Alaska Chat for September - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 237 Old 09-13-2009, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go Paula JoAnne! Come on baby... stick with us! You can do it!!! :

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 237 Old 09-13-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Now, if anyone can figure out how I can get my yeasty gluten free bread to not collapse when i take it out of the oven, I'm all ears. I like the taste of this one bread, but it always collapses. We still use it, but it's hard to cut the cheese to fit when the sides are 3-4 inches tall and the middle is only 2 inches tall.
I discovered that my gluten free/dairy free bread was falling because there was too much liquid in it. The dough has to be much thicker than it appears in by the recipe ingredients. Have you tried reducing the liquid you add?

Added: Whoops! If I had read further I would have seen you've already tried this. (Sometimes I have to post before I forget what I was thinking. ) Gluten free bread is sooo hard!
#123 of 237 Old 09-13-2009, 11:42 PM

This website: http://www.carseatsak.org/Links/inde...ion=BoosterLaw says that the new law will go into effect on Thursday. So that's a little more time for people. But really they need to be making this very well known. Reading it here is the first I've heard of this new law. Although I thought it was already the law quite honestly... but my dd is only 1 so I wasn't too worried about it at this point.

Becky
#124 of 237 Old 09-13-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Pyrah's is 1-7pm next Sat.

We also love the Tuesday Night Race series. Huge community event--kids have a ball.
Where is the tues night race series and what is it all about? I've never heard of it.

Are there any other places with pumpkin patches were kids can pick their own pumpkins?

Becky
#125 of 237 Old 09-13-2009, 11:48 PM

Here's the entire safety seat law: http://www.carseatsak.org/Links/inde...tion=AlaskaLaw

To me it sounds like if they're over 8, it's recommended but not required (if they're under the height or weight limit). If they're under 8 and under the height or weight limit, they're required to be in a booster.

Becky
#126 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the heads-up on E's age. I'm braindead today.

Ever have one of those days you *SET ASIDE* just to stay home and get some housework done? Ever have those days infiltrated by fifty things to do outside the house? Grrr.

I meant to give my room the kind of cleaning I gave the rest of the downstairs, and all I got done was the armoir w/ the TV in it...at least I have about three boxes of movies to get rid of!

I loathe making plans to get chores done on a certain day for just this reason.

A. went to her boyfriend's bday party last night and very probably has a broken nose now...they were all playing hide-and-seek in the dark, and someone jumped off a garage freezer onto A's face. We ran into her karate master in Fred's right after the party, and he was hard pressed not to laugh...hour after hour in Tang Soo Do, sparring, kicking, running, etc., and she goes to a birthday party and gets her face all bruised up.

Hope everyone is enjoying the autumn. It's my favorite season. Not enough thunderstorms yet, though.

Karen, I'm sorry you and Emma have been ill. Hopefully you got the easy virus and now you're done!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#127 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 AM

Okay, now I'm re-re-re-reading this part:

"If your child is younger than eight, less than 65 pounds, or under 4 feet, 9 inches in height, the child must be in a child safety seat to ride in your car. "

And I'm seeing that if they are any of those things (under 8, OR if they are under 65 lbs, OR if they are below 4 foot 9), they must be in a car seat.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's meant to work, because the lady in the article talks about how seat belts aren't made for people under 4'9", etc.

So E does not meet the requirements, in my reading. Isn't one of our mamas a CPST?

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#128 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 01:01 AM

Okay, never mind, the Alaska Child Passenger SAfety site says this:

CHILDREN OVER 4YRS OLD AND UNDER 8 YRS OLD (WHO ARE UNDER 4'9" OR LESS THAN 65 LBS.) SHALL BE PROPERLY RESTRAINED IN AN APPROVED BOOSTER SEAT OR CAR SEAT.

