Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New month, new year!
#2 of 114 Old 01-01-2010, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
happy New Year, everyone!

Did anyone see the article about the yurt down in Kenai in the New York Times? They made it sound like living w/o a toilet was superhuman. But the pics were beautiful! Slideshow here

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#3 of 114 Old 01-01-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

That is a cool slideshow! I actually have seen stuff about their yurt when it was "in progress" and it kind of made me laugh because I think there are actually quite a few yurts in AK.. there was one in Bering Strait and then when the couple had a baby, they had a second one built and attached them.. there is one behind a house on Lake Otis in Anchorage... I am sure there are some in Fairbanks.. I just don't see why THIS one gets all the attention?

Cute outhouse! I think the clutter of a yurt would drive me insane.
#4 of 114 Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Happy New Year!
#5 of 114 Old 01-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
New month, new year!
Good grief you're always so quick on the draw making these new threads...

I didn't *intend* to stay up for midnight last night, but DH and I kinda, uh, did and then I had a stuffy-nosed baby and a feverish almost-three-year-old who took turns waking me up the rest of the night. I think I will celebrate the new year by taking a nap.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#6 of 114 Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Happy New YEar!
#7 of 114 Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 PM

I haven't been on here for a while but I would like to wish everybody a happy new year!

Lovin my Hubby , Serena (10/07)::, and Cedar( 07/09)
#8 of 114 Old 01-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I just don't see why THIS one gets all the attention?

Cute outhouse! I think the clutter of a yurt would drive me insane.
Oh you know...they probably knew someone who freelanced. Now they can get their picture posted at the general store...lucky them. I agree, that outhouse was cute. Now I want to repaint mine!

Looking forward to coming home...it's getting all slushy, wet and humid (always, the humidity!) down here(VT). Bleh. Not to mention all the tourists/ski bums are starting to get on my nerves... I'll be happy to be back in Fairbanks where it's too cold for that sort of silliness! (ok except for the Japanese, but tourists in AK seem to be a friendlier sort than your typical flatlander /end rant--because otherwise I could go on forever in this vein!)

Hope you're all doing well!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#9 of 114 Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 PM

the mama in the yurt article is a mdc member, i believe. they sound like they live a fun life! there are many yurts in alaska, but some people's lives probably make for more interesting stories than others...

Katie
#10 of 114 Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 PM

We were not in a yurt in Pelican, but those pictures of hiking in the woods look pretty familiar, LOL!!

#11 of 114 Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 PM

It reminds be of our cabin in Delta where the water froze on the floor.

Small and cozy. I'm not sure our large family of 7 would fit in one anymore though.
#12 of 114 Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 PM

My girlfriend has a yert. Her handler lives in it.
#13 of 114 Old 01-02-2010, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Happy New Yer!

Hi. I'm the one from the article. And of course, there are many yurts in Alaska - Nomad Shelter in Homer made ours, and they're all over Homer. Certainly, she could have interviewed probably almost anyone from Seldovia (and half the folks in the state) and come out with something equally bizarre from a New York City perspective. I guess it shows you what the rest of the country thinks of us crazy Alaskans!
#14 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post

Hi. I'm the one from the article. And of course, there are many yurts in Alaska - Nomad Shelter in Homer made ours, and they're all over Homer. Certainly, she could have interviewed probably almost anyone from Seldovia (and half the folks in the state) and come out with something equally bizarre from a New York City perspective. I guess it shows you what the rest of the country thinks of us crazy Alaskans!
Haha. We're not the crazy ones...They are. Who wants to live in a stinky city with too many people? Not me...

We need an icon for yurt-love.

I'd love to live in a yurt, but convincing dp of that would fly about as well as the time I tried to convince him to build me an octagonal house.

#15 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Good grief you're always so quick on the draw making these new threads...
There were a few times that we didn't get a "new month" thread for a week or so into the new month, so I try to make a new one the first day if I can to avoid that...

I think I suffer from OCD a bit, also..
#16 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Happy New Yer!

I loved the pictures! thanks for sharing.

Yurt-Love
#17 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 05:00 AM

I recently came across this Salmon Poisoning while researching.
Is this a problem in Alaska? I have been under the impression it was common practice to feed salmon (even raw) to dogs here in AK, especially among the Mushers.

