Ongoing Alaskan Chat for November! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
What color would you paint your totally open floorplan living room if you'd just painted your dining/kitchen a vibrant green? - Thyme leaf green, it's called. The contrast between the builder's beige and the green is just, ugh.
Sounds very similar to my house. I have a very deep, deep burgundy accent wall that separates my living room from my dining room, and then did the green in the kitchen/dining and I have a deep beige around the rest of the house. It's called Lyndhurst stone by Valspar.

You can see here how much it contrasts with white.
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...urrent=058.jpg

The white wall in that pic has since taken on the green.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#62 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Sounds very similar to my house. I have a very deep, deep burgundy accent wall that separates my living room from my dining room, and then did the green in the kitchen/dining and I have a deep beige around the rest of the house. It's called Lyndhurst stone by Valspar.

You can see here how much it contrasts with white.
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...urrent=058.jpg

The white wall in that pic has since taken on the green.
Oooh! That lyndhurst stone is very pretty. If you get a chance to take a pic of your green, I'd love to see!

I was thinking a taupey/latte-ish color would be pretty with the green, and I have pops of red in there, too. A little half-wall separating my dining/kitchen is red.
#63 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 PM

So I called my mw last night. I told her I felt a little silly calling because I knew I wasn't in proper labor, but that I just wanted to let her know the state of things--that I'd had the "1 min ctx 5 min apart for more than an hour" several times in the last few days, lost a little more plug, etc, and so even though nothing was increasing/intensifying, there was a lot of SOMEthing going on. She said she thinks that probably my body is just trying to get the baby down, but he's not engaging, and that's why it never progresses. I don't know how much more time I can spend squatting at this point! I'm sleeping ok and baby is moving, so we're not worried about either of us health-wise, so it's just a matter of waiting for him to drop enough to engage...down baby, down!!! (I had been thinking that maybe my body wasn't quite ready and that's why all the false starts, but I'm now thinking that my body IS ready for labor, and has been trying to start--it's just the high floaty baby holding it all up...if he'd drop I think he'd have come days ago...so I'm praying for him to come down!)

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#64 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 03:15 PM

I have a question! Where do you get your grass fed beef, raw milk, and local eggs in Fairbanks?

Katie
#65 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 05:41 PM

Come on, Benjamin, down and out babe... Jenni! Are you hanging out on an exercise/birthing ball much? Wanna go to the pool? (Not that it will do anything, just feels good at 40+ weeks!

Soon...
#66 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Come on, Benjamin, down and out babe... Jenni! Are you hanging out on an exercise/birthing ball much? Wanna go to the pool? (Not that it will do anything, just feels good at 40+ weeks!

Soon...
I do have a birth ball...it was a lifesaver during my last labor, but a few nights ago when I'd been having decent contractions for a while and then I sat on the ball and they totally petered out, so I wasn't sure whether I should stay on it or not!! I know they make ctx a lot more comfortable via helping the pelvis be open...but I'm not sure how much it will really encourage the silly kid to come down...
There is a pool in town but I have a feeling that if I went (since it would require taking the toddler) that it wouldn't be very relaxing so I'll stick with my ball and some yoga. One of my other friends recommended www.spinningbabies.com , which I'd visited there before and knew they had help for posterior or breech babies, but I hadn't realized they might have techniques for floaty babies...they do have a couple of things that might help though (lunges and stuff) so i'll add those to the repertoire. I still have 2 days till my official due date, I just FEEL overdone cuz my other baby came at 39wks, oh yeah and I've been in on-again-off-again labor for over a week.

#67 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 07:49 PM

Jenni,
if you're open to trying something new, I would suggest EFT (emotional freedom technique), it's sort of related to accupressure and energy medicine-
www.emofree.com You can get the manual/instructions for free from the website. No need to buy anything. I've used it with success for lots of things (and have a longer list of things to try it on).

Down and out, baby Benjamin! Your mama's ready for you sweetie! :
#68 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jenni,

When I knew Iris was ready to be born, I used orange juice, castor oil, and a shot of vodka. It worked within hours.

