Anchorage VBAC climate & doulaing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are considering a move back to Anchorage after two years Outside. We lived there for 5 years last time. Unfortunately, in those 2 years I ended up with a c-section due to an intervention happy doctor and my own ignorance. Dh is deadset againt homebirth and is even pretty opposed to a birth center unless it is attached to a hospital. According to ICAN, both Prov and Regional allow vbacs but can anyone tell me how friendly they are and/or any of their policies?

I am also preparing for doula training and would be interested in possibly forming a partnership baring, of course, huge philosophical birth differences. I am hoping to make doulaing (both birth and pp) my "job." Is that something that would be possible in Anchorage or the Mat-Su?

Not having children at the time I was not involved in the birth or breastfeeding communities at all so in some ways, if we move back, this will be a whole new community for me!

A, WOHM hoping to be a SAHM married to E (7/7/01), mama to R :: (2/8/08) : : hopeful for ::
#2 of 9 Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 PM

Some of the other ladies can tell you how VBAC friendly they are but I just wanted to say welcome back. There is a DONA International Doula Training in October. I'm the DONA State Representative and we also have other doulas here. There's a very active birthing community down there so you will be joining good company.
#3 of 9 Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yay! I was thinking I might have to go to Seattle for the workshop portion! That's great news! The move is not a done deal by far as we are exploring several options but Alaska is by far the most attractive of those right now. I was soooo excited to leave but find I miss more things that I struggles with, KWIM?

A, WOHM hoping to be a SAHM married to E (7/7/01), mama to R :: (2/8/08) : : hopeful for ::
#4 of 9 Old 07-13-2009, 03:59 PM

As far as the VBAC community, I am not sure.. there was a doctor that had some huge issues with license renewal or revocation or something along those lines in Anchorage a couple of years ago because of VBAC.. like she supported VBAC TOO much or something? I am sure someone else knows more on that..
#5 of 9 Old 07-13-2009, 04:55 PM

I am a VBAC momma and a Doula here in Anchorage. I know there are others here on this thread that are also heavily involved in the Birthing Community so hopefully they will chime in there this week.

You cannot have a homebirth or a birthing center birth here in ALaska with our midwives because it is against their regulations. You can however hire a traveling midwife or have an unassisted homebirth.

Still you said you were not interested in a homebirth just yet so you are looking at hospitals. I have not yet attended a VBAC as a doula but I am learning which OB's are VBAC friendly. So far, I can tell you that Dr. Elrod in Wasilla is pro-vbac. I know a lady having her first VBAC with him in the next few days (just waiting! ) so I'll have more info later about her experience.

Both Prov and Regional are VBAC friendly, meaning they do VBACs. But like I said, I have not had a VBAC there, nor have I attended a VBAC birth so I have no hands on experience to offer. Sorry.

I have personally VBACed at Bassett Army Hospital in Fairbanks and they were great.

There is a wonderful Birthing Community here with lots of Doulas and Midwives! We do get together every few months to chat and we network with each other. I have had 4 referrals in the past 3 weeks from fellow Doulas!

Like Georganne, said, there is a DONA workshop coming in October. Maybe we'll see you there?
#6 of 9 Old 07-13-2009, 05:56 PM

My girlfriend has had two VBAC's at Providence. Her Midwife was Barb at Geneva Woods Midwifery. They are backed by Dr. Owen Bell. He is required to be at Prov. the whole time labor is going in case of a rupture. So they only do so many VBAC's a month. But she had amazing births.

We had the same Doula. I LOVE Erin! I think Doula's are awesome! I think the Doula culture up here has a pretty high profile. I've heard about them from the "noncrunchy" crowd. I see advocacy for them around town as well.
#7 of 9 Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know that our move will be that fast but it is a possibility!

#8 of 9 Old 07-14-2009, 01:20 PM

If you miss the one in Oct. there will more then likely be another one in the spring. We normally try to have two a year. I think it's about time for one in Fairbanks but I don't have anyone up here just chomping at the bits to help me with one. So if you move up here, you'll have a chance to help co-sponsor one and get a discount.
#9 of 9 Old 07-16-2009, 03:41 PM

I'm somewhat out of the loop now, but when I was heavily involved in ICAN, Providence was preferred over Regional for "VBAC-friendlieness" picking the right provider is much more important though.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page