The wording there is much simpler. Sorry to babble on and on.

love, p

#129 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 02:26 AM

Hard to understand article regarding child restraints. This is from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx

Quote:
4 through 7 years who are at least 57 inches or 65+ pounds; 7 through 15 who are shorter than 57 inches or weigh less than 65 pounds (effective 09/15/09)
So it looks like you kids in a restraint until they are 15 if they skinny and/or short. My best friend in high school and my SIL are just 4'9" - they would have to be in a booster until they were old enough to drive - odd. Both drive with pedal extensions though.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#130 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaJoAnne View Post
4 weeks today (past lmp) and I am actually feeling yuckier then ever:
Dizzy, nauseous, urpy, etc.
Today is always the day that I start bleeding, but its always preceeded by 2-3 days of symptom loss.

And, I think I need 2 large caution signs, one for each side of my chest.
You touch, you die!!!!!!
Ah the irony of being excited about being morning sick. :
hopin for
And I hear ya on the tender bust...I was so worried about this time because I was still breastfeeding when I became pregnant...turns out it wasn't a problem at all until I weaned. Now if anybody touches they are tender. Go figure.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#131 of 237 Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM

So, I heard that all the schools showed the president's speech. Any thoughts on it? Did anyone go and watch it with their children?
#132 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 01:52 AM

No sticky again. Started feeling the little contractions come and go about 6:45 pm. Had no warning this time.
Then on top of that, I twisted my knee again
So, I took some Advil, and dh is running to the store to get me some Ben and Jerry's, and we are going to curl up and lose ourselves in a good movie.

I'm so glad we did not tell anyone in real life this time.
Makes it easier I think.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#133 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 AM

PaulaJoAnne

#134 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 02:38 AM

I'm so sorry, PaulaJoAnne.
#135 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 02:40 AM

I'm sorry

Becky
#136 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
So, I heard that all the schools showed the president's speech. Any thoughts on it? Did anyone go and watch it with their children?
None my kids saw it. Rilke Schule, Central, Bartlett in Anchorage.
#137 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 AM

OMgosh, PaulaAnn!!

I'm so sorry.

{{{HUGS}}}
#138 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Okay, now I'm re-re-re-reading this part:

"If your child is younger than eight, less than 65 pounds, or under 4 feet, 9 inches in height, the child must be in a child safety seat to ride in your car. "

And I'm seeing that if they are any of those things (under 8, OR if they are under 65 lbs, OR if they are below 4 foot 9), they must be in a car seat.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's meant to work, because the lady in the article talks about how seat belts aren't made for people under 4'9", etc.

So E does not meet the requirements, in my reading. Isn't one of our mamas a CPST?

love, p
Well none of those helped! I'm still confused!
I read it as you have to hit all 3 marks to pass into a seat belt, DH reads it as you only have to hit one.

My son is 9, 76 pounds and 50 inches. So??? Good Luck getting him into a car seat!
#139 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
So, I heard that all the schools showed the president's speech. Any thoughts on it?
I saw at least one child who had "opted out" left in a room where it was "running"... now the speech kept freezing, as the "live" feed wasn't really working, but if I were that parent, someone's head would have rolled. Not cool.
#140 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 01:21 PM

PaulaJoAnne
#141 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Paula

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#142 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmommyak View Post
Here's the entire safety seat law: http://www.carseatsak.org/Links/inde...tion=AlaskaLaw

To me it sounds like if they're over 8, it's recommended but not required (if they're under the height or weight limit). If they're under 8 and under the height or weight limit, they're required to be in a booster.

I looked at your link and this is what I get too.

Here is a good one from that link.....

Quote:
If your child turns eight years old and you are not sure if he/she is ready for using a seat belt alone - try The 5 Step Booster Test:

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
Yes, I do
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the front edge of the auto seat?
Depends on the vehicle but sometimes my legs are too short to do this
3. Does the shoulder belt cross between the shoulder and neck?
Never, even in cars with adjustable height controls on the shoulder belts, they always hit me at the neck. I'm 5'4"
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
I guess so
5. Can the child stay seated comfortably like this for the entire trip?
No, because that dang shoulder strap digs into my neck.

IF YOU ANSWER "NO" TO ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS, YOUR CHLD NEEDS A BOOSTER SEAT TO RIDE SAFLY IN THE CAR.
Does this mean I should be in a booster seat too??
#143 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
No sticky again. Started feeling the little contractions come and go about 6:45 pm. Had no warning this time.
So, I took some Advil, and dh is running to the store to get me some Ben and Jerry's, and we are going to curl up and lose ourselves in a good movie.

