Alaska Chat for September - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2009, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
We're not in the village anymore. We're in Bethel now. New job (district office), new apartment, new town... we're figuring it out.
oh hey! how do you like bethel? i was just there a few weeks ago...it was nice to visit. and the district office; i have some friends that work there!

hope you're liking your new home and acclimating from life in the vil.

how is your kiddo? dd would have loved to have a friend to play with when we were in bethel. none of my friends have kids her age...

Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 PM

Isaac is doing well. I actually know a few people with kids his age, but haven't really hooked up with any of them outside of a work setting. Everyone kind of has their social circle, you know? I think it'll take a while. Most of the people we know well don't have kids.

We're liking it, so far. Apartment is all right, job is all right, everything's all right.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Where is everyone? It's been awfully quiet the last couple of days. Nothing really going on here. Just schoolwork, housework, usual kid stuff -- games, reading, etc. Oh, and trying to figure why the car wouldn't start. Luckily it was easily fixed. I am really missing Alaska, though. We are still in the 90's down here and there is nothing green to change colors, so no real autumn season. I have yet to figure out why anyone would chose to live here.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 PM

...slushy rain...

I'm cold

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 09-22-2009, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We got snow, snow, snow! The kids are demanding I get the boxes of gloves out, and W spent last night knitting a scarf.

I love snow!

P

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 09-23-2009, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
We got snow, snow, snow! The kids are demanding I get the boxes of gloves out, and W spent last night knitting a scarf.

I love snow!

P
YES Me, too!!! I am so excited! It was great running w/the kids today looking up at the massive snowy mountains & feeling that nip in the air.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 AM

I'm glad the board has been a little quiet, I haven't had much time to keep up with it, it's nice to not have TOO much reading to do!

The snow is pretty exciting, and a little intimidating. My first Alaskan winter is starting!

We also bought tickets for Christmas time today. I'm working remotely and DH is working/attending UAF so our winter vacation is going to be three weeks long and shouldn't actually affect our finances at all (assuming the company I work for is still in business).

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 PM

How's that baby girl, Sarah?

I went with the Barnette kinders to Calypso Farms yesterday. They were all excited about the snow. They got to do flower pounding, tie dying with dye made from marigolds, harvested parsnips and broccoli and got to see a bee hive.

Jenn
Old 09-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Did anyone catch what this year's pfd will be? I heard the governor was making an announcement that was aired on the 5 o'clock news, but I was late turning on the tv.

ETA:

NVM, I might have missed the news, but I still found this.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 09-24-2009, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
K, I can't get into the ADN because I don't want to register with them, but the URL said $1,305. Is that right?

Glad to be getting a few bucks to pay for A's contacts...she really is looking at another eye surgery soon, probably. Farsightedness sucks.

E. passed his last challenge on his brown belt tonight. He tests for his white stripe next week. M passed his white stripe test on his orange belt last week, A. tests for her white strip on her red belt next week, Iris is having a blast in Teeeny Tigers, and W is loving high school swim season.

Me, I'm ready for another nap.

Love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 09-24-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post
How's that baby girl, Sarah?

I went with the Barnette kinders to Calypso Farms yesterday. They were all excited about the snow. They got to do flower pounding, tie dying with dye made from marigolds, harvested parsnips and broccoli and got to see a bee hive.

Jenn
She's great! I've got some new pictures up if you want to look.

We're even getting the hang of nursing and starting to work through some of our problems. Buying a pacifier this weekend seems to have really helped. I was surprised, and we were both nervous about introducing it so young but I couldn't let her comfort nurse all day anymore. Since we bought it she still nurses 14 (!!!!) times a day and she's gaining about an ounce per day so I think we're pretty safe.

I have to admit, I had no idea a newborn could nurse every hour and a half, and I had no idea that one could nurse for an hour and a half! I just wish she'd been born in January when I wouldn't mind being cooped up for a few weeks!

