Alaska chat for August - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 271 Old 08-06-2009, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Well, let me know if they are out.. I bought a box of tests the other day at Fred's.. and I know what life is like when one desperately needs one and doesn't have one..
He brought one home. I tested. I'm awaiting the results and hoping I did it right. The box had one set of instruction on it, which I followed, the insert said something a bit different. The box said use dropper and put two drops on sample spot. The insert said hold downward facing in urine stream. So there is a definite difference in sample quantity between the two set of instructions.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 271 Old 08-06-2009, 02:58 AM

I'm not one to pee on a stick, but now you have me sitting on the edge of my seat.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#63 of 271 Old 08-06-2009, 03:08 AM

The test is negative. I realized as I waited, nursing Sophia, that I'm not making anymore milk. No wonder it has hurt a bit when she nurses. She still nurses about 2 times a day and asks for it before bed. So either the test is wrong and I'm pregnant and lack of breast milk is evidence of pregnancy... or.... no more milk explains why sex is no longer uncomfortable this past month.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#64 of 271 Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Katreena

Whichever way it turns out, we're here to support you.

love, penelope
Amen.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#65 of 271 Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM

Katreena,

sending you some hugs!!!
#66 of 271 Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 AM

I'm looking for info on raw milk, interested in buying a share and getting into a co-op in the Mat-Su, with deliveries in the Anchorage area. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I had an acquaintance in Eagle River who was organizing a new group of co-op'ers, but I've lost her email/contact info...
#67 of 271 Old 08-07-2009, 02:58 AM

I know where to get $50 shares for raw freerange goat milk for $8 a gallon with deliveries to the Valley. Anchorage trips only happen once or twice a month though. Email me for details...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#68 of 271 Old 08-07-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

I just wish that sometimes people would stop messing with nature.
: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Katreena

Whichever way it turns out, we're here to support you.

love, penelope
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Amen.
Thank you.

Quote:
Katreena,

sending you some hugs!!!
Thanks you.

I just can't stop thinking about this. So, my husband was talking with her sister, so she mentions how their cousin, who is younger than both of them, and they're all younger than me, is going through early menopause and that may be what is happening to me (I'm 35). I don't want that!: I really truly have hoped that I would have more babies, just at the right time, like when we have a house, no debt and all that good stuff.

Speaking of debt, we were going through my husband's medical bills this morning, trying to get things organized Yeah. And his other debts, and reapplying for Denali Kid Care for our daughters, and applying for Charity for some of those medical bills.

#69 of 271 Old 08-07-2009, 04:27 PM

So a quick internet research found this:

Quote:
Early Menopause Symptoms
Quote:
Premature menopause symptoms are essentially the same as those of natural menopause. Women commonly suffer from night sweats, hot flashes, insomnia, headaches, and joint or muscle pain. Body shape changes are also common, causing you to put on weight around the abdomen. Additionally, water retention and menopause commonly go together.
Menopausal women can experience emotional ups and downs, including anxiety, depression, cravings, and forgetfulness. All of these symptoms are triggered by the fluctuation of hormones in the body during menopause. In particular, estrogen levels reduce dramatically during the onset of menopause, causing a variety of changes in the body's functions.

Those symptoms I've had all my life, most specifically, my life since first my first pregnancy; headaches, hot all the time, water retention, depression, anxiety, forgetfulness...... all me. This is certainly not anything new. So if I was experiencing early menopause, and these are the symptoms, I wouldn't have confirmation without hormone testing, I suppose.

I really need to stop thinking about this and just wait until my doctor appointment next Friday.

#70 of 271 Old 08-07-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
This whole post is rather personal.

My mind is all scattered lately and I guess now I am willing to share what has me freaking out.
There is a possibility I may be pregnant, or having early menopause, or some other uterine problem. I've scheduled an appointment at the ANHC for next Friday, before anyone suggests I must first get medical advice.

Background: I was pregnant in 1995 by my first husband and miscarried. If I hadn't miscarried, I'd have a 14 year old daughter right now. I never used any birth control during the nine years I was married to him and never got pregnant again. Four months into knowing my now husband, I was preganant with Abigail. hen Abigail was only 5 months old, while I was on two forms of birth control, we conceived Sophia. 2 months after Sophia was born, I had an IUD put in (the kind that is safe for use while breastfeeding, of course). Sophia will be three years old on the 22nd. I've been, overall, fairly happy with the IUD.

