Homebirth and VBAC resources in Oahu, HI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas!

We have just found out that we will be moving to HI in less than 2 months! I am SO excited to be going back!! We are a military family... I will be about 28-30w preggo by the time I get out there. I also will be a VBAC2C

Could anyone give me some homebirth references and experiences for homebirth in Oahu? We will be living in Honolulu. I looked online but so far the references I found are for midwifes working under a OB's care. I am afraid of this because most OB's I know will not touch me because of my VBAC status.

Oh and while I'm at it...chiropractors...does anyone have a good one?

Thanks so much in advance! Amie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 AM

Only OB who will do VBAC on Oahu is Dr. Eesha at Queens. He takes Tricare but is not taking new patients - if you explain he is your ONLY VBAC option he may let you in. He no longer has midwives in his practice as all hospital midwives are now at Kaiser (no military access even on Standard) or at Tripler AMC. The midwife program at Tripler is great (if you are not overweight, they seem to not take Mamas with anything but tiny BMIs), but takes no VBACs.

Dr. Lori Kimata is a Naturopathic Physician and Midwife who did a homebirth VBA2C waterbirth with a woman I know.

THIS is a site with a lot of current information by the local Midwife Chapter President.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#3 of 32 Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 AM

There are many many many MANY OB's who do VBACs on the island. I can think of at least 20 docs who will do a VBAC after 2 c/s. I'm not saying they will be HAPPY about it (Eesha wouldn't be either) but be nice to you and agree to attend, yes. Aside from Lori, check out Madeleine Portuondo if you are planning a homebirth. She is also at Sacred Healing aRts (like Lori) and is great! Tripler CNMs do not accept VBAC patients (at least that was the last I heard from the midwives there).
#4 of 32 Old 02-13-2010, 08:50 AM

p.s. hey Maluhia dinner was fun tonight The kids played so well!
#5 of 32 Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info ladies!!

I am definately going to call Lori..she sounds wonderful and hopefully find a back up OB that will VBAC as well.
#6 of 32 Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtofourinhawaii View Post
There are many many many MANY OB's who do VBACs on the island. I can think of at least 20 docs who will do a VBAC after 2 c/s. I'm not saying they will be HAPPY about it (Eesha wouldn't be either) but be nice to you and agree to attend, yes. Aside from Lori, check out Madeleine Portuondo if you are planning a homebirth. She is also at Sacred Healing aRts (like Lori) and is great! Tripler CNMs do not accept VBAC patients (at least that was the last I heard from the midwives there).

Can you PM me some of those OB's names that you know of? Thanks so much! Its always nice to have a OB who will stick up for me if I needed to go to the hospital.
#7 of 32 Old 02-14-2010, 09:25 PM

agreed dinner was fun
I need to know a few other names of OBs to give out!
Speaking of which...I think homebirth is the best option as even the "good" OBs are not going to be "happy" aobout it. They can say all the nice things you want but in the hospital your going to be a patient with high risk and it's not going to be the hands-off you can get with a homebirth

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#8 of 32 Old 02-15-2010, 05:04 AM

MW @Trippler will not see VBAC ladies. I am VBACing at Trippler with my OB in May. Hes been pretty awesome about it. I dont know their standards for VBAC2C but I do know they are VBAC friendly--just incase you wanted to know!!
#9 of 32 Old 02-16-2010, 03:44 AM

Congrats on the Hawaii orders, I know we love it here! I can't help you on homebirth options, unfortunately. I had DD at Castle with Linda but she's one of the midwives who went to Kaiser. I hear the midwife program at Tripler is very good, though picky about who they take, but I also have heard (LOL don't you love that) that your chances for a VBAC at Tripler are good too.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#10 of 32 Old 02-18-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your information!

We are very excited to be moving to HI again...sometime in April! It can't come soon enough as I'm tired of looking at snow!

I actually called Dr. Lori's office and was just blown away by how nice her nurse/assistant was (can't remember her name..preggo brain) She does VBAC2C and sounded SO excited for me to be attempting a VBAC2C and at home and she doesn't even know me! Good sign... Anyway Dr. Kimata is off island right now but I was promised a phone call on her return. I am very excited! My homebirth mw here was just telling me that HI is one of the more vbac friendly places to birth.

