Alaska chat for August - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 271 Old 08-31-2009, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
I've got to get myself come tea tree oil. We also can't seem to find baking soda in bulk quantity since we no longer have a costco membership. It seems nowhere else sells it in anything larger than those tiny boxes.
Next time you are in the valley, stop at 3 Bears. Either the one at Pittman, or the one on Trunk, near Palmer.
They have the big bag.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#242 of 271 Old 08-31-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
This is sort of copied and pasted, sorry. I need ideas!!

Thanks for any ideas, I'm almost frantic with worry that it will be a big flop.
love, penelope
Is a build your own pizza party to much for you?
Might be a good idea if the weather is going to horrible.

One thing that is fun, is having a toilet/tissue paper clothing contest.
One guys outfit, and one girls outfit.
But, do not split into girl, guy teams. Keep it mixed.
Maybe have a theme. Pirates, royal court, etc.
Thats good for at least an hours worth of fun.

#243 of 271 Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
Is a build your own pizza party to much for you?
Might be a good idea if the weather is going to horrible.

One thing that is fun, is having a toilet/tissue paper clothing contest.
One guys outfit, and one girls outfit.
But, do not split into girl, guy teams. Keep it mixed.
Maybe have a theme. Pirates, royal court, etc.
Thats good for at least an hours worth of fun.
I don't quite understand the bathroom tissue outfit idea...or what I would need for it? Toilet paper, obviously...glue? Sparkles? Tape?

My kids actually *really* want me to do the "make your own pizza" thing, because it's something we do regularly, anyway. I was hoping for an outdoors cookout, so that at least part of the time would not be indoors.

I put a TON of effort into my son's 8th bday this summer (Harry Potter themed), and it was awesome, but a lot of work. And in the end, the biggest hit of a game wasn't the Snitch pinata I made, or the homemade hand-carved wands, or even the pop-rocks in colored juice to make potions...it was a game called "Salute the Captain," that all the kids play at karate.

I think a theme might be a good idea, but the invitations are out, and it wouldn't be fair now to ask anyone to come in costume or anything, so that leaves me to create costumes for them (and of course my daughter would help, but one more thing to do...)...

If it's nasty rainy like it has been, we'll definitely go with the pizza idea. We did that years back for one of the girls' birthdays, and it was awesome what they turned out (all I did was make the dough).

Thanks for the ideas!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#244 of 271 Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 PM

Would they be into flag football, tag, hide and seek, capture the flag - retro outdoor kids games? With a good sized fun-loving group like that, they'd probably love it regardless of the weather...

(You could just email or call and remind them to bring extra clothes to change into if it's rainy or muddy!)

Orrrr... pictionary is fun with a big group and two big white boards on easels/hung on the wall.

I love the MYO pizza idea!

I was raised in Fairbanks, with a mid-September birthday. Most years I just had a big sleepover!
#245 of 271 Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I've got to get myself come tea tree oil. We also can't seem to find baking soda in bulk quantity since we no longer have a costco membership. It seems nowhere else sells it in anything larger than those tiny boxes.
I got the 4 lb box of baking soda at Fred Meyer midtown. I still need some tea tree oil.

I second flag football and large group pictionary! Also, if you want boardgames, scattergories is LOTS of fun and can be played in pairs (so six pairs per board game).. I picked up a couple of sets of this game at Value Village for $1.99.. it is SO fun.
#246 of 271 Old 08-31-2009, 10:34 PM

thank you for the wonderful Cleaning and disinfecting ideas ladies!
#247 of 271 Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I don't quite understand the bathroom tissue outfit idea...or what I would need for it? Toilet paper, obviously...glue? Sparkles? Tape?
Oh, you have each team "build" an outfit on a model, using either toilet paper, or tissue paper.
Tape is the only other article needed.
And by theme, I meant the outfits

#248 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 12:16 AM

Does anyone here pack thier kids' lunches? Two of my kiddos attend a school where lunch is free to all kids, but one attends a different school, and all of a sudden we no longer qualify for reduced price lunch for him.