Just a thought

s

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#69 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM

jenni...i've got orange juice and vodka if you decide to attempt the cocktail method! and you and your kiddo can come swimming with judah and i, anytime!

Katie
#70 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 08:40 PM

I did the castor oil cocktail along with pumping nipple stim at 42 weeks... My BEST.BIRTH.EVER. Feel like reading a wahaaay too long birth story? Here.
#71 of 175 Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Jenni,

When I knew Iris was ready to be born, I used orange juice, castor oil, and a shot of vodka. It worked within hours.

Just a thought

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post
jenni...i've got orange juice and vodka if you decide to attempt the cocktail method! and you and your kiddo can come swimming with judah and i, anytime!
Quote:
I did the castor oil cocktail along with pumping nipple stim at 42 weeks... My BEST.BIRTH.EVER. Feel like reading a wahaaay too long birth story? Here.
Hmmm, too bad I've got a religious prohibition against alcohol.
My mom said the best way she'd ever tried for castor oil (and she tried it several times, including in OJ) was to mix it up with some scrambled eggs--they were a bit greasy but at least they didn't taste gross.
I'm not really convinced that castor oil would do the trick though...the point of that is to stimulate the bowels and try to bring on contractions, right? I've got no shortage of contractions! The baby is just too high for the ctx to result in any dilation.
Spinning babies had several suggestions of things to help open the pelvis/get baby to descend, so I'm doing lunges and hip circles on the ball and pelvic tilts along with my squats. He can't stay up forever!! I confess I'm seriously considering just pushing on his little behind from above and seeing if that helps

CK--I've heard of EFT before--that's like with the tapping, isn't it? I genuinely don't think there are any emotional holdups going on for me (the name was the one and that's been resolved a week ago...which was when I started getting the more frequent ctx...but he's still high...). If there's something holding up the baby I don't know how I'd go about helping him release...I've been doing positive affirmations (for both of us) for a couple of weeks, and combining it with touch (such as I can for him anyway!) although there may be more official ways to do it.

#72 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 AM

Oh my goodness quit squatting! Don't start squats until you are well into active labor and baby is low. Squatting helps open the outlet of the pelvis but when you do that, you narrow the inlet (where baby needs to get head down into to engage.). What is your actual due date?
#73 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
Quick question--is it an AK thing that you need a dr's referral to go see a chiropractor? Or was I misinformed? Seems a little odd to me.
It has nothing to with AK, but it might have to do with your insurance. I highly recommend Dr. Heather Gappert at Fairbanks Chiropractic on Gaffney. She just did a homebirth VBAC in July. She's awesome!

Jenn
#74 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 PM

DH keeps saying "your nesting." Maybe so, maybe I just got fed up with all the junk and clutter and realizing that once the baby comes any time to actually clean is completely obliterated.

I hope this isn't a UAV - (I know this isn't freecycle) - could any Anchorage area mommas uses some home pregnancy tests. I have a box of 3 Equate brand, expiration June 2010. The box has been opened, but the tests are ll in their foil wraps - otherwise I'd see if I could donate somewhere. Let's just say - they better not be needed by then... PM me if interested.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#75 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post
It has nothing to with AK, but it might have to do with your insurance. I highly recommend Dr. Heather Gappert at Fairbanks Chiropractic on Gaffney. She just did a homebirth VBAC in July. She's awesome!

Jenn
I've heard lots of recommendations for her as well. I just took DD to her on Friday and she was WONDERFUL.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#76 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Oh my goodness quit squatting! Don't start squats until you are well into active labor and baby is low. Squatting helps open the outlet of the pelvis but when you do that, you narrow the inlet (where baby needs to get head down into to engage.). What is your actual due date?

My mw recommended squats to help get the baby to engage... they're uncomfortable so I spend a lot more time on the ball/circling than I have with the squatting, but I had been throwing in some squats for good measure... maybe I'll just scratch that and stick with the ball.

My official due date is actually tomorrow (11/11). I don't think I'd be this ancy except for 1--the other DS came at 39wks and 2--I lost my plug nearly 2 weeks ago (it happened in labor with DS) and I've had lots of contractions on a fairly daily basis for the whole time...it's like I've been in early labor for over a week. I mean, either go into labor or don't, you know?

