Ongoing Alaskan mama chat December! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
First ... 3  4  5 6 
Alaska and Hawaii > Ongoing Alaskan mama chat December!
alaskaberry's Avatar alaskaberry 06:36 AM 12-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Anybody NOT have a December anniversary?! (speak now or forever hold your peace!!)

Me! I'm not married though, either! We just celebrate our 1st date anniversary, which is Feb 13. Oh wait, nevermind... Actually we don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
Baby Asher was born yesterday (dec 19th) at home in a UBAC at 8:45pm
Congrats again (I read your birth story, short but sweet )! And I love the name Asher!

We are ready to come home from the lower 48...I never thought I would say that, but there it is. I love my family but I am stArting to dislike the "lower 48" attitude more and more. Plus I hate how everyone just assumes I'm a huge Palin-fan/I live in an igloo/etc just cuz I'm from AK.

(Plz excuse the poor typing, I cut my fingerf open the other night w/ a bread knife and the bandage is really not conducive to typing!)

~PurityLake~'s Avatar ~PurityLake~ 05:44 PM 12-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
I just moved to Anchorage 3 weeks ago so I get to join ya'll in this chat now!!!

Our wed. anniversary was the 10th!
Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
Baby Asher was born yesterday (dec 19th) at home in a UBAC at 8:45pm

so i will be MIA for a wee bit
Hi Asher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
oooh!! This is awesome! I cannot wait to hear your birth story! Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinAK View Post

Oh, and haven't announced it here yet, we're moving to New Zealand next month!! We are so excited!
That is awesome! Where in New Zealand?
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 06:56 PM 12-21-2009
great story! Welcome Asher. I love your name.
brightonwoman's Avatar brightonwoman 03:16 AM 12-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
We are ready to come home from the lower 48...I never thought I would say that, but there it is. I love my family but I am stArting to dislike the "lower 48" attitude more and more. Plus I hate how everyone just assumes I'm a huge Palin-fan/I live in an igloo/etc just cuz I'm from AK.
sent to me by a Canadian friend (in italics--she added her own comments to a couple), but much of it applies to Alaska...you ladies should appreciate it!

Quote:
Now that Vancouver will host the 2010 Winter Olympics, these are some questions people from all over the world are asking. Believe it or not these questions about Canada were posted on an International Tourism Website. Obviously the answers are a joke; but the questions were really asked!
>
> Q: I have never seen it warm on Canadian TV, so how do the plants grow?( England )
> A. We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around and watch them die.
>
> Q: Will I be able to see Polar Bears in the street? ( USA )
> A: Depends on how much you've been drinking. (Probably yes in Churchill on Hudson Bay, but nowhere else.)
>
> Q: I want to walk from Vancouver to Toronto -can I follow the Railroad tracks? (Sweden )
> A: Sure. It's only four thousand miles, so take lots of water.
>
> Q: Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Canada ? ( Sweden )
> A: So it's true what they say about Swedes.
>
> Q: Are there any ATM's (cash machines) in Canada ? Can you send me a list of them in Toronto , Vancouver , Edmonton and Halifax ? ( England )
> A: What, did your last slave die?
>
> Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Canada ? ( USA )
> A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe .. Ca-na-da is that big country to your North...oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Calgary . Come naked.
>
> Q: Which direction is North in Canada ? (USA)
> A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.
>
> Q: Can I bring cutlery into Canada?(England)
> A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do .
>
> Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? ( USA )
> A: Aus-t ri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir sings every Tuesday night in Vancouver and in Calgary, straight after the hippo races. Come naked.
>
> Q: Do you have perfume in Canada ? (Germany )
> A: No, WE don't stink.
>
> Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Where can I sell it in Canada ?( USA )
> A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.
>
> Q: Can you tell me the regions in British Columbia where the female population is smaller than the male population? ( Italy )
> A: Yes, gay nightclubs ..
>
> Q: Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada ? ( USA )
> A: Only at Thanksgiving. (Ours is the second Monday in October. We harvest our crops earlier up north.)
>
> Q: Are there supermarkets in Toronto and is milk available all year round?( Germany )
> A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of Vegan hunter/gatherers. Milk is illegal.
>
> Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Canada , but I forget its name. It's a kind of big horse with horns. ( USA )
> A: It's called a Moose. They are tall and very violent, eating the brains of anyone walking close to them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.
>
> Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? ( USA )
> A: Yes, but you will have to learn it first.
> (My answer: You can "speak" it but we may not understand you if you are from Massachusetts, Georgia, or Texas. Canadian English is about half British, half standard American. French is Canada's other official language, but we don't use it in B.C. We do use Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Korean, Arabic, Punjabi, Hindi, and other languages in this province, and a lot of those folks do not know English at all. I know. I taught ESL. )

spruce's Avatar spruce 03:39 AM 12-22-2009
Jenni, that cracked me up!!

