Keeping little one warm in AK - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
....specifically I have learned that if I don't bring his car seat in it is too cold to put him back in it. However, my hip and back are killing me from carrying it around everywhere! I wish I could just put him in a sling. Any suggestions?

Stationed in Fairbanks. Wife to my amazing DH! Mommy to first born son Cody (12/4/09) and furr baby Shadow (04/30/07)!
#2 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM

Maybe you could put him in something snuggly to set it and him into the seat with, and buckle him up around it... that's all I've got. And I don't live in Fairbanks (yet!), but I hope you can figure out something better. And hey, maybe you'll keep doing the carseat back and forth thing, and your back and hips will just get stronger and stronger, and then it won't be a problem anymore.

ETA: Just saw how young your baby is - Just keep on carrying him around everywhere with everything you do in a carrier of whatever sort (Ergo, Storch and Didymos were my favorites of the 10 or so we tried), and your back and hips will most definitely get stronger with time. My back is still just ridiculously toned from carrying my dd around since she was born. She's too big for carriers (though she still hops in the Ergo now and then), but I carry her in my arms often, so now my back and arms are pretty crazy awesome. Anyway, just wanted you to know you will get in wonderful shape as time goes by, so just try to feel strong and enjoy carrying the carseat back and forth for now... as he gets older and bigger, you'll be getting stronger to be able to carry a bigger babe and the seat! That's just how I think it'll be anyway. Good luck!

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#3 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 PM

I would not recommend the snuggly that it buckled around him. Anything between the straps could cause the seat to not work properly were you to be in an accident.

The recommendation to build up the muscles in your back is a good one, though. I didn't carry the carseat in unless we were going to be out of the truck for more than 2 hours or the temps were crazy low (like, below zero). I would keep it in the house overnight all the time because it was just easier to get the baby in and get us out of the house if she was already in it.
#4 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
I would not recommend the snuggly that it buckled around him. Anything between the straps could cause the seat to not work properly were you to be in an accident.
Ooo darsh. Sorry about my bad advice- I don't even drive, so I don't know what I'm talking about. Disregard what I said! *smacks head* *doh* But we have never really done what we're supposed to do when we all are driving in our truck. We've got country-brain. But I definitely don't want to give bad advice to someone else about how they do their driving trips!

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#5 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 01:03 PM

we just warmed up the car first we lived in anchorage.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#6 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 03:02 PM

I had 4 small children while living in the interior. After a few years and a few kids we just learned that Sling and warps were the ONLY way to go. Screw those bulky and annoying carseats and strollers!
Tuck that baby in under your coat!

My youngest was born in Fairbanks Nov 29th, She was very warm during her first winter.
#7 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

I want to carry him in under my coat but then we we get back to the car his seat is freezing! We went to a movie together and I had him in his sling. He did awesome in the movie snuggled against me but then when we got back to the car his seat was so cold I felt horrible putting him in even though he was in pants, socks, and jacket. Unfortunately it is below 0 all the time here now and we don't have an auto start so I would have to get in the car holding him, warm it up, get out, strap him in and then go but a lot of the time we don't have time for that. I really can't think of anything to keep his seat warm except for bringing it inside with us. I was hoping there was some Alaskan secret to it. I have a snuggly thing that goes over the top of it. Maybe I could take him out, put a blanket in there and zip it back up? I would think if we were back before an hour was up the warm blanket could keep the air trapped in there? Idk.

I am going to work on building up my back muscles but I have chronic back pain from large breasts so I don't know that it will help. My reduction only helped slightly. The little guy is already up to 10lbs plus seat...and carrying it on my hip puts my alignment off of course. We have 3 different kinds of slings even and haven't really used any of them yet... not after that movie incident when his seat was so cold.

Another thing that is becoming a bother is that if I snuggle him up in some extra warm pants or a jacket over his onesie his seat belts straps are so hard to snap in over the extra fabric. My car seat doesn't have the quick tightening straps so I have to just pull down real hard so that I don't have to reposition them on warmer days when he only needs his long sleeve and thinner pants on. I worry that with the bulky clothes the straps might be too tight on him. What do you think?

Stationed in Fairbanks. Wife to my amazing DH! Mommy to first born son Cody (12/4/09) and furr baby Shadow (04/30/07)!
#8 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 05:23 PM

If you can invest in Auto Start.
If that is not an option, have someone start the car for 10min. before you head out.
If that is not an option, maybe you can use a hot water bottle in the seat? or get a power converter and use a heating pad.

I understand your concern. It is a cold seat.
#9 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 PM

I also have a tiny one (born 11/23). For really cold days (which are as cold as your in FBX), I put near boiling water in 2 old nalgene bottle. I keep them in insulators while driving around. When I get to where I'm going - take the bottles out of the insulators, toss in the carseat (take baby out of seat fist ) and cover with a fleece blanket. If it is less than 3-4 hours even in subzeroes, should still be decently warm. even better, use a bucky pillow or anything similar on top of the hot bottles to keep heat trapped it. I've used a ziploc bag filled with rice before. This will keep the seat warm for many hours (warm meaning 30+ degrees). If it is too hot, it will cool down in about 3 minutes with the bottles and blanket removed.