So I am looking at packing lunches.. I have a laptop lunchbox, but it is MINE and PINK. I could get him another one, but honestly I think the 2.0 pieces are easier since the sizes are varied and they all have lids.. what do you all do?

Also, what do you put in them? I am always looking for ideas, and "Oh, I just snatch an orange off of my fruit tree that grows by our front door" doesn't really fit for Alaskan families

I made him heart shaped jigglers, and star shaped pb and j, and lumpia another day.. carrots (he doesn't like celery), grapes, apple slices..
#249 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 AM

For lunches, besides the varied fruits, I'd suggest some more protein. The only thing that sounds easy to me are nuts and sandwich meat and string cheese. I used to roll sandwich meat around string cheese without bread so it looked like a tube and ate that along with salad for lunches and it really kept me energized for the day (this was back when I worked at Curves and we didn't get breaks and had to eat quick snacks behind the desk discreetly).

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#250 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 AM

Pinoikoi, we have to pack lunch for DS (6) every day.

Usually consists of some kind of sandwich on varying bread - pita, wheat, bagel, tortilla, meat and cheese or nut butter and honey or jelly. Cream cheese and jelly on a bagel. Some kind of carb/protein combo.

I usually pack him either a string cheese or yogurt (I buy the big tubs and portion it out into a little plastic cup) or slices/cubes of cheese.

A fruit - nectarines, clementines, pears, bananas, apples, grapes...

Then usually some kind of snacky thing, like pirate's booty or some other kind of cracker or homemade granola bars/muffin.

Luckily my kiddo is a creature of habit, and he likes the same "boring" (to me!) things day after day!
#251 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Borax, though, can be dangerous if it gets eaten. It is better than bleach, from what I understand, but there is the possibility of it causing problems.
Borax is not terribly toxic. An adult would have to eat it by the cupful to be "lethal" - it is quite bad for infants if it can get directly into the bloodstream (through the eyes or broken skin, not eating it.)

So I curious though - what is the primary concern with bleach. I assume you are talking about chlorine bleach? Is it the off-gasing of chlorine? Or that drinking it is very dangerous? Or the hazard of mixing it with ammonia (although I imagine that if you don't use bleach you probably don't use ammonia). We still use it in our house - but pretty much just for hardcore decontamination. DH comes home periodically with truly unspeakable stuff on his boots/clothing. There are certain things that vinegar can't touch. (Hydrogen peroxide is good for small stuff, like cutting boards. If I could buy it by the gallons I would - but it doesn't work diluted, unlike bleach - which we use it in a 10% dilution for 10 minutes per CDC/EPA guidelines.)

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#252 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Does anyone here pack thier kids' lunches? Two of my kiddos attend a school where lunch is free to all kids, but one attends a different school, and all of a sudden we no longer qualify for reduced price lunch for him.

So I am looking at packing lunches.. I have a laptop lunchbox, but it is MINE and PINK. I could get him another one, but honestly I think the 2.0 pieces are easier since the sizes are varied and they all have lids.. what do you all do?

Also, what do you put in them? I am always looking for ideas, and "Oh, I just snatch an orange off of my fruit tree that grows by our front door" doesn't really fit for Alaskan families

I made him heart shaped jigglers, and star shaped pb and j, and lumpia another day.. carrots (he doesn't like celery), grapes, apple slices..
man, I wish my kids would eat lumpia! Yumm!

So, I pack lunch for 5 people.
I usually make a "sandwich" which is usually a meat/cheese combo on breads, tortilla, or bagel.
Today they just got 2 rice cakes and a couple slices of turkey.
We usually send a cheese stick or yogurt as well but the cheese sticks we got from Costco last time were BAD! (like they started to explode from their packages!) so no cheese sticks this week.
I always send a fruit since they are eaten by all my kids. I have packed carrot sticks and broc, etc with some small cups of Ranch but they always come home unopened.
I always send a 100% Juice drink, frozen juice box to help keep things cold.
I also send a sippy bottle of water.
We have also done peanuts, raisins, homemade muffins, pirate booty, granola bars, etc.................... my son likes Tuna and cheese so he will get a bowl of tuna, some slices of cheese and a baggy of crackers.

