Alaska Chat for October - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 203 Old 10-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Any advice for dealing with hives in a 22 month old? .
Goat's milk soap with oatmeal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 203 Old 10-21-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Any advice for dealing with hives in a 22 month old? DS had them covering at least 20% of his body - but none were below the waist - so about half of his torso, arms & face were hived. They didn't seem too itchy - I'd have been ripping my skin off if they were on me. Big red welts with whitish "bug-bite" looking bumps on the welts. They faded after a bath, witchhazel rub and hydrocortisone cream rubdown. But we they kept popping up all evening. I broke down and went to Freds to get some Benedryl junior and gave him a 1/4 dose - as my ped had previously recommended would be an option. He's had 2 doses today - and it seems to help, but I don't want to keep him drugged up. I often have used homeopathic Apis, but these didn't respond this time.

He's had hives on a number of occasions before - this time we have no idea as to the trigger. (I'm a bit hive prone, by brother gets them all the time). The only unusual event today was he was playing with some pine cones we collect in Georgia in the spring. But all of these have been baked in an oven at about 250 degrees to melt the sap to remove the stickiness and essentially varnish the cones so they are shiny. This should have also killed/sterilized just about anything in them, including any pollens or molds. He's played with them before, but he dropped the box and the floor had to be swept up afterwards because of debris.
Has he been through allergy testing? My dd used to get all kinds of rashes that I couldn't attribute to any one thing in particular. I had her allergy tested and found out she had 11 food allergies. Once I eliminated all those foods, she never had a rash again.

We see Dr. Rathkopf (sp?) at Alaska Allergy & Immunology. She's a pediatric allergist and she is AMAZING with the kiddos. I just love her.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#123 of 203 Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 PM

Anybody have anything constructive to do with the ashes from a wood stove? This is our first winter with one and I am quickly realizing how fast they are going to accumulate!

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#124 of 203 Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 PM

supposedly you can run water through the ash and create LYE for soapmaking the REAL old fashioned way.

I have not done it though.

That's all I got.
#125 of 203 Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 PM

I had a coffee cup that was made from Mt. St. Helen's ash.. I wonder if you could make pottery from woodstove ash?
#126 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
supposedly you can run water through the ash and create LYE for soapmaking the REAL old fashioned way.

I have not done it though.

That's all I got.
The ashes have to be white, in order to make lye.

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#127 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
*rant ahead*

ugh, our whole house is sick Em had most of this last week (fever, cough, sinus pressure/stuffiness) in addition to pink eye. They tested her for influenza and it was negative, so I guess I know we all don't have the flu... but now hubby and I both have what ever she had.

I want to know... why is it when hubby had 101 fever yesterday, he was able to sleep all day without interruption, yet now that it's mine turn (with all the same aches and pains he had, in addition to my back pain from the car wreck) I'm having to take care of everyone, get all of Em's school work done, feed the dogs, feed the family, etc.?? Evidently having ovaries makes you immune from resting when ill.

I feel like crap and I want to whine to somebody... because nobody in my house wants to listen.

In addition to that, I'm dealing with the worlds most difficult customer EVER. She's seriously over the top and I really want to say to her "we really don't want your business, so please look elsewhere". I'm secretly hoping she'll be dissatisfied with my answers and just not sign up. Some people are just nucking futz. Unfortunately, it's not something simple where I could just say the date is booked... is for an open event, so I can only hope she chooses not to participate.

Okay, so that is my whine for the day. Does anybody know if it's okay to go to the chiro when sick? I don't want to infect anybody, but I'm DYING... I've not been in since Saturday and it's killing me.
Ugh you poor thing. I totally know what you mean. Call to make an appt. with chiro, let them know you are sick so don't want to wait around in the waiting room. Hope you are able to get some rest.
#128 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
Anybody have anything constructive to do with the ashes from a wood stove? This is our first winter with one and I am quickly realizing how fast they are going to accumulate!
Sprinkle them on your garden (flowers or veggies) or on your compost.
I know, it won't use all of them, but it'll use some...
Sprinkle them around the lawn, under shrubs/trees...