After the IUD was put in, my periods were pretty much the same as they'd always been. Instead of a 28-29 day cycle, though, I've had a 30-31 day cycle. I am counting from first day of one period to the first day of the next period. My periods last between 6 to 7 days just like they did pre - IUD. They are heavy, and I get clots and cramps and PMS really bad, just as I always have.

Well, the last several months I hadn't been writing down start/end dates as I usually do. But, I know my last period pretty much ended on July 1st, which means it likely began on or around June 24th. The past couple months I've had some spotting around ovulation time and thought nothing of it. All of July, I've had some spotting every 3rd day or every other day, it varies. It's nothing that requires a tampon or pad, it's just noticeable when I wipe after peeing. Well, here it is now 6 weeks since my last period began. I'm really worried.

It's not that I wouldn't want another child... someday, when we have a decent housing environment, more space, more money, less debt, etc. ... I did after all, at some point in time, want 4 kids, but that was before two unplanned for and unwanted cesarean deliveries. I'm fat, I'm out of shape and can't imagine I have a suitable body for growing another life. Those are just some of my worries right now. That aside, if I am pregnant, I'm having a third child!
From what you have said, it really does not sound like pre-menopause but more like an internal miscommunication with your Birth Control. Are you on the Mirena IUD? maybe the hormones are going wacky and causing your periods to become messed up.
I would probably look at having the IUD removed for a few months and see if that helps.
Also you could look at doing some herbals to help regulate your cycle. Such as Dong Quai Tea.
#71 of 271 Old 08-07-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
From what you have said, it really does not sound like pre-menopause but more like an internal miscommunication with your Birth Control. Are you on the Mirena IUD? maybe the hormones are going wacky and causing your periods to become messed up.
I would probably look at having the IUD removed for a few months and see if that helps.
Also you could look at doing some herbals to help regulate your cycle. Such as Dong Quai Tea.
I know I have the non-hormonal IUD, I just didn't remember which name it was, since I've had it for nearly 3 years now. I know it's the non-hormonal because I looked at the two choices offered and selected the one that wouldn't interfere with breastfeeding. So I'm guessing it must be the paraguard. It was supposed to last 8-10 years.

I never heard of Dong Quai Tea. What does that do specifically?

#72 of 271 Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
I never heard of Dong Quai Tea. What does that do specifically?
You're correct, paragard is non-hormonal.

Dong Quai supports the female reproductive system. I don't take the tea, I take Pregnancy Prep, which is a vitamin supplement I get at Natural Pantry. It has raspberry leaf, vitex (chasteberry), Dong Quai, and motherwort. Since I have started taking it I have seen higher temps post ovulation, and also almost non existant cramping during my cycle... and before I had an IUD, my cramps would often be so bad I would vomit for days. True, I am 4 years older than I was when I had regular cycles before, so certainly my cycles could have changed just because of time, but I do think the supplements really help.
#73 of 271 Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
You're correct, paragard is non-hormonal.

Dong Quai supports the female reproductive system. I don't take the tea, I take Pregnancy Prep, which is a vitamin supplement I get at Natural Pantry. It has raspberry leaf, vitex (chasteberry), Dong Quai, and motherwort. Since I have started taking it I have seen higher temps post ovulation, and also almost non existant cramping during my cycle... and before I had an IUD, my cramps would often be so bad I would vomit for days. True, I am 4 years older than I was when I had regular cycles before, so certainly my cycles could have changed just because of time, but I do think the supplements really help.

Yeah that!

I have used Dong Quai to help regulate my cycles. IT can be in a mixed tea or straight or I think it even comes in a pill form.
#74 of 271 Old 08-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
I'm looking for info on raw milk, interested in buying a share and getting into a co-op in the Mat-Su, with deliveries in the Anchorage area. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I had an acquaintance in Eagle River who was organizing a new group of co-op'ers, but I've lost her email/contact info...

Paula heads up a co-op in the Valley and I am thinking she has a lady that delivers to Anchorage. I know she's not posting on here, but if you PM her, you might be able to get ahold of her. If you can't, pm me and I'll see if I still have her number.
#75 of 271 Old 08-08-2009, 09:01 PM

Today is my third anniversary!!! :

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#76 of 271 Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
Today is my third anniversary!!! :
CONGRATS!! ::

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#77 of 271 Old 08-09-2009, 02:47 AM

I have a pair of broken binoculars. The 2 sides are out of sync with each other and they are too cheap & old to bother repairing. (These were a lost and found item from a hike I led 3 years ago. After 3 years its my decision on how to dispose of the item.)