Here is a quick overview of salmon poisoning

Quote:
Quote:
ishing can be wonderful recreation, but sharing the catch with your dog can be an act of kindness that kills.
Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It’s this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.

“Salmon poisoning occurs most commonly west of the Cascade mountain range,” says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, “Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That’s why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly with out consequence.”
#18 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I recently came across this Salmon Poisoning while researching.
Is this a problem in Alaska? I have been under the impression it was common practice to feed salmon (even raw) to dogs here in AK, especially among the Mushers.
Most mushers I know feed their dogs smoked/dried fish that has been frozen. I would think after smoking it the risk would be fairly small.

I haven't lived near anyone that mushes though for about 10 years, so things may have changed but I doubt it.
#19 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 03:32 PM

Hmmm interesting about the salmon. No idea.

YEA yurts! Amazing how warm they can be in the winter. The limited light would bother me but then again, the more windows, the less heat, etc.

Anyone in Anch been skating at Westchester? It's a lot of fun w/the burn barrels set up on these cold days. The ice isn't perfect but I'm so impressed at how many families are out having fun.
#20 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 04:16 PM

We feed raw frozen salmon to our chickens, goats and dogs with no trouble.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#21 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
We feed raw frozen salmon to our chickens, goats and dogs with no trouble.
Yeah, I'm guessing that frozen or previously frozen is okay since the freeze does kill the parasites.
#22 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 PM

I thought I remembered reading from one of you ladies some way to TTC a girl. I have a friend who has 3 boys and is about to TTC#4 and would love any advice on how to get a little more estrogen in the house

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks!

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#23 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
YEA yurts! Amazing how warm they can be in the winter. The limited light would bother me but then again, the more windows, the less heat, etc.
Actually, with a skylight and 4 relatively large windows, the yurt is better lit than almost any standard house I've been in. Something about the shape helps too - even after dark I can light the place well with just a couple bulbs. It isn't as well-insulated as a house - probably the only major drawback. But cozy warm with the fire going.
#24 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 PM

I have 10 Kushies diapers for sale. They are brand new and prepped. We have only used 2 of the diapers once. They are gender neutral and are estimated to fit 10-22 lbs. PM me if you are interested. I really do not like them but I know that there are a few people out there that like this brand. I have no set price so any offer is better then none! I can also send pics!
With that out of the way I am happy to announce that we are moving to Petersburg! Are there any PSG Mama's out there? I thought we were headed back to Anchorage but plans have changed and we are spending the next 3 years there! Hopefully we can find a rental by the end of the month!

Lovin my Hubby , Serena (10/07)::, and Cedar( 07/09)
#25 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

OMG!

I just found out there is a diaper service in Anchorage now. Where have I been?

http://www.happybottomsdiaperservice.com/index.html
#26 of 114 Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
I thought I remembered reading from one of you ladies some way to TTC a girl. I have a friend who has 3 boys and is about to TTC#4 and would love any advice on how to get a little more estrogen in the house

Thoughts? Input?

Thanks!
All I can tell you is that the tricks only SWAY the odds.. and only slightly.. but essentially the factors that one can alter are acidity and timing..

First, one must have some charts done. Ovulation has to be tracked. I use fertilityfriend.com to help me keep my data, (I think my username still links to my last chart), but Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a really good book to get started on charting, and How to Choose the Sex of your Baby talks about timing through charts.. essentially sperm can live about 5 or 6 days in the human body so for a girl the book (the second one) suggests timing sex to occur about 4 days prior to ovulation as the theory is that male sperm swim faster but die off easier, but female sperm are slower and hardier.. so 4 days ahead would give the males time to die off essentially.

The other factor is acidity. Women who take additional calcium (no idea what kind) and cranberry tablets statistically have more girls. There is another supplement.. I can't remember the name Ms. Something or other's tincture or something? that also seems to push for girls- it probably has a lot of Vit C in it, but i couldn't find anyone in Alaska that sells it anymore.. ETA: Lydia Pinkham- you can get it on ebay...

