Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I would get this up!
#2 of 175 Old 11-01-2009, 02:13 PM

I miss Alaska!!!!!!!!! Here's my whine for the day -- the high today here is 80!! That is just sick and wrong!!!!
#3 of 175 Old 11-01-2009, 02:15 PM

what an amazing Halloween we had! Full moon, warm weather!

#4 of 175 Old 11-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Happy November! What a gorgeous way to kick off a new month. Weather was superb, & well lit, for Halloween.
#5 of 175 Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM

still on babywatch...
After my insane night thur/fri (intense ctx, losing my plug, cervix coming down a little etc) I've had nada since...not even braxton hicks during friday or saturday. I really didn't want to have teh baby on halloween and i'm sure my body knew that In any case, BHs back to normal today, but nothing else. I've more or less lost my cervix again (moved back up/posterior) We finally figured out a middle name for this punkin so now I don't have anythign holding me back, I just want the baby to come already so he can stretch out and stop kicking me in the rib (he just kicks one spot, and I swear I'm bruising there!) It's the full moon tomorrow, so hopefully that will help, right?!
down and out baby, down and out!!!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#6 of 175 Old 11-01-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
down and out baby, down and out!!!
Come on out, little one...

Time change is messing with DS. I think he's falling asleep on the floor, and it's 5:23pm.

It hasn't broken 20 this weekend! Freeze, Kusko, freeze!

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#7 of 175 Old 11-01-2009, 11:34 PM

Jenni - Good luck with the full moon magic.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#8 of 175 Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 AM

eeeeeek! it's Nov! how did that happen?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#9 of 175 Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 PM

I can't believe it's November 2nd and still no snow! I can't remember the last time we got to Nov. snowless.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#10 of 175 Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 PM

yeah, it's kinda freaken me out as well. Even my mom has snow!
#11 of 175 Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 PM

What do I need to have done to my car for winter?

(We intended to take care of this much earlier, but we were a little distracted with Adelaide)

We have recommendations for a place to do the work, but we wanted to get an idea of what we will need before we call them. Any suggestions? I know there's an auto-start option, but I don't know how important that will be (though it sounds pretty handy).

In other news, I got laid off on Friday.
I wasn't working very much, but I was able to work from home and it was all we needed. So now we're trying to decide if we should just live off student loans for the next few months (my employer said it will be hiring everyone back in January ) or if I should be looking for a job. I have a few leads, I just don't know if I want to leave her at all right now. We still nurse every 2 hours (or more) all day. I'm not complaining, because she grew 3 inches last month , but she won't be easy to watch, and I'll HAVE to pump.
I don't know, I suppose this is an issue that every mom has to puzzle through.

On the upside, since I didn't have to work to day I got a LOT done!
  • Got DKC to answer the phone, got new cards, address changed.
  • Got our car payments taken care of through January (paying extra every month paid off!)
  • Got ?s answered by WIC
  • Found connectors for my pump
  • Got all Addie's clothes sorted (again! She's growing so fast)

Next year, I am TOTALLY going to the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I wish I'd checked MDC sooner!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#12 of 175 Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 PM

Oxy, 4H is THE BEST! (at least, it was for me) There are limited programs for 5-8 yr olds, but I think you should be able to find something.

I've also heard that there is a gymnastics gym that has an open hour for kids to run around for $5, and that the library has good story hours.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#13 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 02:02 AM

Sarah, your DD is just too precious! Oh, I love the pics, thanks for sharing!

I'm sorry you lost your job.
#14 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 03:16 AM

Yeah, so after MONTHS of trying to breed some food for our snake, we have hit upon some level of success. Yippee!!

So, did you all know that it is illegal to sell Rats in Anchorage?
#15 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 03:49 AM

Even pet stores, Tammy? That's odd.
#16 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Yeah, so after MONTHS of trying to breed some food for our snake, we have hit upon some level of success. Yippee!!