I do this in my Chariot stroller as well for longer hikes - keep a warm bottle at kiddos feet close the cover and it is considerably warmer in there than outside.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#10 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

I think we are going to save up for the auto start. We just spent $300 to winterize our car and I think the auto start is about the same amount so maybe next month. I am having a pain about 3 inches above my belly button and to the left that I was concerned might have to do with the muscle that can separate during pregnancy but I got to thinking about it and I bet its from hoisting his car seat up on my hip so much over this last week. DH had to go back to work Monday so its been a rough week for all 3 of us.

#11 of 25 Old 01-17-2010, 12:26 AM

if I ever had to do it again I'd buy one of those umbrella strollers that you put the baby bucket in.

http://www.amazon.com/Maclaren-Trave.../dp/B000ELIY26

I'm all for baby wearing but I hate the getting a comfy baby in and out of the car to transfer into a carrier.
#12 of 25 Old 01-17-2010, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

That's about the size of the stroller my car seat came with but most Army buildings are not stroller friendly... at least not the dfac (cafeteria for soldiers) or my hubby's work. The family areas and hospital are of course. Its been -30s lately so I am lugging the thing around and keeping a close eye on my posture. My side still hurts but not enough to make a Dr's appointment.

#13 of 25 Old 01-18-2010, 03:27 AM

They made heating pads you can plug into your cigarette lighter in your car.

An autostart is so handy (says the mama of 3 with no auto start )

CPST & mom

#14 of 25 Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 PM

I put the carseat in the house...warm up the truck for 15-20 minutes...Usually it's nice and toasty in there by that time. I also use one of those fleece cover things, but I can't zip it up, he hates it. And his coat is too bulky for my Moby. Can't wait til it gets above 0, I'll wear him in it then (yay for body heat!). Just make sure you warm the car up enough, maybe you could get one of those cover things and put it in the diaper bag so it will at least be warm? Then carry him in a sling.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#15 of 25 Old 01-18-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
They made heating pads you can plug into your cigarette lighter in your car.

Now THAT Is cool!
An autostart is so handy (says the mama of 3 with no auto start )

I have AutoStart! Their names are Skylar and Andrew.
#16 of 25 Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well leaving in the morning is easy. We have a heated garage. Its being out and about that is the problem. Like going in to eat or grocery shop. Although at Wal-mart and Sam's I put his carrier in the buggy. He is getting sooo big! He won't fit in his carseat much longer. He is 10lbs but LONG! His feet stick out the edge of his carseat almost and he's only 6 weeks old.

#17 of 25 Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 AM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
I also have a tiny one (born 11/23). For really cold days (which are as cold as your in FBX), I put near boiling water in 2 old nalgene bottle. I keep them in insulators while driving around. When I get to where I'm going - take the bottles out of the insulators, toss in the carseat (take baby out of seat fist ) and cover with a fleece blanket. If it is less than 3-4 hours even in subzeroes, should still be decently warm. even better, use a bucky pillow or anything similar on top of the hot bottles to keep heat trapped it. I've used a ziploc bag filled with rice before. This will keep the seat warm for many hours (warm meaning 30+ degrees). If it is too hot, it will cool down in about 3 minutes with the bottles and blanket removed.

I do this in my Chariot stroller as well for longer hikes - keep a warm bottle at kiddos feet close the cover and it is considerably warmer in there than outside.
What a brilliant idea! I've done the Nalgene trick to stay warm while winter camping; it never occurred to me to use them as portable heaters in that way.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#18 of 25 Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryen View Post
Well leaving in the morning is easy. We have a heated garage. Its being out and about that is the problem. Like going in to eat or grocery shop. Although at Wal-mart and Sam's I put his carrier in the buggy. He is getting sooo big! He won't fit in his carseat much longer. He is 10lbs but LONG! His feet stick out the edge of his carseat almost and he's only 6 weeks old.
Go get a sling! You could probably find one that would fit under your coat...

Blueberry Baby is located in the Chena Pump Plaza off Geist Rd. It's by the Magic Carpet.
Blueberry Baby

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#19 of 25 Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 PM

i sling the babies! i bundle them up in coats long johns etc and pop them in the seat and cover them with a blanket. yeah the car seat is cold but under the coats and pants? not so much. and it warms up quickly once little baby is in it.

i wouldn't be able to function without my slings. pop him in and wrap your coat around him and stop carrying the extra 20 pound carseat!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#20 of 25 Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah its not an issue of being cold in the sling... its the freezing carseat is my concern. The warm bottles and buckwheat pillow is a good idea. This winter has been really mild apparently. Thankfully next year he'll be big enough to wear a bunting or coat. I haven't found any heavy clothes for a newborn. They shouldn't be out in weather that needs it but up here its just an everyday thing.

#21 of 25 Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryen View Post
I haven't found any heavy clothes for a newborn. They shouldn't be out in weather that needs it but up here its just an everyday thing.
me either i just layer two of those light baby coats and put wool pants under the onesie. then top it off with a hat and blanket.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#22 of 25 Old 01-22-2010, 01:50 AM

I think I would wrap the EMPTY carseat in some blankets when not in use..
#23 of 25 Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I think I would wrap the EMPTY carseat in some blankets when not in use..
Well, it doesn't need to be empty...

This morning DS asked for all three of the blankets on keep in the car to be stacked on his lap. I could only see his eyes but he laughed for 5 minutes. (I keep one for each passenger but DD. DD has a "car seat condom" - our name for one of those fleece covers with the peep hole and zipper. What are those things called by normal people?)

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#24 of 25 Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

You know... I don't know. We call ours a "Snuggie or whatever its called".

#25 of 25 Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 AM

I dont know what they are called either but I Love the Term CONDOM!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page