and my SIL wanted to make soap from scratch (starting with the ash) and yet it flopped like three times in a row, so we went and looked up what's really involved...um, it's fairly complex (not to mention somewhat hazardous) to go through that whole process. I don't think she really has an idea of what she's doing, or of how dangerous lye-water is. I wouldn't want to mess with any of it personally.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#129 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
When we were there, our driveway had a bit of a hill to it. When the ashes cooled we would spread them on the driveway to give more traction. We had a metal bucket with a lid that would hold usually three stovefuls of ashes, so once a month or so we'd take it up and put it on. Don't put them on when they're still warm because then they just melt the snow, it freezes and you have ice. You could probably do it anywhere you need more traction.
#130 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM

how to make pottery from clay and wood ash

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...-glaze-233849/
#131 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Ugh you poor thing. I totally know what you mean. Call to make an appt. with chiro, let them know you are sick so don't want to wait around in the waiting room. Hope you are able to get some rest.

The chiro doesn't want to see me until my fever breaks I'm just SO miserable. My back feels 100xs worse because I've not seen anyone since Saturday, plus all the laying around AND the body aches and I'm just miserable *sob* I don't blame them for not wanting to see me... what ever is going around is UGLY, but on the same token... I'm desperate.

Hubby went to urgent care this morning because it's now taken over his sinuses and the poor guy is completely unable to breath. He's also choking on drainage all night long. He tried the netti pot in the middle of the night and he couldn't get any water in at all. He tried 3 pots worth and could never get a single drop out. He is suppose to do a show for a couple hundred kids on Saturday, so I encouraged him to get in and see if it's an infection that can get started on antibiotics or something to get him feeling better much quicker. I'm usually a wait it out kinda girl, but we have so many events going this weekend, we don't have one single, extra staff member to cover for him. Gotta love owning your own business.

I'm just ready to be done with it all!

On the upside, both of our vehicles are fixed. Unfortunately, they've both been sitting in the sign shop since Monday because they are having difficulties matching up the old graphics with the new ones (color wise). Hopefully they'll get that addressed soon. This is the exact reason that my hubby was adamant with the insurance companies about having the body shops take care of EVERYTHING and return the vehicles to us when everything was completed. Both body shops wanted to have us address the graphics on our own... which would have meant, we would have turned in our rentals on Monday and would be sitting with no vehicles all week. He's a pretty smart cookie.

#132 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 PM

Get well soon Karen!

Yeah about getting your cars fixed! Hope they come home soon!
#133 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 05:57 PM

There is a FREE Breastfeeding class on Sunday at 4pm

Here in Anchorage, at the SUgar and Spice Shop in the University center mall.

Gift bags for every mom and door prizes!

Email eyoliver@yahoo.com with an RSVP
#134 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
There is a FREE Breastfeeding class on Sunday at 4pm

Here in Anchorage, at the SUgar and Spice Shop in the University center mall.

Gift bags for every mom and door prizes!

Email eyoliver@yahoo.com with an RSVP
Do you know if to-be moms can attend? or does it need to be mom's who've already given birth? My BFF is about 20 weeks right now.

#135 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM

I finally got mmy pfd sorted...the site had a name and email of the person assigned to my case (when I looked up the "whre's my pfd" thing) and so I emailed them and it's straightened out now and I will be getting my pfd...not until nov 19, but I'm not going to complain about the 6wk wait because at least it's coming.
(forgivve typos--typing while balanced ona birth ball and with a kiddo on my lap....)

#136 of 203 Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Do you know if to-be moms can attend? or does it need to be mom's who've already given birth? My BFF is about 20 weeks right now.
Breastfeeding classes are FOR pregnant mommas, so they can learn all about it before baby gets here.
#137 of 203 Old 10-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
anyone and everyone! Sign her up!
#138 of 203 Old 10-23-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I finally got mmy pfd sorted...the site had a name and email of the person assigned to my case (when I looked up the "whre's my pfd" thing) and so I emailed them and it's straightened out now and I will be getting my pfd...not until nov 19, but I'm not going to complain about the 6wk wait because at least it's coming.
(forgivve typos--typing while balanced ona birth ball and with a kiddo on my lap....)
That's awesome!
#139 of 203 Old 10-24-2009, 11:20 PM