I took my dp off of bananas and coffee as well. He ate a lot of pineapples (again, pushing the acidity).. I TRIED to time it well, but wouldn't ya know it I O'd early the month I got pregnant? Well, I was taking the cranberry tablets as well, though, so there's still hope
#27 of 114 Old 01-04-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Happy New Yer!

Hi. I'm the one from the article. And of course, there are many yurts in Alaska -
Ooooooooo i thought i reconized you from somewhere... mind if i hit you up via PM? me and DH were thinking maybe a yurt but we were unsure of the insulating factor.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#28 of 114 Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM

Hi, I'm sorry I only have a minute and haven't read this thread yet, but I was wondering if I could get any help or advice on something. My husband, dd and I live in Va (I'm from Seattle). We really want to move to Fairbanks, because it is our dream, and there is a cabin for sale in rural Fairbanks that we really love the look of.

But I'm looking up everything I can, trying to figure out how we'd make this move. Not necessarily to that cabin of course, but to Fairbanks in general. The apartment reviews in Fairbanks are terrible, and I'm just not at all sure how we would go about getting this done. Any ideas at all? We can't just go willy nilly style or anything. Yurts are an option too.. just had to throw that out there, in case anyone has an opinion on them.

Thank you so, so much for any ideas or anything at all you guys might have to offer me.

I'm really hoping I'll be able to join you guys sometime soon!

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#29 of 114 Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetop View Post
With that out of the way I am happy to announce that we are moving to Petersburg! Are there any PSG Mama's out there? I thought we were headed back to Anchorage but plans have changed and we are spending the next 3 years there! Hopefully we can find a rental by the end of the month!
We thought about Petersburg when we were preparing to leave Pelican, but after two years in a tiny SE town we decided we needed something on the road...I want to visit Petersburg at some point though, ideally for the "15 Mai" Norwegian celebration (unfortunately that clashes with DH being a school teacher ) Dh lived in Norway for a couple of years and it's in my ancestry. I have no idea when I'll be able to actually travel to Norway though, so I want to get to PSG...it feels reachable.

Quote:
Hi. I'm the one from the article. And of course, there are many yurts in Alaska - Nomad Shelter in Homer made ours, and they're all over Homer.
Yep, I'm in Homer. There's a whole little 'village' of yurts on the edge of town, I think it's a store/visitor's center type of place (or series of them would be more accurate I guess!)

Quote:
I guess it shows you what the rest of the country thinks of us crazy Alaskans!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
Haha. We're not the crazy ones...They are. Who wants to live in a stinky city with too many people? Not me...

We need an icon for yurt-love.

I'd love to live in a yurt, but convincing dp of that would fly about as well as the time I tried to convince him to build me an octagonal house.
I'm not quite up for a yurt--I like having my own bedroom where I can close the door and I REALLY like having indoor plumbing Our dream is more like a hobbit hole...partially (even mostly) underground, grass and flowers growing on the roof... Hubby hasn't talked me into the round door though

Here's a funny that happened just moments ago as I was typing: DS is almost 3 (in a couple weeks). He's got the potty thing down, and can get his pants down, but can't get them back up himself...so he'll go do his business but then come waddling out to wherever I am--with his pants around his ankles--asking for my help. Just now he waddled up to me and said "mom, can you remember how to pull my pants up?!"

#30 of 114 Old 01-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danidama View Post
Hi, I'm sorry I only have a minute and haven't read this thread yet, but I was wondering if I could get any help or advice on something. My husband, dd and I live in Va (I'm from Seattle). We really want to move to Fairbanks, because it is our dream, and there is a cabin for sale in rural Fairbanks that we really love the look of.

But I'm looking up everything I can, trying to figure out how we'd make this move. Not necessarily to that cabin of course, but to Fairbanks in general. The apartment reviews in Fairbanks are terrible, and I'm just not at all sure how we would go about getting this done. Any ideas at all? We can't just go willy nilly style or anything. Yurts are an option too.. just had to throw that out there, in case anyone has an opinion on them.

Thank you so, so much for any ideas or anything at all you guys might have to offer me.

I'm really hoping I'll be able to join you guys sometime soon!
fairbanks is pretty awesome! The thing I would worry about being so far from home would be WORK. Apartments and cabins are a dime a dozen in Fairbanks. You can get just about anything in any price range but jobs are not so easy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page