ALASKA CHAT for JULY! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 372 Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Did you really have 69 chickens? (your siggy says 69..) If you ate one, does that mean you have 68 now?
I fixed my siggy. We now have 68 chickens LOL!
FYI, 21 of them are soon to be layers.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#122 of 372 Old 07-13-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
Where do you buy their school clothes? I was perusing Land's End's uniform stuff, but maaaan, $25-$30 for one pair of pants my 6 y/o is likely to either grow out of in a month or rip a hole in... ouch!

He'll be in 1st grade there this fall. He went from March-May last year; long story short, we homeschooled the majority of the year and then put him in right before spring break.

On another note, why didn't someone tell me that making yogurt is such a cinch? And here I'd been so intimidated...
I know this comment wasn't for me, but..

I bought my sons some slacks at Sears last year right before school started for about $5 a pair. They are the heavier type- not dockers and not dickies, but somewhere inbetween. They were plain and for uniform type schools. I think they had khaki, a darker tan, navy and black. There was a huge round of them. They also have plain polo shirts. I know Sears CARRIES lands end, but I don't think they were that brand. Junior Towne also sells uniforms, I think they are usually pretty pricey, but may end up cheaper than the Lands End catalog if the Sears thing doesn't pan out for you.

FWIW, my kids aren't in Charter schools- although I did consider it for a couple of them that needed something MORE.. but I have found programs that are a good fit for each of those kids so far, so we are pleased.

I AM picky about what my kids wear to school, though- just in general.. nothing with violent images, no sweat pants except for athletics, etc. I think it makes a difference for them.

Did you use a yogurt maker? I used to have a glass yogurt maker with six seperate containers inside, but it got left behind during a move somewhere? I would like a new one..

not sure if Anchorage's Target carries these, but

http://www.target.com/School-Uniform...?node=12914011

Sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_1...orms?adCell=WF

JCPenney

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/x5.aspx...Id=42249|42449

I didn't see any SUPER good deals there yet, but I often find things are individually cheaper if you go to the actual stores rather than trying to find an online deal- but all those prices are less than Lands End.
#123 of 372 Old 07-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
I am sooooo excited! we finally (after a year of trying!) figured out DD's food allergy! We had it narrowed down to something that seemed to be in processed food and just figured out that it is Red Dye! Nasty stuff causes excema all over her little legs and arms, it is so good to know finally.

Penelope, if W is interested I have a molasses cornmeal bread recipe that my DH absolutely loves, I could pass it along.

We are raising turkeys again this summer and are having a rough time this summer, the place we order them from sent 15 and only 8 survived (we think they got left overnight somewhere cold in Anchorage) Then, the Great Horned Owls we have living right next to us got two of them before we knew they were there. Made for some great viewing after we figured it out, they came every night at 9:30 or so for a long time (until I covered the whole pen with netting...). Another died when we were gone on vacation, so now we are down to 5

I love raising turkeys, they seem smarter than the chickens I have done before and their little noises are so cute! Last year I kept track of the costs and they were $1 a pound, and it is nice not having to worry about how to keep them over the winter.
I'm thinking of trying the turkey thing next year...I just hate the thought of cutting down trees to make more room for a pen, but it looks like that might happen anyway when we re-do our septic. :/

I'm glad to hear you figured out the allergy issue! What a relief for you and your sweet Dd!

We'd love your molasses cornmeal recipe. It's been too hot out here, we're not outside as much as we were at the beginning of the summer, but we're trying to get used to 90F. Bleargh. Maybe we'll see you riding by again soon and you and the kids can come play on the swingset!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#124 of 372 Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 PM

Hey, I just saw on adn that Lion King tickets are half off (limited time I think)!

Who was asking about those?
#125 of 372 Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 PM

Oooh, Pinoikoi, thanks! I never think to go to Sears, and I should! They have that kid's club where you can bring things back if they get worn out before grown out, too... I'll check those links as well.

I just heated the milk in a makeshift double boiler, using these instructions. I poured it into a thermos instead of leaving it in the pan, since I don't have a programmable electric blanket. I've also heard of doing it in a cooler with warm bottles of water/towels...?

