one size while I was there a few months ago.. really love that shop!

http://www.birchtreebaby.com/catalog.php?category=3

This is Claire's site, but I thought she was selling her online store? So I am not really sure if it sold or what the deal is with that? Anyone know if it has a new owner?

Oh, yeah, and belly baby and beyond in Eagle River had some cloth diapers, and bravado nursing bras... it has mainly new stuff.. I found a few consignment maternity items, but it is a cute shop to make it to..

http://www.bellybabybeyond.com/Site/Welcome.html

Apparently Providence Hospital has a lactation center that sells bravado and other things as well, if she is intending on breastfeeding I would make a stop there.. (I know you were interested in cloth, but I was so excited when i found out about this!)
#309 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
:

For what it's worth, NO ONE has ever asked me. I just copied the form, signed it, had it notarized and handed it in.
#310 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Ladies,
I am making some changes around here, and reprioritizing where I am spending my time.

My final push came this morning at church.
One of the men that preached, mentioned something that really struck home. Its something I have been pondering recently, but was not ready to do.
It was along the lines of spending my time in other peoples business, rather then focusing on Christ, my family, my home and those around me in real life, in that order.
I have let things get out of order, and I have allowed the first one to be more important of late. ie., this board.
I could try and "cut back" on here, but in reality, going cold turkey would be far better.

If anyone would like to keep in contact, just PM me for my email addy, sometime in the next couple of days.

I have learned much on this board, and I may come back in the future.
Especially if we are able to have a little one, and I need soem AP advise and support
Meanwhile, I am going to focus on getting my Keeper of the Home status back under control.
I have much to do around here, and I want everything in its place before snow flies.
Blessings to you all,
Paula

We will miss you while you are gone but I totally know why you are leaving.

Take care!
#311 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 AM

For cloth diapers, I used mainly Bum Genius one size pockets and have been really happy with them. My dd started wearing them when she was 6 weeks old and is still wearing the same dipes at 22 months. I didn't buy them locally since I couldn't find anywhere that sold them. The target in anchorage might carry them but I know the one in wasilla doesn't. I've seen them at targets in the lower 48.

So today we had a get together at our house and get this...... (I'm so excited!!)........ we have raspberries, currants, high and low bush cranberries, and rose hips.......... right here, in my backyard! So I'm going to pick all the currants that I can tomorrow as they're ripe. One of our friends told me to wait until the first frost to pick any of the cranberries (does that sound right to any of you cranberry pickers?). Anyone have a recipe or ideas for the rose hips (might not be spelling that right but you know what I mean)? They aren't ready yet either but we've got lots. Only a few raspberries but I'm going to get some baby bushes from a friend's mom so I can have my own patch. Now I just need to find some blueberries. Do blueberries spread? Okay bad news, while we were exploring, I stepped in a bee nest and got stung a bunch of times along with my dd (she only got a couple as I quickly picked her up and gave her to a friend. Any good home remedies for helping with the stinging and swelling and overall uncomfortabliness of bees? (They were the itty bitty bees, whatever they're called)

Becky
#312 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmommyak View Post
So today we had a get together at our house and get this...... (I'm so excited!!)........ we have raspberries, currants, high and low bush cranberries, and rose hips.......... right here, in my backyard! So I'm going to pick all the currants that I can tomorrow as they're ripe. One of our friends told me to wait until the first frost to pick any of the cranberries (does that sound right to any of you cranberry pickers?). Anyone have a recipe or ideas for the rose hips (might not be spelling that right but you know what I mean)? They aren't ready yet either but we've got lots. Only a few raspberries but I'm going to get some baby bushes from a friend's mom so I can have my own patch. Now I just need to find some blueberries. Do blueberries spread? Okay bad news, while we were exploring, I stepped in a bee nest and got stung a bunch of times along with my dd (she only got a couple as I quickly picked her up and gave her to a friend. Any good home remedies for helping with the stinging and swelling and overall uncomfortabliness of bees? (They were the itty bitty bees, whatever they're called)
Really sorry about the bees.. I would bathe in oatmeal baths..

but how in the heck did you not know you had those berries in your backyard?
#313 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For cloth diapers, I used mainly Bum Genius one size pockets and have been really happy with them. My dd started wearing them when she was 6 weeks old and is still wearing the same dipes at 22 months. I didn't buy them locally since I couldn't find anywhere that sold them. The target in anchorage might carry them but I know the one in wasilla doesn't. I've seen them at targets in the lower 48.