They are free if you want them. I've given away previous pairs of dead ones to mammas of curious kids or homeschooling mommas so their kids can "dissect" them. These are Porro-prism design binos - and if you are good with some screwdrivers and hacksaw it can be really neat to open them up and see exactly how the sequence of lenses creates the up-close effect. (Wikipedia actually has a descent description of how they work.)

I'm in Anchorage but regularly in Eagle River. PM me if you are interested.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#78 of 271 Old 08-09-2009, 04:25 AM

Anyone else been to the fair yet? We went yesterday. I'm glad the rocket launch is over even though I'll be writting the FAA about it.

DD really wanted to do the mni monster trucks of all things! She's too short but she loved watching them. We got food, saw the veggies in the jr. competition (we could have won with zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower...will have to enter next year!) and the photography.

Jenn
#79 of 271 Old 08-09-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post
Anyone else been to the fair yet? We went yesterday. I'm glad the rocket launch is over even though I'll be writting the FAA about it.

DD really wanted to do the mni monster trucks of all things! She's too short but she loved watching them. We got food, saw the veggies in the jr. competition (we could have won with zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower...will have to enter next year!) and the photography.

Jenn
Okay, Am I the ONLY one who did not know about this??
#80 of 271 Old 08-09-2009, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post

Jenn

We *live* at the fair (or it feels like it)! The kids entered artwork and one poem this year...no veggies or flowers. E usually enters his sunflowers, but they really aren't growing well (we tried a new type) this year.

The Jr. baking is an awesome contest. I'm thinking of entering apple pie or bread into the adult perishables day...but i don't know. We'll see.

The boys were disappointed that they forgot the Lego Competition. (They didn't forget, I reminded them five or six times that it would be happening, and they should enter something...but they decided not to).

B works the EMS booth a lot, so we hang out in the ditch near there. Pay for the fair to play in a ditch!

Next year you should enter! It's SO much fun!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#81 of 271 Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 PM

Rocket Launch???

We went opening day since DH didn't have to work that day, it is so much more fun as the kids get bigger. They are more into the rides, animals and looking at things than they were even last year. I love seeing people I don't really see otherwise (penelope! ) and it is fun to look at the artwork and quilts. I've entered a quilt a few times, but didn't get it together soon enough this year. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to do 4H, DH is talking about a COW of all things...sheesh...where would we put a cow! I am thinking more like a bunny...they're awfully cute

I can't believe I go back to work tomorrow, I feel both and : I love teaching and will be the department head this year, kind of exciting and intimidating at the same time. I am looking forward to having more control over what is going on in our little math world at least

Got Z a twin mattress today (I counted last night and he crashed into the edge of his toddler bed over 10 times!!!) and have spent the whole day rearranging their half of our upstairs he is sooooooo excited and has spend the afternoon claiming "I'm so tired, I'm going to go to sleep" promptly to get up 3 seconds later to run around all excited.

Is anybody interested in a toddler bed and mattress? I'd love to give it to someone who could use it...

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#82 of 271 Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post

I can't believe I go back to work tomorrow, I feel both and : I love teaching and will be the department head this year, kind of exciting and intimidating at the same time.
What day is your first day of school there? We don't go back until Thursday, so I think we are a few days behind you.. unless you have to go back earlier than most because of dept duties?

I am excited about going back, too.. I am teaching a workshop for the first time EVER! Hoping it goes well..

I ran around and bought Bento items today.. got a Mr. Bento new for $35 from craigslist and a slightly smaller "floor" model one at an Asian market for about $30.. (it was a bit dirty and missing its chopsticks).. I found some cute little dishes for $1.99 that are glass but have snap on lids like locknlocks.. So yeah, I will be bringing in homemade lunches this year.. Usually i would bring in a frozen dinner type thing, but I want to do something a bit healthier (and maybe cheaper, too!) since we are ttc this year..

ETA: My mother has to go back Tuesday I think.. her school is "in crisis" so they have additional planning/meetings they have to attend.
#83 of 271 Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
What day is your first day of school there? We don't go back until Thursday, so I think we are a few days behind you.. unless you have to go back earlier than most because of dept duties?

I am excited about going back, too.. I am teaching a workshop for the first time EVER! Hoping it goes well..