#77 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Oh, I never knew that! Good tip!
#78 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

So I am having a pampered chef party on Saturday. We are making a Mint Chocolate Torte. I was thinking "tea and cake" for the party, but it might take a while for the torte to come out of the oven.. what other hors d'vores or finger foods should I serve/have at hand when guests arrive? (nothing that is too labor intensive or stinky please!) I was thinking maybe grapes. I was going to serve tea and maybe sparking cider.. any thoughts? I am planning on picking up my supplies SOON.
#79 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Pinoikoi,
I like pumpkin bread/muffins...it tends to be sweet but not TOO sweet...I've got good recipes (for mini breads or for pumkin/choc chip muffins) if you want them. They're not quite cake, but they're only one step away! My sister did mini pumpkin muffins for my blessingway (3yrs ago) and they were perfect--sweet but not hurt-your-teeth sweet, and as mini-muffins they're not too big. We also did warm cider (we just put apple juice in a pan with some cinnamon and warmed it ) That might be a nice cozy alternative for those who aren't big on tea.

#80 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Pinoikoi,
I like pumpkin bread/muffins...it tends to be sweet but not TOO sweet...I've got good recipes (for mini breads or for pumkin/choc chip muffins) if you want them. They're not quite cake, but they're only one step away! My sister did mini pumpkin muffins for my blessingway (3yrs ago) and they were perfect--sweet but not hurt-your-teeth sweet, and as mini-muffins they're not too big. We also did warm cider (we just put apple juice in a pan with some cinnamon and warmed it ) That might be a nice cozy alternative for those who aren't big on tea.
mmm... can I get your pumpkin and choc muffin recipe? I am not sure if I want to do them for THIS party since we already will have a large baked item that I don't want to let it get out of the limelight, ya know? But it DOES sound delicious! You are right, I can do cider in a crockpot! That sound excellent and better than the sparkling cider.
#81 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
mmm... can I get your pumpkin and choc muffin recipe?
I make it with a couple of changes from the original recipe, so I noted those...I just reduce the pumpkin to = 1 can (for simplicity's sake) and I reduced the oil and sugar a bit because my DS was always wanting to just eat them for breakfast and I didn't feel as guilty if they weren't as sweet...I'd still keep to the lower oil amount but if you wanted to do the full amount of sugar they'd be a little more cake-like.

Makes about 24-30 muffins

4 eggs
1 1/2 c (one small can) pumpkin (original says 2c pumpkin)
1 1/2 c sugar (original says 2c sugar)
1 1/4 c oil (I use olive oil, as the pumpkin flavor is strong enough to mask it) (original says 1 1/2c)
2 3/4 c flour (original says 3c, i reduce to keep the texture even since I reduce the pumpkin and oil)
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
about 1 c chocolate chips (the original recipe called for 2 c, but that is really overkill--even at 1 1/2 c you'll probably find there are chips left in the bottom of the bowl)

In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and oil together until smooth. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake at 400* for 16-20 min. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing.

#82 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 PM

what about just some veggies and dip?

Where are you again? I just did an order for my mom but I might swing by if we are near.....
#83 of 175 Old 11-10-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I've been in early labor for over a week. I mean, either go into labor or don't, you know?
Oh my heavens, do I remember that frustration! I had contractions that were lasting almost a full minute, every 3 minutes for 11 days.

NOTHING would happen... she wouldn't engage. I never even reached a fingertip dilated before I gave up (after having not slept for 10 days) and let them take her. Come to find out, in my case, she would have never come. I have "disfunctional" hips ... as in, my pelvic opening wouldn't budge... she would have never made it in. Come to find out after the fact, it's a chronic problem on my dad's side of the family (with my grandma having 2 sections in the 40s). Thankfully, you know that your hips are okay for birthing babies.

I hope he comes soon for you.

