Homebirth in Alaska ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH is considering becoming an Alaska State Trooper and I'm a student Midwife so I'm interested in midwifery/homebirth in that state. I obviously have no idea where we would end up, but it's good to know ahead of time.

Grace: Student Midwife Christ Follower, : to 3 busy babes and to #4
#2 of 34 Old 12-10-2009, 07:01 PM

Alaska has a very vibrant midwife community here! Wasilla and Palmer in particular have a lot of homebirthing midwives and many many ladies in the "valley" have out of hospital births!

Currently I know that Via Vita Midwifery program is accepted here as a distance learning program for those wanting to become certified.

Also check out the Alaska Birth Network in my siggy. Look at the provider guide for a list of some of our local midwives.
#3 of 34 Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM

That's good to know. I'm moving to Anc in 20 days. I have had two wonderful births with two different midwives in two different states. Looking to make it three in three different states!! I will be seeing you at the NEtwork!!

Sue

Sue, mama to Spitfire (4/06) energy.gif, a Firecracker (9/08) blahblah.gif, and Chill baby (3/12)namaste.gif

signcirc1.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 34 Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 PM

fairbanks has a pretty good midwife group here too. there are several 'approved' training programs sot hat probably wont be a problem. Who are you working through now? Laws for midwifery require licencing for working (or you know the student / trainer thing) and are pretty good... anything 'high risk' normally midwives can't attend but all low risk is possible.

with him becoming a trooper you may end up somewhere smaller but there are plenty of midwives in ak who would be happy to point you int he right direction.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#5 of 34 Old 12-11-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I see that licensure is required in AK, but what about CPM's delivering breech, VBAC, twins, ect. I read the regulations for licensure in AK and it's not good for how I want to run my practice open to all women. A CDM in AK cannot deliver a mom where there's PROM (water breaking) for more than 24hrs, before 37wks or after 42wks.

What do preggo mamas do when they want to have a VBAC at home or breech or go over 42wks. ? Do they seek out a non-licensed midwife? Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
fairbanks has a pretty good midwife group here too. there are several 'approved' training programs sot hat probably wont be a problem. Who are you working through now? Laws for midwifery require licencing for working (or you know the student / trainer thing) and are pretty good... anything 'high risk' normally midwives can't attend but all low risk is possible.

with him becoming a trooper you may end up somewhere smaller but there are plenty of midwives in ak who would be happy to point you int he right direction.

#6 of 34 Old 12-12-2009, 03:15 AM

We so desperately need a midwife in Kodiak! Come here, come here!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#7 of 34 Old 12-12-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grcelizabeth View Post
I see that licensure is required in AK, but what about CPM's delivering breech, VBAC, twins, ect. I read the regulations for licensure in AK and it's not good for how I want to run my practice open to all women. A CDM in AK cannot deliver a mom where there's PROM (water breaking) for more than 24hrs, before 37wks or after 42wks.

What do preggo mamas do when they want to have a VBAC at home or breech or go over 42wks. ? Do they seek out a non-licensed midwife? Thank you for your help.
Yes, the regulations in AK are rather restrictive and that is something I personally am very interested in changing (I am a VBACer)

I know there are a few traveling midwives in AK and from other states that will come to women for VBACs or other "high" risk pregnancies.

I would suspect the AK midwives that attend these are not licenced.

CNM's can do VBACs and the ones here in Anchorage that work at Geneva Woods birthing center will take on one VBAC client a month.
#8 of 34 Old 12-12-2009, 12:33 PM

I am planning a homebirth in Anchorage with a midwife as well.

Twin homebirth is illegal (well, my midwife said something about unless it is "surprise" twins)

I had an early ultrasound to make sure there was only one in there before I switched care providers though just in case.
#9 of 34 Old 12-12-2009, 05:10 PM

I agree that CPM's are restricted here, and I wish they could do more, but I also think we are pretty lucky up here. We have really good support from consumers, a great midwife community, and, while there have been some bad experiences, we actually have pretty good support from the larger medical system. The mw I am apprenticing with, and she's been a midwife up here since 1992, has not had a bad transfer experience and is happy with the support she gets from the medical system.