Thanks for asking!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:10 AM

Sarah, She is so cute! yes, those are things I never understood with breastfeeding my first time around either! I wish someone would have told me! LOL

She is doing great! You're an amazing mom and I think her dad looks like he is head over heels!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
K, I can't get into the ADN because I don't want to register with them, but the URL said $1,305. Is that right?
Yup.

I get to buy one fun thing, the rest will go towards a trip to WI for Christmas.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:51 AM

Sarah, I love that one about her eating daddy's face. lol So cute! She looks like she doesn't miss much when she's awake.

I am very excited about the pfd. Hopefully we can pay off some debt. I can't figure out why the military doesn't give us COLA down here. Our expenses here are just as high as in Alaska, but without that COLA we are running paycheck to paycheck down to the last penny. It is sooooo frustrating, especially as Autumn's birthday is Monday and we were hoping that we could go out for a girl's day and get our nails done -- at least nail polish. So, if anyone has some awesome ideas for cutting a grocery bill that is already pretty close, please share. Would be easier if we didn't have milk and wheat sensitivities in this house. Sorry, don't mean to moan, but it is just frustrating because we were finally getting stuff paid down and now we're back to minimum payments.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Sarah, I love that one about her eating daddy's face. lol So cute! She looks like she doesn't miss much when she's awake.

I am very excited about the pfd. Hopefully we can pay off some debt. I can't figure out why the military doesn't give us COLA down here. Our expenses here are just as high as in Alaska, but without that COLA we are running paycheck to paycheck down to the last penny. It is sooooo frustrating, especially as Autumn's birthday is Monday and we were hoping that we could go out for a girl's day and get our nails done -- at least nail polish. So, if anyone has some awesome ideas for cutting a grocery bill that is already pretty close, please share. Would be easier if we didn't have milk and wheat sensitivities in this house. Sorry, don't mean to moan, but it is just frustrating because we were finally getting stuff paid down and now we're back to minimum payments.
I agree. There are many places in the US that have just as high of cost of living as we do here in AK. All the cool places anyway! LOL
I dont really have any tips you probably dont already know.
Farmer's Markets,
Grow your own
bulk, (costco,sams)
cook from scratch
Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Glad to be getting a few bucks to pay for A's contacts...she really is looking at another eye surgery soon, probably. Farsightedness sucks.

Love, p
I never registered with ADN so that's weird. But yes, $1305.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Yup.

I get to buy one fun thing, the rest will go towards a trip to WI for Christmas.
We plan to pay off our car loan ($4000). I normally put our daughter's into a cd for them. This will be the first time I let my husband talk me into using theirs plus ours to pay off a bill. Good news.... providence charity is covering 100% of my husband's hospital stay in April, but on the backside of the approval letter was a bill for ~$2000 for when he went to the ER in Nov 2008. The approval letter says it includes any charges through Dec 31st, 2009. My husband still has to repair the hole in our roof from when that tree fell through it in January. He's such a slacker. He was going to today, but was called into work. It's always something that comes up. The landlord raised our rent, and just received a letter saying that if anyone calls about frozen pipes, they will be charged $50 service fee, even though the landlord says one person with improperly fitting skirting can make their neighbors pipes freeze. I hate living here. They still haven't cut down that cottonwood tree against the back of our house... the one whose top was blown off and landed on our roof in January. They said they would be cutting them down because they are a hazard. Every time either my husband or I have brought it up, they say it's on their to do list but other maintenance issues are a priority.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 09-25-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
I never registered with ADN so that's weird. But yes, $1305.