Makes it easier I think.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#144 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 PM

Now they've put a ridiculous article in the FDNM, saying that the law says that after FOUR years of age the driver gets to choose whether or not to use a booster! I get so danged frustrated w/ the News Miner...it's ridiculous how many mistakes in editing are made when these people are PAID TO REPORT!

I still read the "or" as meaning I'm liable for a fine until E gains a few lbs *and* grows a bit.

Sigh.

love, p

#145 of 237 Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Now they've put a ridiculous article in the FDNM, saying that the law says that after FOUR years of age the driver gets to choose whether or not to use a booster! I get so danged frustrated w/ the News Miner...it's ridiculous how many mistakes in editing are made when these people are PAID TO REPORT!

I still read the "or" as meaning I'm liable for a fine until E gains a few lbs *and* grows a bit.

Sigh.

love, p
I agree P, that it is confusing! Especially when it is written so differently so many different times!

Here is the part that pertains to the kids over 8 from the link listed above.

Quote:
(5) eight years of age [FOR A CHILD SAFETY DEVICE FOR INFANTS. IF THE CHILD IS FOUR] but less than [NOT YET] 16 years of age who does not exceed the height and weight requirements in (3) of this subsection [, THE CHILD] shall be properly secured in a child safety device approved for a child of that [AGE AND] size by the United States Department of Transportation or in a safety belt, whichever is appropriate for the particular child as determined solely by the driver.
ADN today says this

Quote:
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Some state rules for child restraints in cars have changed

Under the law taking effect Tuesday, most children between the ages of 4 and 8 must be in a booster seat.

The driver can decide whether to use a car seat or seat belt for most children older than 4 or over 65 pounds or taller than 4-feet-9 inches.

The Anchorage Daily News reports anyone older than 8 must at least wear a seat belt.

The fine for an adult not wearing a seat belt is $15. Violating the child safety-seat law can result in a fine up to $50.
#146 of 237 Old 09-16-2009, 04:31 AM

Good News ladies!

I wrote to APD and got a wonderful email back that really clarified the Booster Seat law.

I cannot cut and paste it from my MAC, seems something is not compatalbe and it messed up.
But I will happily email it to anyone that asked. I'll also try again tomorrow to paste it here from a different computer.

It basically says that kids over 8 are fine in a seat belt even if they are under weight or under the height requirement. Their restraint is up to the DRIVER's discretion.
Kids under 8 must be over 67lbs or over 57 inches to be out of a booster seat.

My email is [email protected]
#147 of 237 Old 09-16-2009, 02:42 PM

From APD
Quote:
Q. Who should use a booster seat and how are they used?
A: Once children outgrow their forward-facing seat (usually around age 4 and 40 pounds), they should ride in booster seats, in the back seat, until the vehicle seat belts fit properly. All booster seats must be used with a lap/shoulder seatbelt. Booster seats lift a child up allowing the lap belt to fit low and snug across the upper thighs and the shoulder belt to fit snug across the chest to provide the necessary protection in a crash. Most children need a booster until about 8 years of age and 4’9” tall.
Q. What are the consequences of not using a booster under AS 28.05.099?
A: “A person convicted of a violation of AS 28.05.095 (b) is guilty of an infraction, and may be fined up to $50. The person may also be assessed demerit points as determined by regulations of the department, notwithstanding the provisions of AS 28.15.231 (b). A person who violates AS 28.05.095 (b) by failing to provide a child safety device or safety belt may provide a peace officer, including a village safety officer, proof of purchase or acquisition, and installation, of an approved child safety device or safety belt. If the proof is provided within 30 days after the issuance of a citation for the infraction, the court shall dismiss the citation and no points shall be assessed under this subsection unless the person has
(1) been convicted previously for violating AS 28.05.095 by failing to provide a child safety device or safety belt;
(2) been cited for failure to provide a child safety device or safety belt and has forfeited the bail required by the citation; or
(3) provided proof under this subsection on a prior occasion.”
The law of physics is not as kind. A child that should be in a booster but is instead seated in only a seat belt, can suffer death or serious injury in a crash. Injuries associated with poor seat belt fit include ejection, internal injuries including serious abdominal, and spinal damage.
Q. Should I use a high back or no-back booster?
A: No-back boosters, which do not have a back, may only be used in vehicles with a head rest or a seat back that comes above your child’s ears when s/he is sitting in the booster.
High back boosters can be used in vehicles with or without headrests
Q. What if my child is 9 years old, but only 4 feet 6 inches tall (or shorter)? Under the law would s/he be able to be seated with just a seat belt?
A:: If your child is between 8 and 16 years of age “then the child shall be
properly secured in a child safety device approved for a child of age and size by the United States DOT or in a safety belt, whichever is appropriate for the particular child as determined solely by the driver”
However the best safety practice would be to keep them in a booster until they can safely fit in a lap shoulder seatbelt using the 5-step test. Please see the next Q&A
Q. What are the best practice recommendations to keep my child safe?
A: *Children should ride in a child safety seat with a harness as long as possible, usually 40 pounds. If the child safety seats are rated to higher weights with the harness, then the child should continue to use the seat with the harness.
The 5-Step Test. Children over 40 pounds should use a booster until the answer to all of these questions is yes:

