Alaska chat for August - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 271 Old 08-01-2009, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh my word, where did the summer go!

: for me, I'm flying back home (to our new home in Homer!) in just 4 more days. I can't wait to get out of this hot desert and back to a climate that's actually human-compatable.

So, brief re-intro to me, since I'm kinda newer here still...
I'm Jenni, married to a school teacher, sons ages 9, 2.5, and one due in November. We all started out in the lower 48 but in 2007 we came up to AK and realized it was the home we'd never known we were missing, so we're here to stay. DH taught in Pelican (southeast) for the last two years, but we decided that we wanted to have some more opportunities than a town of 70 could afford, so this year we sought jobs on the road system, and have ended up in Homer. Neither of us has ever been there, so when we get there next week I guess we shall see what we shall see! We're really excited though about having that coastal southeast-ish feel (and the more southerly latitude) while still having a road out of town

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#2 of 271 Old 08-01-2009, 12:59 PM

Brightonwoman! I can't believe you started the new August thread! Aren't you usually the one that says you forgot to look for the new thread?

Awesome!
#3 of 271 Old 08-01-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Brightonwoman! I can't believe you started the new August thread! Aren't you usually the one that says you forgot to look for the new thread?

Awesome!

mmm, yup, that would be me.
But I was just goign along responding on the July thread and it hit me "duh, it's august" so (Being OCD like I am) I made a new thread.

#4 of 271 Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Wow... August... already? I should have realized it though... Hubby has been working on the Christmas display for the last month

Hubby is taking my kiddo to California for TEN DAYS on Wednesday. I'm sick to my stomach I've never been away from her even CLOSE to that long. I will just repeat to myself... I will get through this, I will get through this

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#5 of 271 Old 08-01-2009, 06:01 PM

Well, I guess I can't quote from the old thread and continue the posts in this thread. At least I tried.

Where do I get an exemption form? My daughters have seen Dr. Penman at Providence. I can't say I'm thrilled. He's sweet with the kids, but 'talked' me into a flu vaccine that I was adamantly against the last time I took my girls in for a well child exam. I like the location because they're close to where I live. If we change doctors, I'd need a recommendation from one of you wise mamas, and they'd have to take Denali Kid Care. We are applying for renewal at the moment. We plan to take the girls in after Sophia turns 3 at the end of this month so that would be a good time to establish a new doctor for them. A family doctor would be fine for me, although my husband and I don't have insurance and try to never go to the doctor to avoid the $$$. He still has an unpaid hospital stay hanging over our heads cause he won't get off his butt and take care of it. They said they'd send a form in the mail, but we haven't received it yet. He said he'd call again, but he didn't, and now the hospital is sending us bills again instead of the charity application form. :sigh

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#6 of 271 Old 08-01-2009, 06:37 PM

Katreena, I think there was a link to the state website where you can download the exemption forms. For the religious one, you just sign it and have it notorized.

#7 of 271 Old 08-01-2009, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Here is what was posted before about exemption forms
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
http://www.epi.alaska.gov/pubs/Immun...Manual_v03.pdf

page 37 for a medical exemption
page 38 for a religious exemption

#8 of 271 Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 PM

We don't vaccinate at all. I file a religious exemption each year for DD. We're LCMS-Lutheran so there's nothing religious about not vaxing for us, but it's the only thing available and no one is going to tell me I have to give my kids anything.

As for flu vax, it's too much a crapshoot. I had it one year when I was pregnant with DD and I've never been so sick in my life as I was that winter so we'll never get one again. Swine flu vax, no way. I refuse to have anything to do with something that is rushed to market.

I have oil of oregano and will start DD on a small daily dose the week before school starts. I need to research how much to give her.

Jenn
#9 of 271 Old 08-02-2009, 01:45 AM

Brightonwoman, the one less/fewer thing drives me crazy too! Incorrect grammar an a commercial is so distracting from whatever the commercial is trying to say!!

Well, hubby and I are pretty much falling in love with Alaska and Fairbanks. I'm a little disappointed with all the smoke, and disappointed in how sensitive I am to it while preggo. But everything else is wonderful. People are great, we're FINALLY in family housing on campus (::::: and getting settled, the birth center midwives are wonderful, and Alaska is more beautiful every day.

So glad to be here!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#10 of 271 Old 08-02-2009, 01:54 AM

Oh Sarah, I am so sorry it is so smoky for you. Stay inside when at all possible. This stuff is at dangerous levels. Oh that reminds me, I need to call my doula client and make sure she is staying out of it too. I'm glad you are liking Fairbanks. Just wait till it clears up. It gets so much better!
#11 of 271 Old 08-02-2009, 01:58 AM

I get the feeling that fall is just around the corner, since my strawberry leaves are turning color rapidly. Anyone else think we might be in for an early winter?

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#12 of 271 Old 08-02-2009, 02:08 AM

trees in our yard starting to turn, makes me kind of sad. I hope it's not too early!