So, did you all know that it is illegal to sell Rats in Anchorage?
Um, Weird. Do you think the ban on selling rats has anything to do with Rat Island? I heard somewhere that an Alaskan island was overtaken by rats and only recently retaken by humans. Maybe someone was bitter and passed legislation to keep the rats from storming and taking Anchorage too.

Quote:
Sarah, your DD is just too precious! Oh, I love the pics, thanks for sharing!

I'm sorry you lost your job.
If you like the pics, you'll love her videos!
Thanks, I think she's pretty precious myself.

#17 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

So Jenni- how's it going? Did you check in today? You know if you don't check in I am going to think you are UP to something (like having a baby!)!
#18 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Good heavens Pinoikoi, you check in at 20 to 7AM and you want to know if I've checked in yet?! I get the hubby and the older DS out the door about 8, so I don't get online until then at the earliest. Just FYI.
Yesterday I tried to come up with some time consuming projects to keep myself busy (made bread, uploaded a ton of new smilies for another forum I'm admin on). I took a nap with the Bear in case I was going to be up all night, visualized the baby in my arms...got some decent contractions in the afternoon/evening, got DH to give me a prostoglandin application and had about 45min of pretty good ctx after that. But since it was 10pm and I'd only had a 90min nap I knew I should try to rest/sleep in case it was labor. I decided if it kept up for a whole hour then I'd get up and walk around and try to stimulate things, but they quit and I fell asleep before the hour was up, so that tells me that my body isn't quite ready to labor yet i guess. I admit that when I woke up this morning I was a little surprised to be waking up pregnant--the last thing I remembered was glancing at the clock last night amid contractions and thinking "hmm, this might be it!"
Oh well, tomorrow is my sister's birthday, and that's the date I've kinda been thinking on for the entire pregnancy (it's 39wks and the last kiddo was born at 39...)

#19 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Oh, i meant to add...
The announcement will go up on facebook and my blog first probably (it'll take me a little longer to get it to all my message boards ) SO, if you've got facebook and haven't friended me, I'm Jenni Black Brighton (just attach a message to the friend request telling me who you are from here, cuz I don't add people I don't recognize)
ETA--I just went back and hunted down the chat thread where a bunch of you had put your fb info (july, fyi) and I think I added everybody who had shared at that point...

#20 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Even pet stores, Tammy? That's odd.
yes, especially pet stores.
#21 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Um, Weird. Do you think the ban on selling rats has anything to do with Rat Island? I heard somewhere that an Alaskan island was overtaken by rats and only recently retaken by humans. Maybe someone was bitter and passed legislation to keep the rats from storming and taking Anchorage too.
I know Rat Island. It is out by Adak. I never heard that story though. Might be worth checking out. I dont know why Anchorage wont allow pet stores to sell Rats, maybe they are afraid of them being dumped by their owners.
I know Anchorage has a lot of strange laws about animals you cannot have here.

found it! http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...om.html?cat=40

Quote:
If you like the pics, you'll love her videos!
Thanks, I think she's pretty precious myself.
I'll check that out!
#22 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 07:04 PM

just found out that my midwife is catching another baby today, so I guess I'm glad I'm not in labor at the moment...hopefully that baby will hurry up, so midwife can go home and get some rest and I can call her tonight.

#23 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
yes, especially pet stores. We had to travel to the Valley to buy ours.
Anchorage, the Kenai, PWS and a few parts of Western Alaska are still rat-free. We are actually some of the only rat-free places left in the world and rats are blamed for the decline even extinction of bird species around the world. It is actually illegal to have any pet rats in the municipality of Anchorage - permits are required even for lab rats at the university. I'm don't believe there is any exception for rats raised as food for other pets. Anything rats except albino rats are illegal statewide. Crazy in some ways, but once established they are nearly impossible to eradicate even on an isolated rock like Rat Island. More info is on the Stop Rats website: http://www.stoprats.org

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#24 of 175 Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Anchorage, the Kenai, PWS and a few parts of Western Alaska are still rat-free. We are actually some of the only rat-free places left in the world and rats are blamed for the decline even extinction of bird species around the world. It is actually illegal to have any pet rats in the municipality of Anchorage - permits are required even for lab rats at the university. I'm don't believe there is any exception for rats raised as food for other pets. Anything rats except albino rats are illegal statewide. Crazy in some ways, but once established they are nearly impossible to eradicate even on an isolated rock like Rat Island. More info is on the Stop Rats website: http://www.stoprats.org
That. is. fascinating.

