Ongoing Alaskan mama chat December! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 162 Old 12-01-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lovin December!

So I realized today is the first and we need a new thread!

Anyone know where I can get a BUNCH of ornaments on the cheap?
#2 of 162 Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 PM

Hmmm i noticed freds on ornaments had a sale but not sure on what or how good it was.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#3 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 04:44 AM

subbing!
#4 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 AM

Is it December already....??

Fred's has a general 25% off ornaments sale plus there's a 10 % off "HOME" coupon in the flyer, so the savings are not too bad if you combine the two. (I bought a box of shatterproof ones today....am not going to use my nice glass ones with a 2 year old in the house )

If you want simple, boxed ornaments, I think Walmart is probably still cheaper. Individual ornaments are probably better at Fred's.
Has anyone checked Target?
#5 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 PM

I know Joann's had some really nice ornaments last year. They are pricier, though, unless you hit sales and/or have coupons. We aren't decorating this year as the kids and I are going to Florida next weekend, DH joins us later, and we don't get back until the 2nd. But we will get to put up the tree at my parents' house. Maybe at my oma's house as well. Not sure if she's putting one up or not.
#6 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know of good places to buy nice ornaments? Every year we have a few LESS ornaments than the year before (breakage, whatever) and this year we bought a new LED prelit tree and it ended up HUGE. Gorgeous, but HUGE. So now I have even FEWER ornaments, or so it seems. Anyone run into some excellent deals on ornaments? I can't knit or I would make some doily type ones.. at the moment we have crystal type icicles, some feathered birds that clip on, and musical instruments in a gold and cranberry theme. Kinda hoping just to add to what we already have...
I always like etsy, though that's not so much budget usually...
I like the box sets of glass balls and you can get them most anywhere...Freddys, joann, walmart, probably costco...

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#7 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 03:26 PM

anybody have nursing pillow recommendations?
I never got one last time, but I'm now realizing that we had a couple of throw pillows on that couch and I always grabbed one...we don't have that couch (or thsoe pillows) anymore and I'm finding myself frequently wishing for something to put under baby...I know the boppy is a big name brand, but are there others that are better (or cheaper?!) I'm thinking I should tell DH this is what I want for Christmas.

#8 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
anybody have nursing pillow recommendations?
I never got one last time, but I'm now realizing that we had a couple of throw pillows on that couch and I always grabbed one...we don't have that couch (or thsoe pillows) anymore and I'm finding myself frequently wishing for something to put under baby...I know the boppy is a big name brand, but are there others that are better (or cheaper?!) I'm thinking I should tell DH this is what I want for Christmas.
I really never cared for nursing pillows. I would usually just have a pillow of some sort on hand. The ones that worked best were small square pillows that were quite firm.
#9 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 05:00 PM

My mom made a boppy-like pillow. It has worked for two kiddoes so far. I think we borrowed a boppy and she traced the pattern. I'm sure you could find a pattern on line as well. That way you can make if a firm or loose as you want it.

Sue, moving to ANC in 28 days!!

Sue, mama to Spitfire (4/06) energy.gif, a Firecracker (9/08) blahblah.gif, and Chill baby (3/12)namaste.gif

signcirc1.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gif

#10 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 PM

I've been searching old bf threads here on MDC, as well as reading reviews on amazon for nursing pillows...
People seem to like boppies, UNLESS they have tried "my brest friend" and then they think that MBF is much much better. I checked out a MBF when I was pg with last ds, and thought it seemed bulky and kindof a hassle...on the other hand a lot of folks think the boppy is kinda wussy.

#11 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

I thought the boppy was too firm, but I do think it depends on how tall your torso is. If you stick it on your lap, how far up does it go towards your chest? So I don't think it is a perfect fit for every BODY.
#12 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 08:02 PM

I'm quite long in the torso, although my big bust hangs long *ahem* I should say, it hangs long except in the early months of breastfeeding, when it's more like what my friend calls "bazonga boobs" and that's precisely where we're at right now and why I'm needing somethign to hold the kiddo a bit higher.

