Moving to Oahu! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!
I just found out last week that I am being transfered to Tripler AMC on Oahu next September. I am so excited!!!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am sure I will be around asking for advice in a few months, but in the meantime feel free to reply with some of your favorite NP aspects/places?

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
#2 of 8 Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 PM

Aloha!!! Congrats on the orders!! We are at Pearl Harbor and really enjoy it here!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#3 of 8 Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 AM

We lived on Oahu, when my husband was stationed at Pearl. Our favorite beach spot was Waimanalo. Be sure to go there! It is absolutely beautiful! I miss Oahu so much, and all my friends there!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#4 of 8 Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 AM

Whatever you do DON'T get sucked in by the pretty houses in Ewa Beach - the drive in traffic will kill your free time!

That being said -
There are great places to live all over depending if you have school-aged kids, etc.

There is a Montessori Preschool ON Pearl Harbor that is said to be very good. Tripler is one of only two places on island where you can have a hospital midwife birth (the other is Kaiser, this is a very recent development as all the hospital practicing midiwives were hired by Kaiser last month).

Manoa is a beautiful valley with great parks and a nice scene of AP Mamas, same could be said of Kailua. Manoa has a store called Baby Awearness that sells cloth diapers, etc. for the island.

ONE thing people wish they'd bought before they got here is a Learning Tower if you want one for your kids. Impossible to find on island and as much $$$ to ship as it costs on the mainland.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#5 of 8 Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluhia View Post
Whatever you do DON'T get sucked in by the pretty houses in Ewa Beach - the drive in traffic will kill your free time!

That being said -
There are great places to live all over depending if you have school-aged kids, etc.

There is a Montessori Preschool ON Pearl Harbor that is said to be very good. Tripler is one of only two places on island where you can have a hospital midwife birth (the other is Kaiser, this is a very recent development as all the hospital practicing midiwives were hired by Kaiser last month).

Manoa is a beautiful valley with great parks and a nice scene of AP Mamas, same could be said of Kailua. Manoa has a store called Baby Awearness that sells cloth diapers, etc. for the island.

ONE thing people wish they'd bought before they got here is a Learning Tower if you want one for your kids. Impossible to find on island and as much $$$ to ship as it costs on the mainland.
This I know...I will be one of those midwives

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
#6 of 8 Old 01-06-2010, 12:23 AM

Oh awesome!!!

I'm still sad my midwife went to Kaiser. (Linda) I had a great peaceful birth at Castle with her.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#7 of 8 Old 01-06-2010, 04:33 AM

Oh wonderful! Another midwife = great
That being said - I've heard a few things through the grapevine re: Tripler Midwives, feel free to PM me if you would like to know.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#8 of 8 Old 01-16-2010, 01:25 AM

So glad I saw this!!! E-mail me- I am the Hawaii ACNM chapter president. I am one of the 'new' Kaiser midwives (although I practiced here for many years before going over to Kaiser). (Mango Mommy-Linda was my midwife too and working with her is so much fun!). I know a few of the Tripler midwives and they are AWESOME! I used to work with 2 of them and one is my surf buddy. You can email me at info@hawaiipregnancyandbirth.com Can't wait to meet you! We need more midwives!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page