I use those GLAD WARE re-usable containers and buy a lot of stuff in bulk like #10 can of pears or applesauce. I also make sugar-free jello and chill it directly in the serving cups for lunches.

my kids go to a charter school that wont allow unhealthy foods so my choices have to be on the "better for ya" side. No fruit snacks, or chips, cookies, etc.
#253 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
This is sort of copied and pasted, sorry. I need ideas!!
Thanks for any ideas, I'm almost frantic with worry that it will be a big flop.

love, penelope

Depending on the furniture you have, could you do backwards food and eating? As in, start with dessert and work your way to the main dish and eat it on the floor under the table instead of in chairs at the table? Obviously it depends on the size of the group and whatnot. Would your place be large enough for a game of Sardines? For one of my parties it was backwards themed -- we did outdoor games inside, ate under the table, etc. Maybe a karaoke contest, but where you have to make up your own songs? Make it a worst song contest instead of a best song contest. I've always liked trivia games, so maybe make your own trivia.
#254 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 AM

tallanvor, those are great ideas to run with! Thank you for taking the time to write that!

I can so see these kids doing karaoke...and to do the "worst" karaoke...that would be a blast!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#255 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
man, I wish my kids would eat lumpia! Yumm!

So, I pack lunch for 5 people.
I usually make a "sandwich" which is usually a meat/cheese combo on breads, tortilla, or bagel.
Today they just got 2 rice cakes and a couple slices of turkey.
We usually send a cheese stick or yogurt as well but the cheese sticks we got from Costco last time were BAD! (like they started to explode from their packages!) so no cheese sticks this week.
I always send a fruit since they are eaten by all my kids. I have packed carrot sticks and broc, etc with some small cups of Ranch but they always come home unopened.
I always send a 100% Juice drink, frozen juice box to help keep things cold.
I also send a sippy bottle of water.
We have also done peanuts, raisins, homemade muffins, pirate booty, granola bars, etc.................... my son likes Tuna and cheese so he will get a bowl of tuna, some slices of cheese and a baggy of crackers.

I use those GLAD WARE re-usable containers and buy a lot of stuff in bulk like #10 can of pears or applesauce. I also make sugar-free jello and chill it directly in the serving cups for lunches.

my kids go to a charter school that wont allow unhealthy foods so my choices have to be on the "better for ya" side. No fruit snacks, or chips, cookies, etc.
My kiddo eats the veggies I pack (except celery) as long as they are still pretty firm by the time he opens them. I packed an asian dressing as a dip once that kind of spilled on the carrots and turned them a bit off color and he wouldn't touch them.. I also do jello right into the containers (although I am going to try a different brand in the future to avoid the dye) I bought these little glass boxes at the Korean store on Fireweed with snap on lids (like lock n locks) for $1.99 that are the perfect size for jello.

What IS pirate booty? Is that a brand name?

I am also asking this question for me as well.. we are ttc, and that may mean I have to limit my lunchmeat and tuna in the future, so...

Ha! Nutella for me!
#256 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM

ha funny--one of my kids would eat Nutella/PB sandwiches everyday if he could.

We do a couple days/week of leftovers. I found some good Nissan stainless thermoses with wide mouths that work great. So, hot food a couple x/week and ham/cheese or NPBs the other days.

We do the organic choc milk from CostCo.

Sliced fruit in a reusable container.

Odwalla bar for morning snack.

And they have talked me into a junk food/day. I repkg a tiny bag of Doritos. This makes them so very happy. Oh well!
#257 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM

Pirate booty is alike a white cheese rice puff. Like Cheetos only better. THey also come in a Veggie flavor I like but the kids don't
#258 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 PM

Ugh, finally getting out of town. Got me a little place out on McGrath. I am going to be so happy out of town and am happy that it is pretty close though too lol.
#259 of 271 Old 09-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Ugh, finally getting out of town. Got me a little place out on McGrath. I am going to be so happy out of town and am happy that it is pretty close though too lol.
Have a great time!
#260 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 AM

Can anyone please remind me WHY IN THE WORLD I thought it would be a good idea to move to Alaska right before having my first child?