I heard about the Lion King tickets, too! Half off for the Tues-Thurs shows, and Sunday evening. One week special, I think it was. Pretty cool! Wish I hadn't already gotten tickets. <Shrug>
#126 of 372 Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Oooh, Pinoikoi, thanks! I never think to go to Sears, and I should! They have that kid's club where you can bring things back if they get worn out before grown out, too... I'll check those links as well.

I just heated the milk in a makeshift double boiler, using these instructions. I poured it into a thermos instead of leaving it in the pan, since I don't have a programmable electric blanket. I've also heard of doing it in a cooler with warm bottles of water/towels...?
hmm.. interesting, but I was actually hoping you would so, Oh! PK! I got one of those glass yogurt makers at ..... and it was such a steal! Alas, I have found that sometimes AK STINKS when it comes to finding good deals on gourmet kitchen items.. I have lucked out finding pampered chef stoneware and Romertopf clay bakers a few times at thrift stores, but beyond that I never find great deals on gourmet cookware... I would love to find a new glass yogurt maker on clearance somewhere.. alas, a girl can dream.

I don't live too far from Northern Lts, so Sears is always one of the "first stops" for me when I am shopping for clothing.. one of the few places that has maternity, and I find nice bras on clearance there sometimes REALLY cheap.. it is quite comical really.. me, dp, and four little boys amuck in lingerie..
#127 of 372 Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=akwifeandmomma;14078934]QUOTE]
Your sneaky hehe

#128 of 372 Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey, Tammy, your kids go to Rilke Schule, right?

Where do you buy their school clothes? I was perusing Land's End's uniform stuff, but maaaan, $25-$30 for one pair of pants my 6 y/o is likely to either grow out of in a month or rip a hole in... ouch!

He'll be in 1st grade there this fall. He went from March-May last year; long story short, we homeschooled the majority of the year and then put him in right before spring break.

On another note, why didn't someone tell me that making yogurt is such a cinch? And here I'd been so intimidated...

Oh! And on a foul note (I crack myself up. Ahem.) I have friend here in Anch who has 6 chickens in her yard - off Dowling, not hillside or on a lot of land or anything. She's getting 3-4 eggs a day now (I think?) and plans to butcher them come fall, too expensive to winter them. I wish they'd lay enough for me to help support the cause! Anyone know where to get fresh eggs in Anchorage? Someone PM'd me last year with a name/address, but I never did hook up with the gal.

For school clothes we bought from Land's End and French Toast.
FT has good prices and decent clothes. My boy is HARD on clothes and all his FT pants are still okay to wear this next year.
You can catch sales with them too!

If my son was not so big, I would have lots of handmedowns...
I do have some vest sweaters and a blazer. What size is your boy? My son will be in 3rd but my DD is in 1st! Oh, another thing is that Rilke Schule has lightly used Uniforms at the school you can buy for like $1 and $2 per piece. You will have to check with the Logo Shop or with a women named Tallee.

The Uniform code is not as strict as it seems to be when it is your first year. You can find stuff at Walmart and Target too. You will get the hang of it,

You can sometimes find Fresh Eggs at Alaska Mill and Feed.

Your friend has Chickens in her yard? Does she have a chicken coop? Curious to know more! I heard that you cannot have chickens in Anchorage.
#129 of 372 Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Hey, Tammy, your kids go to Rilke Schule, right?

Did you check Lands End overstocks? They often have really good deals on there and I saw uniform stuff in the girls section just a month ago when I was browsing. Of course, in the overstocks you might not find his size, but it is worth looking at.
#130 of 372 Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

Your friend has Chickens in her yard? Does she have a chicken coop? Curious to know more! I heard that you cannot have chickens in Anchorage.
I think the requirement in Anchorage is the amount of footage of the lot.. in order to "legally" have chickens.. but I know a couple of people that have them anyway.. and actually there was an article in the adn this past year or so about Anchorage's chickens.. apparently there is a group?

I would think the only complaints would be about "loose chickens" or noise if someone had a rooster, other than that, I am not sure why anyone would really care unless someone had a HOA or something..
#131 of 372 Old 07-14-2009, 01:54 PM

Tammy,

I'll check French Toast - I've never shopped there before. He's moving into size 8 for both shirts and pants. He's tall and lanky but solid.

I picked up most of his school clothes for last year at Fred Meyer, but he had a major growth spurt and his pants are all too short now. My mom picked up several polos for him at the BX on EAFB, I might check out there again. They were good quality and really inexpensive... we only bought a few pieces last year since he only went to school for a couple of months. Good thing since he shot up a few inches in the last couple of months!

