Things to do on Oahu - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I am a GA native, but will be spending October and November on Oahu with my husband, as he is being sent there once home from Iraq. While we wait for his arrival, I will have my mother on the island with me.

We will be staying in his house (which he still pays for while deployed so HIS mom has somewhere to live ) So, housing isn't a problem. Also, we have a car.

I will be 30 weeks pregnant when I arrive... I am looking for fun things to do that aren't costly, to show my mom around and entertain her.

There are some obvious places- Pearl Harbor, take her to beaches, long drives, the various bases... I am looking for less touristy things though. I promised my husband to take her to Ted's for some pineapple cheesecake

Any ideas?
Thanks!

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

#2 of 7 Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most of the things listed below are free or inexpensive...

-take her to the Stadium Mall swap meet. They have a lot of neat stalls. I think they're open on Saturday mornings and Wednesday afternoons. Google it to be sure. If you're coming to Pearl Harbor then you could do the Stadium swap meet on the same day since both sites are so close to each other.

-Go to the Nuuanu Pali Lookout and see a panoramic view of the Windward coast. The Pali Lookout is just before the Pali tunnels on the Kailua-bound side.

-Walk through Chinatown. They have noodles factories, Chinese medicine shops, lots of good hole-in-the-wall restaurants. I love Pho To Chau on River Street for great Vietnamese beef noodle soup. It's so good. The owner is a bit like the Soup Nazi on the Seinfeld TV show. But it's part of the charm of eating there. Chinatown is also a good place to get inexpensive souveniers to take back to the Mainland.

-Watch a traditional torch lighting and hula performance on the beach of Waikiki near the Duke Kahanamoku statue at sunset.

-Visit the lei shops on Maunakea Street in Chinatown.

-Go to the Honolulu Academy of Arts. Lots of good things to see there. The last Friday of every month the Academy has Art After Dark from 6pm - 9pm there's cocktails, food, and art. A lot of my friends go to it. It's a nice gathering of people, art, conversation, and food.

-Go to one of the local farmers markets. I like the Kailua Farmers Market on Thursday evenings from 5pm - 7pm at the Kailua Long's parking lot. You could also try the Farmers Market at Kapiolani Community College in town. That market opens Saturday mornings.

-Visit Iolani Palace and see the USA's only royal palace

-Make sure to eat a local plate lunch, shave ice, li hing mui (salty red pickled) snacks, and if she's adventurous have her try poke, sashimi, and poi.
I like the plate lunches at Kakaako Kitchen at the Ward Center shops in town. Ward Center is off Ala Moana Boulevard.

-If you drive around the island be sure to eat at one of the shrimp truck places. The plates are a bit pricey ($10-$11) but it's something so many visitors like to do. We like Giovanni's shrimp truck. I think it's the original shrimp truck. The rest came afterwards. You can't miss Giovanni's truck. It has graffiti and signatures galore from all the visitors.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#3 of 7 Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 AM

There's a Farmer's Market at North Shore too, it's supposed to be pretty good. I always end up missing it, though! :P There's a spot up there that you can see the turtles on the beach, and to get there (at least the way I go) you go past the Dole Plantation as well! There's a pineapple cutting demonstration every hour, with free samples. If you go on up to see the turtles, there's a nifty spot where you can snorkel or just wade-- it's almost directly across from the Foodland. Ko'Olina Lagoons are good, but you have to time it just right-- there's minimal parking.

Angie, proud Army wife to Dan, mom to Kat (4/00) and Gracie (11/09)!!
#4 of 7 Old 08-04-2009, 06:28 PM

Honolulu Academy of Art is fun and the restaurant (reservations for sure) is yummO! I have not been to the Art After Dark there but I have heard good things about it.

First Friday.

Um, laying in the water at the beach (that is all i wanted to do preggo).

Hank's Haute Dogs - yum!

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#5 of 7 Old 10-12-2009, 03:05 AM

Eat tons of shave ice

Hi I'm Elle, a ing mama to my boy, Honeybun
#6 of 7 Old 10-25-2009, 10:02 PM

Teddy's Bigger Burger. They're incredible

Kua'Aina
you can go to the original if you're up by Schofield, it's not too far, up there in Haleiwa.. Amazing burger joint.

Do you see a theme?

I love the drive up by north shore and if you're going to Ted's for pie you'll hit that. If you take the turn in at Foodland Pupukea and go up there's an incredible viewpoint up there..

I say yes to the shrimp trucks as well. Giovanni's is my favorite.

Dole is super touristy.

The North Shore farmers market is money, especially if that Aloha Mama girl is out there with her bar cookies. Good fresh flowers, random stuff and once I even saw a lose horse with no owner in sight It closes relatively early so think Brunch-time. It's at Sunset Elementary school off Kam (same way you're going to Ted's)

Polynesian Cultural Center is doing haunted canoe rides, touristy but kinda cool.

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#7 of 7 Old 10-27-2009, 02:35 AM

Hale'iwa has a farmers market now on Sundays. 9-2 I think.

Going early to Ko'Olina and finding a shady palm (or 2 or 3) and bringing a cooler of food is a great way to spend the day.

What part of the island will you be on?

Oh I loved swimming at Kailua beach when I was pregnant.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page