Alaskan Mama chat January- Happy New Year! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 114 Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
it's been a few days where did everybody go? what ya gals up to?
Been dealing with children who have a hard time adjusting to change. I think I'm going to stop taking trips anywhere. It's no fun coming home.

Today I am trying to get stuff together to take to a friend who doesn't have money for food. A bit tricky as her daughter is an extremely sensitive Celiac -- like, can't have milk if the cow had gluten type of sensitive and even that little bit will make her very sick. So, have found a few things to take her that I know are okay, but then have a few things I don't know will work because they take eggs and I don't know if gluten goes into eggs or not. She will know, though, and if her daughter can't eat them, the rest of the family can, so it won't go to waste.
#62 of 114 Old 01-21-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Been dealing with children who have a hard time adjusting to change. I think I'm going to stop taking trips anywhere. It's no fun coming home.

Today I am trying to get stuff together to take to a friend who doesn't have money for food. A bit tricky as her daughter is an extremely sensitive Celiac -- like, can't have milk if the cow had gluten type of sensitive and even that little bit will make her very sick. So, have found a few things to take her that I know are okay, but then have a few things I don't know will work because they take eggs and I don't know if gluten goes into eggs or not. She will know, though, and if her daughter can't eat them, the rest of the family can, so it won't go to waste.
Where is your friend? I have a bunch of stuff I bought when I was doing an elimination diet that I don't see us using anytime soon. I have rice noodles, xanthum gum, rice flour. Could any of that be of use?

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#63 of 114 Old 01-21-2010, 04:28 AM

AHHHHH
Why can't there by good child care for those of us that NEED to work full time outside the home? I have my two very smart little girls in a home with 5-6 or more other children WITH NO SCHEDULE or challenges!!!! If anyone knows of anyone that would be willing to care/teach/explore with my children until April PLEASE PM me. I don't know how much more of this I can take. They are not in any physical danger but I swear I see Roey's brain shrinking every day!!!
Sorry, had to vent.
Have a great day
Sue

Sue, mama to Spitfire (4/06) energy.gif, a Firecracker (9/08) blahblah.gif, and Chill baby (3/12)namaste.gif

signcirc1.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gif

#64 of 114 Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Where is your friend? I have a bunch of stuff I bought when I was doing an elimination diet that I don't see us using anytime soon. I have rice noodles, xanthum gum, rice flour. Could any of that be of use?
Unfortunately we're down here in Nevada.
#65 of 114 Old 01-22-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post
Hello ladies,
Coming back after a very nice break.
I decided to start fresh, with a new account and a more anonymous name.

DH and I are getting ready for a homestudy.
We hope to foster/adopt in the near future.
Our house looks like a tornado went through it, as I go through everything, and finish dejunking every corner and closet, and child proof as needed.
We are thankful that all safety requirments are in place, since they had to be done to the house when we bought it.
We just went through that process ourselves and are now waiting for our first FC. Our house was pretty close to ready but I had a heck of time putting together all the stuff required for the first-aid and disaster kits. Also, I put a few things in clever places (including an x-mas check from my MIL) and now I can't find them.

I'm still not entirely comfortable with knowing that I'll have to move dd1 from a high back booster into a backless booster to get 3 kiddos to fit in our car. DD's almost 8 so we'll be totally legal and at an appropriate age but it's a mom security blanket thing. I don't know how anyone emotionally manages the transition out of a carseat.

Also, I really can't figure out the fire-drill thing. The state tells us to do monthly fire-drills but doesn't give any specifics on exactly how to do them.

Anyone here do family fire-drills?
#66 of 114 Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat View Post

Also, I really can't figure out the fire-drill thing. The state tells us to do monthly fire-drills but doesn't give any specifics on exactly how to do them.

Sure! Every time the fire alarm goes off (from me baking something overly long usually- we have a sensitive alarm).. the boys all line up by the front door and then we talk about if it is a real emergency or not and what we do differently if it was (like go to a neighbors and use the phone).. I also have an emergency exit ladder in the closet on the second floor, but I am afraid that someone could get hurt trying to climb down it so I don't include that in our "drills", but we have talked about its use regularly as well.
#67 of 114 Old 01-22-2010, 04:38 AM

Hey there...I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to introduce x-country skiing to a 4 year-old, what type of gear to get him, etc. I haven't been skiing since before my son was born, so it's been awhile for me as well. We just moved to Fairbanks from Oregon, so any advice on locales would be great as well.
Thanks much! Tanya
#68 of 114 Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haumea11 View Post
Hey there...I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to introduce x-country skiing to a 4 year-old, what type of gear to get him, etc. I haven't been skiing since before my son was born, so it's been awhile for me as well. We just moved to Fairbanks from Oregon, so any advice on locales would be great as well.
Thanks much! Tanya
I know both rural and urban programs that start kids on skis in the 4yo and 5yo range. In both cases, they don't use poles with them at all. They want the kids to focus on balance and the thinking is that if you give them poles, they learn to rely on them too much, so they don't introduce that equipment until they are much older.