For those who do want to VBAC or twins or breech, get a traveling midwife. I know of one unlicensed mw in Alaska who will travel around the state for women. What is unfortunate is that few people know about her, obviously, so many of those who would like a homebirth for "high risk" pg, may not know about her. I was one of those, and I wish I had known of her. Anyway, so if you chose to go unlicensed, you would probably get plenty of business with VBAC's alone...
#10 of 34 Old 12-12-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post
I agree that CPM's are restricted here, and I wish they could do more, but I also think we are pretty lucky up here. We have really good support from consumers, a great midwife community, and, while there have been some bad experiences, we actually have pretty good support from the larger medical system. The mw I am apprenticing with, and she's been a midwife up here since 1992, has not had a bad transfer experience and is happy with the support she gets from the medical system.
So does this mean you're not apprenticing with the womon we discussed at your house? Because I certainly had a bad transfer experience with her, and I know of others who did too.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#11 of 34 Old 12-12-2009, 06:36 PM

No, we had an opportunity come up in Anchorage and made a snap decision to move there.

I am apprenticing with Chinmayo Forro, and I adore her.
#12 of 34 Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 PM

Thats awesome Mistee... I've heard good things about Chinmayo. Cheers!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#13 of 34 Old 12-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoViMama View Post
That's good to know. I'm moving to Anc in 20 days. I have had two wonderful births with two different midwives in two different states. Looking to make it three in three different states!! I will be seeing you at the NEtwork!!

Sue

And thanks Lisa!
#14 of 34 Old 12-13-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:

I am apprenticing with Chinmayo Forro, and I adore her.
Cool! Will you still be apprenticing in June? I will have my first appt with Chinmayo on the 22nd and hoping to homebirth with her for summer solstice!

Ha ha I might actually get to meet another mdc mama irl!
#15 of 34 Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Cool! Will you still be apprenticing in June? I will have my first appt with Chinmayo on the 22nd and hoping to homebirth with her for summer solstice!

Ha ha I might actually get to meet another mdc mama irl!
I sure hope I'm still with her in June! I'm just starting my apprenticeship, I've got years to go. Cool, I will see you on the 22nd then!
#16 of 34 Old 12-13-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:

For those who do want to VBAC or twins or breech, get a traveling midwife. I know of one unlicensed mw in Alaska who will travel around the state for women. What is unfortunate is that few people know about her, obviously, so many of those who would like a homebirth for "high risk" pg, may not know about her. I was one of those, and I wish I had known of her. Anyway, so if you chose to go unlicensed, you would probably get plenty of business with VBAC's alone...
Tell me about it! I have spent 10 years looking for that elusive Traveling Midwife for a VBAC. And I heard of her just 1 week ago today. I just hope to get the opportunity to have another VBAC. If I do, I might hire her!
#17 of 34 Old 12-19-2009, 03:55 PM

Speaking of traveling midwives. I just got word that another Alaskan has had a successful HBAC!
#18 of 34 Old 01-08-2010, 04:43 AM

Juneau has a decent homebirth/natural birth community. I think the birth center has 2 midwives plus apprentices, and I'm on the mailing list for the doula group (I live elsewhere but got my training there).

Ketchikan just lost its only HB midwife, so we'd LOVE one here!
#19 of 34 Old 01-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Look at that M and E! Career opportunities in Kodiak and Ketchikan!
#20 of 34 Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM

Ha ha! While I love Kodiak, quite beautiful, and my style...I really need to be able to drive. Otherwise I get very antsy. Homer was bad enough. Never been the KTN, but same problem.
#21 of 34 Old 01-10-2010, 06:41 PM