I wonder if my DS, Noah, knows your DD? Was she in K last year? Last quarter he had Herr Helgesen in the AM, Frau Claudia afternoons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
She does. They built a wood enclosure with styrofoam insulation on the outside, which she wouldn't recommend - the chickens destroyed it. She lets them roam on about half her yard most of the day. I doubt she even checked into legality, she's a farm girl from WA and probably wouldn't have even thought twice about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Did you check Lands End overstocks? They often have really good deals on there and I saw uniform stuff in the girls section just a month ago when I was browsing. Of course, in the overstocks you might not find his size, but it is worth looking at.
I'll check! Thanks.
#132 of 372 Old 07-14-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I think the requirement in Anchorage is the amount of footage of the lot.. in order to "legally" have chickens.. but I know a couple of people that have them anyway.. and actually there was an article in the adn this past year or so about Anchorage's chickens.. apparently there is a group?

I would think the only complaints would be about "loose chickens" or noise if someone had a rooster, other than that, I am not sure why anyone would really care unless someone had a HOA or something..
THere is a group, backyard collation or something like that. I ran into a lady when I worked at the Mill and Feed but did not get any contact into and have not found much online about it.

I do know that the city ordinance states something to the effect... you must have 100 feet on all sides of the coop from any building or property line.....
which basically rules out 95% of lots in Anchorage.

I would LOVE to have a few chickens but my yard is no where big enough to meet the requirements but I could put them on the back fence which would give me over 100 feet from any building (house) just not from my property line.
#133 of 372 Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Tammy,

I'll check French Toast - I've never shopped there before. He's moving into size 8 for both shirts and pants. He's tall and lanky but solid.

My son was in a 10 last year.

I picked up most of his school clothes for last year at Fred Meyer, but he had a major growth spurt and his pants are all too short now. My mom picked up several polos for him at the BX on EAFB, I might check out there again. They were good quality and really inexpensive... we only bought a few pieces last year since he only went to school for a couple of months. Good thing since he shot up a few inches in the last couple of months!

ooh, good thinking!

I wonder if my DS, Noah, knows your DD? Was she in K last year? Last quarter he had Herr Helgesen in the AM, Frau Claudia afternoons...

I think Lessley knows who Noah is.

She does. They built a wood enclosure with styrofoam insulation on the outside, which she wouldn't recommend - the chickens destroyed it. She lets them roam on about half her yard most of the day. I doubt she even checked into legality, she's a farm girl from WA and probably wouldn't have even thought twice about it!

yeah coming from Delta and Fairbanks, it was one of those things you dont really think about. "What, you have rules here?" LOL
#134 of 372 Old 07-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Okay, a couple of things:

LION KING: The ADN had a micro article on A-3 today that Lion King tickets are available for 1/2 price on select seats for shows Tues, Wed, Thurs & Sunday for "B tickets." I'm not sure if the B tickets refers to the days or seat locations. But the tickets are regularly $62. Enter the password "Alaska" for online purchases. Tickets must be purchased by midnight Sunday.

SEARS & MATERNITY CLOTHES: I'm not usually a Sears shopper. Nothing against Sears, I just hate shopping for clothes in any store, but I was in Sears yesterday buying a dishwasher (YEAH!!) and saw their maternity clothes were on sale. Most of it was 50% off. Plus they had maternity jeans which I could find anywhere except Value Village. I got a pair for $18. But their sizing is weird - a large pair fell off of me and a XL pair fit perfect, if not a touch big - but I'll grow into them I'm sure.

MICE!!! - Yesterday DH & I discovered that we apparently have mice living underneath our kitchen cabinet. The cabinets are the original to the house (1952 built) metal cabinets. Apparently they use the holes for the water pipes to come & go. We are doing some re-plumbing and that is really the only reason I noticed how bad it might be - back by the pipes it smells like mice. The odd but good thing is they seem to be happy where they are at and don't leave the area. They don't even eat my onions, potatoes or sweet potatoes I keep in the cabinet. We are going to cut a big hole in the sheet metal on the bottom of the cabinet so clear out any nest remains, turds etc. But I need to repel them. Maybe they've been living down there for 50+ years... We are also going to put rigid foam insulation under the cabinet to fill the void space and then put in a new cabinet "floor" with holes just big enough for the new pipes. I do have a cat and that is probably why they don't leave the cabinet. I've only seen other signs of mice at freeze-up when they are probably attracted to the warm house.