I'm not sure what to do for bee stings a day after but that same day a baking soda paste helps. You cal also use mustard.

Cranberries are best in late fall, I'm assuming it is the frost that does it! I know that they are usually ripe right abound labor day/first of school (but they start a bit earlier here then in Fairbanks)
#314 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM

For bee stings, I use the homeopathic remedy apis mellifica. You could also try some arnica gel topically... and bentonite clay topically with pascalite clay internally. And lots of vitamin C every few hours to flush the toxin.

Cranberries are indeed better after a frost.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#315 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Take her to Sugar and Spice! I LOVE that shop! They are in the old University Center- the side opposite of Natural Pantry.. they have organic baby clothes, bamboo feeding spoons and cloth diapers..

http://sugarandspiceak.com/ourfriends.html

They don't have TONS of cloth diaper options- but there is a consignment section and she sells kangas, fuzzibunz, and a few others..

I checked out the fuzzibunz one size while I was there a few months ago.. really love that shop!

http://www.birchtreebaby.com/catalog.php?category=3

This is Claire's site, but I thought she was selling her online store? So I am not really sure if it sold or what the deal is with that? Anyone know if it has a new owner?

Oh, yeah, and belly baby and beyond in Eagle River had some cloth diapers, and bravado nursing bras... it has mainly new stuff.. I found a few consignment maternity items, but it is a cute shop to make it to..

http://www.bellybabybeyond.com/Site/Welcome.html

Apparently Providence Hospital has a lactation center that sells bravado and other things as well, if she is intending on breastfeeding I would make a stop there.. (I know you were interested in cloth, but I was so excited when i found out about this!)
Thanks! Yes... she wants to breastfeed! I'm just so tickled. This is the first time one of, as my husband puts it "my people" has been pg since I gave birth to my daughter... so I'm so excited to get to help her!

#316 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Really sorry about the bees.. I would bathe in oatmeal baths..

but how in the heck did you not know you had those berries in your backyard?
Well the vast majority of the berries are in the area of our property outside of our yard.... in the wild, uncharted area. We have almost 2 acres. It's super mossy and completely overgrown and wooded etc. and I just never went exploring. Plus last night, I had a couple people who went with me that knew what the berries were (raspberries I would have known for sure but the cranberries, rosehips, and currants I wouldn't have been sure about).

I have two areas that hurt the worst yesterday and still are sore, red, hot, and a bit swollen today. It'll take a few days for that to go away. Dd looks a lot better today though, I can barely see where she got stung. Man those little suckers hurt! One of my friends did make me a baking soda paste after I got out of the shower and that did help a little.

Becky
#317 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
:

If you believe God gave you your children to raise in as healthy a manner as you knew how to do, and you believe that non/delayed vaccination is healthiest for them, then you have a religious exmption. They can not ask you for details in this state.
#318 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 05:29 PM

That's great about her wanting to BF. I knew only a couple people that BF before I had my dd and I wasn't close with anyone who did BF. You will be a great support to your friend I"m sure. BTW, my best friend decided to try BFing but ended up pumping for six months when her son was born last year. She is someone who I never ever thought would even try to do either and even though she didn't pump for too long, I'm proud of her for how long she did go for.

I'm not sure if you can say so in this thread, and if not, could someone PM me the answer instead... but who are the pro BFing, AP supportive pediatricians out here in the valley? B/c I know the one I have for dd isn't. She's a great doctor and all and has always been good about answer my numerous questions and been very attentive to dd's medical needs but I hate the advice she always gives me IYKWIM.