#13 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 08:38 PM

I really liked my Boppy....but then again I have never tried the MBF, so I have no comparison
#14 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 10:54 PM

i had a pretty boppy but t was annoying as all heck to use i got one from formers market though that had buckwheat in it which was much better.... that way i could shift the buckwheat inside however i needed to make it comfy... mostly i used it for a wrap pillow for ds when he took naps on the couch so he couldn't roll off but it was still nice

you might be able to find one like that on etsy or something.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#15 of 162 Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 PM

I have never made a video montage before, but when Ben was born right around sunrise, this song came into my head and I knew I wanted to make something like this...
baby ben's birth and first few days

#16 of 162 Old 12-03-2009, 04:24 AM

How cool, Jenni!! What a good looking crew of boys you have. I love the shot of the dog. lol
#17 of 162 Old 12-03-2009, 05:03 AM

I've been a tester for both and used a boppy by choice. I didn't care for MBF but boppies are a bit too firm. I like the buckwheat idea as it would be more helpful to be able to shift the support where you need it most.
#18 of 162 Old 12-03-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I've been a tester for both and used a boppy by choice. I didn't care for MBF but boppies are a bit too firm. I like the buckwheat idea as it would be more helpful to be able to shift the support where you need it most.
This morning I just grabbed my pillow off my bead (doh!) and whaddya know, it worked beautifully. So maybe I'll scratch the 'nursing pillow' idea and just use a pillow for nursing.

#19 of 162 Old 12-03-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
How cool, Jenni!! What a good looking crew of boys you have. I love the shot of the dog. lol

When people give me that sympathetic "oh, all boys huh?" I say "Yup, we found a good recipe so we thought we'd just stick with it!"
that dog thinks she's a human. We joke about how we all have animal pseudonyms, and that if she had a pseudonym it would be 'human'

#20 of 162 Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post

Lovin December!

So I realized today is the first and we need a new thread!

Anyone know where I can get a BUNCH of ornaments on the cheap?
You can paint your own pretty cheaply. Michael's has plain glass ones and glass paint. I don't remember what it cost exactly, but I remember feeling like it was way too much fun for the money.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#21 of 162 Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

I found a wooden crate of ornaments on craigslist for $5. Turns out they are the Thomas Piccone handblown glass ornaments from QVC. Unfortunately we already broke one.

But 40 ornaments in a crate for $5? Steal.
#22 of 162 Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 AM

With DS - I used a My Breast Friend and really liked it. But IMO its downsides are having to buckle it around you and I think the right side of the pillow is a little too narrow at the buckle. I'm also really large busted (like H cup now). I also got a Boppy for DS - for nighttime nursing in bed when I'm too sleepy to successfully operate a buckle but also so DS won't fight me for the pillow. I like the flat shelf design of the MBF - the "sloped" part of the Boppy is the the wrong place for big boobs IMO. But the little head bumps on the MBF are also in the wrong place for big boobies. I've seen used Bobby's in the used kid stores around town, but personally I wouldn't get a used one from a stranger b/c of all of the spit-up etc.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#23 of 162 Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
I thought the boppy was too firm, but I do think it depends on how tall your torso is. If you stick it on your lap, how far up does it go towards your chest? So I don't think it is a perfect fit for every BODY.
I agree with this although I really liked mine. I think a homemade version would be quite ideal and not so firm!
#24 of 162 Old 12-04-2009, 11:53 AM

Congrats on the baby, liza!

I never had a boppy pillow. I just used a pillow for the football hold, or nursed lying down. The boppy I used at the hospital kind of annoyed me, too firm.

Pinoikoi--You should just handmake them! Or you could post a request on freecycle and see if anyone is getting rid of theirs.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#25 of 162 Old 12-04-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I found a wooden crate of ornaments on craigslist for $5. Turns out they are the Thomas Piccone handblown glass ornaments from QVC. Unfortunately we already broke one.

But 40 ornaments in a crate for $5? Steal.
Great deal

Fred's has raised their discount on ornaments to 30 % now, but you can't beat that price
#26 of 162 Old 12-04-2009, 03:58 PM

Holiday Traditions.....

