Ongoing Alaskan mama chat December! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 162 Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SamanthaVV-

My only advice comes from a personal experience. When youngest ds was about a year, he would have trouble nursing.. he looked forward to me coming home and would run to the couch to nurse, but would pull off and suck in and then go back to nursing.. off/on/off/on the whole time..

turns out he had cavities, and the nursing action was making his teeth hurt! He ended up having dental surgery scheduled (some of the enamel actually fell off before the surgery because there is a wait list in Anchorage for dental surgery facilities) but after his teeth were extracted, he went back to nursing just fine until just past age 2. I felt pretty bad that I hadn't caught the problem earlier. Hope that isn't it.

Anyway- I have been BUSY the past two days! Check out my project! I reupholstered and refinished all my kitchen chairs.

I hope this works!

damage on chairs (before) worn/stained fabric and chipped paint

Check out the monkeys on the new fabric!

I have to admit, I have had the fabric sitting around for quite some time, and I somehow thought the leaves/foliage were greener than they are, but I love it as is!

Before/After

I hope all those links work!
#152 of 162 Old 12-30-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthavv View Post
Iposted this on breastfeeding challenges, but I thought I'd ask my fellow alaskan mamas for input...

Quote:
I have no clue what to do.

First, my son is seven months old, almost 8 months. He was completely, and exclusively bereastfed until he was 6 months and some odd weeks and days. Then he started cereal. Did fine at first. Started some foods too. Did fine... He still nurses the majority of the time and only eats real food one or two times a day. But for the last month... He has been screaming 80% of the time. I'm losing my sanity. I can't sit there and stare at my baby in so much pain and not be able to do anything to help him.

Night time, he wont sleep at all and just screams. These blood curdling horrifying screams. He's in pain. And nothing is helping.

I cut out all dairy and it seemed to help for a little but then it went right back up again. I'm going vegan for the next 30 days, just to see if that helps any because honestly, I have no clue whats wrong with him. And anytime I take him to the doctor they just try to shove formula at me....

I don't know what to do except cry...
I'm sorry you and your babe are having such a hard time. Dairy was a great first step... can i recommend you go off wheat and see if that makes a difference? Its the number two pediatric food intolerance.

IMO, babies shouldn't be receiving any grains directly until after age 2. Their little bodies do not have the enzymes to digest the grains until age 2 or so.

If you want to talk any of this out, give me a call. My daughter was born with dozens of food allergies and we've been through it all. She is 2.5 now, and has thankfully outgrown most of them with intensive structural work, energy work, massive nutrient supplementation and food eliminations.

We have come far far far. And you're going to make it through this. Don't be afraid to check out the MDC allergy forum in Health and Healing. Everyone is kind there and full of BTDT experience and ideas.

Lets get your babe on track. Hey, how's your vitamin D intake? EFAs? B-12? Zinc? I sincerely do not recommend going vegan at this point. You need to get all the nutrients you can right now, for you and your little one.

Lisa

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#153 of 162 Old 12-30-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
SamanthaVV-

My only advice comes from a personal experience. When youngest ds was about a year, he would have trouble nursing.. he looked forward to me coming home and would run to the couch to nurse, but would pull off and suck in and then go back to nursing.. off/on/off/on the whole time..

turns out he had cavities, and the nursing action was making his teeth hurt! He ended up having dental surgery scheduled (some of the enamel actually fell off before the surgery because there is a wait list in Anchorage for dental surgery facilities) but after his teeth were extracted, he went back to nursing just fine until just past age 2. I felt pretty bad that I hadn't caught the problem earlier. Hope that isn't it.

Anyway- I have been BUSY the past two days! Check out my project! I reupholstered and refinished all my kitchen chairs.

I hope this works!

damage on chairs (before) worn/stained fabric and chipped paint

Check out the monkeys on the new fabric!

I have to admit, I have had the fabric sitting around for quite some time, and I somehow thought the leaves/foliage were greener than they are, but I love it as is!

Before/After

I hope all those links work!
The chairs look great!!! Good Job!
#154 of 162 Old 12-30-2009, 04:45 AM

Well, he WAS having some issues when he was exclusively nursed. I eliminated dairy and he started doing a LOT better, but he was still having issues. And thats when we started giving him food. My milk didn't seem to bother him as much when we gave him food but it was all downhill from there. :-s

I was planning on going vegan for a month anyways, because of a few reasons (health problems, with myself, for one.) And I thought, if I altered how I went about the change, I might be able to pinpoint whats causing his problems.

I'm in Soldotna. And it's kind of hard to get to and from anchorage, and none of my doctors are taking me seriously. Believe me. I've gone to a few already.

I don't think he's teething (he dosent really have any of the signs) and he's pooping just fine. He's nursing until he's done... I let him nurse as long as he wants usually...

Even at night, in a dark quiet room, he still screams. I feel like pulling my hair out, because it just dosen't stop. I love him so much and I hate seeing him so miserable and not knowing how to fix it...

As far as vitamins... I take prenatals. I eat fairly healthy and pretty balanced. Much more so than my husband does! But, I try to keep balanced. I don't eat much junk. I don't eat any dairy unless its on accident because it makes Danny react even worse than he already is...