Becky
#319 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 07:02 PM

Karen, I don't know of anyone in the Valley that has diapers, but that seems to have been answered. Sometimes you can find them used in the various consignment shops (the one over by Wendy's seems to get them more often -- Tummies and Tots, I think it's called). However, Jillian's Drawers and Thanks, Mama both have reasonable shipping rates. Or did, anyway. I am currently diaper shopping on diaperswappers and here in the trading post for my sister. The hard part is not knowing whether she's having a boy or girl. I keep finding really cute diapers that are either boyish or girlish and my sister is the kind of person who would care.

Oh, there is a place in Fairbanks. Blueberry Baby, I think.
#320 of 372 Old 07-27-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well the vast majority of the berries are in the area of our property outside of our yard.... in the wild, uncharted area. We have almost 2 acres. It's super mossy and completely overgrown and wooded etc. and I just never went exploring. Plus last night, I had a couple people who went with me that knew what the berries were (raspberries I would have known for sure but the cranberries, rosehips, and currants I wouldn't have been sure about).

I have two areas that hurt the worst yesterday and still are sore, red, hot, and a bit swollen today. It'll take a few days for that to go away. Dd looks a lot better today though, I can barely see where she got stung. Man those little suckers hurt! One of my friends did make me a baking soda paste after I got out of the shower and that did help a little.
if you have cranberries, I bet you also have crow berries!
#321 of 372 Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 AM

I checked to see what crowberries look like since I've never seen them and we have green stuff that looks just like that but I didn't see berries (or they were really immature yet... can't remember). Any idea when they usually are ready to pick?

Any ideas what a little orange berry would be? I believe it was pretty low to the ground (not on a bush in other words).

Becky
#322 of 372 Old 07-28-2009, 03:23 AM

Are crowberries mainly a "filler" berry? I've read that they are tasteless and usually added in with blueberries for pies and jams, etc. I need to find a good Alaska berry book!

Becky
#323 of 372 Old 07-28-2009, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I checked to see what crowberries look like since I've never seen them and we have green stuff that looks just like that but I didn't see berries (or they were really immature yet... can't remember). Any idea when they usually are ready to pick?

Any ideas what a little orange berry would be? I believe it was pretty low to the ground (not on a bush in other words).
I found crowberries on Saturday that were ripe and ready. They were with the cranberries for the most part. Also blueberries are ready but when we got to our patch, the bears had already been through.

I know which ones you are talking about.
the orange ones....

They are not in my edible book. I'm not sure what they are exactly but I never see any animals eating them

But if you see these, dont eat them!
http://www.douglloydphotography.com/...eberry~601.jpg
#324 of 372 Old 07-28-2009, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are crowberries mainly a "filler" berry? I've read that they are tasteless and usually added in with blueberries for pies and jams, etc. I need to find a good Alaska berry book!
I tried them and they taste like Pomegranate. My DD loves them raw. We did not get many berries this weekend so her "taste test" only included a small 6 year old handful.

I found some AWESOME books at the Loussac this week.

"Alaska Wild Plants" is a cute pocket sized book with COLOR photos! And I found 3 more with recipes and stuff. One is Native.
#325 of 372 Old 07-28-2009, 11:40 PM

Can we talk a minute about swine flu? I wasn't concerned about it at all last year, mainly because of the timing.. I really feel that if swine flu had made it to Alaska a little earlier in the year, we might have been hit pretty hard with it (closed up houses, and all that..) plus with kids in school, germs spread like crazy, but since we didn't start seeing it here until we started having tourists, I knew that school would soon be out, and the probability of easy spread would diminish that way (kid to kid)..

But since we are ttc again... and I teach.. I am a bit more concerned about this Fall.. any thoughts?

I found these articles on swine flu and pregnancy if anyone is interested..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...93703#32193703

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...93703#32191719

With my kids I selective and delay vax, I got the regular flu vaccine last year with no side effects, and I will probably do that again this year (hoping I can get it before I am pregnant, though, but not sure if that is possible?)

