ALASKA CHAT for JULY! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 372 Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akemt View Post
I think it quite insane to be giving it to pregnant women first and foremost! Personally, I make it a habbit not to try anything FDA approved till it has been on the market atleast 4 years (10 preferably!) since they are ALWAYS recalling FDA aproved medicines because they're killing people or doing permanent damage.

Aside from that, I think the swine flu is another overdone issue. It is a mild to moderate flu like the ones that pass through our communities often, I have yet to hear of it killing someone who hasn't had serious underlying conditions to begin with, and YAH, pregnant women are WAY more likely to need to be hospitalized with ANY flu, not just swine flu.

I'm not anti-vaccine, but I do believe in letting my own immune system handle what it can, and in not overloading a budding one (inutero or newborn) with toxic chemicals so that they can be "protected."
another :

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#362 of 372 Old 07-31-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
No really not hard. I buy or harvest as I have a horrible black thumb. basically take herbs - put in jar with alcohol - put in warm dark area - shake daily - sit for 1-3 months - rebottle.

Obviously that changes a little if you are using bark/roots rather then leaves or if you want an non alcohol based tincture but the basic process is the same. I totally use mine, i've slowed down this summer but all winter I was using them like they were going out of style.

It's also way fun and makes you feel so 'with it'
that's awesome! THanks for the tips!
#363 of 372 Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 PM

Regarding vaccinations: I just saw a commercial on tv with the slogan, don't wait, vaccinate. It shows a little girl playing outside, it says she played all day and forgot to get vaccinated. She then tried to go to school and there were signs on the school door saying she couldn't go to school without being vaccinated. Then she had to wait a long, long time in a long, long line to get vaccinated so she could go to school.

My oldest is only four, but I am thinking she will attend public school in a couple years. We select/delay vaccinate. Will this choice keep her from attending public school?

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#364 of 372 Old 07-31-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Regarding vaccinations: I just saw a commercial on tv with the slogan, don't wait, vaccinate. It shows a little girl playing outside, it says she played all day and forgot to get vaccinated. She then tried to go to school and there were signs on the school door saying she couldn't go to school without being vaccinated. Then she had to wait a long, long time in a long, long line to get vaccinated so she could go to school.

My oldest is only four, but I am thinking she will attend public school in a couple years. We select/delay vaccinate. Will this choice keep her from attending public school?

You will more than likely either have to a) bring her current to all their requirements (which I think are an OUTRAGEOUS amount of vaxes) or b) get an exemption and continue on what ever schedule you like.

I hate that commercial because they make it sound like you have ZERO options.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#365 of 372 Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 AM

Don't you love brainwashing! Yah, explain to me why my 1 day old needs a Hep B vaccine??? That's absurd, really, in our situation as we aren't infected.

If you're public schooling and don't want to play catch-up with the vaccines then you can fill out a form and they can still go to school without them, atleast now. I'm not sure what all they've put into this medical bill they're trying to pass...the little I do know is scary and I wouldn't be suprised if they added vaccines regardless of parental consent.
#366 of 372 Old 08-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:

No, fill out the form.. I also was given one once from one of my ds' docs- which he filled out for me.. (that particular son has a seizure disorder so we stopped vaxing him entirely..) unfortunately that doc was at ANMC, and he isn't there anymore.

My kids are generally up to date by age 5, though.. I don't vax really until age 2 or so, and then I slowly start adding them.. I thought it might freak them out to do it that way, but nope.

None of my kids have had chicken pox vaccine, though, and I am kind of miffed about that one.. My oldest ds got sent home from school for a couple of weeks for having chicken pox, but I doubt there is any documentation to that effect.. even though the school nurse was the one that sent him home.. so why in the world would he need the vax? Also, my youngest at that time, got it as well- he was a toddler- no medical docs about that either (I took him to the ped but he said, it looked like the spots MIGHT have been pox, but by that time.. no really sure : ).. my current youngest two have not had pox though.. I wish they had maybe I could figure out how to document all of them...
#367 of 372 Old 08-01-2009, 04:14 AM

Organic meats..... where are they available in the valley (or Anchorage even)? I've seen some ground beef and whole chickens at FredMeyer... but where else? What about the big stock up places (mat valley meats and mr prime beef), do they carry stuff like that?