We plan to pay off our car loan ($4000). I normally put our daughter's into a cd for them. This will be the first time I let my husband talk me into using theirs plus ours to pay off a bill. Good news.... providence charity is covering 100% of my husband's hospital stay in April, but on the backside of the approval letter was a bill for ~$2000 for when he went to the ER in Nov 2008. The approval letter says it includes any charges through Dec 31st, 2009. My husband still has to repair the hole in our roof from when that tree fell through it in January. He's such a slacker. He was going to today, but was called into work. It's always something that comes up. The landlord raised our rent, and just received a letter saying that if anyone calls about frozen pipes, they will be charged $50 service fee, even though the landlord says one person with improperly fitting skirting can make their neighbors pipes freeze. I hate living here. They still haven't cut down that cottonwood tree against the back of our house... the one whose top was blown off and landed on our roof in January. They said they would be cutting them down because they are a hazard. Every time either my husband or I have brought it up, they say it's on their to do list but other maintenance issues are a priority.
Is there any kind of housing authority you can speak with? You are technically renting so you should have a legal leg to stand on if your landlord sucks butt and is not doing his job properly!
That totally sucks. I'm sorry.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 PM

Old 09-26-2009, 12:20 AM

Anyone have cookie dough fundraisers they've worked with that are awesome? Barnette is working with a gal out of Anchorage and it's awful. We'll do it this year (if she comes through) since it's so close to starting but I'm looking for options to present at the next meeting for next year. Cannot tell you how ticked off I am......

Jenn
Old 09-26-2009, 05:58 PM

My mom called about a half hour ago to tell me she is coming into town. She has a hair appointment at noon. She installed her carseats in her car so she can take me, my girls and my husband's 12 year old son somewhere today. It's rainy outside, otherwise I'd have us go to a park. The rain isn't so bad, just that Sophia would get freezing cold in no time at all once she got wet, and she'd get wet fast. The only thing I thought I could do is see if the Fred Meyer in town has that play area that Eagle River has so the girls can play in there while I browse casually around the store with my mom, but I don't know if the Fred Meyer here has a play area. Besides, that doesn't give Johnathan anything fun to do. Does anyone have any quick suggestions? I'm not the most spontaneous person so this offer leaves me a bit blank on ideas.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

I really want to know why mothering keeps me subscribed on threads that I've taken myself off of (and are 3 years old now) and keeps sending me updates, but dumps my updates for this thread EVERY.SINGLE.MONTH. Grrrrrrr Seriously, If I don't see an update in my inbox, I forget about it. My brain is mush!

It's been a horrendous few weeks for me. Lots of family upheaval, tons of stress and then a car accident on Monday. Thankfully the kid (who didn't have a license) was driving his mom's car that was insured, but our business vehicle is down for the count with almost 5k in damage. All the while, my husband was in California, yet again. So everything fell onto me, who was already stressed to the max. Thankfully he's coming home tomorrow and I'd love nothing more than to tag team him in the airport to hand off our daughter and take a few weeks to myself, just to relax and unwind. Oh well, it sounded good in theory anyway.

It's feeling like it's *this close* to snowing today.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
My mom called about a half hour ago to tell me she is coming into town. She has a hair appointment at noon. She installed her carseats in her car so she can take me, my girls and my husband's 12 year old son somewhere today. It's rainy outside, otherwise I'd have us go to a park. The rain isn't so bad, just that Sophia would get freezing cold in no time at all once she got wet, and she'd get wet fast. The only thing I thought I could do is see if the Fred Meyer in town has that play area that Eagle River has so the girls can play in there while I browse casually around the store with my mom, but I don't know if the Fred Meyer here has a play area. Besides, that doesn't give Johnathan anything fun to do. Does anyone have any quick suggestions? I'm not the most spontaneous person so this offer leaves me a bit blank on ideas.
little late now, but I'm pretty sure all the Fred meyers have playlands
Old 09-27-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
little late now, but I'm pretty sure all the Fred meyers have playlands
Hehe, it's okay. I called all of them. The only Fred Meyer in Anchorage that has a playland is the one way down on Dimond and my mom understandably didn't want to drive way down there. We ended up staying at my house, as usual, talking, playing, coloring, working on these preschool/kindergarten books my girls play with every day, while Johnathan enjoyed coloring in his more detailed coloring book. Then we watched a couple Dr. Seuss beginner book videos we got off freecycle... The Lorax, Fox in Socks, The Sneetches, etc.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
I really want to know why mothering keeps me subscribed on threads that I've taken myself off of (and are 3 years old now) and keeps sending me updates, but dumps my updates for this thread EVERY.SINGLE.MONTH. Grrrrrrr Seriously, If I don't see an update in my inbox, I forget about it. My brain is mush!

