Any interest in an off-grid consensual community in AK? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DP and I are saving money towards buying land, preferably in Alaska somewhere. We'd really like to live with other like-minded people, up to 2-3 other families. Each adult in each family would need to bring some sort of skills to the table (everyone has skills, even as simple as child-care or cooking). We'd welcome all faiths (as long as you aren't howling naked at the moon while rubbed in poo or something ) and would want people who practice AP or Unconditional Parenting. We would strive to be as self-sufficient as possible, and be respectful of everyone's personal and mental space (no coming and going into other people's space as we please).

Everyone would have their own cabin, built by anyone/everyone in the group who wanted to help. If someone helps you build yours, you help them in return. It would be a very supportive, give-and-take, accept people where they are type community.

Anyway, let me know what you think! We'd want people to invest some amount of money at some point, and we'd want to talk extensively with anyone interested before making the decision to live with them

Thanks and bless!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#2 of 13 Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 PM

DH and U have discussed pretty much the same thing...we need to clear ourselves of some debt before we could jump in, but we love the idea. We had discussed south coastal (or SE ak) for hydropower and sustenance law freedoms. I'll admit up front that I'm not willing to go sans power or plumbing.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#3 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 03:02 AM

I have toyed with this idea as well. It sounds ideal in many ways. There are a couple of communities like this in the Delta Junction area but they are definitely religious oriented.

I also have friends in Fairbanks that did this. 3 families I think. I'm not sure how it has worked out since we left 3 years ago.
#4 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 06:15 AM

When you are ready to do this, be sure to watch the public notices for land auctions and sales. I was amazed at some of the wonderful land a person could purchase for less than $20,000.
#5 of 13 Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 AM

I too have had a similar dream for most of my life. Here's to you making it a reality!

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#6 of 13 Old 03-07-2010, 02:01 PM

sounds like a plan and good luck... we would need the plumming and power as well my dh has severe sleep apnea and needs a cpap at night all night.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#7 of 13 Old 03-07-2010, 05:12 PM

So howling naked at the moon would be ok as long as we're not covered in poo?

Just teasing. Good luck.
#8 of 13 Old 03-11-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, lots of replies, how neat! Each home/family could decide their own power/bathroom situation. We'd probably have solar for minimal appliance use (such as occasional sewing) and a generator for cold weater, not for daily use.

I am thinking south/east, too. No further north or west than Talkeetna, I think.

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#9 of 13 Old 03-12-2010, 05:36 PM

there are a ton of familes intrested. thats my dream too and i've talked to lots of others who would love to be in on somethimg like that.

i want to stay in fairbanks area though

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#10 of 13 Old 03-14-2010, 03:58 PM

I do eventually want to live in an off the grid consensual community or ecovillage. I planning on building a strawbale on it and want to live on land with a few other like minded families. I don't know where we will end up though. I might want to go for my masters in city planning when the kids are older and Anchorage doesn't have a program. Also our family is on the East Coast and thats hard. We love Alaska though so I can see myself settling here. so it is definately a poosibility we will want to be a part of a community in Alaska in the future.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#11 of 13 Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 AM

straw bale would be awesome! We have wanted to do that for years. We already have the straw lined up from a couple of farmers in Delta. We are looking for some land in a place with low taxes (or none) and few building codes. So far, Delta and Fairbanks are looking pretty good.
#12 of 13 Old 03-16-2010, 12:41 PM

That sounds awesome. I'd like to do something like that someday...but I have to get out of debt first! Like Onyx, I would also prefer to stay in Fbx.

Best of luck!!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#13 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
straw bale would be awesome! We have wanted to do that for years. We already have the straw lined up from a couple of farmers in Delta. We are looking for some land in a place with low taxes (or none) and few building codes. So far, Delta and Fairbanks are looking pretty good.
May I ask what kind of price range the straw is you found?
Seems like everywhere we looked ( not very hard yet) is $10 per bail.
We want to go with straw as well, due to the Rvalue it offers, but at $10 per bail, there is no way we can afford it.
In the Midwest, $2 is more common.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page