Care to share yours?

Since neither of us are religious and we dont come from a line if cool family traditions, we kinda make up an eclectic mix of holiday traditions as we go along.

what do you guys do for the holidays??
#27 of 162 Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Holiday Traditions.....

Care to share yours?

Since neither of us are religious and we dont come from a line if cool family traditions, we kinda make up an eclectic mix of holiday traditions as we go along.

what do you guys do for the holidays??
We have quite a few--lots of traditional foods of course and then some of our family traditions are religious (like reading the Bible story aloud on christmas eve), but most of our traditions are actually based on the traditions from the countries where our ancestors are from.
I have slowly been collecting one ornament from (or representing) each country where our ancestors came from.
We make several foods from those countries.
On the 23rd ("Little Christmas Eve") we have a traditional Norwegian christmas dinner. We figured that the 24th and 25th get filled up with other things--including traditional american christmas dinners--but the 23rd can always be ours.
We open one gift on christmas eve (a la germanic heritage)--it's usually matching jammie pants for everyone.
We also have a couple things that are a little hit or miss...we love making goodie plates and then doorbell ditching them to friends or neighbors (half the time we sign the note on the plate, but we still try to get away without getting caught--it's about the excitement, not about anonymity)
Being part of Holiday Helper is something that's becoming a tradition too. My 9yo and I at least go through toys, books, etc that we have and look for gently used things (or new things that we don't need/want and can regift) to send to families in need. We never have--and quite likely never will--have the budget to go shopping for large things, but we always seem to have a few things around the house, or I knit up a couple hats or make a couple diapers or whatever. DS had some books that grandma had sent him this summer that he wasn't interested in, so I asked if he'd like to send them to HH, and he got all excited because he remembered picking out some GU toys last year to send.

#28 of 162 Old 12-04-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Let's see... we build a snowman. Go sledding and then have cocoa.

My parents always did midnight mass with us, but my kiddos are awfully small still so we haven't done it with them yet, but will in the future I think.

We do things for different charities- but that is a personal choice I think which ones people participate in. I would like to serve food at a soup kitchen but for now mostly we sponsor families- MDC MIN, Angel tree (some years), Toys for Tots once, etc.
#29 of 162 Old 12-05-2009, 02:47 AM

Lebkuchen and pfeffernuse. Rum balls and brandy candy (weinbonen -- but brandy candy is easier to say and remember). We do the chocolate advent calendars. We used to get them straight from Germany, but now we get them at the commissary. Actually, i think the last few years they've had them at Wal-Mart, but i don't know if they're really the same. We have done St Nick before -- leave your shoes outside your door on December 6th (I think -- it's been awhile), but we've not done that in several years. I should start that back up. We open one gift each on Christmas Eve. Christmas morning we all hunt for the pickle on the tree to see who gets the extra gift. That's a German tradition. Throughout December we watch all the old Rankin and Bass movies. Stockings get opened on someone's bed. The older two usually gather on Aiden's bed to dig through their stuff. I think they do it because they know I used to do that with my brother and sister. I think that's about it. Those all pretty much come from my side. There are some traditional food things in the stockings -- marzipan bars and the chocolate gold coins. From Andrew's side the only traditions really are to put the stockings on the foot of the bed after they are filled (his mom did that so the kids would let them sleep in a little longer) and an orange in the toe of the stocking, which I understand to be an English tradition (my MIL was born and raised in England). So, we do those.

Oh, and our other big tradition is to put our tree up on the 16th, no matter what else is going on. But that is because I had a younger brother who died as a baby and his birthday was the 16th. It is our way of remembering him.
#30 of 162 Old 12-05-2009, 04:00 AM

ah, all those sound so wonderful!

Since we have no family traditions other then church and presents, we have tried to come up with our own. I wish I knew my heritage, that would be wonderful to have something tangible and memorable to go along with your family history.

We have our German Intern here this year. Maybe we will surprise her with some German Christmas Traditions! I like the Shoe Idea and the pickle!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page