My kids got to watch an "educational" Mickey Mouse DVD the other night...it taught that elephants live in rain forests and people in the North live in Igloos.

I was so disgusted, yet intrigued by the stupidity.

love, p
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 05:27 PM 12-22-2009
cute! I love the moose comment! OMG!
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 10:10 PM 12-22-2009
ALASKA BIRTH NETWORK
Monthly Meeting is January 8th

Mark your calendars!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...4#post14833194
spruce's Avatar spruce 10:57 PM 12-22-2009
So this afternoon, I went out to the hot tub...and I hear clomp, clomp, clomp. Oh, hell, I know what that sound is, and it's NOT a horse coming up my driveway.

Sure enough it was a moose, about 2yo, and thankfully my yelling, "Hey, git!" was enough to make it trot across the property to another area (they like to bed down behind our shop).

Then, of all things, a DOG (a very big dog) with collar, comes bothering me just as I'm certain the moose is not going to want to drink my hot tub water...and I yell at it, too.

Why can't people keep their pets on leads or in yards?

I don't mind the moose, at all. But the dog really made me frustrated.

Ah, Alaska!

love, p
alaskaberry's Avatar alaskaberry 02:34 AM 12-23-2009
Jenni--rotflmao!! That's priceless!

spruce--KWIM! We constantly have other people's dogs coming into our yard to destroy our trash/crap on our paths (always, always the path to the outhouse)/growl at me when I'm getting wood. Sure, dogs should be allowed to "run free"...in their own yards. What you need is to have a friend's dog mark your property. They won't come around again til the snow melts.
spruce's Avatar spruce 05:59 PM 12-23-2009
I don't know how many of us are on "Facebook," these days, but Karen Mitchell (IceQueen) is at the hospital with her mother, whose liver has apparently shut down and who also has a massive tumor on her pancreas.

It's a terrible time to be dealing with the possibility of losing a parent, so if you could all keep her in your thoughts. :

love, penelope
vivalamama's Avatar vivalamama 12:20 AM 12-24-2009
oh no.

Karen, if you read this, know that your mother is in my thoughts. Sending love and strength to you and your family...
1stimestar's Avatar 1stimestar 06:33 AM 12-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
If you want to wear him on back (I like to) and it's cold, you can either wear a normal coat backwards (needs someone to help you zip it, then), or cut a hole in a coat for his head to poke out the back.

See me snowshoeing with my guy (using the latter method) here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=686528202
That's a fantastic picture. I sent you a friends request if you don't know who that is, it's me lol.
Georganne
1stimestar's Avatar 1stimestar 06:35 AM 12-24-2009
Congratulations and welcome Asher.
Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 02:04 PM 12-24-2009
Has anyone heard from Danielle13 for awhile? I was ddc crashing, and I *think* she is expecting twins?
Denali's Avatar Denali 05:22 AM 12-25-2009
Merry Christmas everyone

I don't know Karen, but all the best wishes.....I hope her Mom will recover.

And on a happier note, congratulations on the arrival of Baby Asher.

@CkinAK, I would just love to take your cats (esp. the little black one ), but unfortunately we already have two of our own, older ones with health problems, too, and my husband would probably move to the garage if I told him we should get more cats
Hope you'll find a good home for them.
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 03:50 PM 12-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinAK View Post
Welcome Dearmama!

Congratulations!!!

Oh, and haven't announced it here yet, we're moving to New Zealand next month!! We are so excited!

