Why do you like/dislike AK? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH is considering being a State Trooper in Alaska so I'm curious as to what you all have to say. THanks.

Grace: Student Midwife Christ Follower, : to 3 busy babes and to #4
#2 of 22 Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 PM

I love Alaska. Currently I live in Anchorage but I prefer Fairbanks. I like the smaller communities and everything about them. The cold of the Interior does not bother me at all. The fog and dreery skies of Anchorage do bother me a bit though. Depressing.

What do I love about Alaska?
the freedom
the people
the mystique
the wilderness in my backyard
the schools and homeschooling support
great birthing options!
hunting, trapping, fishing
4x4ing
Log Cabins
Wood stoves
mukluks
BBQing at -20
The Northern Lights
the squeaking of the snow under foot at -30
the fire works at new years
the camping
the blue loon
long awesome summer days with sunny weather nearly every day!
having a cattle trough for a tub on your front porth and no one blinks an eye.
Taking showers at the laundry mat cuz you live in a dry cabin.
Swimming at the Alaskan Club and using their showers in lue of going to the laundry mat.
Knowing many people for all over the state
Being able to say "i live in Alaska!"
Going to Fairbanks for the Midnight Sun Run
Watching the Ice Dogs Hockey
Riding a 4-wheeler in town and it is allowed!
Going to the water wagon for water and running into old friends
Getting Ice Cream from the Justa Store after a trip to the Water Wagon
Golden Days
Driving to Girdwood
Clam Digging
Berry picking
the Fairbanks Farmers Market
Talkeetna
The friendly farmers in Delta Junction
Norhtern Lights Dairy Milk (yum)
Fresh Eggs from my MCD friend in willow!
#3 of 22 Old 12-11-2009, 03:03 AM

I agree with everything Tammy said, I'm up in Fairbanks and absolutely LOVE it! I even love the cold and dark (makes me feel like a hibernating mama bear )

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#4 of 22 Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 PM

because i have always lived here and it's home.

and i like that it is unique (but isn't everywhere?) and that alaska is like one giant small town...

Katie
#5 of 22 Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 PM

The only thing I don't like is the distance from family and how darn expensive it is to get out of here to see people. I've missed four funerals of grandparents/great-grandparents because of cost and distance.

Jenn
#6 of 22 Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM

I like that I live in a State that has a budget that isn't underwater.. I really don't want to leave my sons with ADDITIONAL government debt if I can help it (not trying to be political, but it is a concern of mine and nixes my living in SOME places).

I like that my job is stable and dp's and our economy hasn't been hit by the recession as bad as many other places.

I like that I can get out to nature whenever I feel like it - not locked in as it were.

I like waking up looking at the mountains.

I like having an affordable mortgage (although this wasn't always true for us sadly)

I like that Anchorage is a hub for airlines- I can go anywhere I want relatively easily. Expensive, yes, but I can go to Bangkok or Hawaii or California..

I like that in Alaska it is normal to REALLY love your pet like a family member

I like the independent nature of people

I like the diverse communities. A strong Filipino community is super important to us. Not hard to find here at all.

We really like our church community.

Our neighborhood specifically has a natural food grocery, nice big library, movie theatre, restaurants, regular grocery stores all within walking distance.

I have lived other places for short times. I have traveled many many places. I can't imagine living anywhere else unless my health required it. One town in Alaska may not be a good fit for any one person, but the State is so large that finding a town that is a good fit is highly likely. I have lived in several different regions of the State and they are all very different.
#7 of 22 Old 12-12-2009, 05:14 PM

I like all of the above. Those who chose to live up here are, for the most part, unique people. I like that.

What I don't like is the cost of travel. I really really don't like that. I miss my family, and they are just in Seattle so not too far, but tickets for all of us is just too much.

I don't like how long winter is-I like winter, but by March I am so freaking done with it. But it is not done with us...

I was born up here, still have some family, but most have migrated out. I think, eventually, we will as well.
#8 of 22 Old 12-13-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I have lived other places for short times. I have traveled many many places. I can't imagine living anywhere else unless my health required it. One town in Alaska may not be a good fit for any one person, but the State is so large that finding a town that is a good fit is highly likely. I have lived in several different regions of the State and they are all very different.
This I totally agree with. I have lived in 4 towns in Alaska so far. For a total of about 14 years. Right now we have spent about 18 months in Anchorage. I am growing accustomed to it but I know in my heart this is not my "home".
#9 of 22 Old 12-14-2009, 05:40 PM

I haven't read the rest of the replies, but

-lots of outdoor activities
-incredible scenery
-PFDs
-slower pace of life

DISLIKES:
-cost of living (particularly in rural areas - I think Anchorage is cheap - I don't live in Anchorage!)
-need to fly to get anywhere (because of where we live)

If your DH goes through training he'll be in Sitka (which is on an island, must fly or boat into it)... and then likely assigned to a rural posting at some point. I've been all over the state and I'm partial to southeast Alaska (we currently live in Bethel, on the far western side of the state - no roads here either)... there's a lot to like in Alaska as far as I'm concerned! I've lived here for 27 (of 29) years and can't imagine leaving the state!