I know lots of people are native Alaskans, but for those of you that aren't:
How do you handle being so far away from family, friends, etc?

Obviously, there are people to be friends with in Alaska, and so far everyone I've met has just been amazing, you guys are awesome, but I just feel so isolated. Maybe that's a PP thing?

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#261 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Can anyone please remind me WHY IN THE WORLD I thought it would be a good idea to move to Alaska right before having my first child?

Obviously, there are people to be friends with in Alaska, and so far everyone I've met has just been amazing, you guys are awesome, but I just feel so isolated. Maybe that's a PP thing?
I think what you are feeling is quite common, both in a new to Alaska perspective and a new to motherhood perspective.

We are pretty isolated up here. We do lots of video chat and pictures with our family (the only family I have up here is my mother and I rarely see her) and lots of phone calls.

I have a few friends that I'm really close with. I really miss Fairbanks, where my long term friends were, but the longer we are here, I slowly make more good friends. I suspect you'll slowly make them as well. I'm starting to meet some of the mama's from here IRL, and so far, each of them has been awesome.

Can you go to LLL meetings? That really helped me when my babe was very little. I was very overwhelmed... I was struggling with breastfeeding and had nobody to turn to... as no one I knew breastfed, so I was very alone. Through LLL I made some great friendships (and they even steered me to mothering.. where I found folks I already knew... but was able to develop great friendships with (like miss Penelope ).

((hugs))

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#262 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:

It is hard up here, being so far from family. But your friends will become your family, that's how it is up here. And the cool thing about that is that they are your friends, you chose to be friends with them so obviously you like each other. Not always so with family .

After I had my first, I realized how much support I was going to need so I started going to infant playgroups and made some great friends who were in the same place as I was-brand new baby, all alone....Next thing I knew, we were spending Christmas together!

Hang in there!
#263 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:

I moved up here one year exactly before I had my first child. I hardly had met anyone during that year even though I was working. I was actually fired from one job after two months, the day before I would qualify for health insurance. The reason they gave me: 'cultural differences' and they thought I may not respect my elders. I just don't think I fit in anywhere. The last job I had the manager told me I was a liar and couldn't be trusted because I did not tell the owner I was pregnant on the day they hired me. I didn't tell them until I was 5 months along and I was certain I wasn't going to miscarry as I had the only other time I'd ever been pregnant which was 10 years prior. I told the manager why I withheld that information and she insisted I couldn't be trusted. Both of these bosses were women and I'm not sure if that is the reason or if they were just both very mean people and I was unlucky enough to work for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
I think what you are feeling is quite common, both in a new to Alaska perspective and a new to motherhood perspective.

We are pretty isolated up here. We do lots of video chat and pictures with our family (the only family I have up here is my mother and I rarely see her) and lots of phone calls.

I have a few friends that I'm really close with. I really miss Fairbanks, where my long term friends were, but the longer we are here, I slowly make more good friends. I suspect you'll slowly make them as well. I'm starting to meet some of the mama's from here IRL, and so far, each of them has been awesome.

Can you go to LLL meetings? That really helped me when my babe was very little. I was very overwhelmed... I was struggling with breastfeeding and had nobody to turn to... as no one I knew breastfed, so I was very alone. Through LLL I made some great friendships (and they even steered me to mothering.. where I found folks I already knew... but was able to develop great friendships with (like miss Penelope ).