#84 of 175 Old 11-11-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Come to find out, in my case, she would have never come. I have "disfunctional" hips ... as in, my pelvic opening wouldn't budge... she would have never made it in. Come to find out after the fact, it's a chronic problem on my dad's side of the family (with my grandma having 2 sections in the 40s). Thankfully, you know that your hips are okay for birthing babies. .
You know, now that you mention it that happened to a friend of mine too. She had been in labor for about a week or so with no progress. She did a C/S at which point the OB said the baby would never have gotten out on her own.. that poor baby had a squished side of her face for about a week. She had been TRYING to get out with no luck.
#85 of 175 Old 11-11-2009, 12:07 AM

I admit, it was quite a hard pill for me to swallow. I wanted SO desperately to have an intervention free birth I have to remind myself that in the end, I got my beautiful child, and that is all that matters. I just wish I would have been able to have the birth experience I had envisioned. But we all know life just doesn't always happen that way.

#86 of 175 Old 11-11-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
My mw recommended squats to help get the baby to engage... they're uncomfortable so I spend a lot more time on the ball/circling than I have with the squatting, but I had been throwing in some squats for good measure... maybe I'll just scratch that and stick with the ball.

My official due date is actually tomorrow (11/11). I don't think I'd be this ancy except for 1--the other DS came at 39wks and 2--I lost my plug nearly 2 weeks ago (it happened in labor with DS) and I've had lots of contractions on a fairly daily basis for the whole time...it's like I've been in early labor for over a week. I mean, either go into labor or don't, you know?
Oh honey, I do know how uncomfortable and frustrating it is. Do go look around at spinning babies. Mal positioned babies do just what yours is doing but in your case I would think that it also is a case of baby is just not ready yet (otherwise the little bugger would be born already.) Try to be patient and be nice to yourself. You could probably benefit from some hands and knees a couple of times a day.
#87 of 175 Old 11-11-2009, 02:07 AM

oh good grief ladies, I don't need to hear stories of babies who got STUCK!!! Geeze!!! I'm officially due tomorrow and I'm willing to let baby come when he needs to, but I *really* want him to make it early enough that I won't "risk out" of having my midwife attend me at home, and frankly i'd like to have him this week so that he'll be old enough that I'll be able to go to the big Thanksgiving dinner our friends are hosting at their lodge (I dont' want to take out a baby who's under a week old, not to mention that *I* won't be wanting to be out!)

#88 of 175 Old 11-11-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
oh good grief ladies, I don't need to hear stories of babies who got STUCK!!! Geeze!!! I'm officially due tomorrow and I'm willing to let baby come when he needs to, but I *really* want him to make it early enough that I won't "risk out" of having my midwife attend me at home, and frankly i'd like to have him this week so that he'll be old enough that I'll be able to go to the big Thanksgiving dinner our friends are hosting at their lodge (I dont' want to take out a baby who's under a week old, not to mention that *I* won't be wanting to be out!)
4 of 6 of my babies were born after 40 weeks. Some of us lucky ladies just are blessed with longer gestations!
#89 of 175 Old 11-11-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
So I am having a pampered chef party on Saturday. We are making a Mint Chocolate Torte. I was thinking "tea and cake" for the party, but it might take a while for the torte to come out of the oven.. what other hors d'vores or finger foods should I serve/have at hand when guests arrive? (nothing that is too labor intensive or stinky please!) I was thinking maybe grapes. I was going to serve tea and maybe sparking cider.. any thoughts? I am planning on picking up my supplies SOON.

When I do parties I always have some fresh fruit and veggies. Things that I know my family will eat so any leftovers won't go to waste. Usually just apples, grapes, carrots, and cucumbers, but anything that sounds good to you would be good. Sometimes I'll make a yogurt dip for the fruit and I usually have a couple types of dressing. Cheese and crackers, too. Again, things I know my family will eat. It also somewhat depends on what food we're preparing. We made chili at one of my parties and so we had very light finger foods out and something with a little more sugar for those with a sweet tooth. I almost always have pumpkin bread, but that is because it was the thing that everyone at church asked me for. I would do some with chocolate chips and some without. I have a recipe for what we call Christmas Tea (because that's when Mom made it) if you are interested. It is a black tea base with juice and spices. I usually just do it in the crock pot so it stays warm and it makes the whole house smell good, too. Hmmm, maybe I'll make some of that this weekend.
#90 of 175 Old 11-11-2009, 02:26 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page