As for Tripler I am jumping down to standard so I can avoid going there in the event of a hospital transfer. I had my son there and it was horrible and traumatic and I am terrified of hospitals and have a huge distrust of doctors because of my birth and how I was treated there. The midwifes at Tripler are the ones who missed my pre-e/pih diagnosis.. BUT that being said I've heard others have had wonderful experiences there...just like with any hospital..it has the good and bad. I'm just not going there if I don't have to.

As for hospitals, I have to find which ones are more laid back in regards to natural birth and vbac...
#11 of 32 Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 AM

Castle in Kailua is more natural friendly but won't do VBAC.
I would never go to Kap after experiences with how they treated my SIL.
Queens I think is the place to be IF you need to be in a hospital at all.

#12 of 32 Old 02-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Unfortunately, none of the OBs will 'back' Lori or you for VBAC. I thought you meant an OB who would deliver you as VBAC. Tons of them will do that. *maybe* Eesha would agree to be your OB knowing you were attempting VBACa2 but be prepared for him to review all the risks at your visits with him at length. Honestly, at least at Tripler, they have to see you prenatally, right? Even though you don't want to deliver there it might be one of your only options as back up in your situation. I think Kapiolani can be fine but the residents can be a mixed bag and you know, it just depends who you get when you come in. I'd agree Queens is probably a better choice. The fact is, if planning a homebirth, you likely won't end up at any of them unless it is an emergency in which case, go wherever Lori thinks you should go. She can also tell you which OBs might be a better person to approach in your situation as she has hands on experience with who is rude in that situation and who is helpful.
#13 of 32 Old 02-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Even though I didn't end up birthing with Dr. Lori/Dr. Madeleine due to complications that came up in my pregnancy, I LOVED them both, and would highly, highly recommend them.
#14 of 32 Old 02-27-2010, 11:07 PM

I wanted to point out that you don't need to go to Standard to deliver anywhere. You can stay on Prime, have your prenatal stuff done at Tripler. If a complication should arise and you need to be transferred to a hospital, Tricare will pay because it's an emergency and they will not make you be transferred to a military hospital in labor. You just call Tricare after the fact. I went Standard because I wanted to see a midwife out in town because Tripler midwifery wouldn't take me (risk reasons.)

#15 of 32 Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 PM

I had my son at Tripler under the midwife program. They were great in most aspects, but this time I am looking forward to a home birth. I to have been looking into Sacred Healing Arts. I have been going into the Tricare office to speak with a lady about being approved through Tricare.

She had told me-- I need to get my PCM to write up a referral for a midwife who does home births then hope it is approved by BOTH Tripler and Tricare. This makes me nervous. Anybody have any advice on this matter?

I dont know what questions to ask Sacred Healing Arts and is there anything specific that I want written on the referal form? Any advice will help.

Thanks Ladies!
#16 of 32 Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 AM

I'll be impressed if you get Tricare and Tripler to approve, but I wish you luck!

#17 of 32 Old 03-10-2010, 04:53 PM

Best of luck as well. I think most moms I know who had homebirths on island paid out of pocket.

#18 of 32 Old 03-11-2010, 04:19 PM

They are not licensed midwives so it won't be approved. They will only pay for CNMs and there aren't any practicing homebirths here. However, talk with Lori and MAdeleine, they are very flexible with payment plans/sliding scale options etc... It will be worth every penny you spend I promise!
#19 of 32 Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtofourinhawaii View Post
They are not licensed midwives so it won't be approved. They will only pay for CNMs and there aren't any practicing homebirths here. However, talk with Lori and MAdeleine, they are very flexible with payment plans/sliding scale options etc... It will be worth every penny you spend I promise!
This lady knows of which she speaks, I'd take her advice and move forward if I were in your shoes.

#20 of 32 Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Tricare will never ever cover a HB on Hawaii, I have spent years and years fighting them on it. SHA are only $2500 anyway, but to be honest I had a bad experience with Madeleine and I am really disappointed with it so I cant recommend them.

I am being seen by Dr B for my VBAMC and upon his advice I am delivering at Queens, which he says is a far better option than Kap for what I want to do. Best of luck to you.

