Alaska chat for August - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 271 Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post

Oliver makes me think of Oliver Twist...It's an awesome name, though. What about Oliver Benjamin Brighton? OBB...
I couldn't do Oliver even we when were on "O".. We adopted one so the idea of an "orphan" name was a no go for us. Otherwise, I would like it.
#182 of 271 Old 08-26-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
so HERE is a funny one for you...
I know I'm not supposed to link the actual blog, but hopefully you can at least see this pic.
(Caption: new couch: FAIL!!!)
Here's the story to go with it (c&p from my blog)

oH mY~!~~

#183 of 271 Old 08-26-2009, 03:44 AM

Jenni - your couch is well, um, at least a statement in interior design. Where the 2 meet could be the perfect place for a potted plant - or something... I certainly hope the manager gets the correct piece on Friday to you.

I had a shipping error myself. I picked up my order from Azure Standard last week and had ordered 2 cases of 7th Generation training pants for DS. They were in 2 boxes with labels for Vanilla Cake Mix, but I just figured they were recycling boxes, they've done that before. I opened them up yesterday - no diapers, but 12 packages of gluten-free vanilla cake mix. Guess what the food bank is getting tomorrow. I hope somebody who's actually gluten-free gets the mixes (otherwise, they'll probably think something is wrong with the cake.) Good news is that Azure is UPS'ing me the training pants - but they weren't until I pointed out that I was out $17 otherwise in the shipping cost and 10% "handling" fee from Wolf Lake. I just have to fax them the receipt from the Food Bank. Bad news is I have to buy some dipes at Fred Meyers for DS to take to daycare on Thursday b/c I am out and I was hoping to not have him in diapers there anymore (but training pants), but he goes through a pack a week so that's not too bad. They can still take him to the bathroom, they'll just have to put a diaper back on him. Which isn't much harder than pulling up the pants considering he is absolutely convinced his shoes, sock and pants must be removed to pee. (Maybe it will be easier for him to leave the pants on sitting on the tiny toilets (you know the ones where adult knees come to your nose, they're so cute.)

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#184 of 271 Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM

My husband and I are considering moving to Fairbanks. We have a 1.5-yr-old daughter and hope to have another baby next year. How do you like living in Fairbanks? I've heard it has very cold, dark winters and warm summers with a lot of mosquitoes. I've also heard people love living there -- very nice people, friendly, etc. Can you give me some specific things you like (or don't like) about living there? Are there a lot of parks or playgrounds? Are there indoor "open play" times at gyms or community centers? Are the schools good? Is it hard to deal with short winter days and long summer days in terms of getting your children to go to bed (and get up in the morning) with any kind of regularity? Are groceries expensive? Flights to the continental U.S.? Any other specifics would be welcomed. Thank you.
#185 of 271 Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Fairbanks. We have a 1.5-yr-old daughter and hope to have another baby next year. How do you like living in Fairbanks? I've heard it has very cold, dark winters and warm summers with a lot of mosquitoes. I've also heard people love living there -- very nice people, friendly, etc. Can you give me some specific things you like (or don't like) about living there? Are there a lot of parks or playgrounds? Are there indoor "open play" times at gyms or community centers? Are the schools good? Is it hard to deal with short winter days and long summer days in terms of getting your children to go to bed (and get up in the morning) with any kind of regularity? Are groceries expensive? Flights to the continental U.S.? Any other specifics would be welcomed. Thank you.
where are you coming from?
#186 of 271 Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 PM

We're coming from the Washington, DC, area, but I grew up in rural Montana near the mountains and we lived there for 5 months last fall and winter. So even though we're coming from DC, we both know (and like) rural-sh, small, and cold places. We're fairly adaptable and are trying to get as much of a sense of what Fairbanks would be like before deciding to move there. We've looked for Fairbanks blogs and are trying to do as much research as we can. Thank you.
#187 of 271 Old 08-27-2009, 12:38 AM

You might find my friend Susan's blog interesting. She's a GREAT photographer and writer. She travels the state and posts it here:
http://susanstevenson.com/blog/
#188 of 271 Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
We're coming from the Washington, DC, area, but I grew up in rural Montana near the mountains and we lived there for 5 months last fall and winter. So even though we're coming from DC, we both know (and like) rural-sh, small, and cold places. We're fairly adaptable and are trying to get as much of a sense of what Fairbanks would be like before deciding to move there. We've looked for Fairbanks blogs and are trying to do as much research as we can. Thank you.
ah, well then you will LOVE fairbanks! I am from Bozeman and Fairbanks reminds me a LOT of the bozeman I grew up with.
#189 of 271 Old 08-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the links to the photo site -- looks beautiful. roadfamily6now, does it remind you of Bozeman because it's a frontier college town in/near the mountains? I grew up north of there -- near the Rocky Mountain front. Is there a 'progressive'/'green' community (seems so, from online research) in FBX? Are there lots of indoor activiities for kids in the winter? Sorry for all the continuous questions, just trying to figure out what it would be like to live there with toddlers and if I would go stir crazy in the cold, dark winters.
#190 of 271 Old 08-27-2009, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
lolo,

It's not that hard to get used to winters here. There are *some* indoor activities (your child is very young, so playgroups, MOPS, etc are abundant) but as your kids get older and/or you get more used to the climate, there is also skiing (even with toddlers, lots of kids here learn to ski before they're 2), ice skating, playing at the park, etc. Our family does martial arts and swimming, both indoor activities, but we spend a lot of time doing other things outside in the winter. Ice park, sledding, etc.