Man... it's been a rough couple of days around here. DD was finally feeling spunky again and begged me to go to hockey practice this morning, so I took her (I had to go anyway, as I'm the team manager and had a ton of paperwork to deal with). She spends 1/2 hour out on the ice and then I see her laying on the ice... and talking to the coach, and pointing to her neck, etc. so I high tailed it over to the ice to see what was up. I got there and she's in tears and says her neck and her head hurt and she wants to get off the ice right now. Anyone who knows my daughter knows it's serious when she wants to get off the ice. I got her off, got her helmet off and saw that her neck guard was pulling a lot of her baby hairs, so I figured that was the problem. Nope... she proceeded to look at me and vomit all over Poor kiddo. It just came out of nowhere.

Hubby is still sick as a dog and had to work 2 different events today, 1 stage show (when the poor guy couldn't talk without coughing) and a huge event in Anchorage. Thankfully he didn't have to interact with the public up close... just coordinate a lot of stuff, but still hard when you feel so rotten. It's times like this it becomes painfully obvious how much easier life would be if we had jobs we could call in sick to.

We got both of our vehicles back yesterday and there is still stuff wrong on BOTH of them Of course, since we've taken possession of them... we have to go through the adjusters/bodyshops/vinyl shops, etc process again. I'm just so tired of people taking zero pride in their work anymore. I almost feel like they do the bare minimum and hope nobody complains. How they didn't notice that my truck still pulls really hard to the right is beyond me. Did no one drive the damn thing? They took it to the alignment shop... SOMEBODY had to have driven it. *sigh* Rant over. I'm just not looking forward to battling with people to have the stuff fixed that should have been fixed the first time.

On the upside, my fever has been gone for almost a whole day. My butt will be planted at the chiro's office first thing Monday morning to get this back issue fixed up!

#140 of 203 Old 10-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Man... it's been a rough couple of days around here. DD was finally feeling spunky again and begged me to go to hockey practice this morning, so I took her (I had to go anyway, as I'm the team manager and had a ton of paperwork to deal with). She spends 1/2 hour out on the ice and then I see her laying on the ice... and talking to the coach, and pointing to her neck, etc. so I high tailed it over to the ice to see what was up. I got there and she's in tears and says her neck and her head hurt and she wants to get off the ice right now. Anyone who knows my daughter knows it's serious when she wants to get off the ice. I got her off, got her helmet off and saw that her neck guard was pulling a lot of her baby hairs, so I figured that was the problem. Nope... she proceeded to look at me and vomit all over Poor kiddo. It just came out of nowhere.

Hubby is still sick as a dog and had to work 2 different events today, 1 stage show (when the poor guy couldn't talk without coughing) and a huge event in Anchorage. Thankfully he didn't have to interact with the public up close... just coordinate a lot of stuff, but still hard when you feel so rotten. It's times like this it becomes painfully obvious how much easier life would be if we had jobs we could call in sick to.

We got both of our vehicles back yesterday and there is still stuff wrong on BOTH of them Of course, since we've taken possession of them... we have to go through the adjusters/bodyshops/vinyl shops, etc process again. I'm just so tired of people taking zero pride in their work anymore. I almost feel like they do the bare minimum and hope nobody complains. How they didn't notice that my truck still pulls really hard to the right is beyond me. Did no one drive the damn thing? They took it to the alignment shop... SOMEBODY had to have driven it. *sigh* Rant over. I'm just not looking forward to battling with people to have the stuff fixed that should have been fixed the first time.

On the upside, my fever has been gone for almost a whole day. My butt will be planted at the chiro's office first thing Monday morning to get this back issue fixed up!
Ugh! Seriously! That blows. We have had issues with one mechanic here in town. We complained though the BBB. I suggest you do the same.
#141 of 203 Old 10-25-2009, 02:48 PM

#142 of 203 Old 10-25-2009, 10:58 PM

uh why does all the niffty stuff happen in anchorage?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#143 of 203 Old 10-26-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
I'm sorry. I wish Fairbanks was closer

The class was good. Lots of preggo bellies and new babies!
#144 of 203 Old 10-26-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Man... it's been a rough couple of days around here.
Good grief, Karen, you weren't kidding. so sorry Mama, hugs to you and hope your chiro appt was helpful.
#145 of 203 Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

We're planning on doing the trick or treat at the Zoo on Saturday. We've got costumes already.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#146 of 203 Old 10-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
FWIW, I think Fairbanks has a KICK BUTT LLL leader! (well, that is if she's still the leader). She helped me SOOOOOOOOOOOO much in the beginning. She truly was a godsend to me.