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#21 of 32 Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 PM

I hired Lori for my homebirth in November 08. Madeleine came to help out during my birth. I have nothing but AMAZING things to say about the two of them. My husband was in the Navy stationed at Pearl. I went to Makalapa for prenatal care until about 20w. They were pushing me to schedule a cesarian due to daughters size, so I quit seeing them, and went to Lori for everything. Tricare will not cover any of it. We paid the $2500 out of pocket, and believe me, it was worth every single penny!!! Lori is very flexible, and doesn't put a time limit on when the money is due. She will work with you. Hiring Lori was the best decision we have ever made. I successfully gave birth to my 9lb 8oz daughter in the water, despite what Tripler said!!
#22 of 32 Old 05-27-2010, 06:00 PM

My husband and I have been talking about when we're going to have another baby, probably next year. Are there any hospitals here that offer waterbirth? I had a hospital waterbirth with a private CNM with my 2nd son in NY. His birth was amazing. I'm probably going to go with a homebirth if I can afford it, but I want to know my options.
#23 of 32 Old 05-27-2010, 06:07 PM

I really learned a lot reading this thread of comments! I planned a homebirth with Miriam Abrim a practicing midwife (and her assistant Diane Peck) last July. After 28 hours of labor and nothing progressing I transferred to Kaiser Hospital with midwife and assistant as my advocates and ended up having a fabulous birth experience (about 10 hours later!). And no, Tricare will not pay for any homebirth in Hawaii because the status of midwifery is that it is "alegal" which means there aren't any legislative regulations. Internal hospital regs are different which is why Tripler and now Kaiser have midwives. But again, they are a bit picky about who they take on. I would love to meet some of you lovely ladies in person as I have consistently felt pretty alone in many of our "alternative" birth and child-rearing choices.
#24 of 32 Old 05-29-2010, 04:54 AM

I think Castle and Kaiser have pools but I don't know if they do waterBIRTHs or just waterLABOR and hope you get out in time?

#25 of 32 Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Absolutely nothing would irritate me more during labor than being rushed out of a birthing pool, or told what to do in general. My hospital waterbirth in NY was amazing, the nurse did intermittent doppler every 45 mins and then every 5 mins when I was pushing. Everybody knew I didn't want to be bothered or have cheerleading going on. So being told to get out of the tub would really annoy me. I'll make sure I make that disctinction when I'm checking out hospitals. But a homebirth is sounding better and better, its just expensive here because insurance doesn't cover it.
#26 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 PM

I just wanted to chime in and say that Dr. Lori is fabulous. She attended our homebirth in 2006 and was family doctor while we lived on Oahu. Best of luck with your birth.
#27 of 32 Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi!! I am the original poster for this thread and I thought I would update...

We just got here not even a month ago and I've chosen Dr. Lori to be my midwife and I can't say enough wonderful things about her!!!

She has just bent over backwards for me and my family to the point of inviting us use of her home for homebirth if I went early and we didn't have a place to live yet. She is so warm and caring and it just shines through her. I haven't known her for long but I totally trust her abilities and instincts already. She has even helped me find a childcare person and doula last minute!

So now I am almost 38 weeks and going to see her for acupuncture here in a few days..I'm very excited!
#28 of 32 Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 PM

ThinkGlobal, that's a great idea to meet up. When I lived in NY, my midwifes practice had a monthly "birth wisdom" circle. Once a month there is a get together at the office and sometimes there is a specific topic like optimal fetal positioning, breastfeeding, babywearing, but lots of times women were free to share their birth stories. It was the highlight of my month and I'd love to get something similar going here. Anyone interested?
#29 of 32 Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkGlobalMama View Post
I really learned a lot reading this thread of comments! I planned a homebirth with Miriam Abrim a practicing midwife (and her assistant Diane Peck) last July. After 28 hours of labor and nothing progressing I transferred to Kaiser Hospital with midwife and assistant as my advocates and ended up having a fabulous birth experience (about 10 hours later!). And no, Tricare will not pay for any homebirth in Hawaii because the status of midwifery is that it is "alegal" which means there aren't any legislative regulations. Internal hospital regs are different which is why Tripler and now Kaiser have midwives. But again, they are a bit picky about who they take on. I would love to meet some of you lovely ladies in person as I have consistently felt pretty alone in many of our "alternative" birth and child-rearing choices.
I just wanted to clarify something:
When you hear reference to a state determining midwifery to be legal, illegal or alegal, they are referring to direct entry midwives (i.e. lay midwives). Certified Nurse Midwives are legal (and have a governing body) in every single state. That is why CNMs are employed at Kaiser and Tripler.
Tricare does not reimburse for births attended by lay midwives in a state where they are alegal/illegal and therefor cannot legally bill an insurance company.

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
#30 of 32 Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Are there any CNM who do homebirths here? And would they be covered by insurance?

User Tag List