ALASKA CHAT for JULY! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 372 Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you believe it is July already? I saw a lot of fireweed in bloom this morning on my way to a birth!

Lucky #3 for me!! whoo Hooo!
#2 of 372 Old 07-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Woohoo! I'm actually on top of things enough to subscribe to the new thread before the end of the month ::

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#3 of 372 Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 PM

is it july already? we got such a late start this year i feel like it should be the middle of June not july!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#4 of 372 Old 07-01-2009, 10:56 PM

Ah it's really very hot out today. I mowed the yard and pulled some weeds but phew...time for some lemonade.

The lupines and the bleeding hearts are out in force. Not too colorful yet, though.
#5 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 AM

i love summer.

Katie
#6 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 02:54 AM

I got my letter from Denali Kid Care today! I'm APPROVED!!!!

:::::::::: ::::

From what I've heard, they cover pretty much everything at the birth center except the childbirth class. I'm so excited. I was pretty scared looking at our bank account hoping we had enough to pay out of pocket, and now we don't have to worry! We can buy food and fun things like that instead! (haha)

Oh Alaska, how I love you!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#7 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 05:21 AM

Heeheee congratulations Dislocator. I got reminded that I need to reapply the other day when I had to take my Olivia to the ER. Have fun buying food and other happy things like that lol.
#8 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Hello fellow Alaskans! I've joined MDC almost 3 years ago and have posted in about that long! I thought I'd finally get back on here! I live in Wasilla with my husband and newly turned 3 year old daughter!

Kate
#9 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post

From what I've heard, they cover pretty much everything at the birth center except the childbirth class. I'm so excited. I was pretty scared looking at our bank account hoping we had enough to pay out of pocket, and now we don't have to worry! We can buy food and fun things like that instead! (haha)

Good for you! Yes, DKC covers just about everything you can think of... I have to admit, being so old w/ so many kids, a childbirth class never entered my thinking!

I hope you're settling well here.

We still haven't been to the Farmers' Market this year. Honestly, I want to cry seeing the prices. It makes me so sad that tomatoes there are $6/lb, and at Fred's they're $1.98/lb. I don't want to be a box-store mama, but damn...I have a lot of very quickly growing mouths to feed. :/

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#10 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post

We still haven't been to the Farmers' Market this year. Honestly, I want to cry seeing the prices. It makes me so sad that tomatoes there are $6/lb, and at Fred's they're $1.98/lb. I don't want to be a box-store mama, but damn...I have a lot of very quickly growing mouths to feed. :/
this is where my WIC checks come in. support local food and not have to worry that it's costing me an arm and a leg.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#11 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:

That is awesome! I'm curious how long ago you applied. We applied back in early May and I received a letter within a week saying they had received the application and nothing since. *sigh*

#12 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 PM

Our DKC expired on April 30, and on May 1 they started a new policy where you only renew once a year :. Of course we didn't know that since we never got anything in the mail, and now we have a $950 allergist bill and another $150 doctor bill We filled out the renewal form and sent it in and haven't heard a word in two months.

CPST & mom

#13 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Our DKC expired on April 30, and on May 1 they started a new policy where you only renew once a year :. Of course we didn't know that since we never got anything in the mail, and now we have a $950 allergist bill and another $150 doctor bill We filled out the renewal form and sent it in and haven't heard a word in two months.
Grrrrrrr!

My post prompted me to try and call them again. I've already left 3 unanswered voice mails, so I refused to leave a message and sat on hold. A total of 12 minutes on hold, then if FORCED me to voice mail. I left a somewhat nasty voicemail, that this was my FORTH attempt to speak to somebody there about my case.... and that I was beyond ticked that after sitting on hold for 12 minutes that it sent me to voicemail anyway... grrrrr! I freaking hate agencies like this! I wish I had the money to continue to pay for my kiddos care out of pocket... but I just don't.

#14 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 09:40 PM

Subbing.
#15 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
That is awesome! I'm curious how long ago you applied. We applied back in early May and I received a letter within a week saying they had received the application and nothing since. *sigh*
We actually just applied at the beginning of June. I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone either, but somehow our stuff got sent through pretty quickly. Maybe this means that yours has been processed but your letter 'got lost'? Did the automated thing give you any help?

I only knew that something had changed with my account because my status on the automated deal went from 'pended' to 'open'. Neither of which leads me to believe we're paying, you can relax now. But my letters have come REALLY quickly. Yours must just be lost don't you think?

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#16 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
We actually just applied at the beginning of June. I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone either, but somehow our stuff got sent through pretty quickly. Maybe this means that yours has been processed but your letter 'got lost'? Did the automated thing give you any help?

I only knew that something had changed with my account because my status on the automated deal went from 'pended' to 'open'. Neither of which leads me to believe we're paying, you can relax now. But my letters have come REALLY quickly. Yours must just be lost don't you think?
All it says on the automated line is that my application has been received. That's it... nothing else.

#17 of 372 Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
All it says on the automated line is that my application has been received. That's it... nothing else.
That's so strange! The billing person has mentioned how frustrating DKC can be, so we were honestly expecting a lot worse.

I'll send you any good vibes I can! :

#18 of 372 Old 07-03-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Karen,

If you fall w/in the DKC guidelines, just relax because they're about a year behind on their application process. Seriously. Brad calls regularly and was just informed about their new yearly process. OTOH, we know our contact, and also the person above that contact's, names, so we can ask for who we want.