#147 of 203 Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 AM

We're thinking about going to the zoo Saturday. There are a couple halloween things out here but I think the zoo would be more fun, but maybe kind of crazy too.

Becky
#148 of 203 Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Sunday night while I was trying to go to sleep I had quite a few decent contractions--not the squeezy-yet-not-hurty braxton hicks kind, but the more pinchy-pokey-in-my-cervix kind. I still couldn't feel my cervix though in the morning when I checked, so even though in the night I had been starting to wonder if it was early labor, it's obvious that it wasn't. Still though, we're getting closer. My birth pool is 80% inflated and leaning against my wall (so that it will be faster to get it up when labor does start, cuz it takes ages to blow up so we didn't deflate it all the way after the trial run). I've got all my supplies in the box there next to the pool. The midwife is doing her home visit on thursday...which feels kinda late to me but oh well, I don't really expect the baby to come before then, and even if he does it's not like my house is hard to find so I don't anticipate it being a problem.
In the meantime, my 2.5yo (who has slept through the night about a dozen times in his life) has slept through the night the last two nights in a row, which means that I have too...I appreciate the sleep, but i confess it also makes me wonder if it's one of those little blessings from God that I get to sleep for a couple of nights because I'm about to spend one up all night laboring. I feel pretty ready for this baby, but DH has parent-teacher-conferences on thursday so he can't really get a sub and he really can't skip them, so I really don't want the baby to come before thursday. Actually, I dont' want him to come before saturday--I want to take the kids to the church halloween festival cuz it's turned cold here and I know they won't want to trick or treat for long so I want them to have a chance for some indoor festivities earlier in the day. So sunday would be good...you hear that baby? Sunday would be really really great.

ETA, I've officially lost my belly button. DH calls it a 'turkey timer" cuz it pops right at the end...so if I've lost it that means baby's done cooking and can come out now, right?

#149 of 203 Old 10-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Looks like I'll be coming to ANC Nov 7th or 8th, through the 11th for work. Anything fun happening?

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#150 of 203 Old 10-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Sunday night while I was trying to go to sleep I had quite a few decent contractions--not the squeezy-yet-not-hurty braxton hicks kind, but the more pinchy-pokey-in-my-cervix kind. I still couldn't feel my cervix though in the morning when I checked, so even though in the night I had been starting to wonder if it was early labor, it's obvious that it wasn't. Still though, we're getting closer. My birth pool is 80% inflated and leaning against my wall (so that it will be faster to get it up when labor does start, cuz it takes ages to blow up so we didn't deflate it all the way after the trial run). I've got all my supplies in the box there next to the pool. The midwife is doing her home visit on thursday...which feels kinda late to me but oh well, I don't really expect the baby to come before then, and even if he does it's not like my house is hard to find so I don't anticipate it being a problem.
In the meantime, my 2.5yo (who has slept through the night about a dozen times in his life) has slept through the night the last two nights in a row, which means that I have too...I appreciate the sleep, but i confess it also makes me wonder if it's one of those little blessings from God that I get to sleep for a couple of nights because I'm about to spend one up all night laboring. I feel pretty ready for this baby, but DH has parent-teacher-conferences on thursday so he can't really get a sub and he really can't skip them, so I really don't want the baby to come before thursday. Actually, I dont' want him to come before saturday--I want to take the kids to the church halloween festival cuz it's turned cold here and I know they won't want to trick or treat for long so I want them to have a chance for some indoor festivities earlier in the day. So sunday would be good...you hear that baby? Sunday would be really really great.

ETA, I've officially lost my belly button. DH calls it a 'turkey timer" cuz it pops right at the end...so if I've lost it that means baby's done cooking and can come out now, right?
What a lovely update! You sound so peaceful and yet anxious. Very cute!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page