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#10 of 22 Old 12-27-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
This I totally agree with. I have lived in 4 towns in Alaska so far. For a total of about 14 years. Right now we have spent about 18 months in Anchorage. I am growing accustomed to it but I know in my heart this is not my "home".
If anyone is a Fairbanksian at heart, it's you!
#11 of 22 Old 01-01-2010, 06:14 AM

I'm a new "Alaskan". I am a born and bred Texan and I love that Alaska has that same feeling. People are warm, caring, outdoorsy, understanding, and proud of where they live. It makes me feel like home... a very home, but home. The snow is nice. You'd think it would be a bother but I really do love it. I can't wait for my first summer. Winter is beautiful. I can't even imagine the shades of green this place can produce.

Stationed in Fairbanks. Wife to my amazing DH! Mommy to first born son Cody (12/4/09) and furr baby Shadow (04/30/07)!
#12 of 22 Old 01-01-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryen View Post
I'm a new "Alaskan". I am a born and bred Texan and I love that Alaska has that same feeling. People are warm, caring, outdoorsy, understanding, and proud of where they live. It makes me feel like home... a very home, but home. The snow is nice. You'd think it would be a bother but I really do love it. I can't wait for my first summer. Winter is beautiful. I can't even imagine the shades of green this place can produce.
#13 of 22 Old 01-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Welcome indeed!
#14 of 22 Old 01-01-2010, 07:52 PM

Lol thanks. I posted once in here somewhere then forgot about it until Road reminded me. Glad to have a group to talk to.

Stationed in Fairbanks. Wife to my amazing DH! Mommy to first born son Cody (12/4/09) and furr baby Shadow (04/30/07)!
#15 of 22 Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM

I find that people love it or hate it. And, not just surviving winter but ENJOYING winter makes a huge difference in whether people stay or not.

Winter rocks. Although, I must say I've been wearing my winter skirt the past couple of chilly days.
#16 of 22 Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 PM

Yeah, I got a question... why so many skirts? So many women here wear skirts in -20 and below. Is it a religion thing? An Alaskan mentality for femininity? It just seems strange that so many women wear them in such cold weather.

#17 of 22 Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I got a question... why so many skirts? So many women here wear skirts in -20 and below. Is it a religion thing? An Alaskan mentality for femininity? It just seems strange that so many women wear them in such cold weather.
Old Believers wear them for religion. I know some women in my Catholic church that wear them for "modesty." I lived in Russia for a while and almost all the women wore tall boots and long skirts EVERYWHERE- and it was for formality (a bit) but also for warmth... some skirts are quite warm.

I think the previous poster might have been talking about the skirts that are like snowsuit material, though.. let me see if I can find a link.. they are quite warm.

http://www.skinnyraven.com/index.php...egory=products

I want one REALLY badly.
#18 of 22 Old 01-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Oh my gosh! very cute!

Yeah the women I see wearing skirts are all in jean skirts for the most part. Some have their hair covered like I am used to seeing with religious clothing but some don't which kinda threw me.

#19 of 22 Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post

I want one REALLY badly.
She gives a teacher discount if you order off her website. I think it's something like snowsmart.com ? Too lazy to look up. But, OMG they are fabulous. It's always my quads & butt that freezes so this is just the perfect layer. When I am skiing, I zip it up to mid thigh & have full movement. I just like the knee level but I went w/some gals wearing ankle length today & they were happy.
#20 of 22 Old 01-03-2010, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE

I want one REALLY badly. [/QUOTE]

Me too. I was hoping I'd get one for Xmas, but I got a new long jacket instead. Can't have both I guess!
#21 of 22 Old 01-04-2010, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Oh my gosh! very cute!

Yeah the women I see wearing skirts are all in jean skirts for the most part. Some have their hair covered like I am used to seeing with religious clothing but some don't which kinda threw me.
If you are in Fairbanks, I'm betting those are Russian or Ukrainian women you are seeing. A LOT of them migrated to Alaska from the Lower 48 about 10 years ago. They were paid to relocate to Delta Junction and other small communities and are now moving out into the lager towns in AK
so yeah, it is a cultural/religious thing mostly.
#22 of 22 Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 AM

That would make sense. My landlord has a Russian son he adopted. I haven't really met many Russians in my life but there are a lot here. I figured they came from Russia. How interesting that they came from the lower 48.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page