I do need to rehome our 2 cats though, so if anyone has a place in their home for one or both of them, it would be a huge help. (we had someone lined up for them, but it didn't work out ) I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to our craigslist posting, but here goes (mods, please delete if this is not ok)
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/pet/1518803551.html

Please feel free to forward the posting to anyone you know that may be able to help us! thank you thank you thank you!
found a home yet? Let me discuss this with my family. We have 2 kids (about 9months+) and a dog (kinda crazy, 1 year old German Shorthaird Pointer) and 4 kids (who all love cats) so it is not a quite house but we do love animals.

spruce's Avatar spruce 01:35 AM 12-27-2009
Karen's (IceQueenInAlaska's) mother had surgery today, and has been dx with pancreatic cancer. Please continue to keep their family in your thoughts.

love, penelope
spruce's Avatar spruce 01:36 AM 12-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
found a home yet? Let me discuss this with my family. We have 2 kids (about 9months+) and a dog (kinda crazy, 1 year old German Shorthaird Pointer) and 4 kids (who all love cats) so it is not a quite house but we do love animals.
I love the misspelling...I think you were trying to say you have two CATS (about 9 months), but spelled it kids.

Unless you're keeping goats now?

:

love, p
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 02:58 AM 12-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
I love the misspelling...I think you were trying to say you have two CATS (about 9 months), but spelled it kids.

Unless you're keeping goats now?

:

love, p
hahaha! OMgosh, you are so right. It's funny what your fingers type when your busy with other things.!
So, yeah, I meant 2 cats.
dearmama22's Avatar dearmama22 06:17 PM 12-27-2009
Oh my gosh that picture of you snow sledding with you kid on your back is so cool. Beautiful! I am definately going to try that- great idea!

I'm on facebook too- Samantha Mellen and blog mamanotes.com
dislocator3972's Avatar dislocator3972 01:00 AM 12-28-2009
I don't have time to individually comment on everything, but Congrats to baby Asher and momma!

So Adelaide and I made it perfectly from Fairbanks to Seattle, then Seattle to Minneapolis, then we found out our flight from Minneapolis to Colorado Springs was a 'phantom flight'!! It didn't exist!

So baby and I spent the night in a hotel and arrived in Colorado a day late. Luckily, I had been paranoid and brought PLENTY of diapers. Glad to be a breastfeeding family!

Adelaide is loving all her family and I'm loving to watch her meet them. I think all the sweets are making my milk extra fatty (does it work like that??) because DD is growing SO FAST. I am SURE that she woke up from her nap today significantly bigger than when I put her down.

Colorado is beautiful, and family is wonderful, but I'm sure missing Alaska!
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 11:33 PM 12-28-2009
a phantom flight?? what the?
Icequeen_in_ak's Avatar Icequeen_in_ak 03:37 AM 12-29-2009
Penelope, thanks so much for relaying the info and asking for thoughts/prayers. It's been a really rough week (it seems like it's been an eternity... it's hard to believe we got the diagnosis a week ago).

Mom was released from the hospital yesterday. We see the oncologist next week. They placed the shunt in her liver to help restart it's function and they seem to think it's working, I am, however, not too convinced. Her jaundice seems worse since surgery. They said it would take a week to clear, but she seriously looks much worse than before the procedure. Other than the pain, she seems to be fine though, so maybe I'm just being a little paranoid.

The prognosis isn't good, at all. They've basically told me there is nothing they can do. They talked radiation/chemo to reduce the size of the tumor, but that it's not going to save her. I'm begging her to also check out alternative medicine, as I've read that vit c IVs have been just as successful of reducing tumors as chemo/radiation and the Vit c makes you feel a hell of a lot better than the poison version does.

I'm still having a very hard time digesting everything. It just doesn't seem real.
Denali's Avatar Denali 06:08 AM 12-29-2009
A girlfriend of mine had pancreatic cancer, too.....I'll never be able to understand how they can send people to the moon and clone dogs and everything but just aren't able to find a cure for cancer

All the best wishes for you and your Mom

You're in our thoughts and prayers,

Charlie
1stimestar's Avatar 1stimestar 06:49 AM 12-29-2009
I'm so sorry Karen. I wish I were closer. I'd come down and doula YOU. I hope you have a supportive network of friends to help you with some of the every day life things like laundry and a meal for your family you don't have to cook yourself while you are going through all this and working at supporting YOUR family.
Icequeen_in_ak's Avatar Icequeen_in_ak 03:57 PM 12-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I'm so sorry Karen. I wish I were closer. I'd come down and doula YOU. I hope you have a supportive network of friends to help you with some of the every day life things like laundry and a meal for your family you don't have to cook yourself while you are going through all this and working at supporting YOUR family.
I have been blessed to have AMAZING friends and family who have made endless phone calls, offering to do everything for me, coming and sitting at the hospital with mom and I... just everything. I'm in awe at how blessed I am. I've actually been trying to do all the household stuff myself though... oddly enough, it's kind of like a release for me. Something that takes my mind off of what is really happening. It's kind of become my therapy.