Despite the regulations, Alaska is an excellent place to be a midwife because its much easier to get paid. Half of all births are Medicaid. Unlike most states, Alaska medicaid (Denali Kid Care) covers homebirth and birthing centers. If you are in a rural area you most likely will get an especially warm welcome because of the lack of services. We'd love to have you!
#22 of 34 Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBACtivist View Post
Despite the regulations, Alaska is an excellent place to be a midwife because its much easier to get paid. Half of all births are Medicaid. Unlike most states, Alaska medicaid (Denali Kid Care) covers homebirth and birthing centers. If you are in a rural area you most likely will get an especially warm welcome because of the lack of services. We'd love to have you!
You know, I hadn't thought of that, but it is very true. I have a friend in southwest Alaska, and she desperately wanted a midwife attended birth.. Well, she flew into Anchorage, got a crash course in an essentially private day and a half childbirth class, got her bloodwork checked and gave birth two weeks later. I am not sure how much prenatal care she ended up with all told (I am sure she had some done with a nurse or someone where she was) but I am sure it wasn't as much as she would have liked with a midwife..
#23 of 34 Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
You're so right! I really wish Tricare would get on the band wagon and start paying for midwives and hombirths.
#24 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

What is M and E?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Look at that M and E! Career opportunities in Kodiak and Ketchikan!
Honestly, I'm not becoming a Midwife for the income. It sounds like it would be easier to be paid, but I really want to specialize in VBAC, breech, and twins. It's not a big deal here to have a midwife attend a VBAC or breech and my heart really goes out to the mamas in AK who don't even have the opportunity or are shot down 99% of the time by regular OB's. A laboring woman is more likely to die from a c-section than a ruptured uterus from a VBAC! How ridiculous is that? Women need support. IF WE GO TO AK, then I probably would be a huge advocate trying to push the regulations.

Quote:

#25 of 34 Old 01-15-2010, 03:54 PM

M is me (Mistee) and E is Elke, another MDC momma on here (HBACtivisit).
#26 of 34 Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
What is M and E?

Yes, I was not sure about writing others names on here. But Mistee answered you on that one!

Honestly, I'm not becoming a Midwife for the income. It sounds like it would be easier to be paid, but I really want to specialize in VBAC, breech, and twins. It's not a big deal here to have a midwife attend a VBAC or breech and my heart really goes out to the mamas in AK who don't even have the opportunity or are shot down 99% of the time by regular OB's. A laboring woman is more likely to die from a c-section than a ruptured uterus from a VBAC! How ridiculous is that? Women need support. IF WE GO TO AK, then I probably would be a huge advocate trying to push the regulations.

This is where my heart lies as well. You can still get paid for what you do. But you would not be able to get licensed here until the regs change.
#27 of 34 Old 01-17-2010, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

It's very hard for an un-licensed MW to get clients since she cannot advertise or else the boards come after you. It just takes a long time to get clients by word-of-mouth only and no websites or a business name.

I appreciate your ladies' help though. DH isn't positive if he wants to move us there now and put the kids and I thru all of it, just for his dreams. I'm completely supportive, but I think he's also scared of not passing the academy. Who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
This is where my heart lies as well. You can still get paid for what you do. But you would not be able to get licensed here until the regs change.

#28 of 34 Old 01-17-2010, 04:09 AM

Quote:
It's very hard for an un-licensed MW to get clients since she cannot advertise or else the boards come after you. It just takes a long time to get clients by word-of-mouth only and no websites or a business name.

I appreciate your ladies' help though. DH isn't positive if he wants to move us there now and put the kids and I thru all of it, just for his dreams. I'm completely supportive, but I think he's also scared of not passing the academy. Who knows?
I'm not so sure about that. The one lady I spoke too seemed to be doing quite well. Has been a midwife for 25 years and is the main source of income for their family. A new midwife will definitely have to get into the right circles but you already know some of the right people right here on this board.
#29 of 34 Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 AM

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post

For those who do want to VBAC or twins or breech, get a traveling midwife. I know of one unlicensed mw in Alaska who will travel around the state for women. What is unfortunate is that few people know about her, obviously, so many of those who would like a homebirth for "high risk" pg, may not know about her. I was one of those, and I wish I had known of her. Anyway, so if you chose to go unlicensed, you would probably get plenty of business with VBAC's alone...[/quote

Hi. How can I get in touch with this midwife?
#30 of 34 Old 05-24-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millicent View Post

Interesting this thread popped up again. Turns out there is a HUGE issue with Medicaid right now and if things dont change, the midwives will no longer be accepting DKC as it is too restrictive.  I'll keep you all posted.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page