Does the child sit all the way back against the vehicle seat?

Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?

Does the belt cross the collarbone between the neck and arm?

Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the hips and thighs?

Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?
*Adapted from Partners for Child Passenger Safety and Safety Belt Safe USA.
Q. Where can I learn more about Alaska’s new requirements regarding booster seats?
State of AK, Office of Highway Safety 465-5642
State of AK, Division of Public Health, 269-5221
Injury Prevention & EMS (IPEMS)
AK Injury Prevention Center 929-3939
Safe Kids–AK (Anchorage) 212-3194
Safe Kids-Kenai 714-4539
Safe Kids-Fairbanks 458-7233
Safe Kids-Mat-Su 352-1229
Safe Kids South Peninsula (Homer) 235-7712
Juneau Police Dept 586-0612
#148 of 237 Old 09-16-2009, 07:08 PM

Thanks, Tammy.

On another note, let's talk winter stuff.

Do you put away toys and games *just* for winter inside days? Do you have crafts or movies or things you only do when it's super cold? What do you do differently in the winter with your kids (aside from winter sports)?

With kids from 3-16 yo at home, I'm trying to round up more awesome ideas for inside stuff...not just, "Get back to your homework!" yk? Any ideas specifically for the colder months would be appreciated.

Right now, what I can remember that has worked well:

Needlefelting

Art classes on video (we use Atelier), but this is very mom-intensive and often involves paint, which isn't such a big deal unless you have a 3 year old!

Lots and lots and lots of reading

Dress up

Doll houses, Legos, MegaBlox, K'Nex, Magnetix

Books on CD while they do a handwork project

"Shipwreck" (a game they play in karate that they really like playing at home, too)

Ropes and knots

String games

Chess

Many, many board games and card games

We're tearing our garden out this week and prepping for winter. Firing up the wood stove tonight, as well.

A. is receiving an award at Youth Court tonight, although she doesn't know it. I'm so proud of both the girls for their hard work!

Rabrog, I don't know if you have an older kid in TSD (I think your eldest is an orange belt, correct?) but Orange belt testing is this Friday at 5pm (maybe 5:30, can't remember which). So if s/he needs a white stripe, it's testing time! Or if s/he has a white stripe, time to test up.

If your eldest is a Little Dragon, never mind.

love, p

#149 of 237 Old 09-16-2009, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Makes it easier I think.

I'm SO very, very sorry

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#150 of 237 Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

About this car seat thing... am I the only one that reads that a child safety seat is to include a booster seat? I seriously thought the booster seat thing was already a law. Am I wrong that they don't have to be in a Car Seat??? There are only a couple of manufacturers that even rate car seats for up to 65 pounds (I know... because we paid almost 300 bucks for it). I read the article and just assumed it meant the booster (which like I said, I thought was already a law).

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page