I've never been a fan of rats, but it never occurred to me that they might be an invasive species.

#25 of 175 Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
This is really interesting. There are many people that don't know about this since I know that we are not the only people that have bought rats.
Anyway, they are gone. Snake ate them.

We have been breeding Gerbils! LOL They are cuter and I am not freaked out by their tails. Rat tails creep me out.
We started with mice but they breed to slowly! And now our snake it too big for mice. By the time this gerbil thing takes off we'll have move up to Rabbits. Are there any rules about that?

sigh, there are........nevermind. City living sucks.
#26 of 175 Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 PM

No baby.
Mommy is cranky, my appetite is screwy (as though I were in labor), my hips hurt like there's nothign holding them in the sockets, and I keep wandering around chanting "down and out baby, down and out" (if the silly kid will just engage I should go pretty quick...mw says I'm very soft and i can feel it too).
Last night I had a dream that i went and got one of my crochet hooks and broke my water myself I admit it was a terribly tempting notion...unfortunately (or fortunately) the dream continued to a transfer because I'd poked the baby too and hurt him so I'm definitely not going to do something that crazy. Just gotta sit and wait it out...
Today (gestationally) was when I had my last kiddo, so I'm feeling 'overcooked' now, you know? I gotta get me some distractions.

#27 of 175 Old 11-04-2009, 01:10 PM

Jenni, I'm thinking good thoughts for you!

I haven't posted in ages. We're all doing well. I broke my toe last Friday when I literally kicked the bucket (a mop bucket).

A week from today I'll be flying out to Montana for my sister's wedding. I'm going sans husband and kiddos. She's having a bachelorette party the day after arrive and I'm gonna PARTAY!

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#28 of 175 Old 11-04-2009, 05:04 PM

Subbing!

Just got back from a weekend getaway to Seattle. Can't believe we still don't have snow...

Sending you blissful birthing vibes and prayers for a wonderful homebirth, Jenni! I can't wait to find out what you decided on for his name!
#29 of 175 Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
Sending you blissful birthing vibes and prayers for a wonderful homebirth, Jenni! I can't wait to find out what you decided on for his name!
Benjamin Cedric Brighton.
long story how we got to that...I'd figured DH wouldnt' even consider it because of the guy in Harry Potter (because people would think that's where we got it from, and we didn't), but DH had forgotten that it was even in HP! He only remembered that it's from Ivanhoe...it's a good old Saxon name (and since Saxon=Germanic English it covers both bases!). Anyway, it's the one name we both liked that actually fit in with his first and last names...I gotta tell you, picking a first name that has both the same first AND last letters/sounds as the last name makes it really hard to find a workable middle name!!

#30 of 175 Old 11-04-2009, 10:10 PM

So I've been block feeding for a few weeks now and I really hate it. Even at three hour blocks I start to get plugged ducts and it takes forever (forever=2 days, so not really forever) to get them unplugged and comfortable again. DD is 10 weeks now and I am still making a lot of milk. She nurses one breast until she can't drink any more and I can usually still pump about 2oz from that breast. If I pump both breasts after a feeding I can get 4-6 oz no problem.

My freezer is all kinds of full and I don't want all this going to waste. If I'm going to make enough milk for 2 babies, I should go ahead and feed two babies.

MilkShare is the non-profit milk bank right? Does anyone know of any other milk banks I should look into? I'm wondering if some of the national banks might not want to pay for shipping from Fairbanks. I don't know how much cold shipping is, but it can't be cheap.

Also, I'm not consuming any dairy and may be cutting other allergens out as time goes on. Is there a milk bank that could use my milk for other sensitive babies?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page