Since it is in my kitchen and in close proximity to some food I really don't want to use any poison - plus I have a toddler. I've read that lavender EO & peppermint EO can both help repel mice. I've had "Fresh Cab" recommended to me - it is a botanical rodent repellent - but it is $13 on Amazon with $10 shipping. Setting traps won't work either once I re-cover the area since I won't be able to remove them. Does anybody have other suggestions?

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#135 of 372 Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
SEARS & MATERNITY CLOTHES: I'm not usually a Sears shopper. Nothing against Sears, I just hate shopping for clothes in any store, but I was in Sears yesterday buying a dishwasher (YEAH!!) and saw their maternity clothes were on sale. Most of it was 50% off. Plus they had maternity jeans which I could find anywhere except Value Village. I got a pair for $18. But their sizing is weird - a large pair fell off of me and a XL pair fit perfect, if not a touch big - but I'll grow into them I'm sure.

MICE!!! -
Well, I don't need maternity clothes right now.. But when Sears has a clearance sale, I usually can find some good deals there.. I went through my older sons' closet yesterday and today, and moved out their too small stuff, and got the bigger sizes out of storage, so.. hopefully I have a better idea of what they will need for school.. My 11yo is a tough fit.. he wears a 14 for length but a 12 for waist.. and adjustable waists usually get pricier.. thankfully we had a few handmedowns in 14 stored, and ready for him so that will help some..

Last time I was in Sears, I saw they had purple polos in maternity.. that is my union color shirt, so I was planning on needing one.. I might go pick one up this week, hopefully I will need it before the end of the year at least!

Was it just maternity on sale, or sales all over the store? I know we will need some new school shoes and things soon.

We used to rent a 50yo house, and it (unbeknownst to us) also had a mouse problem- but they mainly stayed in the attic, cabinets, and crawl space- so we rarely saw them... until spring one year when i tipped a bucket that had been sitting under an outdoor faucet, and shrieked as the dead mouse came tumbling out.. mice and water apparently don't mix... probably not the most humane way to get rid of them, though.
#136 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 AM

Good luck w the mice! We had a shrew problem last year (who in the Interior DIDN'T?) and Dh was setting peanut-butter laden traps all summer. Nasty.

This year we've been dealing (again) with carpenter ants, but worse than in previous years. I read a thread in Natural Home or something about using corn meal to make their little bellies explode, and tried it. It worked!!!

We're totally smoked in here in the Interior, and we could use some rain. :/

BUt my broccoli finally have heads, which is awesome.

love, boring P

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#137 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Good luck w the mice! We had a shrew problem last year (who in the Interior DIDN'T?) and Dh was setting peanut-butter laden traps all summer. Nasty.

This year we've been dealing (again) with carpenter ants, but worse than in previous years. I read a thread in Natural Home or something about using corn meal to make their little bellies explode, and tried it. It worked!!!

love, boring P
Our house has a serious carpenter ant problem, and we are at the point of ripping apart our house what exactly did you do with the corn meal and how did you know if worked? Did you see bodies, have fewer around? I would do anything to avoid ripping our roof off!

Congrats on the broccoli! We didn't plant any this year, but have peas already, I think it's the earliest ever. Are you going to be home tomorrow night? Kiddos and I may be out for a ride.

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#138 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 AM

I heard rain for tonight and tomorrow. Here's hoping! This smoke is nasty.

Our neighbors gave us a pot with broccoli in it. It wasn't doing well in the pot so they told us we could put it in our garden plot. When DH went to transplant it, he found 15 plantsin this small pot! I'm guessing they had never grown broccoli before!

We have zucchini, broccoli coming up, onions, pie pumpkins and a jack o lantern and the ever present rhubarb so far.

Jenn
#139 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post

love, boring P

Our broccoli went to head, got to be about a 1/2 dollar then grew toward the sky and started to flower??

My plants are like 3 feet tall, is that normal for broc?
#140 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 05:15 AM

My broccoli got a bigger (but not as big as I would consider normal) and some started to flower. It also wasn't a tight head. But it sure is tasty! All of the "loose" head broccoli is stuff I got from a nursery, the ones I started from seed are getting their first heads and look much tighter so far. My plants are about 3 feet tall too. No idea if it's normal or not since this is my first year trying to grow it.

