Kauai Mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies,

I am a first-time mom and my family is thinking about moving to Kauai. Every thread on here (the few that there are for Kauai mamas) is closed. Why is that? =(

A little background:
I am 23 and my baby girl is 4 1/2 months old. I would consider myself a consciencious, pro-active, and progressive young mama. I want to make sure I can make friends with other mothers of a similar philosophy where we move.

My questions are:

1. Are home births available on Kauai?
2. What is the organic food scene like? Are there good organic farmers markets around? I like to buy local and organic.
3. Do any of you like to knit or want to learn?
4. What is the schooling situation like in Kauai?
5. Are there any doctors on the garden isle who are open-minded about vaccine schedules?
6. What is the feel of the island for locals?

I look forward to hearing from you chicas.

Thanks a bunch,

Liss

"E" reggo :yoga wash.gif :clothes and if I have time knit.gif peas in a pod with overworked DP "E" Cosleeping, Extended breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering(a bit obsessed), babywearing, SAHM to DD wl 9/09 and expecting homebirth in 4/12 joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

We are also considering the big island as well probably Hilo area. How is life different on Kauai compared to life on the Big Island.

"E" reggo :yoga wash.gif :clothes and if I have time knit.gif peas in a pod with overworked DP "E" Cosleeping, Extended breastfeeding, Cloth Diapering(a bit obsessed), babywearing, SAHM to DD wl 9/09 and expecting homebirth in 4/12 joy.gif
Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 AM

Old threads are locked, just part of how the BIG BIG board works.

I know of one Mama who has had a homebirth on Kauai, I think there must be at least one practicing midwife there....I'll link her here and see if she'd like to chime in.

AmberSkyeFire is from the Hilo side and had a UC but had nice midwives there.

I will warn you that public schooling in Hawaii is having a horrid time, cut down to 4 days a week by the govt. to save $, and not well funded before that. Homeschooling however is not legally difficult to do here.

The thing about moving is right away, your not going to be a local. Have you looked into Hawaiian history, the Sovergnty movement, etc.? Understanding Hawaiian history from a non ethnocentric perspective can make a huge difference in how you are accepted and how you understand it here.

Who owns the crown lands of Hawaii? is a great book to start with...

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, Thank you so much for your help. I will definitely check out the book you recommended. I am sorry for such a delayed response, my daughter spilled hot chocolate on my computer a couple months ago and so I have been unable to use the computer until now =( And I would love to hear from your friend. If she is uncomfortable replying on this thread please let her know to feel free to pm me. Thank you again. Mahalo =)

User Tag List