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#13 of 271 Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 AM

I dunno. I had a pulse of that winter nesting thing going on today... feeling like I should run around picking things up and tucking things in... It seems AWFULLY early!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#14 of 271 Old 08-02-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
If we change doctors, I'd need a recommendation from one of you wise mamas, and they'd have to take Denali Kid Care.
I've taken DS to see Stephen Baker at the Children's Clinic twice (once for illness once for a well child). I really really liked him. We were with him for the well child visit for nearly an hour. When DS was sick with the runs, he spent nearly an hour as well reviewing diet, a really detailed symptom history etc. He also never batted an eye when I said we were doing delayed/select vax. At the well child, he basically said "let me tell you what he could get and you tell me which ones you want today." No idea how he'd handle a no vax parent - but this is at least a good start in my book. He did ask if I had any specific concerns about a vax and was open to questions. The clinic is at Dale & 40th - so just behind Providence. I don't know about DKC.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#15 of 271 Old 08-02-2009, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

wow, I just updated my signature (going into the third trimester this week so I had to change the icon) and looking at that squished little baby in the pic, yeah, that's probably why I'm feeling smooshed all the time and not sleeping so well anymore, huh. It's amazing how easily one forgets those little details.

#16 of 271 Old 08-02-2009, 05:17 PM

our ped out in Wasilla is very supportive of non vaxing. She asks at well child exams, when I say no thank you, she says "no problem". No attitude, no judging, no nothing. And she takes DKC (not that you want to drive all the way out to Wasilla) Our ND in Anchorage is a definite no vax supporter, but he doesn't take any insurance

#17 of 271 Old 08-02-2009, 06:38 PM

Oh, we should probably find a pediatrician before I have the baby huh?

On that note, anyone recommend someone in Fairbanks? This is our first, so we're still working out our position on selective/no vax, but we're skipping some of the initial stuff (eye goop, vit k) so we seem to be heading down that path. We're on DKC too, and I've heard good things about a free clinic here in Fairbanks that's funded through some state grants or something??

My preggo brain is really clogging up my thoughts here. How do we go about looking for a pediatrician? Do we just call around and see who is on board with our vax preferences, taking DKC, and taking new patients?

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#18 of 271 Old 08-02-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Katreena, I think there was a link to the state website where you can download the exemption forms. For the religious one, you just sign it and have it notorized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Here is what was posted before about exemption forms

oh thanks, I will look at that link. My computer is taking forever to open it...

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#19 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post

On that note, anyone recommend someone in Fairbanks? This is our first, so we're still working out our position on selective/no vax, but we're skipping some of the initial stuff (eye goop, vit k) so we seem to be heading down that path. We're on DKC too, and I've heard good things about a free clinic here in Fairbanks that's funded through some state grants or something??

My preggo brain is really clogging up my thoughts here. How do we go about looking for a pediatrician? Do we just call around and see who is on board with our vax preferences, taking DKC, and taking new patients?
Most of my doula clients use either Dr. Foote or Dr. Shihadeh. Some of them vaccinate and some of them don't. It'll give you a starting place anyways.
#20 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
How do we go about looking for a pediatrician? Do we just call around and see who is on board with our vax preferences, taking DKC, and taking new patients?
I'd start with 1strimesters recommendations (Dr. Foote or Dr. Shihadeh) and call them to set up an interview. I met with a few in Anchorage - they all did initial parent interviews for no charge. I'd assume its standard practice for docs. I then asked for recommendations of other pediatricians or family practice docs from the one I was meeting with - "If you weren't available, who would you recommend in town." I also googled to find lists of questions for interviewing a pediatrician. Good luck. (If your baby is born at a hospital, they'll probably ask for your pediatrician so they can contact him/her once the baby is born for the 1st check-up in the hospital.)

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#21 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Well, I guess I can't quote from the old thread and continue the posts in this thread. At least I tried.

Where do I get an exemption form? My daughters have seen Dr. Penman at Providence. I can't say I'm thrilled. He's sweet with the kids, but 'talked' me into a flu vaccine that I was adamantly against the last time I took my girls in for a well child exam. I like the location because they're close to where I live. If we change doctors, I'd need a recommendation from one of you wise mamas, and they'd have to take Denali Kid Care. We are applying for renewal at the moment. We plan to take the girls in after Sophia turns 3 at the end of this month so that would be a good time to establish a new doctor for them. A family doctor would be fine for me, although my husband and I don't have insurance and try to never go to the doctor to avoid the $$$. He still has an unpaid hospital stay hanging over our heads cause he won't get off his butt and take care of it. They said they'd send a form in the mail, but we haven't received it yet. He said he'd call again, but he didn't, and now the hospital is sending us bills again instead of the charity application form. :sigh
We go to the My Health Clinic off of Abbott, across from the Fred Meyer. It is run by 2 NP's. They are super awesome and they take Tricare so I assume they also take DKC. They do our whole family and have never pushed anything on us. This year I have a 15 year old Daughter who needs a "woman's exam" very soon and I will be discussing some shots like Tetanus and stuff with them.
They handle my DH's Type 1 diabetes and my son's Hypothyroidism (sp?). I would go there for pregnancy too if they do that sort of thing. It is LONG way from home but I like them so the drive is worth it!