It's been a horrendous few weeks for me. Lots of family upheaval, tons of stress and then a car accident on Monday. Thankfully the kid (who didn't have a license) was driving his mom's car that was insured, but our business vehicle is down for the count with almost 5k in damage. All the while, my husband was in California, yet again. So everything fell onto me, who was already stressed to the max. Thankfully he's coming home tomorrow and I'd love nothing more than to tag team him in the airport to hand off our daughter and take a few weeks to myself, just to relax and unwind. Oh well, it sounded good in theory anyway.

It's feeling like it's *this close* to snowing today.
Well, about the subbing, it is technically a new thread every month, so you do have to sub to each new one. I don't know why you get email updates. I don't get any, I just log into my User CP and read threads that have new posts.

Was your car paid off already, or can you use your GAP insurance? I'm afraid that is the only thing I'll be worrying about when we use this year's PFD to pay off our van loan... no more GAP insurance. Then if our van is totaled, we'll have nothing.

I sure hope it doesn't snow before my husband fixes the roof. He's off work today. He's on his computer playing WoW saying that he's just waiting a bit to see if it warms up a little like it did yesterday. But, he has to take his son back at 4:30, right in the middle of the day, so if he doesn't start on the roof soon, he'll have to wait til after, and by then, I'm sure he'll have come up with some other excuse... like, it's too late, I'm too tired now, oh look, a flying saucer!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, about the subbing, it is technically a new thread every month, so you do have to sub to each new one. I don't know why you get email updates. I don't get any, I just log into my User CP and read threads that have new posts.

Was your car paid off already, or can you use your GAP insurance? I'm afraid that is the only thing I'll be worrying about when we use this year's PFD to pay off our van loan... no more GAP insurance. Then if our van is totaled, we'll have nothing.

I sure hope it doesn't snow before my husband fixes the roof. He's off work today. He's on his computer playing WoW saying that he's just waiting a bit to see if it warms up a little like it did yesterday. But, he has to take his son back at 4:30, right in the middle of the day, so if he doesn't start on the roof soon, he'll have to wait til after, and by then, I'm sure he'll have come up with some other excuse... like, it's too late, I'm too tired now, oh look, a flying saucer!
I sub every month... and it will send me email reminders for a couple of weeks and then nothing. Yet, I still get updates from a thread that I've unsubscribed to at least 4 times and haven't participated on in 3 years LOL.

Thankfully the truck still books quite high (some advantage for the obscene amount they charge for these things) and it's only a couple of years old, so we have no worries as far as losing anything on it. The kids' moms insurance company will pay the 5k and we'll get it fixed. They are even going to cover a rental for a van or full size SUV because we need something quite large to haul our inventory. As accidents go, we were very blessed that no one was hurt, and he had coverage. It could have been so much worse.

My hubby got home today I can finally relax a bit!

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 PM

I think the email updates have to do with you visiting mothering.. because as long as I visit the website SOMEWHERE, then I will get updates to the threads I am subscribed to whether I check on them directly or not... but if I don't come back for a while, then I don't get any more email updates and specific threads can be pages longer than the last email update I got.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:55 PM

I think I will try out this Subbing thing!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:53 PM

Hey ANC mamas, just out of curiosity, can you think of a good pediatrician or family doc there? Ours is OK for what we use him for (a "pediatrician of record" in case Ike gets sick and we have to go in), and we have a provider here in Bethel, but I'm always on the lookout for someone a bit more... um... relaxed, but still willing to work with us from afar (our current pediatrician is GREAT at helping from a distance).

Old 09-28-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:

My husband patched the roof yesterday.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
My husband patched the roof yesterday.
OH that is a cause for a celebration!!!

User Tag List