If you don't have a contact person, i don't know what to do. Keep calling, and try for really early mornings, because they get swamped fast.

PS, if E has ANY issues that necessitate going to a physician or HCP *now,* call and leave that as a message. Let them know you need to know what's covered to plan for her health care (strategically). They really are good about taking those things seriously. When our E had to have his cardiology appt in Anch, they got right on figuring our our eligibility (again), and even though they completely farked up about our reservations in ANch, they did quickly provide confirmation numbers for health care and meals.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#19 of 372 Old 07-03-2009, 02:32 AM

Hi everyone! I had to pipe up because we're waiting on DKC to come through too. We sent our application in about a month ago and haven't heard anything beyond the pending letter. I've left a couple of messages but no reply.. Our issue is that the youngest DD got a nasty cut on her face back in May that we went to the E.R. about and it was then that I remembered that I'd let the DKC lapse unrenewed. DOH! So now we've got about $600 worth of ER bills that are verging on collections.. I hope it won't take a year to come through! We won't be able to put off paying them that long I think.... the hospital gave us another month to wait but I don't know how long they will continue to do that.
Dislocator- Hi and welcome! I'm more of a lurker than a poster around here but I still like to check in and see how everyone is doing. I bet your application was rushed through because you are pregnant.. I think they give priority to the moms to be.

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#20 of 372 Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 AM

stephanie,

Could you try going back through your old DKC stuff and finding a contact person, a number, anything?

It might speed things up.

#21 of 372 Old 07-03-2009, 04:16 AM

P, she doesn't have anything earth shattering that needs to be done right now. She's about 6 months late on her annual allergy testing though (been putting it off because it's so damn expensive and we have to pay for it out of pocket).

As sad as it is... at least it's encouraging to know that I'm not the only one getting stiffed by the DKC office. I've got half a mind to call the ombudsman's office and complain about the way they appear to NEVER return phone calls to anyone.

#22 of 372 Old 07-03-2009, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had to go back and forth with the kidcare office 4 or 5 times before they felt satisfied with my income documentation, but since then, they've been great. (Everyone here travels for prenatal exams, giving birth, etc... and they're always quick about doing travel and such)
#23 of 372 Old 07-03-2009, 05:51 AM

It will be interesting to see if our application gets processed any faster after DS is born!

CPST & mom

#24 of 372 Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
this is where my WIC checks come in. support local food and not have to worry that it's costing me an arm and a leg.
Unfortunately that is part of the problem! WIC checks are a set amount and you cannot get change, so it is easier for the vendor to just charge exactly what the check amount is for. ie: $5 bunch of carrots. $5 bag of potatoes. cucumbers $1 each.
But you gotta love WIC, we spent ours at the farmer's market every year we got them!

I about pooped myself when I saw Toms running $6 per pound! Holy Heck! Are they even organic?

But we did score some of those D E L I C I O U S vanilla rolls and an Almond Cake from the Honey Bakery when we were there. Finally finished the cake tonight with dinner. Ah, I will miss you lovely almond cake! I wonder if she delivers?

We had a great time in Fairbanks on Solstice! It rained LOTS and we were in a tent trailer but it was still awesome and my DD was in the Midnight Sun run. I think someday I will have to get brave and just do it. I see most people walk anyway. Maybe next year we can remember to have her dress up!

How are the housing prices in Fairbanks? Still about the same as it was 2 years ago?
#25 of 372 Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
How are the housing prices in Fairbanks? Still about the same as it was 2 years ago?
I have no idea how they were 2 years ago, but rental unit seem pretty pricey to me. At least in comparison to where we were.

And here every single landlord asked several times how many people were going to be living in the unit. All of them seemed very concerned that we would try to cram more people in than were allowed. So maybe that happens a lot??

#26 of 372 Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 PM

Hi, I'm sorry, but we are not hosting News and Current events or Politics in FYT.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6#post13041436

Thank you for your cooperation

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#27 of 372 Old 07-04-2009, 02:39 AM

I am loving the heat for once. I worked last night and slept all day, and I woke up a hot sticky sweaty mess, but it's so gorgeous outside :. The kids went "swimming" at the river and came home nekkid and very tired.

CPST & mom

#28 of 372 Old 07-04-2009, 03:44 AM

I'm still adjusting to the much cooler temps of the valley during the summers. I REALLY miss the Fairbanks heat. Summer just doesn't feel like summer without the weeks in the 80s and those occasional 90-100s. But I will NOT complain about the weather we've had here this year, how ever chilly it may still feel. It's a million times better than last summer!

#29 of 372 Old 07-04-2009, 04:26 AM

Happy Almost 4th everyone!

Anyone in Anchorage going to see the parade? I'm trying to convince DH to do something fun... all he's focused on is going fishing on sunday.

and in other news, I was just at the library and saw the signs about how they will be closed on weekends and mondays for the rest of the summer due to budget cuts!? I know I usually live under a rock, but I was really surprised by that. That really stinks.

anyway. hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend!
#30 of 372 Old 07-04-2009, 04:51 AM

Wow weekends? Why not Mon.-Wed. instead? What about those who can only get there on the weekends?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page