Not sure at all about how I feel about the swine flu vaccine.. generally I think it is getting super rushed through..
#326 of 372 Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 PM

I had read that the previous swine flu vaccine killed a lot of people and injured significantly numbers. I'm pretty paranoid about vaccines to begin with, and then when they were given immunity against law suits to administer the same recipe vaccine that they used last time, I swore against it.

In all honesty, until I can find something that tells me it's safe... we won't even consider it.

From what I gathered, the numbers in Alaska were still pretty small. Has there been a new outbreak?

#327 of 372 Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:

From what I gathered, the numbers in Alaska were still pretty small. Has there been a new outbreak?
I read that generally in warm weather, flu doesn't survive, so we wouldn't see another upsurge until Fall... but I think it is likely.

Ironically, though adn was reporting the first Alaskan fatality from swine flu, although they said at this point they aren't sure if she contracted it out of state or here..
#328 of 372 Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
I read that generally in warm weather, flu doesn't survive, so we wouldn't see another upsurge until Fall... but I think it is likely.

Ironically, though adn was reporting the first Alaskan fatality from swine flu, although they said at this point they aren't sure if she contracted it out of state or here..
I had read that she died out of state and had multiple underlying medical issues.

I think with swine flu, as any other flu, the key to staying healthy is to wash hands a lot and just keep good housekeeping practices when you are surrounded by children.

#329 of 372 Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 AM

I get info on swine flu for my job. (I do emergency preparedness planning, including pandemic preparedness.) The swine flu is apparently hitting pretty hard in the southern hemisphere, where it is flu season. I think it was public health in New Zealand that reported that this flu seems particularly contagious. The WHO and CDC are estimating very high transmission & infection rates. Normally, 15% infected is considered a severe flu season. Estimates for this year have been made in the 30%-40% range. If you get the flu now (before October) it is pretty much assumed to be swine flu, since normal flu isn't usually around this time of year. Swine flu is expected to hit hard as soon as school starts just due to all of the opportunities for infection. (Hint: Teach your kids to religously wash their hands - the right way, not get it wet way; always use a tissue and cough into their shoulder - not their hands.)

It should be noted that a huge concern about pandemics/epidemics is economic concerns, even if their is a very low fatality rate. These numbers are off the top of my head but here's an example: If say Anchorage gets hit hard during a short period - say a month - and 25% of people here get sick then. You could have 5-10% of the work force home sick. Add another 5% home carrying for sick kids. Also some are going to stay home with healthy kids, because their childcare provider is sick. Workers without sick leave are going to go to work sick, making more people sick who either stay home or go to work making even more sick. Some workers without sick leave will lose their jobs if/when they don't come in. Families with sick members aren't going to go out to eat, out to the movies, etc - reducing the $ spent at small businesses. Workers staying home without pay spend less too. Families without health insurance are going to fill emergency rooms with folks in respiratory distress increasing medical costs. Families paying unexpected doctors & prescription bills spend less money. Schools and police & fire departments are going to have increased personnel costs due to paying overtime to cover for sick employees or paying substitute teachers. It all just snowballs. (When I was working on some issues regarding Chicken Pox & it's vaccine - economics was a big issue. Its recommended that a child stay isolated/ home from school for 10 days. I have sick leave, but just 1 week. One sick kid could really hurt us financially. Let alone effects to the general economy.)

I'll get the regular flu vaccine - so will my DS, DH and my parents before they come up for #2's birth. I'll have to wait to see about the swine flu vax.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#330 of 372 Old 07-29-2009, 04:44 AM

Hi I have been searching Mothering.com for a moms groups or play group or something in Fairbanks or North Pole as we have just moved her and my 2 year old is tired of adult company! I saw your posts and thought someone might know of a good moms group? Not military (I found those online adn dont qualify)! Anyhow any help would be appreciated! I am also 35.5 weeks preggo so we are also looking for a good daycare/babysitter so we can go to childbirth classes (my first was breech and we are having a VBAC unfortunately at the hospital (I had a midwife in Montana)). Anyhow any help would be appreciated! Jamie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page