LOL!! I just realized you are in FAIRBANKS!!

I do recommend Janice Stables NP. Her office is in the building next to Wendy's on Airport. I think PP is in that same building.
#22 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post

As for flu vax, it's too much a crapshoot. I had it one year when I was pregnant with DD and I've never been so sick in my life as I was that winter so we'll never get one again. Swine flu vax, no way. I refuse to have anything to do with something that is rushed to market.

Jenn

Interesting, I have heard many stories like yours.
My DH got the flu shot in 1994 and was soo sick, very very sick. 1 year later he was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 22. He pancreas had shut down do to an autoimmune issue, we believe it was triggered by the flu he had that past year. (DH never gets sick)

We have not had any flu shot since 1994.
#23 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 03:15 AM

It's AUGUST!!??! I dunno whether to : or

On the one hand; sweaters! gorgeous fall colors! that crisp, clean smell and the chill of the morning... termination dust!

And on the other... wah. Summer's...almost...over... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
I dunno. I had a pulse of that winter nesting thing going on today... feeling like I should run around picking things up and tucking things in... It seems AWFULLY early!
Me too, me too! I've had these fleeting moments of pause, thinking, "not too much longer for my hanging baskets..." ACK.

And then we had another gorgeous and warm weekend, so what am I thinking? :

Anyway. Just here to subscribe. Can't believe it's time to register the kids for school. All of my friends who wanted their kids to get into Rilke did, so :

And with that, I think I've met my smilie quota. I'm so outta here.
#24 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post

I have oil of oregano and will start DD on a small daily dose the week before school starts. I need to research how much to give her.

Jenn
Tell me more about OoO? I've heard of it, but wouldn't know how to use it/what for...? Just immunity boosting?
#25 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 AM

Quote:

FYI, I had to sign a bunch of stuff at FMH so that Camilla wouldn't get all the goop/k/vax/etc when she was born. And I had to tell everyone involved that I didn't want any of that stuff, b/c I didn't want any info falling through the cracks. Just in case you have to transfer, that's why I mention what I went through.

We take our son to Dr. Tim Foote or Dr. M Burgeson, both at Tanana Valley Clinic. Our daughter hasn't had anything done except the heel pokey thing; she's almost 6 mos old and we're doing selective/delayed vax, and will eventually take her to Foote or Burgeson as well. (Now that I think about it, I'm sure DH will want to start her delayed vax's soon-ish... making mental note to schedule something tomorrow.)

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#26 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 12:18 PM

I take my toddler to Darcy Lucey at Mat-Su Midwifery. In fact she's getting her 2 year WBV today.

It was 46 degrees IN my greenhouse this morning... a likely 36 outside overnight. Gardeners beware... On the brightside, cranberries should be ready early and rose hips too!!

#27 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
Tell me more about OoO? I've heard of it, but wouldn't know how to use it/what for...? Just immunity boosting?
I've never heard of it for immunity boosting, but then again, I didn't research it for that. I've been taking it to try and combat my fibromyalgia. From what I've read, fibromyalgia can be caused by yeast overgrowth (or at least can be a contributing factor) so I've been taking it for a couple of months to see if it will help keep the pain at bay. So far... nothing extraordinary to report.

I can confirm that if I ever were to taste donkey butt... I'm certain, this would taste very similar.

#28 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM

I don't want summer to be over yet!! I think we're going to go for a picnic today. Guess I should get moving if that's going to happen!

Gardening news: I've got blossoms on my pea and bean plants so hopefully we'll have some of those soon. Do those plants withstand the first few frosts? I remember last year my lettuce made it through a few frosts but almost everything else was gone after the first frost. Broccoli and cauliflower, do they make it? I still have strawberries ripening. It seems so late for them to still be ripening.... is that normal?

I asked at the end of the July thread but I think it got lost as we started over here in August.... but can someone tell me who they use for pediatricians here in the valley? (PM if you can't say in the thread, i'm not sure of the rules concerning that) My dd's ped is okay... actually she's great about the medical stuff... but I was hoping to find someone a bit more AP, all natural friendly if you know what I mean.

Becky
#29 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
I take my toddler to Darcy Lucey at Mat-Su Midwifery. In fact she's getting her 2 year WBV today.

It was 46 degrees IN my greenhouse this morning... a likely 36 outside overnight. Gardeners beware... On the brightside, cranberries should be ready early and rose hips too!!
When did your dd turn two? My dd's turning 2 in September. One of our good friend's dd turned two yesterday and sees someone at the midwifery too and she raves about how great it is there.

Becky
#30 of 271 Old 08-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Hi Katreena, I was surprised to hear that about Penman. My boys have seen him since birth, my 2ds only had hib/Pheumococal at his recommendation because we traveled cross country at 2 months old. We just went in for his 2yr check and I told him I was open to talking about selective vaxing now and he said not to worry about it. He was happy with where he was and has never 2nd guessed me about not doing flu shots.

Also, quick intro, Hi ladies! My Names Richelle and I'm new to the board and so excited to have found you all!

Crazybusywahm to 2 wildboys & hoping for a babe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page