((hugs))

I did attend LLL meetings and the Providence cuddlers and cruisers play groups. I even went to a couple play groups in mom's homes. I am not in contact with any of the people I met through those groups, except one woman who I ocassionally talk to on the phone. We never meet up because of our different socio-economic status. She wants to meet places that require I spend money and would require I have a second vehicle. I am an introvert so it's difficult for me to really get close to people and my lifestyle change of becoming a mom in my 30's was isolating for me as well as having just moved to this state. I also am quite embarrassed to have anyone come to my home. I wouldn't be able to even think about the visitor for fear they are disgusted by my home.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#264 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to send a

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#265 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I moved up here one year exactly before I had my first child. I hardly had met anyone during that year even though I was working. I was actually fired from one job after two months, the day before I would qualify for health insurance. The reason they gave me: 'cultural differences' and they thought I may not respect my elders. I just don't think I fit in anywhere. The last job I had the manager told me I was a liar and couldn't be trusted because I did not tell the owner I was pregnant on the day they hired me. I didn't tell them until I was 5 months along and I was certain I wasn't going to miscarry as I had the only other time I'd ever been pregnant which was 10 years prior. I told the manager why I withheld that information and she insisted I couldn't be trusted. Both of these bosses were women and I'm not sure if that is the reason or if they were just both very mean people and I was unlucky enough to work for them.

I did attend LLL meetings and the Providence cuddlers and cruisers play groups. I even went to a couple play groups in mom's homes. I am not in contact with any of the people I met through those groups, except one woman who I ocassionally talk to on the phone. We never meet up because of our different socio-economic status. She wants to meet places that require I spend money and would require I have a second vehicle. I am an introvert so it's difficult for me to really get close to people and my lifestyle change of becoming a mom in my 30's was isolating for me as well as having just moved to this state. I also am quite embarrassed to have anyone come to my home. I wouldn't be able to even think about the visitor for fear they are disgusted by my home.
I think you were unfortunate to be surrounded by such awful employers I've worked for some really crappy bosses over the years, that I make a very concerted effort to be a very caring and sympathetic boss now. ((hugs))

I really wouldn't worry so much about the state of your home. I stressed for SO many years that my house wasn't "up to snuff" to have people over, and what I discovered is that every single one of my friends, suffered the same thoughts. We all got over it, and we enjoy the fact that we don't have to run around, tidying up in order to feel comfortable having friends over. I am who I am... if my friends can't love me for my flaws (I'm far from the best housekeeper) then they aren't truly friends... y/k? So I say let go of that fear.... a house is just a house... clutter is just clutter, it really doesn't say anything about you, other than you embrace life more than wasting it tidying up... y/k?

#266 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM

OMG, Karen, I'm remembering when you brought Emma over and I spent days crying because the bedroom they played in had toy bins that hadn't been washed out...It seems a little funny now, but at the time my anxiety level was sky-high.

love, p

#267 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
She wants to meet places that require I spend money and would require I have a second vehicle. I am an introvert so it's difficult for me to really get close to people and my lifestyle change of becoming a mom in my 30's was isolating for me as well as having just moved to this state. I also am quite embarrassed to have anyone come to my home. I wouldn't be able to even think about the visitor for fear they are disgusted by my home.
:

We're in something of a similar situation. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our house. It's odd, it's ours, it's literally wall-to-wall books...But the folks we know don't have big families, don't homeschool, don't live on a budget the way we do.

So while they're thinking, "Hmmm, should I get the new end tables to go with the new couch, or stick with just a glass coffee table?" I'm thinking, "The vacuum died again and we have wood season in front of us. And it's time to give Iris a hammer and nails again so she can pound away into a piece of firewood...and my old flannel-backed vinyl table cloth probably needs a good scrubbing after the last painting session. Oh, and where will we store all the egg cartons and old newspapers this year?"

The folks we know have showcase homes, the kind where they must have house-elves to do the cleaning and cooking and tidying. But they don't have 5 homeschooled kids, who eat, sleep, play, invent, dance, sing, and fight in that space.

I was so intimidated about having people over...we decided to go with BBQs, which works out well in the Autumn especially. Only problem was 15 grown-ups, 20 or so kids, one potty. Ummmm....

love, p

#268 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
OMG, Karen, I'm remembering when you brought Emma over and I spent days crying because the bedroom they played in had toy bins that hadn't been washed out...It seems a little funny now, but at the time my anxiety level was sky-high.

love, p
LOL!