As to the dark, well, I know some people that needed a SAD light to get used to it, and some who don't. It depends on you. If you stay busy enough and have enough things to keep you connected with your community of other parents, I think the SAD issue largely takes care of itself. My closest friend is VERY active, has 4 lovely kids and still needs her SAD light every morning, so it does differ from person to person.

There is a huge green/environmentally active community here. Many people ride bikes and/or ski all year, never driving at all. We're working on getting recycling up to par as a community...it's slow going.

Good luck in your choices, I live just outside FBKS proper and love it!

love, p (mom of 5, step of one more)

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#191 of 271 Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
brightonwoman:

If you're happy with your homebirth midwife that's great. Just wanted to mention that the nurse-midwives at Homer Medical are very good as well. Even though they deliver at the hospital, they're very natural birth friendly. All of us here in Seldovia end up using them (no choices, really), and all of us have had very good experiences.
#192 of 271 Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
brightonwoman:

If you're happy with your homebirth midwife that's great. Just wanted to mention that the nurse-midwives at Homer Medical are very good as well. Even though they deliver at the hospital, they're very natural birth friendly. All of us here in Seldovia end up using them (no choices, really), and all of us have had very good experiences.
Thanks, I have heard good things about them and will be having a consultation with them too. I'm told that the hospital here has 3 nice birthing rooms but just 1 whirlpool tub between them...last time I ended up being too tired to get in the tub, but it's still something I'm really interested in and I'd like to have that option. Homer is small enough that I would think that I could probably pretty much have it to myself, but you never know. The other thing is that i need to ask them if they will do the actual birth in the tub or if they'd make me get out...I really really want a waterbirth if possible, and I know that's a realistic option at home but I don't know if they have liability issues at the hospital...
I hear the hospital also has a birth ball, which is nice because I wouldn't have to buy my own (and the ball was my basic must-have last time I labored!)

I have found alaska in general to be much more natural-everything friendly than my prior state. I love that. : Nobody made faces or comments when I nursed my toddler in public, everybody thought babywearing was cool, natural birthing seems more the norm than the exception (and nobody thinks I'm a nut for wanting it) so that's all just great. (When my last son was born I was living in a county with a 90% epidural rate )

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#193 of 271 Old 08-27-2009, 08:28 PM

The Hospital in Homer will NOT do waterbirths.

And, while I think the midwives there are ok...They do work in a hospital, with hospital expectations. Unless you show up pushing, or have the rare absolutely straightforward birth, you will end up with interventions.

That being said, it depends on the midwife you get. The nurses are great though!

Good luck!
#194 of 271 Old 08-27-2009, 10:17 PM

She's here!

Thanks for all your help and recommendations, my midwives were amazing and I really could not have asked for a better birth. Unbelievable.

My slightly incoherant birth story

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#195 of 271 Old 08-27-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
lolo,

It's not that hard to get used to winters here. There are *some* indoor activities (your child is very young, so playgroups, MOPS, etc are abundant) but as your kids get older and/or you get more used to the climate, there is also skiing (even with toddlers, lots of kids here learn to ski before they're 2), ice skating, playing at the park, etc. Our family does martial arts and swimming, both indoor activities, but we spend a lot of time doing other things outside in the winter. Ice park, sledding, etc.

As to the dark, well, I know some people that needed a SAD light to get used to it, and some who don't. It depends on you. If you stay busy enough and have enough things to keep you connected with your community of other parents, I think the SAD issue largely takes care of itself. My closest friend is VERY active, has 4 lovely kids and still needs her SAD light every morning, so it does differ from person to person.

There is a huge green/environmentally active community here. Many people ride bikes and/or ski all year, never driving at all. We're working on getting recycling up to par as a community...it's slow going.

Good luck in your choices, I live just outside FBKS proper and love it!

love, p (mom of 5, step of one more)
Thank you! And thanks to the other people who responded too. This all sounds good to me!
#196 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
She's here!

Thanks for all your help and recommendations, my midwives were amazing and I really could not have asked for a better birth. Unbelievable.

Whooott WHooot!::::::
#197 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
CONGRATULATIONS, SARAH!!

:

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#198 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post
The Hospital in Homer will NOT do waterbirths.