So skis is all I've got for you. I am sure there are boots and wax and things like that that you would need though too.
#69 of 114 Old 01-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat View Post

Well, you keep the house layout posted somewhere obvious, so that everyone can see the plan.
Have a family meeting, everytime you get a new fc, and explain how your house is laid out (only useful to those that are a bit older) then do a practice run through of a drill.
Your house layout needs to have a picture of the outside meeting place as well.
Blow a whistle, or something similiar, and then make it fun, by using a stopwatch to see how fast everyone can do it.
All infants and toddlers should have assigned olders who will grab them and take them out.
Take a verbal and physical headcount right away.
Make it fun. Celebrate a job well done, to help keep the process fresh in the childrens minds.

I'm actually prepping to give classes on EP, and have excellent lists on bug out bags and the like.
We are going to have a tub in another building, that has a full change of clothing and shoes, as well as toiletries and the copies of pertinant papers that may be needed in an emergency, for each person.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#70 of 114 Old 01-23-2010, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

We MIGHT be heading out to Wasilla tomorrow.. anyone know a name of a natural baby type brick and mortar store out there? I thought I ran into a name of one on craigslist, but I can't remember it now.. cloth diapers maybe?
#71 of 114 Old 01-23-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I know both rural and urban programs that start kids on skis in the 4yo and 5yo range. In both cases, they don't use poles with them at all. They want the kids to focus on balance and the thinking is that if you give them poles, they learn to rely on them too much, so they don't introduce that equipment until they are much older.

So skis is all I've got for you. I am sure there are boots and wax and things like that that you would need though too.
You have skis for a kiddo? I hear play it again sports is the place to go to get equipment. I haven't bought skis in over 15 years...only waxless too. I don't even know where to get started here. I guess going to a ski shop might be a start. Thanks for the info!
#72 of 114 Old 01-23-2010, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haumea11 View Post
You have skis for a kiddo? I hear play it again sports is the place to go to get equipment. I haven't bought skis in over 15 years...only waxless too. I don't even know where to get started here. I guess going to a ski shop might be a start. Thanks for the info!
I don't own any skis.. my oldest was in a program at school though and they supplied the equipment.. I would definitely try play it again first..
#73 of 114 Old 01-23-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
We MIGHT be heading out to Wasilla tomorrow.. anyone know a name of a natural baby type brick and mortar store out there? I thought I ran into a name of one on craigslist, but I can't remember it now.. cloth diapers maybe?
http://littlebritchesalaska.com/
They have cloth diapers, and are located on the Wasilla side of KGB.
Just up the hill after you cross the tracks and 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle.

#74 of 114 Old 01-23-2010, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post
http://littlebritchesalaska.com/
They have cloth diapers, and are located on the Wasilla side of KGB.
Just up the hill after you cross the tracks and 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle.
Thanks, I think that was the one I was thinking of!
#75 of 114 Old 01-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Someone on here was asking about my eggs awhile back.
PM me if you need more.
We are getting over 2 dozen a day.

#76 of 114 Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM

I've been MIA with sick peoples this week...Bear wasn't feeling good apparently (woke up multiple times a night just bawling...not awake enough to be comforted...I hate those) After three nights of him doing that then DH came down with something for a couple of days--took the days off work and that always throws off everythign at home cuz I'm just not used to having him here

Totally OT, but I just saw this cool video of an elephant giving birth (graphic yadda yadda, very cool though. I guess they deserve a short delivery since they gestate for 2 years, right?!)

Pinoikoi, you're getting close to that midway point...are you a mama who gets the find-out-what-flavor-it-is ultrasound or not? i'm on pins and needles wondering if the pink dust mustered was sufficient

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#77 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Pinoikoi, you're getting close to that midway point...are you a mama who gets the find-out-what-flavor-it-is ultrasound or not? i'm on pins and needles wondering if the pink dust mustered was sufficient
I JUST saw this! We are having an ultrasound on Thursday.. initially we weren't going to find out, but then Dp told me that he is "taking the day off" to go to the ultrasound with me.. so he's totally caving.

