New to Fairbanks--need preschool/homeschooling group info - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-16-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings, Fairbanks mamas...

I need some ideas regarding preschool.

My 4.5 yo son and I just moved to Fairbanks and I am having difficulties finding a preschool. We're now on 3 waiting lists (including the Montessori and Open Arms). We need full-day preschool. Half-day might work if I could then find a nanny or some other arrangement.

I'll be working every other week, as I'll be job sharing. Since I don't really need full day preschool every week, I have been wondering about whether there are homeschoolers/groups who might be willing to take on another kid part-time.

I'm looking for more than babysitting. My son is curious and needs intellectual, artistic and social stimulation.

Anyone have any ideas? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks! Tanya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-17-2010, 04:24 AM

I found FNA preschool really good, surprisingly good actually. FNA stands for Fairbanks Native Association but you don't have to be Alaska Native to get into their preschool. It is also one that Childcare Assistance will help with.
#3 of 5 Old 01-17-2010, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I will check it out. What did you like about their program?
#4 of 5 Old 01-17-2010, 05:13 PM

Well let's see. They were very organized, had low turnover of employees so you got to really know the teachers and could see that they loved working there (and was paid a livable wage). It wasn't full of a bunch of kids who were just doing "babysitting" because they were too unambitious to do anything else. They had organized play, as well as free playtime. They had story time, breakfast time, snack time, lunch time, recess. They had a regular cook who cooked breakfast and lunch right there and you could walk into the kitchen and talk to the cook and see that it was clean. The business part of payment was taken care of at a business office and not by the caretakers themselves. They had continuing education. They had a monthly dinner where parents were invited so you could meet each other. They worked on letters, and sharing, and other things. Basically it was a good transition from home or babysitter to school. My daughter loved it.
#5 of 5 Old 01-17-2010, 10:40 PM

my son started going to Bright Beginnings this year and it has been AMAZING! They have all sorts of different programs and time frames you can get set up in and the we have been really happy with the teachers there. My son has really taken off academically as well and I just can't say enough good things about them.

ABC preschool is I believe one of the least expensive options in town and I have heard some good things, but didn't check into it myself.

Good luck with your search!

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page