Is your school dist vax yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-16-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious about what AK Mommies will do -- not sure if this applies to other states so please don't move.

My kids' school will dist nasal and im swine flu shots Nov 5th. (They're actually really encouraging parents NOT to do it at school; ie. if you're going to get it, go to the dr.)

I am actually considering holding the kids out of school on this day. What does everyone else feel about it? If it were just the shot, I wouldn't care but I shudder at the thought of all those kids sneezing out live vax all day, all over. For goodness sake, it's cold season anyway and kids are sneezing anyway.

Any else thought about this?
#2 of 16 Old 10-17-2009, 03:55 AM

good point.

I have not heard anything about this and not sure if my kids school will have a distribution point.

I do not plan on gett them the shot or the spray.
#3 of 16 Old 10-17-2009, 06:16 AM

I would probably keep my dd out that day as well- it's silly, but I keep worrying about her being 'accidentally' vaxed (yeah, kinda paranoid )

good point about the live spray vax getting sneezed about as well.

I haven't heard anything though...

Liza, any info you can share?
#4 of 16 Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 AM

I finished the schedule for Anchorage Schools on Thursday - so at least all the principals have it. All schools are having clinic days - they start on 11/2 and run through 11/23 for the first shot. Kids 9 & under need a 2nd, which will be given in December.

It would be nearly impossible to get accidentally vax'd - at least 2 people have to review the "permission slip/screening form" on the day of the clinic. The nurses are leaning toward overly-conservative rejection if their is any question whether the child can medically receive the vax. If they have any doubt the response will pretty much be "see your doctor." That said – there will be limited amounts of real education that occurs on “shot day.” Because the district (Anchorage) is doing this as a drill for a big scary epidemic (think small pox) at smaller schools more than half of staff are going to be involved in the clinic operations leaving teachers supervising more than one class of students. So if there was a day to skip…

Live Spray vs Inactive (dead) shot: A few issues on this one. The live spray is attenuated (weakened) and is only considered a risk as a contagion for extremely immune compromised people - there are folks like bone marrow transplant recipients who are kept in isolation units, not people who'd be living at home receiving chemo etc. The amount of live virus passed bony one sneezing kid in a class is ridiculously high compared to the amount of vax virus that could be distributed by an entire class of recently vax'd kids. (The studies would make you want to were a full encapsulated suit before going out in public). It is misnomber IMO to refer to it as a spray - its actually pretty gel-like. I think this makes it feel pretty icky cause it just sticks up there for the rest of the day. The persistance is the primary reason it is contra-indicated for asthmatics - it is an irritant - many asthmatics don't do well have junk up there nasal passages. I had it once and thought is burned - but I don't think any substance would feel good if it stayed around for more than 10 seconds.

The advantages of the spray is that it is preservative free (no thermiosol) and is a more effective vax than the shot is kids and young adults. There are limited amounts of shots that are thermiosol free of the h1n1 vax (single dose) - but at least for the time-being these are likely to be set aside for use by preggos and kids 6 months to 2 years.

The state/city/school district has no firm how much of which type of vaccine will be distributed to them until it is actually in shipment. In addition to mist vs multi-dose vials of shots and single-dose pre-filled syringes of shots, each pharmaceutical company has a unique license which specifies the age range for their formulation. This is why the walk-in shot clinics at local pharmacies have varying age ranges even for seasonal flu (I know Walgreens is 18 years+, Carrs I think is 12+) – they buy a supply from one company and have to abide by the license (or at least should is responsible). Now I’ve been told that individual doctors don’t necessarily abide by these, wish scares me a bit. (My BIL got the seasonal spray – it is not considered by CDC/FDA to provide adequate protection for those 50+ compare to a shot.)

Bottom-line: If you have a preference for a type of h1n1 vax, go see a doctor or go to a public POD (clinic) where you can be present with your child at the time. The schools are not permitting parents in the clinic room. This isn’t actually to be psychotically controlling but b/c kids actually are more stoic getting shots when mommy isn’t there (they act tougher around friends that moms) and it would honestly just not be logistically possible to wait to pull the kid from class to get their vax and get through an entire school in a day.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#5 of 16 Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 PM

Fairbanks hasn't made any info public yet. I'll be at school during the time DD's class goes to get it to be sure she doesn't. I'll also be talking to the teacher, nurse, office and principal before hand.

Claire, you're not paranoid at all. I just found out from a friend here in town that it happened to her daughter. Her DD was a freshman, told the nurse she was not to be vax'd and the nurse told her she certainly was and gave it to her.

Jenn
#6 of 16 Old 10-21-2009, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh, unbelievable.

Here, parents aren't allowed to be at school when it happens.
#7 of 16 Old 10-21-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post
Fairbanks hasn't made any info public yet. I'll be at school during the time DD's class goes to get it to be sure she doesn't. I'll also be talking to the teacher, nurse, office and principal before hand.

Claire, you're not paranoid at all. I just found out from a friend here in town that it happened to her daughter. Her DD was a freshman, told the nurse she was not to be vax'd and the nurse told her she certainly was and gave it to her.

Jenn
Seriously???

I just got the consent forms from my son's school. Central.
It says I must return the consent form no matter what I choose.
I did say NO on the form but now I wonder.....