I'm so torn on the swine flu vaccine... a big part of me says no way since it's new and who knows what long term side effects there may be.... but my dd was born with a heart defect that's repaired now so I know it's especially important for her and myself and DH to not get swine flu (important for everyone but even more so given the circumstances, you know?). I'm sure we'll be given priority too if there's any kind of shortage or priority list deal. There just are so many unknowns with the swine flu and with the vaccine. At least there's time to decide. I'm enjoying hearing all of your perspectives, facts, etc.

Becky
#368 of 372 Old 08-01-2009, 04:23 AM

Chicken Pox - So yesterday I had a meeting with a guy who just got back from vacation in New Zealand. He was nervous he wouldn't get home because a few days before their flight his daughter starts getting sick. He's afraid its flu and the airline won't let them fly. The day of the flight she breaks out into a rash - at least that isn't the flu. So they fly home, he takes her to the doc. Doc takes one look at her and kicks them out of the office - she has chicken pox. (Go home before you infect others, I have 3 pregnant women in today.) She's 16. He was shocked she hadn't had it already. He was concerned about meeting with me since I'm pg. I told it was only a concern if I had not had it as a child. I wish I could have brought my son and got him some germs... but it would not have gone well. The meeting was about mass prophylaxis for flu and infection reduction - so probably inappropriate in his eyes - at least not a good career move.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#369 of 372 Old 08-01-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmommyak View Post
Organic meats..... where are they available in the valley (or Anchorage even)? I've seen some ground beef and whole chickens at FredMeyer... but where else? What about the big stock up places (mat valley meats and mr prime beef), do they carry stuff like that?

I'm so torn on the swine flu vaccine... a big part of me says no way since it's new and who knows what long term side effects there may be.... but my dd was born with a heart defect that's repaired now so I know it's especially important for her and myself and DH to not get swine flu (important for everyone but even more so given the circumstances, you know?). I'm sure we'll be given priority too if there's any kind of shortage or priority list deal. There just are so many unknowns with the swine flu and with the vaccine. At least there's time to decide. I'm enjoying hearing all of your perspectives, facts, etc.
We get all of our meat from mat-valley meats. They used to do half cows of the natural beef, but they don't really do that anymore So I pick and choose what I want from their natural selection, and then I also buy the buffalo packs, since they are naturally organic (not in need of growth hormones, or antibiotics and range fed).

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#370 of 372 Old 08-01-2009, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

We started out vaxing on schedule but we also move A LOT! 3 states, 4 kids, back and forth, and back again.......you can just imagine what a mess our records have been. I'm pretty sure that our first 3 kids were 100% vaccinated. #4 is select vaxed.
I also know that 2 of my children got Chicken Pox for real but they did not go to the doc or maybe they did? We were in Montana at the time and it was 8 years ago. Still I have no proof of that event and I will NOT, will NOT get them 2 doses of the Chicken POx Vax before they start school this year as per the new regs. My girls go the shot.

Anyway, we just give the schools the Exemption form to avoid a medical disaster! LOL
#371 of 372 Old 08-01-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
We started out vaxing on schedule but we also move A LOT! 3 states, 4 kids, back and forth, and back again.......you can just imagine what a mess our records have been.
After getting a copy of my own records (just the obstetrical stuff) and discovering how many errors were in it (as compared to my own charting records, which I'm pretty careful about), I decided to never rely on doctors records again. I keep my own records of what vaxes my kids get and when. Any provider who asks me I smile and say "we do our own schedule" and then ignore their tales of woe and danger for being 'behind' or whatever. I fill in my own little card, and they can write whatever they like on their records, I know what's been done and what hasn't.

#372 of 372 Old 08-01-2009, 12:55 PM

new thread, new thread, la la la la laaaaa la!

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...php?p=14172855

(incidentally, on the whole vax ads that bug me thing...I hate the "one less" campaign for guardasil. Not only because of what it is advertising for, but because proper grammer would be "one fewer"...I mean, if you want to appeal to me as an intelligent person, at least get your grammer straight, you know?!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page