Ongoing Alaskan Chat for November! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 175 Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gosh, I dont know. I hope it is a simple repair for you!
#152 of 175 Old 11-23-2009, 02:03 AM

birth story (warning, it's long...)
I published it on my blog with photos...but they don't come up here of course. PM me if you'd like the link to the blog post

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#153 of 175 Old 11-25-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ancho...y/1028483.html

Ok my hormonal body cannot take stories like this. Pregnant woman in labor will not give up her spot in line for her Thanksgiving basket to go to the hospital. Thankfully the staff rushed her to the head of the line so she could leave, but what a statement about what lengths people will go to for food. It makes me so sad.
#154 of 175 Old 11-25-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ancho...y/1028483.html

Ok my hormonal body cannot take stories like this. Pregnant woman in labor will not give up her spot in line for her Thanksgiving basket to go to the hospital. Thankfully the staff rushed her to the head of the line so she could leave, but what a statement about what lengths people will go to for food. It makes me so sad.
Dont read the comments.
#155 of 175 Old 11-26-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Dont read the comments.
Too late. I couldn't help myself. I had to go off. I really, truly, deeply cannot fathom the words from some people's mouth. What ever happened to humanity?

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#156 of 175 Old 11-26-2009, 04:04 PM

Happy tofurkey day ladies!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#157 of 175 Old 11-26-2009, 05:32 PM

Happy Turkey Day! Or whatever you're eating! lol We are having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year. We don't always. But I like turkey and DH doesn't really care for it, so we usually do turkey for either T-Day or Christmas.

Anyone having a crowd over? We have about 8 people coming over -- friends from church and work. Would have been nice to spend it with family, but no one could make it this year. My opa passed away Thanksgiving weekend last year, so hopefully my family in Florida is doing okay.
#158 of 175 Old 11-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Too late. I couldn't help myself. I had to go off. I really, truly, deeply cannot fathom the words from some people's mouth. What ever happened to humanity?
I know! I went back and commented again...... Someone stop me!!!

Happy Turkey day ya'll!
#159 of 175 Old 11-27-2009, 08:39 PM

now I am not one to go all out on Black Friday, in fact I LOATHE it and avoid it at all costs most of hte time however.......

Jo-ann had a killer sale on Flannel today only and I had to get some! So I spent a bunch but I save tons!!!! I'm very satisfied with today shopping!

Besides, the only people shopping Jo-ann's are just like me. No pushing and shoving in a fabric store.
#160 of 175 Old 11-28-2009, 05:19 AM

didn't spend a dime today... I don't like shopping to begin with and the thought of black friday makes me want to duck and cover. Joanns sounds do-able though, glad you scored!

loving all this gorgeous snow, it inspired me to make soup and bake bread I don't understand how baking your own bread is supposed to be thrifty though, cause anytime I bake, we always go through it so quickly (one loaf down already!) maybe if it was a regular occurence we wouldn't all pig out so much??

anyway, just thought I'd stop in and say hi
#161 of 175 Old 11-28-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Happy Turkey Day! Or whatever you're eating! lol We are having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year. We don't always. But I like turkey and DH doesn't really care for it, so we usually do turkey for either T-Day or Christmas.

Anyone having a crowd over? We have about 8 people coming over -- friends from church and work. Would have been nice to spend it with family, but no one could make it this year. My opa passed away Thanksgiving weekend last year, so hopefully my family in Florida is doing okay.
We hosted Thanksgiving this year for DH's grad school classmates. UAF doesn't give Wednesday off so no one could get home. We've never hosted anything like that before but it was a blast. Really awesome.

It was actually fun to cook with my little one. She cooed and babbled away in the living room and DH and I took turns wearing her depending on what dish we were working on (can't chop onions in front of her!). Then, right at the very end, I was reading a recipe and wearing her, she was kicking her little legs and looking around, and suddenly she started screaming! She had kicked the front of the stove!! I felt terrible. The poor babe had burned (well, warmed really, it wasn't that hot) the tips of her toes!

After I recovered from my guilt trip I discovered that the turkey had turned out BEAUTIFULLY! I'm turning in to quite the housewife!

Congrats on the deal, road!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#162 of 175 Old 11-28-2009, 02:01 PM

I just can't do the crowds that come with it. I seriously get stressed out just being surrounded by that many people.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#163 of 175 Old 11-29-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
We hosted Thanksgiving this year for DH's grad school classmates. UAF doesn't give Wednesday off so no one could get home. We've never hosted anything like that before but it was a blast. Really awesome.

It was actually fun to cook with my little one. She cooed and babbled away in the living room and DH and I took turns wearing her depending on what dish we were working on (can't chop onions in front of her!). Then, right at the very end, I was reading a recipe and wearing her, she was kicking her little legs and looking around, and suddenly she started screaming! She had kicked the front of the stove!! I felt terrible. The poor babe had burned (well, warmed really, it wasn't that hot) the tips of her toes!