You know... I was thinking of you in particular when I typed part of that post. I remember you being SO apologetic about the state of the book cases and the *gasp* dirt fragments in the toybox... and I sat there thinking "this place is SO comfortable and you can tell people LIVE here" I LOVE being in a home where you aren't afraid you are going to break something, or dirty something... or your child is going to destroy something. I have friends with the showcase as well, and it's agonizing to visit. I'd rather be at my house where they kids can drag out all the bins and have a blast (and quite honestly, probably not make more than a mess than was already there LOL)

I swear... I do pick up the big messes daily, but I've just learned not to sweat the small stuff. If you can't love me for my dusty entertainment center, then so be it

#269 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Okay, So I am just learning about all this bleach being bad stuff. (yeah, I'm a little late in that game)
So tell me, what do you use?

I currently have my cutting board sitting with some hydrogen peroxide on it.
I mostly just use really hot water.
I'm not too worried about cross-contamination because I have two cutting boards (bamboo ones btw...they rock!) One is for raw meat, and the other is for produce, cheese, bread, and other non-raw things (I rarely cut cooked meat on a cutting board--it's usually in the dish--but if I do it goes on that board). Anyway, I took a sharpie and wrote "raw meat only" on the meat board so there's no chance of confusion. As soon as I'm done using it I scrub it with a brush and really hot running water (I have a soap-shall-not-touch-it brush that I also use for my cast iron and it works great).

I do most of my other cleaning with baking soda, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and (as often as not) plain old hot water. I'm a great believer in the cleansing power of HOT water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post

My DH typically takes leftovers, and my DS gets the reduced lunches which are only .40 here and we realized I can't hardly pack them for that price, so he usually just buys his...but I do pack them sometimes. I dont' stress too much about having a balanced meal each day per se, but more about there being balance across the course of the week... He's a real carb-o-holic and not so good with fruits, so I try to have nutrients hidden in carby forms if I can (eg: banana bread, cheese biscuits, etc)
Here's a random list of things I tend to put in:
  • Muffins, rolls, biscuits, crackers, a couple of slices of homemade bread with butter on them, or a sandwich (I usually toast the bread first so it doesn't get soggy)
  • cheese sticks (I cut a pound of sharp cheddar or colby-jack into sticks about the size of string cheese--cheaper than strings and tastes better too...I just drop in 2-3)
  • a bunch of grapes, apple slices (if you slice a whole apple but put the slices back together and then seal them up in a baggie or container then they won't turn brown OR alternate apple and orange slices--the citrus juice will keep the apples from browning )
  • carrots or broccoli with dip (he loves brocc and will eat it plain, but he won't eat the carrots without dip )
  • some nuts, granola, or trail mix
  • sometimes (certainly not daily) I put in something dessertish...a homemade brownie, a couple of cookies, some chips, a little candy of some sort...
  • He likes to just carry a water bottle, but sometimes I give him a can of V-8 cuz he really likes that too and given that he's not great about veggies lately, I figure it's a good thing for him to have.
  • Another favorite snack around here--if you can figure out how to pack it without making a mess--is a "peanut butter spoon" which is exactly what it sounds like: a spoonful of peanut butter.

Quote:
I think a certain amount of isolation is normal to feel after having a baby. I know I felt it after my ds was born and I had lots of family around. What helped me the most was to have a regularly scheduled time to see other mothers...I was very lucky to have a great crunchy-mama playgroup (which expanded to include a monthly crunchy bookclub meeting and sporadic mothers-nights-out where the only kids allowed were nurslings...plus a lot of us went to the local LLL too). Anyway, a lot of the days were long and some of the nights were lonely, but I knew that every wednesday I would see other mamas like me, and that helped a lot. I'm actually trying to figure out how to best go about trying to organize a similar group here in homer right now (katiesk, want in?!) I'm thinking I may post a flier at the midwife/naturopath's office with my phone number on it and just see if I get any takers.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#270 of 271 Old 09-02-2009, 09:41 PM

Someone started the new September thread for us

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page