Denali - I hear you on the inability to cure the cancer. My daughter both broke my heart and made it explode all at the same time last week. We explained to her, in very scientific terms, what is wrong with grandma (as a precursor.. my daughter is freakishly advanced academically and prefers things (especially news) delivered in a very non-emotional, statistical fashion) so we explained it was pancreatic cancer, that xx% of patients survive, xx% of patients do not. She asked a million questions about the function of the pancreas, how grandma's tumor is effecting it, etc. Then she turns to me and she says "well... we will just find a cure for it, since no one else can" To which I smiled at her and I told her "I don't think we'll be able to do that before we lose grandma babe" and she looked at me.... straight in the eye and she said "mom.... *I* am going to find a cure for this cancer when I'm old enough, and even though I won't be able to save my grandma... I *will* save somebody elses grandma"
mtn.mama's Avatar mtn.mama 04:26 PM 12-29-2009
Hey, there are dozens of extra fresh eggs in this neck of the woods, due to folks being gone for the holidays. PM me if you know someone in SC who is looking, and we can meet up...
brightonwoman's Avatar brightonwoman 07:05 PM 12-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Then she turns to me and she says "well... we will just find a cure for it, since no one else can" To which I smiled at her and I told her "I don't think we'll be able to do that before we lose grandma babe" and she looked at me.... straight in the eye and she said "mom.... *I* am going to find a cure for this cancer when I'm old enough, and even though I won't be able to save my grandma... I *will* save somebody elses grandma"

My great-grandma died of pancreatic cancer. I was about 10 and not super close to her, but it definitely sensitized me to the search for the cure. I always try to join cancer walks and things for her sake.
Samanthavv's Avatar Samanthavv 11:20 PM 12-29-2009
Iposted this on breastfeeding challenges, but I thought I'd ask my fellow alaskan mamas for input...

Quote:
I have no clue what to do.

First, my son is seven months old, almost 8 months. He was completely, and exclusively bereastfed until he was 6 months and some odd weeks and days. Then he started cereal. Did fine at first. Started some foods too. Did fine... He still nurses the majority of the time and only eats real food one or two times a day. But for the last month... He has been screaming 80% of the time. I'm losing my sanity. I can't sit there and stare at my baby in so much pain and not be able to do anything to help him.

Night time, he wont sleep at all and just screams. These blood curdling horrifying screams. He's in pain. And nothing is helping.

I cut out all dairy and it seemed to help for a little but then it went right back up again. I'm going vegan for the next 30 days, just to see if that helps any because honestly, I have no clue whats wrong with him. And anytime I take him to the doctor they just try to shove formula at me....

I don't know what to do except cry...

Icequeen_in_ak's Avatar Icequeen_in_ak 11:38 PM 12-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthavv View Post
Iposted this on breastfeeding challenges, but I thought I'd ask my fellow alaskan mamas for input...
Have you pulled HIM off all foods and just got back to exclusive nursing for him? I'd be tempted to eliminate his diet first, as he successfully nursed just fine until the introduction of solid foods. So to me (having a daughter who's got food allergies) it sounds like he's reacting to foods that he's eating, not foods you are eating.

I'd try that approach first and see if his symptoms improve. If they do, then you'll know for sure it's his diet and not yours. At his age, he can be fully sustained on breastmilk alone right now. If he doesn't improve, then I'd start taking things out of your diet 1 by 1 (so you know EXACTLY what he's reacting to) or, if you have the ability, take him to the allergy clinic in Anchorage and have him tested. I tried elimination diets on my own for almost a year and ended up pulling my hair out. Nothing I took out made my daughter better. Turns out, she had off the wall allergies and everything I eliminated she was fine with. It was innocuous foods that were the problems (garlic, carrots, pork, rye, etc.) they found all those with a prick and patch test on her. We see Melissa Rathkopf and love her... she's fantastic with kiddos.
First ... 3  4  5 6 

Up