#211 of 237 Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
My husband patched the roof yesterday.
Wahoo!!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#212 of 237 Old 09-29-2009, 02:44 AM

H1N1 Vaccination Information!!!!

Quote:
1. The CDC recommends all pregnant women receive the vaccine. (Okay, we all knew that.)

2. If women choose to follow this recommendation, they need to avoid the live attenuated virus (nasal spray). It can infect the fetus and cause damage to the fetus or miscarriage. Any woman who is engaging in unprotected sex or trying to conceive needs to avoid it as well. The CDC is not educating the public on this point. Spread the word!

3. The vaccine has not been tested in pregnant women. (For true informed consent, women need to know this.)

4. If they want to avoid exposure to mercury preservative (thermiasol), they need to ask for the single dose syringe, not an injection from a multi-dose package.

Here is the documentation from the CDC website of the above info available at: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccinati...ant_qa.htm#HCP

Q: Is there a particular kind of flu vaccine that pregnant women should get? Are there flu vaccines that pregnant women should not get?

A. There are two type of flu vaccine. Pregnant women should get the "flu shot"— an inactivated vaccine (containing fragments of killed influenza virus) that is given with a needle, usually in the arm. The flu shot is approved for use in pregnant women.

The other type of flu vaccine — nasal-spray flu vaccine (sometimes called LAIV for “live attenuated influenza vaccine)—is not currently approved for use in pregnant women. This vaccine is made with live, weakened flu viruses that do not cause the flu). LAIV (FluMist®) is approved for use in healthy* people 2-49 years of age who are not pregnant.

Q: What safety studies have been done on the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine and have any been done in pregnant women?

A: A number of clinical trials which test 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine in healthy children and adults are underway. These studies are being conducted by the National Institutes of Allergies and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). Studies of 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine in pregnant women are expected to begin in September.

Q: Does the 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine have preservative in it?

A: There is no evidence that thimerosal (used as a preservative in vaccine packaged in multi-dose vials) is harmful to a pregnant woman or a fetus. However, because some women are concerned about exposure to preservatives during pregnancy, manufacturers will produce preservative-free seasonal and 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccines in single dose syringes for pregnant women and small children. CDC recommends that pregnant women may receive influenza vaccine with or without thimerosal.
#213 of 237 Old 09-29-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
My husband patched the roof yesterday.

He must have been bit by the snow bug as well.
Everyone I know has been scrambling big time, ever since the mountains turned white

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#214 of 237 Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
3. The vaccine has not been tested in pregnant women. (For true informed consent, women need to know this.)
Trails have begun in pregnant woman in their 2nd & 3rd trimesters. However, they trials are not yet complete & I am not sure if a completion date is set. They are checking cord blood as part of the trials, so presumably the trials won't be completed until all woman in the group give birth. However, it should also be noted that the H1N1 flu vaccine is basically a recipe variation of the seasonal flu vaccine that has been in production for the past 10 years - the virus changes year to year regardless.

Also, just another note, the live vaccine/flu mist is preservative free. It is also more effective in kids and young adults at preventing flu. But because it is a live but weakenend virus is has more contraindications - the preggos & under 2 kids, extreme immune comprimised & asmathics (asthmatics because its never a good idea to shoot a gel up the nose of an asthmatic, regardless of what it is). For some reason that I don't understand, it also is not effective in folks over 49. Personally I'd opt for a shot any day over stuff up my nose, but for my son, I'd pick the nasal "mist" with no mercury than a shot with mercury.

I was thinking I'd start a thread here when I get some more info in a couple of weeks about what the Anchorage School District is doing with the h1n1 vax. Right now everything is still a moving target, but there should be some pretty firm info available soon - what forms of the vax is getting shipped to AK, hopefully what ASD is going to receive of the shipment, and when the vax clinics are going to be scheduled.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#215 of 237 Old 09-29-2009, 06:30 PM

I'm wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a birth pool. I'm planning on using a pool primarily for laboring - my tub is too small to get comfortable in when I'm not preggo, let alone now. I'm planning on birthing out of the pool on my midwife's advice.)