I hope the girl dust helped.. my timing wasn't perfect but it was useable, but I did take dp off of bananas, I was taking cranberry tablets, then there was the vinegar every day (which ISN'T very pleasant by the way, and no I wasn't drinking it. ), and the shallow, well, you know what..

If all that didn't work, well, I don't know what to say.

It has crossed my mind that all my miscarriages were female and that perhaps my body somehow rejects female chromosomes.. I dont't think there is any science to back up that theory, but I do think it is a possibility..

either way, i am doing things differently this time.. I am still planning on cosleeping and cloth diapering, and breastfeeding, and homebirthing.. but I am also buying a "nursery".. once I get my tax return. No more changing babies on the floor with a prefold under them for me.. I feel too old and grumpy

Anyone have any good leads on that btw? I think the only places to get nursery sets are babiesrus, baby depot, and junior towne, right? Any recommendations? I am thinking of the dressing table/hutch (with drawers underneath for cds and shelves above for wipes, etc), and maybe a sleigh crib which I think are gorgeous.

I am waiting for my tax return to pay for everything and dp gave me a preliminary budget of $1k. (I haven't told him really that I am planning on selling my globe/liquor cabinet and chaise lounge which will also free up a little cash I think). Doable? (I think he was pulling that number out of thin air somewhere, I HOPE I don't have to spend nearly that much) I am sure there are additional "Alaska" fees... somewhere I haven't thought of? I could order from JCPenny or Sears, but again I am a bit concerned about shipping, so..

I also need to buy a birth pool and a tv wall mount (which will free up room in the family room so I can move my desk in there which is currently in my "office" which will be "nursery" after all this).
#78 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 12:53 AM

so Pino, who is your Doula??

SOunds like you have a good plan. I think that sears used to sell nursery sets. ?? It's been 14 years since I even looked at stuff like that.
#79 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
so Pino, who is your Doula??
I haven't hired one.. I keep thinking I should, but I have a good friend that will drop everything to be here at a moment's notice that wants that "role"... and my last baby came really quickly, so.. I don't know.. mainly at this point I just know that during labor I need people to TALK to me.. I like distractions when in labor

Are you a doula?
#80 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 AM

just make sure you update us on the gender! we wanna know too!

NAK

I saw something cool today on tv... basically you don't find out the gender at the u/s and instead have a friend find out then said friend goes and has a cake made with white frosting which you cut into at the baby shower reveling pink or blue cake to everyone!

i'm totally doing that for my next baby!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#81 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Anyone have any good leads on that btw? I think the only places to get nursery sets are babiesrus, baby depot, and junior towne, right? Any recommendations? I am thinking of the dressing table/hutch (with drawers underneath for cds and shelves above for wipes, etc), and maybe a sleigh crib which I think are gorgeous.
I'd recommend Babydepot. They have some nice affordable nursery sets. Don't wait too long, because often they just have the floor models and will have to order them, and it takes 6-12 weeks for the orders to come in
#82 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 AM

Hello ladies.
I haven't been here in a long time and just wanted to join in. An intro/update in a nutshell: last time I was around, we were planning our wedding in September and TTC #1. Wedding was beautiful and we are expecting #1 early August. So exciting! I look forward to sharing/learning from this community of like-minded women.

What a beautiful week of weather for southcentral, amazing sunsets and we now have 7 hours of daylight and Barrow had their first sunrise/sunset. Yeah!

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#83 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
just make sure you update us on the gender! we wanna know too!

NAK

I saw something cool today on tv... basically you don't find out the gender at the u/s and instead have a friend find out then said friend goes and has a cake made with white frosting which you cut into at the baby shower reveling pink or blue cake to everyone!

i'm totally doing that for my next baby!
Well, I think the Duggars announced the grandbaby that way on tv.. I thought it was cute. Initially I was going to have the tech put it in an envelope and then open it later (special occasion maybe- our anniversary in May? My birthday in April?) but if DP is going, I don't see how I can have any surprise in this... he CANNOT keep anything from me- he is a complete open book, and I know he will be on the lookout.
#84 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
either way, i am doing things differently this time.. I am still planning on cosleeping and cloth diapering, and breastfeeding, and homebirthing.. but I am also buying a "nursery".. once I get my tax return. No more changing babies on the floor with a prefold under them for me.. I feel too old and grumpy

I am waiting for my tax return to pay for everything and dp gave me a preliminary budget of $1k. (I haven't told him really that I am planning on selling my globe/liquor cabinet and chaise lounge which will also free up a little cash I think). Doable? (I think he was pulling that number out of thin air somewhere, I HOPE I don't have to spend nearly that much) I am sure there are additional "Alaska" fees... somewhere I haven't thought of? I could order from JCPenny or Sears, but again I am a bit concerned about shipping, so..