Do any of you have suggestions for something to clean my tub that isn't harsh and fumey? We're on well water and we have a water filter on all of our water but it still turns the white sinks and tubs yellowish over time.

Those of you growing pumpkins... how early did you start them? And what's the trick with growing pumpkins? I thought they didn't grow well here so I didn't even try. And have any of you successfully grown garlic? I'd love to grow some but am relunctant to try since I've heard you can't grow it here.

Becky
#141 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 AM

Has anyone tried the mat valley meat place? (for one of their big package deals) Is there any place else locally you'd recommend instead?

Ok, off to bed.... I want to get up early enough to go to the farm market when it first opens tomorrow!

Becky
#142 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Sounds like the summer was too hot and dry for your local growing conditions for broccoli.

I start most of my pumpkins about May 1st, though this year I had a bunch of volunteers from the compost pile and they are doing just fine (they popped up at the beginning of June).

Garlic has to be overwintered to head up. So you buy certified seed cloves from Fillaree Farms down in the states and plant them in September, and insulate them so they have a chance of making it.

We have so many strawberries this year that I might just have to make some freezer jam. And I can't believe its time for currants/raspberries already!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#143 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
Our house has a serious carpenter ant problem, and we are at the point of ripping apart our house what exactly did you do with the corn meal and how did you know if worked? Did you see bodies, have fewer around? I would do anything to avoid ripping our roof off!.
I don't know if it's the same thing, but here in Vegas we have ant problems off and on and we mix 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp Borax, put it on cotton balls and put the cotton balls where the ants are coming in. We also found their nests outside and put a few out there. As far as knowing it worked, well, we see some dead ones, but mostly it is that they stop coming in.
#144 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmommyak View Post
Do any of you have suggestions for something to clean my tub that isn't harsh and fumey? We're on well water and we have a water filter on all of our water but it still turns the white sinks and tubs yellowish over time.

Biokleen makes a soy toilet cleaner scrub that is minty and smells wonderful and works well on all sorts on interesting bathroom stains. It cleaned water stains off my toilet that the regular bleach toilet cleaners couldn't get. I bought mine at Fred Meyer.
#145 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Damp Baking soda and a green scrubbie.
I threw out all chemical cleaners last year, in favor of baking soda and vinegar and tea tree oil.
They work way better, and are better for other reasons as well.

#146 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Has anyone tried the mat valley meat place? (for one of their big package deals) Is there any place else locally you'd recommend instead?

Ok, off to bed.... I want to get up early enough to go to the farm market when it first opens tomorrow!
Mat Valley Meats comes highly recommended.
You can get all grass fed if you want.
They are family friends of ours as well
Make sure you ask for allt he bones and fat for making bone broths and lard.
They will do it all.

#147 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 05:54 PM

mamatoni, For the ants, I opened a box of cornmeal and spread a line of it around my doors, the walls where I knew they were living, the garden boxes, etc. Then we went camping and haven't seen more than 1 ant since we got home (and it was outside). They had chewed a hole through to our sunroom roof (which is also the deck) and were coming out of there. no ants since I put down the cornmeal. I'm hoping it continues to work. What a cheap and clean solution!

love, p

#148 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 11:33 PM

That was me about the cornmeal. It's so great that I tout it when ever ants come up!
#149 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Mat Valley Meats comes highly recommended.
You can get all grass fed if you want.
They are family friends of ours as well
Make sure you ask for allt he bones and fat for making bone broths and lard.
They will do it all.
In Anchorage, we went to Mr. Prime Beef last fall. I am not much of a steak eater under normal circumstances, but theirs was incredible. I will be ordering from them again when I get some more $$.. I can't remember which package we ordered, but it had quite a bit of pork also..

http://www.mrprimebeef.com/shop/

they also ship to rural Alaska.
#150 of 372 Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Damp Baking soda and a green scrubbie.
I threw out all chemical cleaners last year, in favor of baking soda and vinegar and tea tree oil.
They work way better, and are better for other reasons as well.
Where do people find tea tree oil? I don't know that I would even recognize it if I saw it..

I have been using baking soda quite a lot for most things..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page