After I recovered from my guilt trip I discovered that the turkey had turned out BEAUTIFULLY! I'm turning in to quite the housewife!

Congrats on the deal, road!
Ah, that sounds great! we just had the family plus our german intern. She made Spatzel (sp) which was fabulous! Love that stuff. On Friday she left for Hawaii for a week and in exchange we picked up my MIL. So, still 7 in the house. I like having a full house as much as I enjoy just being a few around. It's all good!

Nice job in the Turkey!
#164 of 175 Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 PM

anyone been to the Men's Warehouse here in Anchorage?
DH wanted to stop in last night..... so we dropped off the kids and went back just the 2 of us. Wow! They are treated like Royalty over there! It's all "Sir" this and "Sir" that. Makes you feel very special.

And DH never looked so handsome! HUBBA HUBBA!! {cat calls}
#165 of 175 Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM

The next meeting is on the 11th of December!
@ 7pm

I'll post more details as they arrive.

Hope to see some of you there!
#166 of 175 Old 11-29-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Ah, that sounds great! we just had the family plus our german intern. She made Spatzel (sp) which was fabulous! Love that stuff. On Friday she left for Hawaii for a week and in exchange we picked up my MIL. So, still 7 in the house. I like having a full house as much as I enjoy just being a few around. It's all good!

Nice job in the Turkey!

We spell it spetzle, though I'm not positive that's the correct spelling, either. It is really easy to make. I haven't made it much lately, though we do all love it. It's really good if to reheat the leftovers (if you have any) by frying them with butter. We often use it for chicken noodle soup, too. My SIL and MIL called me awhile back asking me how to make it. Not the easiest thing to explain over the phone, though.
#167 of 175 Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 PM

Just thought I'd let you know...

BABY IS HERE

Wren Kathleen was born at home on Monday November 23rd at 9:35 pm. It was a really short labor of 2.5 hours (after a rather long prodromal/"we don't think this is the real thing" phase). Luckily my midwife did a labor check on me the night before and got everything set up so we were ready to go Monday night. It was a really good birth. I didn't really experience a transition period (in terms of pain or emotionally) and DH was awesome support, as were my midwives at the birth (Susie Terwilliger and Chinmayo Farro).

She's a cutie. She was 8 lbs 2 oz and 20 inches. She's also a super-nurser. She nursed an hour of her first 3 hours - and then slept for 6 hours. Wow!!

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#168 of 175 Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

BABY IS HERE

Wren Kathleen was born at home on Monday November 23rd at 9:35 pm. It was a really short labor of 2.5 hours (after a rather long prodromal/"we don't think this is the real thing" phase). Luckily my midwife did a labor check on me the night before and got everything set up so we were ready to go Monday night. It was a really good birth. I didn't really experience a transition period (in terms of pain or emotionally) and DH was awesome support, as were my midwives at the birth (Susie Terwilliger and Chinmayo Farro).

She's a cutie. She was 8 lbs 2 oz and 20 inches. She's also a super-nurser. She nursed an hour of her first 3 hours - and then slept for 6 hours. Wow!!
AWESOME!!!

Congratulations Liza!! Can't wait to meet her! PM or email me if I can help with anything!

WELCOME Little Wren!!
#169 of 175 Old 11-30-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:

BABY IS HERE

Congrats!!! How wonderful!!
#170 of 175 Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:

YAY and she even let you finish your stuff and get through thanksgiving first! Welcome baby!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#171 of 175 Old 11-30-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I didn't really experience a transition period (in terms of pain or emotionally) and DH was awesome support, as were my midwives at the birth (Susie Terwilliger and Chinmayo Farro).
Good to hear that Chinmayo was great for you. (I am planning on using her too!)

Congrats on baby Wren!
#172 of 175 Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
She's also a super-nurser. She nursed an hour of her first 3 hours - and then slept for 6 hours. Wow!!
Reminds me of my kiddo. He'll sleep for ages then when he wakes he wants to be up for a while...quite a shift from the last DS who woke often but always went back to sleep pretty easily...this baby will wake up, nurse, then still be awake and stare around for a while wondering why he's not asleep.
I hope her super nursing doesn't leave you too sore

yay on baby being here, and on a quick delivery!!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#173 of 175 Old 12-01-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know of good places to buy nice ornaments? Every year we have a few LESS ornaments than the year before (breakage, whatever) and this year we bought a new LED prelit tree and it ended up HUGE. Gorgeous, but HUGE. So now I have even FEWER ornaments, or so it seems. Anyone run into some excellent deals on ornaments? I can't knit or I would make some doily type ones.. at the moment we have crystal type icicles, some feathered birds that clip on, and musical instruments in a gold and cranberry theme. Kinda hoping just to add to what we already have...
#174 of 175 Old 12-01-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

#175 of 175 Old 12-04-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:

BABY IS HERE

Fantastic!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page