I'm have in my budget enough for one of the $100-200 pools, but I'm wondering if I should use the $ elsewhere and just get a cheapy pool. My midwife has her supply kit though inhishands.com - and they sell a $32 kiddy pool and the $120 La Bassine. But I know there are lots of others on the market, but I haven't looked at AK shipping options.

One consideration I have is the only place I can set up the pool, is in my living room which has a cork floor - so I'm a bit paranoid about the possibility of leaks. We'll probably put a tarp down with towels on top - but still concerned about quality.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#216 of 237 Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Trails have begun in pregnant woman in their 2nd & 3rd trimesters. However, they trials are not yet complete & I am not sure if a completion date is set. They are checking cord blood as part of the trials, so presumably the trials won't be completed until all woman in the group give birth. However, it should also be noted that the H1N1 flu vaccine is basically a recipe variation of the seasonal flu vaccine that has been in production for the past 10 years - the virus changes year to year regardless.

Also, just another note, the live vaccine/flu mist is preservative free. It is also more effective in kids and young adults at preventing flu. But because it is a live but weakenend virus is has more contraindications - the preggos & under 2 kids, extreme immune comprimised & asmathics (asthmatics because its never a good idea to shoot a gel up the nose of an asthmatic, regardless of what it is). For some reason that I don't understand, it also is not effective in folks over 49. Personally I'd opt for a shot any day over stuff up my nose, but for my son, I'd pick the nasal "mist" with no mercury than a shot with mercury.

I was thinking I'd start a thread here when I get some more info in a couple of weeks about what the Anchorage School District is doing with the h1n1 vax. Right now everything is still a moving target, but there should be some pretty firm info available soon - what forms of the vax is getting shipped to AK, hopefully what ASD is going to receive of the shipment, and when the vax clinics are going to be scheduled.

thank you for the clarifications.

I too am curious about the h1N1 in schools. They sent home a note over the weekend (which we got yesterday due to the kids being sick, ironic) and it stated the schools were getting the vax, and they were going to vax at school for free. It was OPTIONAL and the form sent home was to be returned if you DID want your kids vax'd so they could get a head count.

That is all I got.
#217 of 237 Old 09-29-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
I'm wondering if any of you have any recommendations for a birth pool. I'm planning on using a pool primarily for laboring - my tub is too small to get comfortable in when I'm not preggo, let alone now. I'm planning on birthing out of the pool on my midwife's advice.)

I'm have in my budget enough for one of the $100-200 pools, but I'm wondering if I should use the $ elsewhere and just get a cheapy pool. My midwife has her supply kit though inhishands.com - and they sell a $32 kiddy pool and the $120 La Bassine. But I know there are lots of others on the market, but I haven't looked at AK shipping options.

One consideration I have is the only place I can set up the pool, is in my living room which has a cork floor - so I'm a bit paranoid about the possibility of leaks. We'll probably put a tarp down with towels on top - but still concerned about quality.
We used the $32 pool for DS's labor and birth. It was very comfortable and held up very well! I used a AquaDoula for DD2's birth and the cheapy inflatable one was actually more comfortable!

CPST & mom

#218 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 AM

Yeah, all schools are PODs--Points of Distribution. Teachers are strongly encouraged to get the flu vax but optional for all.
#219 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Yeah, all schools are PODs--Points of Distribution. Teachers are strongly encouraged to get the flu vax but optional for all.
Yep, the one good thing I see in that is that because it is for an "emergency" situation in the community, the schools that are PODs don't have to do additional emergency drills- so that is a little more class time that way.

I was pretty dead set against the swine vax, but then I heard that people can get swine flu multiple times... man I wouldn't want that multiple times.. geesh. Now I don't know- but am certainly determined to do some more research.
#220 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 AM

Well you guys are pretty much the best ever.

You were right on the money recommending the birth center, you gave great advice about driving the Alaska Highway, and I loved the pediatrician recommendations. We saw Dr. Foote today and not only did we receive several compliments on the cloth diapers, people were happy about our homebirth and co-sleeping, and he offered vaccination information by asking if we were vaccinators.