So yeah, I will be bringing in homemade lunches this year.. Usually i would bring in a frozen dinner type thing, but I want to do something a bit healthier (and maybe cheaper, too!) since we are ttc this year..
The kids go back the 17th, all the teachers go in tomorrow, it will be fun to see my co-workers again.

If you like the frozen dinner type thing, but want to be healthier, you could try making a big batch on the weekend and freezing it in smaller containers. I have done that with things like enchiladas, lasagna, soups, basically anything with a sauce will freeze well. If you took it out the night before it would probably be thawed out enough and you wouldn't have to take the extra time to make something in the morning.

What do you teach?

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#84 of 271 Old 08-09-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
The kids go back the 17th, all the teachers go in tomorrow, it will be fun to see my co-workers again.

If you like the frozen dinner type thing, but want to be healthier, you could try making a big batch on the weekend and freezing it in smaller containers. I have done that with things like enchiladas, lasagna, soups, basically anything with a sauce will freeze well. If you took it out the night before it would probably be thawed out enough and you wouldn't have to take the extra time to make something in the morning.

What do you teach?
English.. and funny thing, I have beens in the crockpot right now, cooking and then freezing.. I buy them dry and then I am always in such a hurry to make dinner I never have time to soak them and cook them, so I thought this might work.. I have been following this blog

http://lunchinabox.net/faq/#FAQ1

and it has been giving me a lot of ideas about reusing leftovers!
#85 of 271 Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 AM

Yeah, there was a launch sponsored by Midnight Sun Martial Arts. There were two issues with it - the main one being that it was done illegally since the fairgrounds are within a certain distance from the airport! The second less important though still annoying thing is that it wasn't done following general safety protocol for a launch. DH flies high power model rockets (his biggest is just over 12 ft. tall) and we've seen much larger ones fly. To see kids getting an ill advised start in rocketry was upsetting to say the least. Whle it's a blast for kids it needs to be done correctly and within the bounds of the federal law.

We brought in 8 pounds of broccoli and a nice head of cauliflower from the garden last night.

Jenn
#86 of 271 Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 AM

rabrog, did you check to see if they'd gotten a waiver for the launch from the feds?

If they were unsafe, I could understand your concern, but I don't see a safety issue in your posts (aside from the federal angle). Which "general safety protocol" did they breach, and how? WERE these 12 foot rockets? Or are we talking kid-made ones?

I'm frustrated, to add fuel to the fire, by the eating contests this year. Watermelon eating contest for little kids, pie for adults.

It just disgusts me that we waste so much food in these types of things. If they did the contest with a "donate to X World Hunger Foundation" etc., I wouldn't be so frustrated. There is so much focus on the Food Bank and its needs...why not donate all the raw materials for the eating contests to the Food Bank instead??

sigh.

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#87 of 271 Old 08-10-2009, 10:54 AM

On another annoying note, I heard that Anderson went ahead with its fireworks display during their BlueGrass festival....yeah, the Anderson that is covered in smoke and supposed to be ready to evacuate any minute. *sigh*

#88 of 271 Old 08-10-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
On another annoying note, I heard that Anderson went ahead with its fireworks display during their BlueGrass festival....yeah, the Anderson that is covered in smoke and supposed to be ready to evacuate any minute. *sigh*
indeed they did. and also other individuals had their own fireworks displays directly over our tent.

also at anderson, they permitted "cooking" fires (ie regular bonfires)...in spite of the burn ban. it was a little weird.

Katie
#89 of 271 Old 08-10-2009, 08:03 PM

Penelope, the airport restriction is a federal law - there's no waiver available for it. These were little rockets but they could still go a fair distance. They were launching right underneath airplanes (because planes couldn't get in for two days the flight schedule was thrown out the window just to get people in) and I cannot tell you what a huge NO that is. When we fly, we have FAA waivers to 100K feet for a specific amount of time. Planes know not to fly into the airspace, etc. There was nothing in place like that here and while it didn't put anyone in danger in the planes, it was against the law and was not a good thing to show kids.

They also had kids all over the place - there was nothing to keep kids from getting right next to the rocket that was racked and ready to go. That could have caused a serious injury.

Basically, there aren't rocket launches in town because of the laws. DH would love to launch up here but the state laws are so tight it can't be done. Also, rocketry gets a bad rap anyway so having things done like this doesn't help anything.

Jenn
#90 of 271 Old 08-11-2009, 04:43 PM

There will be an Alaska Birth Network meeting on the 15th here in Anchorage.

HomePage

User Tag List