By the way... what does BTBD mean???

[B]Due on Valentine's Day.
I refuse to be sliced again and I'm documenting my efforts not to be.
#155 of 162 Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

By the way... what does BTBD mean???
Actually it is BTDT. Been There Done That. I think.
#156 of 162 Old 12-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Samanthavv - i also would take him off the solids and go back to just nursing. Working with your diet is a good step BUT since stopping milk helped but didn't fix it i would try dropping wheat/grains. I totally would be suspecting gluten / grain allergies.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#157 of 162 Old 12-30-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
Have you pulled HIM off all foods and just got back to exclusive nursing for him?
that is what i was going to suggest

nak

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#158 of 162 Old 12-31-2009, 06:41 AM

Okay. So, I've switched back to exclusively nursing him. He's been re-exclusively nursing for two days now. He still screamed like crazy, but I'd say it was slightly less than yesterday... not that it helps much. *sigh* Although, I have noticed his poop is transitioning back to exclusively breastfed baby poop... Which is fine by me, because I use cloth diapers and I prefer the breatmilk poo over the yucky food poo! lol

I'm going to get rid of all the wheat and gluten in my diet. I'm just not sure how. I know there's gluten in a TON of things. I had a boyfriend in high school who was allergic and I could never think of anything we COULD have. So, it was really difficult. Are there any specific ingredients I'm looking for that are gluten/wheat products? I don't really know where to start on this one...

And for going vegan, I'm just a few things away from it with how my diet is now, and I was really heartset on it. Is there anyway to go about it safely?

[B]Due on Valentine's Day.
I refuse to be sliced again and I'm documenting my efforts not to be.
#159 of 162 Old 12-31-2009, 03:21 PM

Transition could take awhile. I know its hard kicking gluten, but you can do it. Its SO worth a try... Meanwhile, pick up some food enzymes, and take them with every meal and in between meals... to make sure your body has the tools to break food down, so hopefully the proteins won't be exiting through the gut wall.

I wouldn't kick out meat and eggs yet... its REALLY hard on your body and your nutritional status just to get rid of milk and gluten. Its a big change, and you and your baby need all the protein and B-vitamins and amino acids you can get right now.

Meat and vegetables is the answer! Don't try to replace your breads and muffins and tortillas and treats with gluten free substitutes, especially the commercial kind. Those are nasty, expensive, full of additives and not good for you. If you must bake, use nuts. There are some awesome cookbooks out there for cooking grain free.

If you go to the allergy forum, there's a thread listed in the resource sticky called grain free meals. It has lots of ideas...

You CAN do this. I'm so excited you're on the path to finding answers for you and your babe. All the trouble and heartache will be worth it.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#160 of 162 Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 PM

it's the last day of 2009!!

Happy New Year's Eve Everyone
#161 of 162 Old 01-01-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

#162 of 162 Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Okay. So, I've switched back to exclusively nursing him. He's been re-exclusively nursing for two days now. He still screamed like crazy, but I'd say it was slightly less than yesterday... not that it helps much. *sigh* Although, I have noticed his poop is transitioning back to exclusively breastfed baby poop... Which is fine by me, because I use cloth diapers and I prefer the breatmilk poo over the yucky food poo! lol

I'm going to get rid of all the wheat and gluten in my diet. I'm just not sure how. I know there's gluten in a TON of things. I had a boyfriend in high school who was allergic and I could never think of anything we COULD have. So, it was really difficult. Are there any specific ingredients I'm looking for that are gluten/wheat products? I don't really know where to start on this one...

And for going vegan, I'm just a few things away from it with how my diet is now, and I was really heartset on it. Is there anyway to go about it safely?
I know we've jumped to a new thread, but wanted to answer this. My daughter tested positive for 3 grains when she was first tested, so we just eliminated ALL grains basically. You are correct that gluten is hidden EVERYWHERE. It's in spices, it's in oatmeal, it's in soy sauce, it's in everything.

What we did was to make a monthly trip to New Sagaya (sp?) the Asian store in Anchorage and Costco. Costco sells huge bags of organic Basmati rice, and New Sagaya (I know I'm spelling it wrong) sells TONS of rice pasta. I chose their pasta, because the "gluten free pasta and the like" in the store tastes HORRIBLE and is ridiculously expensive. Since my daughter was such a noodle lover, I had to find some pasta alternative. I made lots of fried rice, flavored with Tamari (if you buy organic it's GF) and fish sauce. Fish sauce is an AMAZING flavor enhancer ... since almost all spices contain wheat.

I have a really good bread recipe for GF bread. It's made from a handful of different types of flours (so a trip to natural pantry to stock your flours would be necessary) and it can be easily altered to be dairy and egg free as well. It's the only bread recipe I found that was moist. It's very heavy, but I could make her a sandwich out of it when she wanted one.

At any rate... like I said, I found if I could make one trip to Anchorage a month, I could stock up on just about everything I needed to successfully feed her gluten free. And the cost savings made the trip and the gas totally worth while.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page