And, while I think the midwives there are ok...They do work in a hospital, with hospital expectations. Unless you show up pushing, or have the rare absolutely straightforward birth, you will end up with interventions.

That being said, it depends on the midwife you get. The nurses are great though!

Good luck!
yeah, the more I try to start visualizing this birth, the more I'm just seeing home... I know DH gets nervous about the small chance 'what ifs' but I found out yesterday that if you deliver at the hospital here they have you sign a disclaimer that they don't have people on call for crash c-sections, so if you need one there is a delay (even if you were already in the hospital)...um, might as well be at home, you know?!
And if we wanted a waterbirth here we'd have to order our own birth tub (we're kinda broke but I've wanted a waterbirth so much...) but in thinking about it I'm realizing that we've got a decent tub here with a shower sprayer on a hose, and that's as good as any birth pool--no jets either way, so if I'm doing water I might as well just be in my tub, right? Mmmmm.

#199 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
She's here!

YAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!

Are there other AK mommies on this thread that are due before me? I've still got 11ish weeks to go...

#200 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 02:50 AM

Congratulations. And that picture of her and her daddy looking at each other is just priceless! How much did she weigh?
#201 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Thanks! If you know of a dentist in Anc, that's fine too; I don't mind driving in

ETA: I actually just saw a commercial for a pediatric eye dr saying kids should have an eye exam at 6 months! So I guess I need to think about taking them for an eye exam too, since it's covered.
Hi! I mostly lurk here but I wanted to let you know we see a holistic health dentist here in anchorage named Dr Walsh at Health Centered Dentistry and I just got a letter in the mail today saying they are now offering pediatric care.....

Crazybusywahm to 2 wildboys & hoping for a babe
#202 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 01:59 PM

I took my just barely two year old into Health Centered Dentistry for a Saturday appointment with Dr. Henry just last week. I was really pleased... much happier than with the other pediatric dentist we've been seeing in Anchorage every month for a year, due to my daughters dental enamel problems. I'm definitely going to stick with them, no question.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#203 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Congratulations. And that picture of her and her daddy looking at each other is just priceless! How much did she weigh?
9lbs even. and I'm extremely proud to report that all 9lbs came out in 2 contractions with no tearing! I feel like a superhero!

The 'roids are a bit humbling though. . .

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#204 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The 'roids are a bit humbling though. . .
I never had them in pregnancy but developed them from pushing with my last birth. The things I found most helpful were actually to utilize a couple of birth techniques whenever I needed to have a BM:
  • squatting (I had a little step stool and would put my feet up on it, or even on the edge of the toilet seat if you're that flexible)
  • pereneal support (I'd just press my finger in a little right behind my anus and it seemed to relieve the pressure...I'm sure it would work on the pereneum to but that was harder to reach )

Witch hazel is also very soothing--I put a little in a peri bottle with warm water and just squirted all over down there. They make tucks pads with witch hazel in them, but a plain bottle of the stuff was cheaper

#205 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 09:48 PM

Your baby is perfect, Sarah! I have to agree - the picture of her with her daddy is fabulous.

Jenni, my initials were JAR before I got married and now their JAM. I couldn't do BOB, either. Love the couch! Did the guy swap out the wrong piece?

DD is loving Barnette! : She's just having a blast and I'm involved with the PAC and head of cookie dough sales already. We love it there.

Jenn
#206 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Sarah, you obviously are the champ at baby naming. I am on U or Y any suggestions?
#207 of 271 Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 PM

well I am confused.............
We are in Seattle and I am finding that the produce here is EXACTLY the same price if not higher then in Anchorage!
Infact I paid 89cents per pound for Bananas, Not Organic!

Peaches were $3 per pound! I did score some Vine Tomatoes for $.99 but they were on sale.

So, where is great deals? this was at the farmers market AND the grocery.
#208 of 271 Old 08-29-2009, 12:24 AM

Tammy,

I am not sure where you are, but when I went to the farmers markets in Seattle last summer, their produce was organic and WAY LESS expensive than the grocery store prices. I don't really understand why organic produce in the stores here are generally cheaper than they are at the Farmer's Markets here. Just my observation....
#209 of 271 Old 08-29-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
She's here!

Congrats!
#210 of 271 Old 08-29-2009, 02:39 AM

Sarah, how wonderful! What a beautiful little girl!! With my youngest my cervix never went all the way. I had a lip the Natalie got caught on, so the midwife ended up using her finger to push it out of the way. Your LO must have been in a great position, too. I have 3 and the only one I ripped on was my smallest, and I think it's because she was twisted. She started to come out sunny-side up and turned part way out. My 9+ lber was no problem.

For anyone interested, there is at least one booth at the state fair that is selling cloth diapers made by a lady in Wasilla. It is the Stonehill Gardens booth on the red trail, across from kettle corn. She also makes mei tais and felt food, though I don't know if she's selling any of that at the fair.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page