I don't generally worry too much about what other people think of my choices, but I didn't wan't to be one of 'those' parents. It's really nice to be reminded that we are not crazy for going the route that we have and that we are not strange for actually thinking about things that will be affecting our daughter.

So thanks, everyone!!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#221 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Well you guys are pretty much the best ever.

You were right on the money recommending the birth center, you gave great advice about driving the Alaska Highway, and I loved the pediatrician recommendations. We saw Dr. Foote today and not only did we receive several compliments on the cloth diapers, people were happy about our homebirth and co-sleeping, and he offered vaccination information by asking if we were vaccinators.

I don't generally worry too much about what other people think of my choices, but I didn't wan't to be one of 'those' parents. It's really nice to be reminded that we are not crazy for going the route that we have and that we are not strange for actually thinking about things that will be affecting our daughter.

So thanks, everyone!!
you're welcome!
#222 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 03:30 AM

As some of you might know DONA is coming to Anchorage next month

They are hosting a Birth Doula workshop for certification.
We also want to invite them to host an Advanced Doula workshop that is just a few hours for $50. We need 2- 3 more committed ladies to show up for this before DONA will set it up.

You do NOT need to be certified through DONA to attend! You dont even need doula certification but you should have a good idea about doula work so you are not lost.

Please email or PM me if you are interested. We need to know by Friday so we can give DONA a final head count!

Thanks Y'all!
#223 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 04:45 AM

We haven't been told here which schools are POD's for flu vax. In past years it's only been a few schools that do it and then there are a couple days where there are bigger clinics set up around town. We're hoping to know in a couple weeks if DD's school will be a POD for the H1N1. If so, I'll be at school that day to be sure she doesn't get it - she HAS it right now. It showed up at bedtime and we've gotten her temp down and are doing essential oil in the humidifier (for lungs). She'll stay home tomorrow for sure.

Jenn
#224 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Oh no, sorry to hear she is sick. Hope she bounces back quickly.
#225 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 02:13 PM

Both DH and DS are sick (well, DS appears to be on the mend), but when DH took DS to the doctor, they said it's not H1N1. Just something else making him all vomit-y and fever-y. Whatever it was, it passed quickly...

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#226 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 04:29 PM

my little one is ill too. Feverish and all 4 of them have cough.
Working though this with lots of vit c and hot herbal teas, not to mention lots of handwashing and disinfecting!
#227 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
thank you for the clarifications.

I too am curious about the h1N1 in schools. They sent home a note over the weekend (which we got yesterday due to the kids being sick, ironic) and it stated the schools were getting the vax, and they were going to vax at school for free. It was OPTIONAL and the form sent home was to be returned if you DID want your kids vax'd so they could get a head count.

That is all I got.
That note is just a very unscientific poll. We (some ASD folks) are just trying to get a handle on the percentage of parents interested in having their kids get the vax at schools. In a typical year, only 20% get a flu shot. For this year & H1N1 estimates are ranging from 30-80%, which means in the ASD schools alone the difference in administering 15K vs 40K shots or squirts. I'd request that you send back the form even if the answer is no or I don't know yet. (I understand the form only had a yes box, but I never saw the final version.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I was pretty dead set against the swine vax, but then I heard that people can get swine flu multiple times... man I wouldn't want that multiple times.. geesh. Now I don't know- but am certainly determined to do some more research.
I just heard this too. For any influenza (or at least the regular seasonal versions and H1N1) immunity is only a short term thing - maybe 6-9 months. This is part of the reason why you should get a flu shot every year if you get one (as well as the flu strains changing year to year). Its also why most public health departments don't give flu shots until around Oct 1 - so that you have immunity through the regular flu season. If you get it in August, you could lose immunity by March or April and then get the flu.

Unfortunately they are finding with H1N1 that some folks are getting multiple rounds of it. Some people just aren't producing enough antibodies, especially if their first round is a mild case. Its been particularly problematic if the 2nd round is only a couple of months later, because your body hasn't fully recovered from the 1st round and you're more susceptible to the secondary infections (pneumonia) or other complications. Ick. I had the flu 8 times one year - I always assumed, as did my doctor, that I just caught every strain that year. Maybe it was the same one over & over.