I also need to buy a birth pool and a tv wall mount (which will free up room in the family room so I can move my desk in there which is currently in my "office" which will be "nursery" after all this).
Good for you for getting a changing table. They definitely save your back. I have a wide bathroom counter here and I just keep a towel on it and put him there for changes (or on the couch, shhh, don't tell, ) I have done plenty of floor changes too, but they are kindof a pain (literally). I'd have a changing table if I had the space or money for one. It would be nice to have a place to keep the CDs that was next to where I change the baby

If you're talking about ordering a crib etc anyway, check out amazon--free shipping is a great thing. I like buying in person myself, but if you can't find it in person, amazon is definitely my favorite place.

I got my birth pool/fishy pool on amazon--LOVED it, and free shipping! LOL (I wasn't sure whether I'd want water, and didn't have the budget to buy a fancy pool esp if I wasn't going to use it).

#85 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
If you're talking about ordering a crib etc anyway, check out amazon--free shipping is a great thing. I like buying in person myself, but if you can't find it in person, amazon is definitely my favorite place.

I got my birth pool/fishy pool on amazon--LOVED it, and free shipping! LOL (I wasn't sure whether I'd want water, and didn't have the budget to buy a fancy pool esp if I wasn't going to use it).
I haven't been able to get free shipping on amazon.. it always tries to add it on later for me.
#86 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I haven't been able to get free shipping on amazon.. it always tries to add it on later for me.
really? that's weird. We have used it a lot since moving to AK since everyone else has surcharges...not all items qualify of course, but we've gotten a lot.

nak

#87 of 114 Old 01-26-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isras1 View Post
Hello ladies.
I haven't been here in a long time and just wanted to join in. An intro/update in a nutshell: last time I was around, we were planning our wedding in September and TTC #1. Wedding was beautiful and we are expecting #1 early August. So exciting! I look forward to sharing/learning from this community of like-minded women.
Congrats!
#88 of 114 Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 AM

Gah, I can't figure out the multiquote thing.

Congrats on the little one, isras1!

And pinoikoi, enjoy the peek! I didn't want to know w/ my 8yo, but when we did a later pregnancy scan (for some odd reason....don't remember why), well, THERE IT ALL WAS. In the first 2 or 3 seconds I knew we were having a boy.

We're okay here. Trying to keep my migraines under control and not much is helping. Teenagers and homeschool and martial arts and swimming and youth court volunteering and library volunteering and one with a driver's permit...and and and and and....whooft.

It seems like a zillion years ago when things were as simple as giving them clean diapers and nursing...now it's all so complicated!!

Hope everyone is overwintering well. I'm thinking hard about my garden this coming year...I want it to be super-productive and yet super-cheap. We'll see what we come up with (I already know not to try tomatoes, they hate me).

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#89 of 114 Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 PM

I just found a company (open pollenated seeds, lots of non-hybridized seeds, etc) that has 'ultra early' tomato plants (they ship the plant, not the seed) and it's supposed to be ready to harvest in 55-65 days. I'm going to try at least a couple this year...of course I'm way down in Homer and if I recall Spruce you're up in Fbx, aren't you?
I'm SO happy though our landlords have given permission for us to put in a garden in the backyard. We need to clarifiy with them the size of garden we want to put in (they may not fully grasp the size of our ambitions, ) But I'm thrilled. We haven't had a garden the last two summers, and the summer before that we only got half our harvest because we moved in early August. *sigh* I can't wait to be stocking my kitchen with my own food again. It's so fulfilling.

#90 of 114 Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 AM

Yep, I'm just outside Fbx. I simply don't have the talent for tomatoes, and never have figured out why. I'm supposed to get my greenhouse up by early summer, so we'll see if that helps if I decide to try. I was hoping to have it up in the fall, but wood hauling and camping turned out to be more important.

We're going to double the depths of our beds this year, and since we're going to be re-doing the septic, I'll have a bunch of new open land to work with. It won't be plantable this year, but by next year I should have definitely increased the size of the garden space. I'm really touchy about felling ANY trees on our property, I love the "natural" look...but the septic must get taken care of, and that means bringing it up to code w/ a new leach field and all that.

Such exciting things we get to talk about as we grow older!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page