I dont know what day this will happen though. No word on that yet.
#8 of 16 Old 10-21-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy View Post
Ugh, unbelievable.

Here, parents aren't allowed to be at school when it happens.
I read that too, and their reasoning was sound but still it feels weird to be totally forbidden to be there.
#9 of 16 Old 10-21-2009, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I do understand the reasoning esp as they're viewing this as a prep for something serious; ie. smallpox, etc.

And, my kids' school is strongly encouraging parents NOT to do it; ie. go to the dr if you want the vax. At MY school, I bet all the kids will get it. Fun day.

I'm pretty sure I'll keep my kids out. Too many variables. And, seriously, even if it is a gel, I see so many kids everyday w/their fingers up their noses... I can't imagine hygiene would improve if you have a tickle up your schnoz.
#10 of 16 Old 10-21-2009, 03:44 AM

Tammy - Central is scheduled to go on Nov 3rd (assuming their is adequate vax in town to go as planned).

I definitely agree that general hygeine will decrease with of kids with itchy irritated nostrils from the gel. It makes me cringe to think about it. I have to be in many of the schools in Anchorage "observing" the clinics during the first 2 weeks of November- then I think I'm starting maternity leave. I'm thinking about wearing a face mask and a sign that says "Please do not come within 20 feet." I joked with DH I'd add to it "Very Pregnant and Contagious" and let people interpret that as they will. I'm currently taking so much Vit. C & D and some other stuff trying to get a bomb-proof immune system I think I'm going to start peeing neon purple. At the end of the day I plan on changing clothes before picking up DS at daycare. I'm not normally a germ-phobe, but working on pandemic/epidemic planning for the district has made me thinking of schools first as germ-brewing factories, and a then as educational facilities second. Eww, icky, gross.

The report of a girl getting vax'd by a nurse after she told the nurse no. That is flipping outrageous. I hope the family is pursuing this matter. There are so many reasons why every pro-vax agency says you can't receive the vaccine (egg allergies etc) - it is inexcusable for a nurse to force vax.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#11 of 16 Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Funny, I JUST finished reading Mercola's new "Swine flu ALERT." He mentions Vit D as a strong preventive. And, C of course.

Hmmm I think I would go for the mask & sign, too.
#12 of 16 Old 10-22-2009, 11:34 PM

I WORK at a distribution point. I have already asked discreetly if I will be forced to work in that environment seeing as how I am in my first trimester and wouldn't be allowed to get the nasal one even if I wanted it (apparently it is not for pregnant women- Liza some input on that?).. I am waiting to see their answer for that one..

As for my kiddos... I am considering keeping them home.. I haven't really decided yet. The dates will be different for some of them as they don't all attend the same schools.
#13 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I WORK at a distribution point. I have already asked discreetly if I will be forced to work in that environment seeing as how I am in my first trimester and wouldn't be allowed to get the nasal one even if I wanted it (apparently it is not for pregnant women- Liza some input on that?).. I am waiting to see their answer for that one.
One of my first questions when I started writing the generic distribution plan (for any disease/medication) and then again for the flu vax clinics was whether teachers can opt out of participation. The answers I was given was a bit wishy washy - one interpretation was if its during school hours, your not at any increased exposure b/c you are already around all the schools. I'd recommend that if your principal won't let you work in a position outside of classroom/student management, contact your union.

FluMist/Nasal spray versions are NOT for preggos (or under 2, over 49 years old, or asthmatics). If you want a vax and are preggo (or under 2), you will eventually be able to get a preservative free shot. These come in single dose vials or pre-filled syringes. The last information I heard about these was they would not be available before early Nov. But this weeks info is everything is taking about a month longer than normal - so I'm not really expecting it before late Nov.

At my meeting this morning we discussed the contigencies if adequate vaccine quantities aren't available - and it is possible they won't be - dates will be moving, primarily for middle and high schools. These would get bumped to December since those kids only need a single dose.

#14 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 01:03 AM

Just a little personal request...

If it by any chance came up in conversation with any district staff (especially nurses or principals) - please don't mention my name. While I am a contractor for ASD - I hope/expect to have ongoing work with them and don't want to jeapardize that.

I realized in my meeting today that some of the information I've shared here would not be appreciated by all ASD staff. I am personally very sympathetic on both sides of the flu vaccination pro & con debate. While I strongly believe that vaccination as a valid public health protective measure - I also fully support an individual or parent's need to fully informed consent on which vaccinations and/or treatments are appropriate for themselves and their families. Some folks see the world so black & white they have difficulty respecting the other side - I've seen some of that on this issue.

If you have questions, please keep forwarding them to me. I'm happy to help where I can.

#15 of 16 Old 10-23-2009, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liza, I think you're fabulous but do be careful.

We had sign up tonight & ohmygoodness parents were THRILLED at the opportunity! I don't mind working my day as I can wash my hands non-stop. I think it'll be a wasted day as far as education, though. I don't know what I'd do if I were pg. Put a fence around your desk & have a day of silent reading?
#16 of 16 Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM

I am staying home. Already decided. Making a chiro appt and then staying my butt at home. They can just deal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page