#228 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Both DH and DS are sick (well, DS appears to be on the mend), but when DH took DS to the doctor, they said it's not H1N1. Just something else making him all vomit-y and fever-y. Whatever it was, it passed quickly...
I've been feeling off gut wise for a few days. I can't tell if its just exhaustion or being 33 weeks pg. Or if its from spending 12+ hours a week lately in different schools planning for the H1N1 mass vax. No fever and I am washing my hands or using sanitizer about 100 times a day, at least it feels that way - and lots of grapeseed or olive oil and cotton socks at night on my hands. DS had a ridiculous amount of really stinking gas yesterday, so I was wondering if we picked something up. I hate to see it this way, but I can't help but see schools as massive germ factories now and I am afraid to touch any surface without a thorough wash down afterwards.

Glad to know it passed quickly for you. Maybe we'll be lucky too.

#229 of 237 Old 09-30-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

My kiddo woke up with a bad headache and a fever She fell asleep on the couch for a while, which is a clear indication that she is SICK, because she hasn't napped since she was 18 months old.

I'm hoping it's nothing too serious Of course, now I feel hot and have a bit of a headache... *sigh* We don't have time to be sick.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#230 of 237 Old 10-01-2009, 02:23 AM

#231 of 237 Old 10-01-2009, 04:07 AM

I've done a chunk of research on the swine flu vax if anyone wants the info. The stuff I can remember....it contains squalene (known cause of Gulf War Syndrome and other autoimmune disorders) and contains something else (can't remember the name) that is known to harm fertility in females. Also saw what look to be two deaths from the vaccine in the Navy.

DD has a 103 temp tonight. It's only staying down as long as she's medicated. I'm hoping we can break this tomorrow and send her to school on Friday but I'm not placing any bets. She's find except for appetite when she has some ibuprofen on board.

Jenn
#232 of 237 Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well, DD went up to 102 last night (which is incredibly high for her) and she was SO miserable, so hubby gave her some motrin before bed. We rarely medicate fevers because I believe they serve a purpose, but she was miserable. The good sign, she woke up with 98.9 this morning and she's feeling well enough to play big brain academy on the wii this morning. I still can't get any food into her, but she's drinking water.

I'm hoping what ever it was is on it's way out.

#233 of 237 Old 10-01-2009, 03:27 PM

Has anyone ever heard of an infant needing a Vitamin D supplement?

The WIC office gave me a supplement for my LO but I've never heard of an infant needing anything other than breastmilk. Is this just an Alaska/indirect sunlight thing?

#234 of 237 Old 10-01-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of an infant needing a Vitamin D supplement?

The WIC office gave me a supplement for my LO but I've never heard of an infant needing anything other than breastmilk. Is this just an Alaska/indirect sunlight thing?
Yeah, I think so. My kiddos got the vit supplements too and that was years ago. Recently my OB put ME on additional vit d.. and I guess there is some new study linking low D levels to ??? I can't recall what (she told me but I am drawing a blank)... so she pays special attention to the D.

hmmm.. well, I googled, and everything from Alzheimer's to breast cancer popped up but I thought she had said something specific that I can't find now..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&start=40&sa=N
#235 of 237 Old 10-01-2009, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

My LO was on vit D supplements as well.

It's a good idea to supplement up here. I was chronically low for several years (which can cause an array of medical problems, including cancers) and I was taking 60k a week and still low. My doc finally, at wits end had me start going to a tanning bed to see if it would help... low and behold, within a month, I was at optimal levels. So.... I go 3xs a week. The risk vs. benefit made the tanning bed a safer choice for me (I still protect my face though... as I don't want added wrinkles LOL)

#236 of 237 Old 10-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Our dr has had all of us on Vit D for years. I only do it in the non-summer season, though.

Hey, anyone know if oscillococcinum would help w/the swine flu as well as the regular flu? It would make sense, right? I just started taking it last night.
#237 of 237 Old 10-01-2009, 04:26 PM

New October Thread

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page